What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (3 Viewers)

LOL he's not needed. You're being reactionary and not analytical.

He may be JAG but we don't have near enough information to know if he is or isn't. Fantasy players completely fell in love with his #12 draft position and completely ignored the contract they gave Monty.

People also dismissed Monty's talent. He's a much better RB than petulant fantasy managers ever gave him credit for.

This is what happens when you try to wish your dreams into existence.
:goodposting:

This is by far the biggest bust pick I've ever made in fantasy. I blame myself for not doing the research. As I've gotten older I've had less time to research every player and rely on the Draft Dominator app. Ever since I've had horrible drafts year after year. This year tales the cake. My team is horrendous and taking this guy in the 3rd is reason #1. Not blaming the app, blaming myself for using it. No more.

This is by far the biggest bust pick I've ever made in fantasy. I blame myself for not doing the research. As I've gotten older I've had less time to research every player and rely on the Draft Dominator app. Ever since I've had horrible drafts year after year. This year tales the cake. My team is horrendous and taking this guy in the 3rd is reason #1. Not blaming the app, blaming myself for using it. No more.
So can you show me, had you done your full research, where is the info that would have knocked Gibbs farther down your list?

How many dynasty owners would trade Gibbs for Montgomery straight up right now?
I'm a Lions homer, so I watch every game, and a Gibbs owner in 2 of my 4 dynasty leagues. His value hasn't changed much for me, and I would not consider this deal at all.
Gibbs usage through 4 games isn't what I expected/hoped for, but I still have high expectations for him. I would be curious if the people who have watched all 4 games are as down on him as the fantasy owners who just see the numbers. He looks to me like he has the acceleration that was advertised, good contact balance, and good leg drive. I actually been encouraged by what I see as far as ability. He appears to run stronger than I expected due to his size.
I can't explain the draft capital vs usage thus far, other than to say that the team has a longer view than fantasy owners. I would be surprised if they are disappointed in what they've seen, but I'm not a scout.

I'm a Lions homer, so I watch every game, and a Gibbs owner in 2 of my 4 dynasty leagues. His value hasn't changed much for me, and I would not consider this deal at all.
Gibbs usage through 4 games isn't what I expected/hoped for, but I still have high expectations for him. I would be curious if the people who have watched all 4 games are as down on him as the fantasy owners who just see the numbers. He looks to me like he has the acceleration that was advertised, good contact balance, and good leg drive. I actually been encouraged by what I see as far as ability. He appears to run stronger than I expected due to his size.
I can't explain the draft capital vs usage thus far, other than to say that the team has a longer view than fantasy owners. I would be surprised if they are disappointed in what they've seen, but I'm not a scout.
Not thrilled with his usage yet. Biggest surprise to me is that their defense is playing great as opposed to last year

So a lot of the game plans are just play really good defense, and wear the down the clock running the ball with long drives, no turnovers and keep the chains moving

With that being said the “lack of creativity” in his usage and designed plays for him is what bothers me the most. Just about Every player on the Lions offense has had a big play except for the guy who runs 23mph. They have not once got him the ball in space which makes zero sense

On Goff’s int Gibbs was wide open in the flat and could have easily had a big play, but Goff forced it to St.Brown in double coverage

After game 1, his arrow was pointing up, cause he nearly scored a TD using his speed, and he broke several tackles. Now it's pointing down because of low usage and meh results. My early impression is that his between the tackles vision and ability not as good as Montgomery's hence the lack of use last night with the lead. The Lions haven't used him enough as a downfield or over the middle receiver, where he can use speed or make one person miss. In the DET offense, he's a buy low candidate. I think he'll improve. I'm calling BS on the Lions considering taking him at 1.06. And I still think the Jameson suspension and uncertainty was a factor in taking Gibbs at 1.12. The Lions hit home runs on their 2 2nd round picks.

Just to keep the trend going because people seemed to stop:

Kamara rookie season through 4 weeks
15 rushes for 83 yds - 5.5 ypc and 1 TD
20 receptions on 28 targets for 147 yds - 7.3 ypr and 1 TD

Gibbs rookie season through 4 weeks
39 rushes for 179 yds - 4.5 ypc and 0 TD
14 receptions on 18 targets for 70 yds - 5 ypr and 0 TD

This is exactly how I see it as well. Although it leads me to believe there’s week winning games to be had on my bench coming up. It’ll be frustrating for sure. It kind of feels like the lions are only playing half their hand right now. Maybe that changes when jamo comes back idk.

