What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (2 Viewers)

There’s no way I’d rank gibbs at 11 this week even if Monty doesn’t play. To say there’s only ten guys you’d feel better about starting in the entire league(-qb’s) is a bold statement indeed.
Mike Clay (who I think is one of the best fantasy analysts that exists) has Gibbs RB2 overall this week.

What was the first half and second half split for Gibbs last week?

Because I don't think he was really putting up fantasy points until the game got out of hand and he was running against prevent defense.

I won't deny that there are reasons to think he could have a big week. There are also reasons to think he won't though. I guess we'll see this weekend :)

FWIW, I ended up putting Evans in tonight over him, so watch Evans fall off and Gibbs blow up now.

Because I don't think he was really putting up fantasy points until the game got out of hand and he was running against prevent defense.

I won't deny that there are reasons to think he could have a big week. There are also reasons to think he won't though. I guess we'll see this weekend :)

FWIW, I ended up putting Evans in tonight over him, so watch Evans fall off and Gibbs blow up now.
Until a late drive in the 2nd quarter, the Lions had 13 yards of offense to the Ravens 325. That was not at all on Gibbs. The Lions got hit by a train.

Jr flipped him for Devante Adams this week
I wish I were as confident and good at trades like he is

I'm holding Gibbs and trying to work a deal for Monty, feel like if you have both you might be bulletproof rest of the way.
To the FBG Board, MoP is truly sorry to ruffle thy feathers, I just wanted Gibbs to do something special that pushed Detroit over the top.
I'm sure it will come in good time

Pease forgive me, just wanting to point out potential blind spots
Go Lions Go!
-Cheers!

I've made a lot of strong offers for Gibbs (or for the #2 pick, pre-dynasty-draft). Obviously, what I'm willing to offer now is significantly lower than in was pre-dynasty-draft.

I asked him what an acceptable trade would look like.

He said: Gibbs, his 2024 first and second (likely quite early, good shot at top 3, but he's in a very weak division so he could certainly make the playoffs), for Garrett Wilson, Quentin Johnston, Kendre Miller, Tyjae Spears, and Roschon Johnson. I considered that was decidedly too steep. But I did completely understand that opinion, as I would not want to give up Gibbs; I didn't think the offer was crazy. But he went to great lengths to convince me it was a reasonable degree of overpay. I thought it was a bit more than reasonable. Curious what others might think. (Our league is a bit crazy for RB's, which somewhat makes sense because 2-3 out of 6 offensive starters are RB's.)

Also I wasn't necessarily looking for picks, though I am always happy to stock up. But I just used high picks on those 4 2023 rookies he wanted. Doesn't seem like progress to trade them in for fewer picks.

I've made a lot of strong offers for Gibbs (or for the #2 pick, pre-dynasty-draft). Obviously, what I'm willing to offer now is significantly lower than in was pre-dynasty-draft.

He said: Gibbs, his 2024 first and second (likely quite early, good shot at top 3, but he's in a very weak division so he could certainly make the playoffs), for Garrett Wilson, Quentin Johnston, Kendre Miller, Tyjae Spears, and Roschon Johnson. I considered that was decidedly too steep. But I did completely understand that opinion, as I would not want to give up Gibbs; I didn't think the offer was crazy. But he went to great lengths to convince me it was a reasonable degree of overpay. I thought it was a bit more than reasonable. Curious what others might think. (Our league is a bit crazy for RB's, which somewhat makes sense because 2-3 out of 6 offensive starters are RB's.)

Also I wasn't necessarily looking for picks, though I am always happy to stock up. But I just used high picks on those 4 2023 rookies he wanted. Doesn't seem like progress to trade them in for fewer picks.
I would take that pretty easily.

You would take the Gibbs side? In dynasty?

Halftime report (IMHO): I still don’t see a guy who is anything more than a CoP or third down back.

He looks so small out there and as soon as Monty is back he will be relegated to “Monty needs a breather” and some pass catching situations.

My $0.02 worth a penny.

Halftime report (IMHO): I still don’t see a guy who is anything more than a CoP or third down back.

He looks so small out there and as soon as Monty is back he will be relegated to “Monty needs a breather” and some pass catching situations.

My $0.02 worth a penny.
This is somewhat how I see it. I love his game, but we all remember the thunder and lightning BS that held Swift back.

Gibbs does need to spend this offseason getting a little stronger, more core strength, better balance. Not sure what exactly his longterm outcome is but he is just a rookie. He's mot a final product.

Bye next week and then assume Monty is back 😞
Oh, it's a split at best for monty....can't put this back in the bottle
Craig Reynolds is averaging 6.0 ypc tonight. Same as Gibbs? Can we put him back in a bottle?
If your eyes didn't see what happened tonight this discussion is pointless.
You are asserting things which I never wrote. But hey, you do you.

Yeah. Gibbs plus a 1st and 2 in2024 for a good WR, a WR who might be okay and a couple young RB?

I do think Spears is interesting mind you and he might be good but Gibbs was a high 1st round RB on a good team with excellent offensive line. Easily worth Wilson I think and perhaps more. The 1st and 2nd potentially an upgrade over Johnson and Spears.

You are getting the best player in the deal here. To me it's like trading a dime and 4 nickles for a quarter and 2 picks.

It's not like your starting anyone but Wilson until next season here.

You guys can enjoy the big performance for Gibbs this week, but I promise you once Monty is back he’s a RB3/Flex at best.

