What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (3 Viewers)

I think people who have not been high on him is mainly because they are stuck in the mode of thinking he's just a RB.

There are RB's who are solid in the passing game when they are catching screens and dump offs. But Gibbs is so much more then that, he's lining up all over the field. He's really close to a hybrid RB/WR. As a pure runner he's not remotely worth a first or even a second round pick IMO. He's not terrible, really nice big play ability, but he's not a foundation type bell cow runner. His value is as a multi-purpose threat and that has value past the RB position.
Good stuff. If you have Goff, you want guys who turn 6 hard passes into 60 yards plays.

Good point. With Jamo and Gibbs, Goff could lead the league in 50 plus yard pass plays with none of them being thrown more than 20 yards.

By the way, dead giveaway:

When someone tells you after their pick they got a bunch of text messages congratulating them, and how this team over here was just about to draft him, they know they reached.

If he never once runs between the tackles I am fine with that, I will take WR stats for my RB. It will likely keep him healthier throughout his career while extending it in the process which would be great for a RB. What if this is type of player is the wave of the future for the position? 15 years ago almost every QB was a statue, now look at the QB landscape. Maybe the Lions are just light years ahead of everyone else.

*I was on a roll until that last sentence*

If he never once runs between the tackles I am fine with that, I will take WR stats for my RB. It will likely keep him healthier throughout his career while extending it in the process which would be great for a RB. What if this is type of player is the wave of the future for the position? 15 years ago almost every QB was a statue, now look at the QB landscape. Maybe the Lions are just light years ahead of everyone else.

Dave Meggett, Darren Sproles et al on line 1 please.

True, just like Randall Cunningham it just took the rest of the league to catch up. Unless your roster is saturated with young stud RBs Gibbs should be locked in to the 1.02. Not wild about anyone's landing spot including a lackluster WR class.

True, just like Randall Cunningham it just took the rest of the league to catch up. Unless your roster is saturated with young stud RBs Gibbs should be locked in to the 1.02. Not wild about anyone's landing spot including a lackluster WR class.
Way to rich for me to have him locked in at 1.02

I'd rather take a flyer on some of the qbs, some who will probably have more rushing yards than him

I'd rather take a flyer on some of the qbs, some who will probably have more rushing yards than him
I am not talking about superflex

Neither am I

Neither am I
Yea, well….good luck with that.

This comps Gibbs almost identically to Jahvid Best, also drafted by the Lions in the first round, in 2010.

Maybe the Lions are trying to re-create the glory days of the early 2010s.

Best was studly, concussions ruined his career. Got 3 of them in the span of a few months and never recovered if I recall correctly?
Yep - too many TBI’s and they came faster and more easily.

Best decided he’d rather have a normal life than risk further brain injury.

In the Bay Area, there was a lot of talk about his 2 significant concussions while he was at Cal. He was a risky pick for that reason.

But the talent was legit.

ETA I wondered what happened to him - turned out Cal hired him to their coaching staff, and now he’s head coach for Saint Mary’s College High School. Good for him.

Actually, not really. Those guys were seeing 50 carries per season and 50 catches, but most those catchers were out of the backfield for 5 to 10 yards. A WR will average 12-18 yards per catch, not 8-10.

I think they are looking at more of a true hybrid role like Deebo, but kind of flipped. Gibbs is not going to put up 1400 recieving yards like Deebo, but he will be running real WR routes routinely during the game. I see Gibbs running much more than Deebo did. Gibbs will be RB first, and WR second, while Deebo is WR first, and RB second.

I am seeing Gibbs as 150 plus rushes and 60 plus receptions with about 30 of those being lined up wide. With close to 1500 combined yards.

Last edited:

This comps Gibbs almost identically to Jahvid Best, also drafted by the Lions in the first round, in 2010.

Best was studly, concussions ruined his career. Got 3 of them in the span of a few months and never recovered if I recall correctly?
It all stemmed back from a hit in college that ended his college career. You can look it up, I won’t post it. It was a horrific hit and I remember watching it live seriously wondering if it was life threatening.

Last edited:

Actually, not really. Those guys were seeing 50 carries per season and 50 catches, but most those catchers were out of the backfield for 5 to 10 yards. A WR will average 12-18 yards per catch, not 8-10.

I think they are looking at more of a true hybrid role like Deebo, but kind of flipped. Gibbs is not going to put up 1400 recieving yards like Deebo, but he will be running real WR routes routinely during the game. I see Gibbs running much more than Deebo did. Gibbs will be RB first, and WR second, while Deebo is WR first, and RB second.

I am seeing Gibbs as 150 plus rushes and 60 plus receptions with about 30 of those being lined up wide. With close to 1500 combined yards.

Oooff....I'll let you draft him thinking that that's for sure

Deebo is almost 20lbs heavier and much stronger

One thing for sure if you are projecting that then St. Brown stats are going to take a nose dive

That seems like what anyone drafting him early 1st should hope for, and I agree that’s his likely role.

Especially early while Jameson is out.

Oooff....I'll let you draft him thinking that that's for sure

Deebo is almost 20lbs heavier and much stronger

One thing for sure if you are projecting that then St. Brown stats are going to take a nose dive

Lol...I never even came close to saying Gibbs is Deebo. He is a much different player. But Gibbs will have a truly unique hybrid role as a RB like Deebo has as a WR. Much like there has never been a WR used as heavily in the run game as Deebo, there has never been an RB as heavily used in a true WR role as Gibbs will be. And BTW, Gibbs is faster.

Oh what could have been with Best if not for the concussions. The main difference is that Gibbs doesn't land on his head after every tackle. It's not funny, if you watch tape of Best, you will see amazing moves but his head hits the turf way too many times.

Gibbs>>Bijan.

I want a speed back who can catch out of the backfield to pair up with a power back. The every down back is a relic.
Quoted for posterity.

Calling Bijan an every down back is like calling a Ferrari your daily driver.

Scandalous disrespect for Bijan over here at FBG Forums.

Bump for posterity. I nailed the landing spot and the reasoning. Detroit passed on Bijan and traded down to a spot where they could get Gibbs. In the traditional featured back role, Bijan is the better RB. In the role Detroit envisioned, which is a hybrid role of RB-WR paired with a strong traditional back, Gibbs is the superior option. Bijan will get more touches and probably more TDs and yards. Gibbs will be more productive with his touches and will have more big plays.

Bump for posterity. I nailed the landing spot and the reasoning. Detroit passed on Bijan and traded down to a spot where they could get Gibbs. In the traditional featured back role, Bijan is the better RB. In the role Detroit envisioned, which is a hybrid role of RB-WR paired with a strong traditional back, Gibbs is the superior option
This seems early for victory lap, but I'm conservative that way

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Lions RB Jahmyr Gibbs can be a three-down back.

At Georgia Tech and Alabama, Gibbs -- selected by the Lions with the 12th pick of the 2023 NFL Draft -- "showed a back with high-level traits and a complete skill set to be a three down back at the next level," Cosell said. "While it is not likely he will be a foundation volume runner at the next level, Gibbs showed the explosive traits that get coaches excited with both sudden lateral agility and quickness in confined space and smooth and fluid almost subtle shiftiness at the second and third levels of the defense to make defenders miss without losing quickness and speed." Reaching for Gibbs in the top-12 and subsequently dealing D'Andre Swift to the Eagles certainly means the Lions are ready and willing to force feed the rookie. Probably that will come via the pass game while David Montgomery takes much of the early-down work -- and possibly the team's goal line opportunities. Last season, Swift had a 16 percent target share in 13 games. Gibbs should see at least the same pass-catching role in 2023.
RELATED:
SOURCE: DetroitLions.com
May 2, 2023 at 9:48 AM ET

Bump for posterity. I nailed the landing spot and the reasoning. Detroit passed on Bijan and traded down to a spot where they could get Gibbs. In the traditional featured back role, Bijan is the better RB. In the role Detroit envisioned, which is a hybrid role of RB-WR paired with a strong traditional back, Gibbs is the superior option

It is halfway there. The pre-draft consensence in here was that there was no way NFL teams were viewing these two on the same tier level, but it seems the Lions, Jets, Washington, and even the Patriots coveted Gibbs mid first round. Certainly Gibbs has to stay healthy and perform, but the pre-draft rumors were not just a bunch of smoke.

It is halfway there. The pre-draft consensence in here was that there was no way NFL teams were viewing these two on the same tier level, but it seems the Lions, Jets, Washington, and even the Patriots coveted Gibbs mid first round. Certainly Gibbs has to stay healthy and perform, but the pre-draft rumors were not just a bunch of smoke.
The Lions certainly did. Said they were ready to take Gibbs at 6.

I got no problem with taking a stud RB in Round 1. But you gotta burn them out then let them go end of rookie contract. Can't do what DAL did with Ezekiel and pay them the second contract. Same for Kamara, Mixon, Cook. Too easy to find a fresh legs replacement in the draft 4 years later. Henry and McCaffrey seem to be exceptions to the rule, but even then I'd be squirmish to pay them.

I got no problem with taking a stud RB in Round 1. But you gotta burn them out then let them go end of rookie contract. Can't do what DAL did with Ezekiel and pay them the second contract. Same for Kamara, Mixon, Cook. Too easy to find a fresh legs replacement in the draft 4 years later. Henry and McCaffrey seem to be exceptions to the rule, but even then I'd be squirmish to pay them.
1st rounders you get the team option of a 5th year and if you really want to push it there is the franchise tag for one more year.

1st rounders you get the team option of a 5th year and if you really want to push it there is the franchise tag for one more year.
CEH begs to differ.

Greg Cosell analyzes Lions' 2023 draft class

Excerpt:

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama, Round 1 (No. 12 overall)
Cosell: "Gibbs at times conjured up visions of Dalvin Cook with his size and frame (Cook weighs about 10 pounds more) and his sudden explosive downhill running style and his ability to make sharp decisive cuts at speed with outstanding balance and body control.

"Gibbs' 2021 Georgia Tech tape and 2022 Alabama tape showed a back with high-level traits and a complete skill set to be a three down back at the next level. While it is not likely he will be a foundation volume runner at the next level, Gibbs showed the explosive traits that get coaches excited with both sudden lateral agility and quickness in confined space and smooth and fluid almost subtle shiftiness at the second and third levels of the defense to make defenders miss without losing quickness and speed.
"Gibbs is special – changing speeds and going from 0-60 in a heartbeat with the acceleration and speed to beat pursuit angles and then run away from the defense. Gibbs brings both a sustaining and explosive dimension to an NFL offense with his desirable combination of running and receiving traits. Gibbs is the most purely explosive back in this draft class making him an impact game changer that can be deployed in multiple ways when you factor in his pass catching ability."

If this was the Lions of 5 years ago they would have been bashed beyond belief for this draft pick. I'm a Lions fan who thinks they have finally built this team the right way but honestly think this will end up being a big swing and a miss. I'm not so concerned about the weight but from what I have read and seen, the guy can not run inside and he does not break tackles. Those open lanes that he created in college (pass and run) will be closing much quicker and be an issue with him getting arm tackled at this level. I know everyone one is excited with Gibbs being the 12th pick but he will be the 2nd option running the rock and get lost in the pass game ball distribution with all the weapons they have. Rookie 1.2 owners are going to think he is the next coming but I'm not seeing it, time will tell......

I have seen more inside runs by Gibbs than by Swift. Gibbs has great running instincts at waiting for holes to develop than exploding through them. His open field running is barry-like, planting his foot and being able to cut on a dime and make defenders look foolish. He also has shown the ability to bounce off tacklers and keep running. His pass catching ability is off the charts, only dropping two catchable balls in over 100 receptions. He lined up as a WR in over 30 percent of his snaps, so many of his catches were legit passing routes and not dump offs. The idea that a kid with his ability and blinding speed is going to get lost is pretty absurd, especially at the beginning of the year without Jamo. Gibbs will be the Lions most dangerous threat the first half of the season and they will find ways to get him the ball.

If this was the Lions of 5 years ago they would have been bashed beyond belief for this draft pick. I'm a Lions fan who thinks they have finally built this team the right way but honestly think this will end up being a big swing and a miss. I'm not so concerned about the weight but from what I have read and seen, the guy can not run inside and he does not break tackles. Those open lanes that he created in college (pass and run) will be closing much quicker and be an issue with him getting arm tackled at this level. I know everyone one is excited with Gibbs being the 12th pick but he will be the 2nd option running the rock and get lost in the pass game ball distribution with all the weapons they have. Rookie 1.2 owners are going to think he is the next coming but I'm not seeing it, time will tell......
They are getting bashed pretty hard for their draft. There is an older corner of the media praising it but most consider Detroit to have totally squandered this draft. I think it’s easy to look at Swift and say that’s the role for Gibbs. If so, we are talking a 15 PPR PPG back. That’s not setting the world on fire but it’s on par with what Stevenson, Pollard and Aaron Jones did last year. Ideally Gibbs can stay healthy when Swift wasn’t. If you get 4-6 years of that from a 1.02 pick, I think you are pleased. To expect less is to say you think Swift is the superior player.

Did the Jamo incident make the Lions look more closely at Gibbs? Gibbs is electric in space. The DET line should give him some nice holes on 1st and 2nd down. McClellan did almost as well as Gibbs behind a good Alabama oline, which gives me some pause on how Gibbs will do in the NFL. I still think he would've been there at 1.18.

560 yards rushing
400 yards receiving
8 TDs
52 receptions

those are Swift's 3 year averages

approximate baseline expectation for Jahymr
Thx BL. Interesting baseline. Gotta believe the Lions want more from Gibbs than Swift’s production…..to make it worthwhile to draft him at #12…..I look at those stats as more of a floor then.

McClellan did almost as well as Gibbs behind a good Alabama oline, which gives me some pause on how Gibbs will do in the NFL.

you think breaking out as a backup at 20 in your third year is the same as breaking out at 18 as a true freshman?
No question that Gibbs is great and better. But was McClellan coming off an ACL injury in game 5 the year before and did about as well as a runner, Gibbs is clearly a better receiver.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Jahmyr Gibbs reportedly “reminds” Lions head coach Dan Campbell of Alvin Kamara. Campbell also reportedly “plans” to use Gibbs in a similar fashion to the way the Saints use Kamara. Several league executives reportedly believe it “won’t matter” where Gibbs was taken once he hits the field. Multiple scouts also reportedly believe Gibbs was “worth” a Top-10 pick based off of pure talent, without positional value considered. The Lions got a STUD in their rookie RB

Jahmyr Gibbs reportedly “reminds” Lions head coach Dan Campbell of Alvin Kamara. Campbell also reportedly “plans” to use Gibbs in a similar fashion to the way the Saints use Kamara. Several league executives reportedly believe it “won’t matter” where Gibbs was taken once he hits the field. Multiple scouts also reportedly believe Gibbs was “worth” a Top-10 pick based off of pure talent, without positional value considered. The Lions got a STUD in their rookie RB
Heard the same blurb about Swift a couple years ago.

Heard an interview with Gibby and he said all the right things is that means anything.

Seems like he is more of a St. Brown take care of business type than Jameson Williams.

Is that a negative though? The Lions clearly want this role in their offense and for a variety of reasons Swift fell out of favor with this coaching staff. It's not like Swift wasn't effective when he was on the field. He just struggled with injuries and the team reduced his role.

I think it's a little different he drafted Gibbs vs inheriting Swift.

Users who are viewing this thread