Eta. In response to monty for gibbs If competing Monty makes an intriguing piece for the roster. As weird as it feels to say this monty could end up being the rb1 this year.

He is the classic buy low candidate for sure. Last night was rough. I have Gibbs in my home league.

For people with Gibbs on your roster, what type of players would you accept in a trade?

So can you show me, had you done your full research, where is the info that would have knocked Gibbs farther down your list?
I would've realized this same EXACT story played out last year. I would've realized they gave Monty a $18m contract. I would've realized he is a tiny running back that went a lot higher in the draft than anyone expected.

He is the classic buy low candidate for sure. Last night was rough. I have Gibbs in my home league.

For people with Gibbs on your roster, what type of players would you accept in a trade?
Follow up question: for those without Gibbs what would you offer? Because I'm going to take a wild guess and say these two answers could be very far apart. Which means he's likely a begrudging hold.

He looks great as a runner. He looks horrible as a receiver. Slipping, running wrong routes, dropping balls. How many times did they put him in motion and hand it off to Montgomery last night? They used a 12th pick on a decoy.

Follow up question: for those without Gibbs what would you offer? Because I'm going to take a wild guess and say these two answers could be very far apart. Which means he's likely a begrudging hold.

Yeah may be tough to pry away given owners investment. And his production makes it tough to want to give up too much

I don't see it at all. He looks fast but he also looks small and he doesn't look all that shifty honestly. Montgomery looks shiftier at this point. I have to stop starting this guy. I'm going to put him on the block and see what i can get

I don't see it at all. He looks fast but he also looks small and he doesn't look all that shifty honestly. Montgomery looks shiftier at this point. I have to stop starting this guy. I'm going to put him on the block and see what i can get

Thanks. Obviously, you'd love to get Christian McCaffrey for him. ;) But what are some realistic type players you'd trade him for today?

Thanks. Obviously, you'd love to get Christian McCaffrey for him. ;) But what are some realistic type players you'd trade him for today?

Well I'm weak at wr so I'm thinking maybe an aj brown if the owner is dumb enough...would take a devonta smith type as well

I'm not saying I'd buy low just yet. But he's the classic situation. Lots of talent and high draft capital underused on a big stage.
And a great offense which may get even better when Jameson returns and safeties can't cheat, ala Miami with Cheetah and Waddle. He's also one injury away from RB 1.

Well I'm weak at wr so I'm thinking maybe an aj brown if the owner is dumb enough...would take a devonta smith type as well
Zero chance you get those two. I said he's worth a Miles Sanders type at best right now. I doubt you can get Achane. For WR maybe a Zay Flowers/Nico Collins.

The guy has scored 32 points total in 4 weeks in my league and that includes a game where Monty didn't play.

Zero chance you get those two. I said he's worth a Miles Sanders type at best right now. I doubt you can get Achane. For WR maybe a Zay Flowers/Nico Collins.

The guy has scored 32 points total in 4 weeks in my league and that includes a game where Monty didn't play.

You are correct...I know that was a dream scenario and part of me believes i should try because of this board. There were so many predictions that this guy was going to be a top fantasy back. Back in the real world though i just don't know if you are going to find that homer in your league

not happening

You are correct...I know that was a dream scenario and part of me believes i should try because of this board. There were so many predictions that this guy was going to be a top fantasy back. Back in the real world though i just don't know if you are going to find that homer in your league

That would have been tough to pull off even during the draft. Those guys usually went ahead of Gibbs from what I saw. And certainly not now after seeing their production and usage.

That would have been tough to pull off even during the draft. Those guys usually went ahead of Gibbs from what I saw. And certainly not now after seeing their production and usage.

Brown yes but not smith. Gibbs was taken in the 2nd in almost all my leagues (versions of modified keeper). You can go back up this thread and see the predictions for a min of 1500 yards from this guy

I have Gibbs in two leagues and it's been an ugly start for sure, especially last night with him burning one of my starter spots while Monty eviscerated me. I'm as frustrated as anyone and just as dumbfounded as how a NFL franchise can go spend the #12 overall pick on a RB and have this little usage.

To answer your question Joe - I doubt I'll be trading him. No doubt I may get a few buy low offers. Some of the comments on this thread comparing Gibbs to CEH or DeeJay Dallas/Chuba Hubbard are laughable to me. Gibbs ran a 4.36 forty at the combine and if you watch his tape from Bama, there are a lot of Wow plays. He is a homerun hitter. I remember watching CEH, and he was good at LSU but nowhere near as explosive as Gibbs.

My take is Gibbs looks like a rookie that's not comfortable just yet, combined with the case of last night where most of his touches seemed to set him up for failure with Quay Walker being all over him before he could take a step. Gibbs wasn't given the plays that were set up for success, Monty was. Gibbs did have a bad drop and slipped, etc. He's trying to play too fast and looks a bit out of control and lacking confidence. He's definitely hurting my team and will be on the bench until he produces. We heard the Lions franchise compare him to Marshall Faulk and by trading Swift and taking Gibbs so high, they obviously see huge potential in him. We live in a world where most people have no patience for anything, and that includes fantasy football.

Last night it was obvious the Lions O-Line was dominating the Packers. It would have helped Gibbs to have received some of those traditional touches on 1st and 2nd down but it seemed like the only RB carries he had were on 3rd and long draw plays. I don't think Montgomery is anything special, but he's a solid-strong RB that can get his yards when his OL is dominating. Gibbs could have as well. The toughest part of this for me is will the Lions ever start using Gibbs in traditional 1st/2nd down runs behind their very good OL. If they do and combine it with his other skills, he will take off to some degree, but I do downgrade him some because of the Lions history with Jamaal Williams at the goalline and now Montgomery. It is weird to me they think a much faster RB who has a smaller frame to hit can't get in the endzone just as effectively.

Montgomery was the man last night. I'll be surprised in week 10 if it's still this much of a disparity, and if Gibbs doesn't pick it up as the season moves on.

On the flipside, I'd consider offering to trade away David Montgomery for the right player. And it would be a lot. Not because he's not a good player. I just can't imagine his value will ever be higher.

There are two different conversations here.
In redraft, sure, he's disappointing, but I would also argue he was ranked at his ceiling. The Lions blueprint was established last year, RBBC with a grinder and a space guy. Gibbs was being drafted in an area where there were still defined lead backs who's volume is what you want. I would view him as a potential buy low, just because I think there will be more opportunities as the season progresses. In games where the Lions have a solid lead, I would expect results like last night. In closer, more competitive games, I think there will be games where Gibbs sees more targets, and in turn puts up solid numbers. The guy is going to have some breakaway plays eventually, it's his calling card.
In Dynasty, I just can't understand anyone who has watched him feeling like his value has declined. It's 4 games, and he's actually looked better than expected at what I thought were going to be weaknesses. I guess I tend to be more patient with guys who have his pedigree, and who have shown his ability.

In redraft, sure, he's disappointing, but I would also argue he was ranked at his ceiling. The Lions blueprint was established last year, RBBC with a grinder and a space guy. Gibbs was being drafted in an area where there were still defined lead backs who's volume is what you want. I would view him as a potential buy low, just because I think there will be more opportunities as the season progresses. In games where the Lions have a solid lead, I would expect results like last night. In closer, more competitive games, I think there will be games where Gibbs sees more targets, and in turn puts up solid numbers. The guy is going to have some breakaway plays eventually, it's his calling card.
In Dynasty, I just can't understand anyone who has watched him feeling like his value has declined. It's 4 games, and he's actually looked better than expected at what I thought were going to be weaknesses. I guess I tend to be more patient with guys who have his pedigree, and who have shown his ability.

You aren't 'buying low' however because he was drafted at his ceiling

And your point is that you are going to roll him out every week and his 5pts on the 'hope' that he gets some catches and additional carries? Monty is going to be there all season, that's not going to change

That's a recipe for losing

You aren't 'buying low' however because he was drafted at his ceiling

And your point is that you are going to roll him out every week and his 5pts on the 'hope' that he gets some catches and additional carries? Monty is going to be there all season, that's not going to change

That's a recipe for losing
Buying low in that if you can get someone who will sell out of frustration for a lower ceiling player. I wouldn't buy and count as him as my RB1 or RB2, but I would be fine with him as my RB3/sometimes flex. Someone I start based on matchups. It's likely most won't sell this way due to the price they paid, but there are always those owners out there who react out of frustration. I would be sniffing around for those owners.

Achane's big game has increased the expectation of what Gibbs should be doing. When a field stretcher like Jameson comes into the game, ala Cheetah, I think Gibbs will do better. How does pff rate Gibbs' vision?

People need to stop comparing this to Williams/Swift. He's not even close to what Swift did last year. Swift had 8 TDs. Swift averaged 11.8 ppg in half ppr. Gibbs is average 7.9 and that includes a game he was the main RB. Swift broke a lot of big plays last year. Swift is better.

I'm not saying I'd buy low just yet. But he's the classic situation. Lots of talent and high draft capital underused on a big stage.
And a great offense which may get even better when Jameson returns and safeties can't cheat, ala Miami with Cheetah and Waddle. He's also one injury away from RB 1.
To be fair, we saw him last week one injury away when Monty didn't play. He may have been an RB1 in usage, but surely wasn't in production.

… he’s just a JAG.
LOL he's not needed. You're being reactionary and not analytical.

He may be JAG but we don't have near enough information to know if he is or isn't. Fantasy players completely fell in love with his #12 draft position and completely ignored the contract they gave Monty.

People also dismissed Monty's talent. He's a much better RB than petulant fantasy managers ever gave him credit for.

This is what happens when you try to wish your dreams into existence.

Wut? Ignoring Monty? Wishing dreams into existence? In August Dan Campbell said the Saints Ingram/Kamara was the template for Montgomery/Gibbs.

"People" aren't wishing up dreams here. The Lions told everyone what the plan was.

We all saw the Lions draft room going nuts after drafting Gibbs like they won the lottery. I'm not buying that the Lions drafted a guy at 12 who wasn't needed or a part of their plans. That doesn't pass the smell test.

Not sure people drafting Gibbs high were necessarily overlooking Montgomery, but I do think many people simply don't think he's that great. His usage is high and he's getting TDs. 3.8 ypc? If those kind of stats are great Leonard Fournette wouldn't be out of the NFL at 28. Montgomery is a fairly pedestrian, high volume RB who actually isn't even being used in the pass game as much as he's been in the past.

2017 Mark Ingram was much more talented than 2023 David Montgomery. I'm not even sure that is debatable. That didn’t stop the Saints from drafting Alvin Kamara in the 2nd round and using him.

If the Lions braintrust actually envisioned a Ingram/Kamara backfield, they haven't enacted it. The question is why? Again, they are winning so it really doesn't matter, but the bet for fantasy players was that Gibbs would have a Kamara like role his rookie year, and the Lions coach and management claimed to have drafted him for that type of usage. Since that isn't happening yet, it's reasonable to speculate why.

The silver lining is that Kamara didn't really hit his stride until week 4 in 2017, so there may still be hope. I kind of do agree with the buy low takes. Especially for those who believe in his talent.

My bigger concern is that the Lions coaches might be the ones wishing and dreaming of an Ingram/Kamara two headed monster but in reality are just content to churn out a bunch of carries with Jamaal Williams/Montgomery type guys instead.

Achane's big game has increased the expectation of what Gibbs should be doing. When a field stretcher like Jameson comes into the game, ala Cheetah, I think Gibbs will do better. How does pff rate Gibbs' vision?
Funny note on PFF rankings (I'm not a PFF hater like some, I do think they are worthwhile numbers and appreciate what they do):

Looking at season to date, who would you guess has the highest PFF rating on the Chicago Bears offense? After you named the other 10 players, I'll tell you it's Justin Fields.

Wasn't meant as an insult. Was meant so I had someone to trade him to.
My apologies..in my experience that's normally been the go-to fantasy slander. Thanks for clarifying.

I definitely view him as a textbook buy low candidate right now, and I'm a DMont owner that's not rooting for him. I thought he looked very explosive in the first quarter. DMont isn't gonna get 30+ carries/game.

Just to keep the trend going because people seemed to stop:

Kamara rookie season through 4 weeks
15 rushes for 83 yds - 5.5 ypc and 1 TD
20 receptions on 28 targets for 147 yds - 7.3 ypr and 1 TD

Gibbs rookie season through 4 weeks
39 rushes for 179 yds - 4.5 ypc and 0 TD
14 receptions on 18 targets for 70 yds - 5 ypr and 0 TD
What do you mean people stopped? It's been pointed out multiple times already that the Saints traded AP after week 4, which paved the way for more touches for Kamara.