Whoever said sell high last week is spot on. See even higher this week.

If you hold you are gonna regret it…

My $0.02 worth a penny

Yeah. Gibbs plus a 1st and 2 in2024 for a good WR, a WR who might be okay and a couple young RB?

I do think Spears is interesting mind you and he might be good but Gibbs was a high 1st round RB on a good team with excellent offensive line. Easily worth Wilson I think and perhaps more. The 1st and 2nd potentially an upgrade over Johnson and Spears.

You are getting the best player in the deal here. To me it's like trading a dime and 4 nickles for a quarter and 2 picks.

Thanks for the input! Interesting. I guess some things factoring in for me are, (1) I spent the #8, #9, #11, and #13 picks for those 4 rookies, and I considered those steals. I would have taken Miller, Spears, and Johnson at #3, #4, #5 if I had thise picks; (2) I'm not real excited about high picks next year. Seems like there are no big RB's coming out; (3) Montgomery got a ridiculous workload before he was injured. When he comes back, are we looking at Jamaal/Swift all over again?

While I did play Evans, I moved him to WR and Puka to flex.

And then FBGs final rankings came out and they had Gibbs at 3rd overall non-QB for my league's scoring system and I figured it was time to stop being stubborn and listen to the folks who probably know more and I swapped Gibbs into my flex.

I ended up winning by a small margin. If I hadn't played Evans over Gibbs on Thursday forcing me to swap Gibbs in for Puka instead, I lose.

Lesson learned: Be stubborn but also be flexible later

Well he pulled out a 2 point win for me last night with that big game so I can’t complain about that draft pick any longer. Hopefully he still sees the ball a decent amount when Monty returns.

Thanks for the input! Interesting. I guess some things factoring in for me are, (1) I spent the #8, #9, #11, and #13 picks for those 4 rookies, and I considered those steals. I would have taken Miller, Spears, and Johnson at #3, #4, #5 if I had thise picks; (2) I'm not real excited about high picks next year. Seems like there are no big RB's coming out; (3) Montgomery got a ridiculous workload before he was injured. When he comes back, are we looking at Jamaal/Swift all over again?
Well perhaps I am under estimating those RBs you would be giving up here.

However Spears to me seems like the best of those 3 and perhaps the shortest path to relevant opportunities.

They all seem like short terms replacement level players in comparison to Gibbs to me. 3rd round picks at RB is relatively high but many back up/COP RB are selected there as well.

I don't know what the 2024 draft class looks like. But there are always good players and I think players who will be similarly good prospects as these. There is a chance of that 1st round pick being a premium selection.

To me getting a top level player like Gibbs is worth paying a lot for as such players are often not available at any price.

It does depend somewhat on the quality of your current roster as well but if you have an otherwise strong team you want to upgrade your lineup at the expense of depth. If you are a weaker team then keep the WRs and depth.

Eta - what you paid for these players tells me how much you value them, but using that as reasoning for why you think your paying too much is a bit of a sunk cost fallacy.

Last edited:
Katie Six

She’s the woman that hauled Gibbs into the stands
What do you mean by irrational exuberance?
I think FBGs currently having
Gibbs
ranked as the 11th best non-QB for this week is irrational exuberance. Wasn't commenting on this thread, which is all over the map really in thoughts about
Gibbs

Could he have a great week? Yeah. But I can think of probably 40ish players I feel more comfortable thinking they're more likely to have a great week. I could easily be wrong and last week was the start of a new trend with
Gibbs
and he's a monster moving forward, but I'm slower to adjust my expectations I guess.

I think the probable outcome for him this weekend is somewhere between 50 and 80 combined yards and like a 25% of a touchdown. I'd love to be wrong though.
Lions starting RB in PPR points each week:

4.3 (hurt 1st half)

So take out the game where Monty got hurt early and we are looking at 19.9 ppg which would be RB3 behind only Mostert and CMC for PPG. So I get the hesitation but it's also pretty easy to justify having Gibbs ranked really high this week.

Lions starting RB averaging 21.46 if you cherry pick & discount the Monty injury game

19.35 for all 8 games - RB4 in the season

Guy in our league had both but traded Gibbs to me

careful he'll steal your girl

though reading this thread I imagine that's already happened a few times

I clicked on her FB page, we have 3 mutual friends. One is my buddy who has owned 5 bars. I will get the scoop.

123 total yards and a TD and people are still whining about this guy. LOL.

I don't think people are whining per se...everyone seems fairly thankful that he got us some fantasy points finally

Wasn't encouraging that it all came in garbage time though
Where will the goal posts be moved now?
People just want to believe that they were right about Monty ... Monty is a JAG. He was just the more experienced player in a very good offense, but anyone who did their research could tell you Gibbs has potential to be special, and would be eased in similar to how Kamara was his rookie year.

It's finally showing thankfully. Hopefully when Monty is healthy the Lions see it that way too and start to use Gibbs more the rest of the way. Sometimes coaches can be "boneheaded"

50-50 at least. DC loves Monty., and Monty has produced.

Craig Reynolds will get a few carries here and there as well.

Last edited:

50-50 at least. DC loves Monty.
For this season I agree once Montgomery is healthy they will split carries again.

However next season I would expect opportunities for Gibbs to keep rising.

As far as roster construction goes this deal would be 5 players for one. So that frees up 4 roster spots to pick up free agents. You need to factor that into the deal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread