What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Gus Edwards, LAC (3 Viewers)

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec reports the Ravens could sign Gus Edwards to an extension this offseason. 

Edwards is a restricted free agent who could require a second-round tender if Baltimore is intent on keeping him. In 2020, he led Ravens running backs in carries while J.K. Dobbins ran for 81 more yards on ten fewer carries. His departure would be significant for Dobbins' usage in the Baltimore backfield. Zrebiec predicted Dobbins would serve as the team's "lead back" in 2021 even if Edwards returns. Edwards could have plenty of fantasy appeal if he lands on a team without a clear lead runner. 

RELATED: 

J.K. Dobbins

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 15, 2021, 8:43 AM ET

Seems like a no brainer that the Ravens will place a 2nd round tender on Gus. That will all but assure him staying in Baltimore for another year at a reasonable price.
Yep. Unfortunately for both GMs that roster him and Dobbins.

And Hill. :kicksrock:

Yep. Unfortunately for both GMs that roster him and Dobbins.

And Hill. :kicksrock:
I think the pendulum will swing a bit more towards Dobbins next year, but Gus is too good not to be liberally used

Interesting stat: according to PFF, only two players in NFL history have started their career with three straight seasons of 700-plus rushing yards and at least 5 yards per carry: Nick Chubb and Gus Edwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
zamboni said:
Seems like a no brainer that the Ravens will place a 2nd round tender on Gus. That will all but assure him staying in Baltimore for another year at a reasonable price.
He's more valuable to Baltimore than he'd be to any other team. He's a perfect fit for what they do.

I'm thinking something like Dobbins 190 carries, Edwards 160. Lamar at 120 or so. The other 30-ish sprinkled among Hill, Ricard, and the WRs.

Ravens tendered restricted free agent RB Gus Edwards.

Center Trystan Colon-Castillo and LB Kristian Welch were also tendered. Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said, "Gus is going to be on the team, one way or the other. ... He played his butt off this year, and he had a good season for us." The second-round tender essentially locks him onto the 2021 roster, and the two parties are still working on a long-term extension. Edwards has been a highly efficient No. 2 back in Baltimore's run-heavy scheme and should continue to spell J.K. Dobbins moving forward. "The Bus" averaged 10.5 PPR points following the Ravens' Week 7 bye when free agent Mark Ingram was being phased out of the mix. He has RB3/4 appeal.

RELATED: 

J.K. Dobbins

SOURCE: BaltimoreRavens.com

Mar 10, 2021, 4:09 PM ET

Seemed obvious this tender was going to happen, but was really hoping he’d find his way to another team with a larger opportunity. One of the most underrated RBs in the game, but his upside is clearly capped with a healthy Dobbins. 

Seemed obvious this tender was going to happen, but was really hoping he’d find his way to another team with a larger opportunity. One of the most underrated RBs in the game, but his upside is clearly capped with a healthy Dobbins. 
Quality RB who will probably be a better real RB than fantasy RB as he will most likely remain with the Ravens during his prime...he has been very consistent going for 718, 711 and 723 during his first three seasons with YPC of 5.2, 5.3 and 5.0...just in a tough spot fantasy-wise with Dobbins (as you point out) and Lamar.

tough for both Gus and Dobbins.....would be much better for both if they were split up....just not enough touches with Lamae there....hopefully it a 1 yr tag and hes a FA next yr but I think Balt really likes this 3 headed monster.....downgrade Dobbins a little and Gus more.  

Ravens signed restricted free agent RB Gus Edwards to a two-year, $10 million contract extension. 

Edwards is now signed through the 2023 season after averaging at least five yards per carry in each of his first three NFL seasons. He was slated to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2021 season. Described by Baltimore offensive coordinator Greg Roman as a key part of the team's rushing attack, Edwards -- a former undrafted free agent -- appears to be the 1B option to J.K. Dobbins' 1A in the Ravens' ultra run-heavy offense. Edwards, 26, graded by Pro Football Focus as 2020's fourth best runner, should see an uptick in touches with the departure of Mark Ingram. Since 2018, Edwards has gained yards on 89.1 percent of his carries, the most of any player in the NFL in that time, per ESPN's Field Yates. He's steadily rising up draft boards, and there might not be much daylight between Dobbins' and Edwards' ADPs come August.

RELATED: 

J.K. Dobbins

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jun 7, 2021, 11:40 AM ET

Ravens placed RB Gus Edwards on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

COVID positive and not just a close contact, Edwards will be required to miss the first 10 days of training camp. He can participate in virtual meetings, and will still be back in action a week before the Ravens' first preseason game. Players' return timelines were all over the map in 2020, but there does not seem to be much concern that Edwards will miss more than the required amount of time. Although the Ravens are going to employ a two-back approach regardless, Edwards' absence will give ascendant second-year pro J.K. Dobbins more than a week to show off his ability in every phase of the running game. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 27, 2021, 2:52 PM ET

Ravens RB Gus Edwards was removed from the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Missing ten days indicates Edwards is not vaccinated against COVID. If he remains unvaccinated and tests positive for the virus during the season, he'll miss at least one game. The Ravens this offseason kept the efficient Edwards, a restricted free agent, and plan to use him alongside lead back J.K. Dobbins. Edwards, 26, graded by Pro Football Focus as 2020's fourth best runner, should see an uptick in touches with the departure of Mark Ingram. He should remain a popular target for fantasy players who largely fade early-round running backs. 

RELATED: 

J.K. Dobbins

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Have to expect he’d get a meaningful uptick in carries if Dobbins is out long term, but I think those expecting a 300 carry season may be disappointed.

There's definite over-reaction risk here (kind of like D. Henderson after Akers), but yes, I'm inclined to say mid/late 4th leaves some room for him to outperform his draft spot.
To be fair, Gus Edwards is a much more proven RB than Henderson was, and the Ravens are much more run heavy than the Rams are. I'd say 3/4 turn is fair, late 4th is probably a steal. Gus Edwards putting up 1,200-12 is very much on the table, if Dobbins is out. If that gets confirmed, I'd put Gus in the same tier as Jacobs, Robinson, Carson, Swift, and maybe even Montgomery.

Baltimore has run for over 3,000 yards each of the last 2 seasons, it stands to reason that isn't going to change. Jackson has anywhere from 1,100-1,400 going to him. That leaves 1,600-1,900 for the RB's. 

To be fair, Gus Edwards is a much more proven RB than Henderson was, and the Ravens are much more run heavy than the Rams are. I'd say 3/4 turn is fair, late 4th is probably a steal. Gus Edwards putting up 1,200-12 is very much on the table, if Dobbins is out. If that gets confirmed, I'd put Gus in the same tier as Jacobs, Robinson, Carson, Swift, and maybe even Montgomery.

Baltimore has run for over 3,000 yards each of the last 2 seasons, it stands to reason that isn't going to change. Jackson has anywhere from 1,100-1,400 going to him. That leaves 1,600-1,900 for the RB's. 

How much of a factor do you think Justice Hill and Ty'son Williams will play?   Where would you draft them?   Or wouldn't you?

How much of a factor do you think Justice Hill and Ty'son Williams will play?   Where would you draft them?   Or wouldn't you?
Unless they add another guy, I expect Edwards would get more work than Dobbins was going to. I probably wouldn't draft either unless its a super deep league. I expect Hill to be ahead of Williams due to his speed and passing game ability. 

I think Edwards as of right now, gets 65-70% of the RB carries, which is probably around 250 carries. I would think perhaps the Ravens would maybe be a little more pass balanced than normal, but Hollywood and Bateman have both missed pretty much all of camp.

Perhaps Lamar runs even more than normal?

top 10 RB from now on, if the Hobbit is indeed done for the season.

5 yards per carry avg for his career. give him dobbins' 134 carries from last season, we're looking at 270 carries on the year for Gus Edwards. 1350 rushing yards. double digit TDs. 

easily a top 10 RB going forward

top 10 RB from now on, if the Hobbit is indeed done for the season.

5 yards per carry avg for his career. give him dobbins' 134 carries from last season, we're looking at 270 carries on the year for Gus Edwards. 1350 rushing yards. double digit TDs. 

easily a top 10 RB going forward
💯 

Gus Edwards putting up 1,200-12 is very much on the table, if Dobbins is out. If that gets confirmed, I'd put Gus in the same tier as Jacobs, Robinson, Carson, Swift, and maybe even Montgomery.

That sounds like an inflated ceiling.  900-1000 and 7-8 feels more realistic.  And that's assuming worst case for Dobbins...for all we know it could be a low grade PCL out 2 weeks scenario.  But in the worst case scenario, assuming a 60/40 Edwards/Hill split, discounted for the chance they bring a marginal FA like the ghost of AP, seems more prudent until we have more info.

Edited to add before today I had Edwards TWO tiers below the group you mention.  In the worst case scenario I'd bump him up to the group just below Jacobs, etc.

I'm leery of any back who hasn't carried a full time load.  There's usually a reason for that, and they find a way to stay in a RBBC

That sounds like an inflated ceiling.  900-1000 and 7-8 feels more realistic.  And that's assuming worst case for Dobbins...for all we know it could be a low grade PCL out 2 weeks scenario.  But in the worst case scenario, assuming a 60/40 Edwards/Hill split, discounted for the chance they bring a marginal FA like the ghost of AP, seems more prudent until we have more info.

Edited to add before today I had Edwards TWO tiers below the group you mention.  In the worst case scenario I'd bump him up to the group just below Jacobs, etc.
I don't believe Hill is the handcuff to own here.  Ty'son Williams passed him on the depth chart, he could end up getting 7-10 carries a game. I think this firmly places Gus as an RB#2, in the 250 carries range in 2021, as long as Dobbins is out for the season.

I don't believe Hill is the handcuff to own here.  Ty'son Williams passed him on the depth chart, he could end up getting 7-10 carries a game. I think this firmly places Gus as an RB#2, in the 250 carries range in 2021, as long as Dobbins is out for the season.
They will likely look to trade or sign free agent if this is serious. If we see Gurley sign there then we will know. 

I don't believe Hill is the handcuff to own here.  Ty'son Williams passed him on the depth chart

I've  mostly seen Hill and Williams about even in various pre Dobbins injury projections *.  Haven't been monitoring depth charts / not sure they are accurate until days before the season starts (?).

* 40/40/10/10% Dobbins/Edwards/Hill/Williams.

Been drafting him cheap in all leagues as a bye-week filler or occasional flex guy, knowing that he has the potential to be a RB1/2 should Dobbins go down. I have two drafts remaining, so might miss out on him in those, as I expect his ADP to skyrocket should we find out that Dobbins is out for the season. 

He is certainly not a "plodder" or "strictly an A-gap guy" as some have suggested. He is a competent and hard-nosed old-school RB that has never had his chance to own a backfield. No, he isn't gonna catch a lot of balls, but neither does Henry or Chubb.....and on an offense like the Ravens, he could definitely light up the fantasy scoreboard.  Remember, Pro Football Focus graded Edwards as the fourth best runner in 2020.

Strictly an A gap runner
Per FFI, only 3 RBs have averaged 5.0 ypc in 3 consecutive seasons in the last 50 years. Gus is one if them. He had an 85.8 pff grade last year. At the U, he couldn't break the starting lineup, against guys like Mark Walton. He benefits from teams defending against Lamar. He only caught 9 passes last year and 7 the year before. 

He would need a 1b if Dobbins can't play for an extended peeiod.

If I’m a Dobbins owner I would do what you can. I have zero shares and one share of Gus. Which means I don’t have much of a dog in this fight. With the one share of Gus I will hold. 

Gus had some stand alone value as it was....if he now becomes the Ravens RB1 without real serious heat behind him...which we really didn’t hear or worry about before....IMO he becomes a serious consideration very early in drafts....I have two of my main redrafts tomorrow and I could EASILY see him going in the third...

Gus had some stand alone value as it was....if he now becomes the Ravens RB1 without real serious heat behind him...which we really didn’t hear or worry about before....IMO he becomes a serious consideration very early in drafts....I have two of my main redrafts tomorrow and I could EASILY see him going in the third...

huge reach in the third until we get the MRI results.

I would say 7th is the earliest I would consider him pre-MRI.

I've  mostly seen Hill and Williams about even in various pre Dobbins injury projections *.  Haven't been monitoring depth charts / not sure they are accurate until days before the season starts (?).

* 40/40/10/10% Dobbins/Edwards/Hill/Williams.
Williams has been better than Hill this summer, by a lot.

Williams had thrown a monkey wrench into the Ravens cut-down decisions by playing so well, even before Dobbins got hurt. The only thing I haven't heard much about with Williams is whether he can block at all. If he can't, then he won't get much time.

The only thing saving Hill from getting cut (pre-Dobbins injury) was that he made himself a valuable STer. If you're the 3rd string RB on the Ravens, you'd better be good on special teams. All credit to Hill for realizing that and putting in the work.

Without Dobbins, I'm guessing the RB carries are split something like:

Edwards - 65%

Williams - 25%

Hill - 10%

If Dobbins is out for the season, I'd have no problem taking Edwards in the 2nd/3rd round. 

Might be Interesting arbitrage in this morning’s draft. Dobbins may be back in 4-6 weeks. Or you may be out all year.

In any case I’m not sure how to value Edwards, who looked like a great pick up when he was going in the 9th 10th 11th round but who knows now? I wonder if Dobbins will get taken at all? I’ve got an 18 round draft I’m taking him somewhere if he falls. 

We have a few ravens fans in our league so this is all very doubtful.

Last year was Gus' ceiling. He's just not that good. Quit lying to yourselves. 
hrmmmmm 

Do we listen to an assement from the team at Pro Football Focus who graded him #4 RB last year.... or Mr Soup who says he stinks. 

Users who are viewing this thread