Even with splitting with both Ingram and AP, and even with Montgomery missing 1 1/4+ of the 4 games, Kamara still had a much better FF start than Gibbs has.

I probably should’ve known better watching Jamaal Williams usage last year. Campbell LOVES to pound the rock and Monty does that better. Monty is JAG but he runs hard and is a vet.

9 points isn’t the worst given his limited touches but he can’t be relied on for the foreseeable future unfortunately. I don’t think it’s a talent issue as he ran well the couple times they gave him the ball ( ran for 5 ypc on his 8 carries).

I think it’s a style issue and Campbell seems to love the between tackle grinder that moves the chains and the clock and last night wasn’t the game script. If they were behind it’s likely a completely different usage but it’s tough to start a guy dependent on game score.

I probably should’ve known better watching Jamaal Williams usage last year. Campbell LOVES to pound the rock and Monty does that better. Monty is JAG but he runs hard and is a vet.

9 points isn’t the worst given his limited touches but he can’t be relied on for the foreseeable future unfortunately. I don’t think it’s a talent issue as he ran well the couple times they gave him the ball ( ran for 5 ypc on his 8 carries).

I think it’s a style issue and Campbell seems to love the between tackle grinder that moves the chains and the clock and last night wasn’t the game script. If they were behind it’s likely a completely different usage but it’s tough to start a guy dependent on game score.
I believe that was mentioned when Gibbs was drafted. I obtained one share of Gibbs recently by trading Aiyuk and a 4th for Gibbs and a 2nd and I'm still fine with that, because I knew what I was getting into with Gibbs. In a PPR league Gibbs still hold a lot of value even though I knew he wouldn't be a pounder. Those of you who drafted Gibbs thinking otherwise, had rose colored glasses on. Going forward, if it isn't Monty, it will be someone else.

I believe that was mentioned when Gibbs was drafted. I obtained one share of Gibbs recently by trading Aiyuk and a 4th for Gibbs and a 2nd and I'm still fine with that, because I knew what I was getting into with Gibbs. In a PPR league Gibbs still hold a lot of value even though I knew he wouldn't be a pounder. Those of you who drafted Gibbs thinking otherwise, had rose colored glasses on. Going forward, if it isn't Monty, it will be someone else.
I think it was universally accepted that Gibbs wasn't going to be the pounder or goal line RB. It was also universally accepted that Gibbs would still be a quality FF asset without those touches, like a "better" Swift, or Kamara. The disappointment is that he hasn't even been close to that (yet).

I dont think anyone thought hed be a pounder. I thought most people thought hed AT LEAST be Swift. Hes not even that.

Ya, it could be a Damien Harris or a host of other players. Gibbs would’ve been a great pick on old Detroit teams where theyre getting blown out and chasing the game but this team is in every game or leading so if it ain’t broke Campbells not gonna fix it. They are thrilled by the win on the road and I wouldn’t expect anything to change usage wise.

I bought into the mindset that they aren’t going to go out and spend high draft capital around a guy and not focus the offense around him. I was wrong. Sucks but you have to recognize it and change gears.

He seemed to roll an ankle last week or the week prior and hasn’t moved like the guy we saw week 1 or in college. Had hopes he could build on his 4th quarter in week 3 but the odds are he’s just going to be pedestrian this year

That said, 4 weeks into a career so keeping a measured perspective

I drafted him for week 14 not week 4

I’m done with Gibbs. It’s going to require a Montgomery injury for him to realize anything approaching his ADP at this point. Trying to package him and Mostert for Pollard. We’ll see if the owner hasn’t been paying attention and bites.

Ya, it could be a Damien Harris or a host of other players. Gibbs would’ve been a great pick on old Detroit teams where theyre getting blown out and chasing the game but this team is in every game or leading so if it ain’t broke Campbells not gonna fix it. They are thrilled by the win on the road and I wouldn’t expect anything to change usage wise.

I bought into the mindset that they aren’t going to go out and spend high draft capital around a guy and not focus the offense around him. I was wrong. Sucks but you have to recognize it and change gears.
I still believe Gibbs will have a lot of use, but people should have not expected a bell cow type of usage. The Lions showed us last year how they want to use their pounder vs. speed guys. I get the draft capital angle, but their general philosophy trumps draft capital and I knew that would be the case, but still I went out and traded for Gibbs anyway in a PPR league knowing what I was getting with Gibbs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread