What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (2 Viewers)

The Lions and Dan Campbell are 4-1 this year running the ship exactly like you see it right now.
We're talking about the Detroit Lions, perennial losers and they are winning 80% of their games
Do you honestly think they give a damn what any of us think about them spending #12 overall on a CoP RB?

I doubt they see Gibbs that way but they like what Monty brings to the table and he's putting the Lions on his back right now and taking a lot of pressure off Jared Goff
We can ***** about this until we are blue in the face and believe you me, I'm right there with every other Gibbs investor that took him 3-4 rounds way too early
But I'm not going to declare Gibbs an NFL bust, it's my fault for reading too many dynasty posts, and this is a good lesson for redraft players like myself, take a summer vacation and don't get into the day in day out hype from all the media snippets coming in, camp reports are one thing but too many people with voices on twitter clouding judgement or trying to be the next Adam S
No, we don't honestly think the Lions give a damn what any of us think, but we're not talking to them lol.

Completely disagree with your premise here. Yes, they obviously like what Monty brings to the table, but they knew that when they spent the #12 pick on Gibbs. They also liked what Jamaal brought to the table last year, when he did almost exactly what Montgomery has done so far. And they still had room for Swift to score 3 TDs in his first 4 games (Jamaal had 6 TDs in those 4 games, just like Monty has now). And common sense says when you use the #12 pick on a guy, and then ship Swift out for peanuts, they expect him to at a minimum retain that role, more likely to exceed it. He hasn't, and that's the issue. And it certainly seems like the reason he hasn't is because he hasn't played like they expected. He's had opportunities, he just hasn't capitalized.

So again, that isn't the lesson to learn here IMO. This has nothing to do with dynasty, that's the only format I have him in and what I've seen so far is concerning long term as well. Forget twitter, the camp reports were glowing, and all of the tea leaves were pointing towards him having a good season. Not a bell cow or a #1 RB, virtually no one expected that, but a Swift-like season seemed like a reasonable floor. He simply hasn't played well enough to date, and that's on him, not FF players or twitter. And if you're going to write off all rookies for redraft, you're going to miss out on potential league-winners like your boy Achane, who had a lot more working against him than Gibbs did coming into the season. Obviously that's been derailed a bit by his injury, but the point remains.

Really the "lesson" here might be to be a bit skeptical on the Lions front office. They've struck gold on some picks, but Jamo, Gibbs, the Swift trade, etc., aren't looking so hot at the moment, no matter how many hype videos they show from the draft room. I'm not saying they're bad by any stretch, but not good enough to blindly trust the "draft capital" argument. A good reminder that even the professionals get it wrong fairly often (not declaring those "wrong" yet btw). I wasn't super-high on Gibbs, I thought the 12th pick was way too high, but no one could have expected him to be this bad in the passing game so far. I'm still somewhat hopeful it's just nerves and getting adjusted to the NFL game, time will tell.

Last edited:
The Lions and Dan Campbell are 4-1 this year running the ship exactly like you see it right now.
We're talking about the Detroit Lions, perennial losers and they are winning 80% of their games
Do you honestly think they give a damn what any of us think about them spending #12 overall on a CoP RB?

I doubt they see Gibbs that way but they like what Monty brings to the table and he's putting the Lions on his back right now and taking a lot of pressure off Jared Goff
We can ***** about this until we are blue in the face and believe you me, I'm right there with every other Gibbs investor that took him 3-4 rounds way too early
But I'm not going to declare Gibbs an NFL bust, it's my fault for reading too many dynasty posts, and this is a good lesson for redraft players like myself, take a summer vacation and don't get into the day in day out hype from all the media snippets coming in, camp reports are one thing but too many people with voices on twitter clouding judgement or trying to be the next Adam S

:deadhorse: I have been beating the Swift horse since Lions drafted Gibby as there was no need.

Would never draft a change of pace RB at 12 when one was already on the roster, but they did.

Gibby is going to make some big plays this season and contribute to a winning team, but it probably won`t be for your FF team.

That is all Lions fans want at this point.
I don't think that's necessarily fair. Watching Swift this season it's easy to understand why the Lions Coach staff became frustrated with him. They knew the 2023 version of Swift was in there but, for whatever reason Swift didn't want to be that guy for the Lions.

And it's not because the Lions offense is so much worse than the Eagles because that just isn't true. Swift was unreliable for the Lions.

Swifts career YPC last year was 5.5 for Lions, 4.8 career, and 7.8 per reception. Always been productive. And he is tougher inside than Gibbs.
I know his metrics but he was absolutely unreliable. Not running the scheme, not finishing runs the way he was coached or nagging injuries coaches felt he should have been able to play through. The back we are seeing in Philly so far is not the guy we saw in Detroit.

It is the same RB I saw and I watch every Lions game. Numbers don`t lie, he was always productive with the ball in his hands.

Gibbs his replacement has already missed a game 4 weeks in. RBs miss games in the NFL.

Teammates liked him but Swift was in the doghouse for whatever reason in Detroit and they got rid of him. Philly got a quality RB for cheap. And he will probably get injured at some point this year.

I can't bring myself to cut him (redraft and short bench league), but as soon as I do you know what will happen next... sorry guys

:deadhorse: I have been beating the Swift horse since Lions drafted Gibby as there was no need.

Would never draft a change of pace RB at 12 when one was already on the roster, but they did.

Gibby is going to make some big plays this season and contribute to a winning team, but it probably won`t be for your FF team.

I don't think that's necessarily fair. Watching Swift this season it's easy to understand why the Lions Coach staff became frustrated with him. They knew the 2023 version of Swift was in there but, for whatever reason Swift didn't want to be that guy for the Lions.

And it's not because the Lions offense is so much worse than the Eagles because that just isn't true. Swift was unreliable for the Lions.

Swifts career YPC last year was 5.5 for Lions, 4.8 career, and 7.8 per reception. Always been productive. And he is tougher inside than Gibbs.
I know his metrics but he was absolutely unreliable. Not running the scheme, not finishing runs the way he was coached or nagging injuries coaches felt he should have been able to play through. The back we are seeing in Philly so far is not the guy we saw in Detroit.

Sounds like Gibbs right now :)
Gibbs isn't bringing Swift's performance level but at least he has an excuse for not executing the offense to the satisfaction of the coaches.

Another way to view Gibbs vis-a-vis Swift is it is fair to say the Lions coaching staff has a history of limiting players who are not executing the offense the way it was designed. They did it to a highly productive Swift last year.

Gibbs isn't bringing Swift's performance level but at least he has an excuse for not executing the offense to the satisfaction of the coaches.

Another way to view Gibbs vis-a-vis Swift is it is fair to say the Lions coaching staff has a history of limiting players who are not executing the offense the way it was designed. They did it to a highly productive Swift last year.

Philly is happy.

We will keep this about Gibbs as it is his thread.

What's his excuse? Not smart enough to figure out the nuances? He's dinged up just like swfit. The major difference to me is Gibbs isn't capable of running between the tackles...

Still, why draft him 12th overall?
This is the thing. If he were a 3rd round NFL draft pick this wouldn't be a conversation. I think going at pick 12 comes with at least a little expectation. In the fantasy world, it's the same. Obviously our community overdrafted this guy. If he went in the 7th or 8th then this thread is prolly cut in half. That 3rd or 4th round draft capital brings expectation. Lions are 4-1 though and I'm thrilled for them.
Comparatively speaking, Detroit blew this pick way more than the fantasy community. There is nothing for the dynasty community to learn from this. It just makes no sense.

No, we don't honestly think the Lions give a damn what any of us think, but we're not talking to them lol.

Completely disagree with your premise here. Yes, they obviously like what Monty brings to the table, but they knew that when they spent the #12 pick on Gibbs. They also liked what Jamaal brought to the table last year, when he did almost exactly what Montgomery has done so far. And they still had room for Swift to score 3 TDs in his first 4 games (Jamaal had 6 TDs in those 4 games, just like Monty has now). And common sense says when you use the #12 pick on a guy, and then ship Swift out for peanuts, they expect him to at a minimum retain that role, more likely to exceed it. He hasn't, and that's the issue. And it certainly seems like the reason he hasn't is because he hasn't played like they expected. He's had opportunities, he just hasn't capitalized.

So again, that isn't the lesson to learn here IMO. This has nothing to do with dynasty, that's the only format I have him in and what I've seen so far is concerning long term as well. Forget twitter, the camp reports were glowing, and all of the tea leaves were pointing towards him having a good season. Not a bell cow or a #1 RB, virtually no one expected that, but a Swift-like season seemed like a reasonable floor. He simply hasn't played well enough to date, and that's on him, not FF players or twitter. And if you're going to write off all rookies for redraft, you're going to miss out on potential league-winners like your boy Achane, who had a lot more working against him than Gibbs did coming into the season. Obviously that's been derailed a bit by his injury, but the point remains.

Really the "lesson" here might be to be a bit skeptical on the Lions front office. They've struck gold on some picks, but Jamo, Gibbs, the Swift trade, etc., aren't looking so hot at the moment, no matter how many hype videos they show from the draft room. I'm not saying they're bad by any stretch, but not good enough to blindly trust the "draft capital" argument. A good reminder that even the professionals get it wrong fairly often (not declaring those "wrong" yet btw). I wasn't super-high on Gibbs, I thought the 12th pick was way too high, but no one could have expected him to be this bad in the passing game so far. I'm still somewhat hopeful it's just nerves and getting adjusted to the NFL game, time will tell.
Achane is a league winner? He went on IR yesterday
Achane? He didn't play Week 1 and 2, League Championship?
You have Gibbs in Dynasty but want to lecture me about REDRAFT???
Is this Mic working?

I'm not going to go line by line with you on this but exactly what I posted is what has you wanting to vent

-You have an issue because I punched the dynasty community right between the eyes and I would get your hands up because I am going to keep swinging all season
-What rookies are winning league championships this year? I can find the same production with Vets and a lot less risk in Redraft

We can agree to disagree on this Hump but get those gloves up buddy
:boxing:

(thanks for the post)
Cheers!

Last edited:

What's his excuse? Not smart enough to figure out the nuances? He's dinged up just like swfit. The major difference to me is Gibbs isn't capable of running between the tackles...
His running has actually been the one good thing.

If Monty were the one dinged and missing time this topic would be reading very differently.
I think Gibbs will be a factor once he gets RB1 touches.

It doesn't seem like you have been following this one too closely. That's probably a good decision, most of us are spending waaaaay too much time on this one.

If Monty were the one dinged and missing time this topic would be reading very differently.
❌
Monty was dinged up and missed a game and Gibbs put up a whopping 9.2 pts in ppr.

He isn't going to get RB1 touches (on a regular basis). He was supposed to be talented enough to be a good fantasy RB while getting RB1b touches, so far he hasn't been.

It doesn't seem like you have been following this one too closely. That's probably a good decision, most of us are spending waaaaay too much time on this one.

Bottom line for FF is Gibby missed practice yesterday, might not play this weekend or be limited. So adjust your lineup accordingly.

Last edited:
❌
Monty was dinged up and missed a game and Gibbs put up a whopping 9.2 pts in ppr.

He isn't going to get RB1 touches (on a regular basis). He was supposed to be talented enough to be a good fantasy RB while getting RB1b touches, so far he hasn't been.
The difference being that Monty has found the end zone.
Take away the TD's and Gibbs is just as productive ... per touch.
... would you trade Gibbs straight up for Monty in dynasty?

He'll never get RB1 touches. Just listen to Campbell's press conference. This is the whole point. We already so Gibbs start with Monty missing a game. It was nothing impressive.

❌

In redraft I would trade Gibbs for PK Jake Elliott!

❌

This is a silly argument. You cant take away the TDs. Most are goalline touches. These are touches Gibbs will NEVER get because hes too small.

Achane is a league winner? He went on IR yesterday
Achane? He didn't play Week 1 and 2, League Championship?
You have Gibbs in Dynasty but want to lecture me about REDRAFT???
Is this Mic working?

I'm not going to go line by line with you on this but exactly what I posted is what has you wanting to vent

-You have an issue because I punched the dynasty community right between the eyes and I would get your hands up because I am going to keep swinging all season
-What rookies are winning league championships this year? I can find the same production with Vets and a lot less risk in Redraft

We can agree to disagree on this Hump but get those gloves up buddy
:boxing:

(thanks for the post)
Cheers!
No offense MOP
That's how YOU feel and if you want to call me DUMB in front of the entire Shark Pool
-Only hurting yourself buddy, and you're skirting the board rules but that's on you

I remind you that you argued and tried to insult me on the very issue I laid out as being a problem
Dynasty vs Redraft and stark contrast in mindset

I'm not mad at you for doing some of the heavy lifting in proving my point
Again I thank you for your post, and I wish I could make you understand what you are doing here but...
We're going to agree to disagree on this

Once again
Cheers!

(Rotowire) Gibbs (hamstring) said that he probably won't know until Friday if he'll be healthy enough to play Sunday at Tampa Bay, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports.

Analysis: Gibbs strained his hamstring in practice last Friday and ended up missing Detroit's blowout win over the Panthers on Sunday. He was then held out of practice Wednesday, though he seems hopeful to get back on the field in at least a limited capacity by the end of the week. If Gibbs doesn't end up playing this weekend, the Lions will have Craig Reynolds and possibly Zonovan Knight (shoulder) as depth options behind lead runner David Montgomery. Lions running backs coach Scottie Montgomery said Wednesday that Gibbs is "right where he should be" and is deriving extra motivation from the knowledge that his early impact hasn't met outside expectations

❌

You say that as if it isn't a huge difference. 6 TDs vs. 0 is kind of glaring, you can't just "take them away".

It's about a lot more than per touch numbers too. Those are supposed to be much higher for receptions than they are for carries, and Gibbs is at a paltry 5 ypr. He's also been very "unproductive" when he slips and falls and drops passes, which don't get accounted for in the per-touch numbers. His pass pro has been awful as well.

That hypothetical trade would depend on the league and my roster. If I'm in a win-now 1-2 yr. window, absolutely I make that deal straight up. If I'm in a rebuild then I'd hold and hope he figures it out since I wouldn't expect to contend with Monty anyway. Either way, I don't expect Gibbs to ever get sustained RB1 touches, if it isn't Monty it'll very likely be someone else.

He’s healthy as an ox, this Friday injury is a fabrication to avoid healthy scratch blowback. The Lions will need Jamo and Gibbs making plays to beat the 49ers or Eagles.
Bottom line is if this turd was any good, he’d be playing and getting gl touches

Good post.

Although I have always been more dynasty focused than you when it comes to FF I concur with what you are saying.

All the noise about players as prospects is a huge vehicle for people because there is a market for this information, analysis and opinion. A lot of it is noise though.

I dont do twitter and even though my focus is more dynasty oriented I have been tuning most of this out. Since covid cancelled the combine really.

I have my own methods of research already tried and tested to fall back on, and while I have learned a lot from other peoples research on these things in the past, I just tune most of it out now.

I could do more armchair scouting of watching the players than I have. I did learn a lot trying to do my own charting with this in the past but it takes too much time. So I dont do that nearly as much as I used to.

Its actually kind of fun for me being surprised by some of these players like Achane when they emerge in the NFL now that I havent been researching them all beforehand.

❌

If I played in a FF league that TDs only counted 1 point yes.

Good post.

Although I have always been more dynasty focused than you when it comes to FF I concur with what you are saying.

All the noise about players as prospects is a huge vehicle for people because there is a market for this information, analysis and opinion. A lot of it is noise though.

I dont do twitter and even though my focus is more dynasty oriented I have been tuning most of this out. Since covid cancelled the combine really.

I have my own methods of research already tried and tested to fall back on, and while I have learned a lot from other peoples research on these things in the past, I just tune most of it out now.

I could do more armchair scouting of watching the players than I have. I did learn a lot trying to do my own charting with this in the past but it takes too much time. So I dont do that nearly as much as I used to.

Its actually kind of fun for me being surprised by some of these players like Achane when they emerge in the NFL now that I havent been researching them all beforehand.

NFL Draft position sways FF players. High first rounders have higher expectations.

Had the Lions or whoever drafted Gibby in the third round there would be 3-5 pages on him tops, not 40.

❌
Is that a fair analysis? He had 17 carries for 80 yards, that's a good game IRL against a team that has given up 3.6 YPC to RBs not named Gibbs (Sanders - 4, Dillon - 3.7, Etienne - 2.8, Pierce 3.3). The Lions as a whole ran 3 plays inside the 5 yard line. Gibbs had one opportunity from the four, he didn't score.

Montgomery has scored on four of eight carries inside the five (4, 3, 2 & 1 yards each).

Reynolds has scored on one of two opportunities inside the five (5 yards).

Shouldn't we give Gibbs a second opportunity inside the five before getting all bent out of shape that he didn't score on his lone carry inside the five?

Nacua
Achane
Laporta
Stroud

Four potential league winners, not even including Bijon, who was hyped as an RB1 out of the gate, and after a third of this season, sits firmly in the middle of the RB1 pack, with plenty of tape indicating he could still ascend to CMC-type levels by fantasy playoffs. And don't even get me started on Achane, who on a PPG basis is even out-producing CMC, and absolutely would be in contention for league-winner production if he comes back to full health by week 15.

And this isn't including a bunch of other rookies who have flashed and are lurking towards huge relevance - even if not league winning - in year 1... Flowers, McLaughlin, Addison, Rice, Mims, M. Wilson, Roshon, Downs, Spears.

Rookies aren't only relevant for dynasty. Not this year or any year. Jahmyr Gibbs busting (so far) doesn't change that in any way.

❌
Is that a fair analysis? He had 17 carries for 80 yards, that's a good game IRL against a team that has given up 3.6 YPC to RBs not named Gibbs (Sanders - 4, Dillon - 3.7, Etienne - 2.8, Pierce 3.3). The Lions as a whole ran 3 plays inside the 5 yard line. Gibbs had one opportunity from the four, he didn't score.

Montgomery has scored on four of eight carries inside the five (4, 3, 2 & 1 yards each).

Reynolds has scored on one of two opportunities inside the five (5 yards).

Shouldn't we give Gibbs a second opportunity inside the five before getting all bent out of shape that he didn't score on his lone carry inside the five?
Lol ... people in here posting like he's the new Ameer Abdullah.
Plenty of backs Gibbs size score TD's in this league. Ekeler had 18 last year ... 20 the year before.
Gibbs will earn his touches and the TD's will come. Just a matter of time.

Good post.

Thank you, right back at you

-I wanted to say how I come up with this method of the Big Bowl games and why I put a lot of emphasis on theme.
Typically the games with Top 10 teams tend to be loaded up with potential 1st and 2nd Rd picks, we all know that many of the later round picks are long shots to make it in the NFL

I always love to retell and share this story. In 1991, a QB from Mississippi marched his team into Tallahassee, FL to take on the Seminoles of Florida State when Bobby Bowden was at the height of his coaching career and those Golden Eagles won the game. Who was this QB?

Brett Favre

❌

If I played in a FF league that TDs only counted 1 point yes.

Good post.

NFL Draft position sways FF players. High first rounders have higher expectations.

Had the Lions or whoever drafted Gibby in the third round there would be 3-5 pages on him tops, not 40.
Agreed.

Draft position is still the strongest data point of any of them as far as player evaluation goes, because that is the composite of all other forms of evaluation one could apply and done by professionals who are paid to do these evaluations, with much more information than any of us have available.

That said teams make draft picks for different reasons than FF. So its our job to figure out if a teams decision will lead to fantasy points or not.

The FF community generally does a good job of sorting that out, but we make mistakes too, just as teams make mistakes with their picks as well.

Still, why draft him 12th overall?
this. the alleged tight relationship between campbell and the GM is bs. campbell couldn't care less if gibbs is a gameday scratch forever as long as his lovechild montgomery gets 25 carries per game.
Salty Gibbs owner alert!! 🤣
I'm annoyed by it too, and I didn't even get him, as hard as I tried to acquire that #2 pick. As a Swift owner, I think I feel a very strong empathy here.

Jahmyr Gibbs (hamstring) did not practice on Thursday.

Gibbs his trending toward missing a second-consecutive game, which would put David Montgomery into RB1 territory against the Buccaneers. Despite being labeled as day-to-day by head coach Dan Campbell earlier this week, Gibbs’ absence from practice suggests he’s got a few more hurdles to clear than initially expected. We’ll see if he gets on the field Friday, but we aren’t expecting much at this point.

❌

In redraft I would trade Gibbs for PK Jake Elliott!

I offered the Gibbs owner Addison & Muth. He has 9 RBs, JJ & is streaming TEs. He could replace one of his scrub WR3/Flex trash bags immediately & IR Pat.

Dude said no thanks without a counter.

:shrug:
That's a good offer. Probably overpaying after the JJ news. Some people just don't make trades.

I don't think a dynasty owner will be ready to part ways after just a 4 game sample.
Redraft is where you might have a chance on getting him for cheap.

Does anyone care anymore? Have we completed the grieving process and laid to rest this stillborn draft pick?

May I ask why you seem so personally invested in trying to controlling the narrative of this thread?

You're failing to do so in spectacular fashion bc of the outlandish nature of the hyperbole. You make no pretext of having a logical argument and seem allergic to data. What exactly is it that motivates the vitrol?
Link

Does anyone care anymore? Have we completed the grieving process and laid to rest this stillborn draft pick?

May I ask why you seem so personally invested in trying to controlling [control] the narrative of this thread?

You're failing to do so in spectacular fashion bc of the outlandish nature of the hyperbole. You make no pretext of having a logical argument and seem allergic to data. What exactly is it that motivates the vitrol?
is vitrol a steroid Gibbs should be on to start producing?

Users who are viewing this thread