What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

Ronald Jones is JAG. Leonard Fournette is whatever is one step above JAG. JAG+.

Every now and then, the Football Gods smile on us peons, and gift us with the ideal Player intersecting with the ideal situation. IMHO, the Bucs are a perfect match for Giovani Bernard, and, barring injury, we're in for a real treat come Thursday night, and 16 weeks to follow. If Gio doesn't break down, I predict Lenny and Rojo cheering a lot from the sidelines, and Gio multi-tasking his way inside the Top 24. Solid FF RB2. That's the hill I'm planting my flag on. YMMV.

PS: The offensive statistical aggregates that the Bucs are going to generate are going to be absolutely mind-numbing. There's plenty of pie to go around when the pie is H-U-G-E HUGE.
IMO, TB will suffer from Patriots Projections syndrome that plagued NE players for years. Basically, everyone on NE would be over projected for big numbers . . . and the offensive needed to average 50 points and 600 yards per game for all the key players involved to meet their collected fantasy projections. There is still only one football and four quarters in a game. Well, at least I think that’s still the case.

The other thing that I expect to happen is defenses collectively to do better this year. There have been times in prior years when there were fewer practices and limited training camp . . . and the result was lots of offense in that particular season. The following year things went back to normal. 

For the top offense last year, there were some insane team totals. With a full off season, an entire training camp, and regular weekly practices, I expect that some of the over the top production from last year will subside. I’ve brought this up a few times this off-season and most people thought I was crazy. We shall see how things go. 

Another odd phenomenon that happened last year is the zebras called way fewer offensive holding calls. And not be a little bit. I have no idea why that is, but DPI and defensive holding calls got called a lot more. Those were both outlier numbers that don’t fit with a typical season. That certainly was overlooked by most people and analysts. We can see if that reverts to normal as well. 

But good luck with holding fast to protect Bernard Hill. Hopefully you don’t die on that hill. 

killface said:
Unless there are major injuries or you are in a 20 team league i can't even conceptualize why would you would start a 3rd down rb...his floor is literally zero and his ceiling is low as well
Do you not play in 12 and 14 team leagues?  You can't expect to have studs in every starting slot.  Gio is certainly a viable PPR flex, which I think anyone can understand.  

TripItUp said:
Gio is league dependent.

has to be a deep league for him to be viable...nobody is winning a 10 team league with James White or Gio at flex or RB.
10 team leagues are silly.  Too much talent on the waiver wire, and yes, Gio and James White would be there.

I don't understand the hate for Gio.  If you don't like him, then leave him on waivers.  But it's pretty obvious and simple to understand that a pass catching RB on a team with a QB that historically checks down to the RB a lot would be at least worthy of a bench stash to see what happens.  Nobody is saying to go out and start him week 1.  But he certainly could evolve into a role this season.

Do you not play in 12 and 14 team leagues?  You can't expect to have studs in every starting slot.  Gio is certainly a viable PPR flex, which I think anyone can understand.  

10 team leagues are silly.  Too much talent on the waiver wire, and yes, Gio and James White would be there.

I don't understand the hate for Gio.  If you don't like him, then leave him on waivers.  But it's pretty obvious and simple to understand that a pass catching RB on a team with a QB that historically checks down to the RB a lot would be at least worthy of a bench stash to see what happens.  Nobody is saying to go out and start him week 1.  But he certainly could evolve into a role this season.
I'm in a 12 team an a 14 team league as my two standards.  They are shark leagues and he went undrafted in both.

I'm in a 12 team an a 14 team league as my two standards.  They are shark leagues and he went undrafted in both.
He went undrafted in my shark 14 teamers as well (thank you for not saying "big money leagues" which everyone seems to be in but who knows what big money is to everyone), but when you have a JK injury and are looking at the wire, he certainly would be in consideration.  If your league is into handcuffing everyone, a Chubba, Samaje Perine, Darrell Williams, Damien Williams types might be taken as well over Gio and maybe that's why he's out there.

Doesn't really matter what everyone else is doing.  I'm going to at least hold for the first few weeks to gauge his usage.  Certainly in my opinion a better use of a bench space than some of these WR5 and 6s that people hold.

PPR potential value as RB4-5. Not much more value in 12 team or larger unless injury. Doubt he reaches James White better seasons but could be flex worthy.

I picked him up at 5.01 (last round) in August. My team is a rebuild and he is my “end of the bench” player along with Van Jefferson & Kylen Granson 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
If he’s returning to practice already I’m skeptical that this was a high ankle sprain. I’m skeptical of the Bucs injury reports in general. 
It was either the mildest high ankle sprain in the history of the NFL or the Bucs have Mr. Miyagi in their training room!

PPR potential value as RB4-5. Not much more value in 12 team or larger unless injury. Doubt he reaches James White better seasons but could be flex worthy.

I picked him up at 5.01 (last round) in August. My team is a rebuild and he is my “end of the bench” player along with Van Jefferson & Kylen Granson 
I think he could be useful for you as an injury replacement or BYE filler. Especially if Lenny or RoJo misses any time. 

"productive" is certainly on his range of outcomes. And you got him cheap. 

With DJax fragility I like Van Jefferson's potential in that offense, too. Plus his name sounds like a 1960s folk singer.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
If he’s returning to practice already I’m skeptical that this was a high ankle sprain. I’m skeptical of the Bucs injury reports in general. 
I think there are other types of ankle sprains and maybe the report of it being that was wrong based on Bernard being back at practice already. Tom Pelissero is a fine reporter but these guys do get things wrong.

You should be skeptical of all injury reports right now because the teams dont have to disclose that information until this coming week with the official injury reports.

As far as coaches go I think BA is one of the straightest shooters you will find so I would believe him over most of the coaches in the NFL.

Bernard Back to Full Speed in Buccaneers Practice

Head coach Bruce Arians said that Bernard was participating at "full-speed" in Sunday's practice after the rising ninth-year pro missed last Thursday's gathering. It was NFL Network that reported Bernard's ankle injury, although Arians had suggested that the running back was "fine" after he had missed Thursday's rehearsal.

I think there are other types of ankle sprains and maybe the report of it being that was wrong based on Bernard being back at practice already. Tom Pelissero is a fine reporter but these guys do get things wrong.

You should be skeptical of all injury reports right now because the teams dont have to disclose that information until this coming week with the official injury reports.

As far as coaches go I think BA is one of the straightest shooters you will find so I would believe him over most of the coaches in the NFL.

Bernard Back to Full Speed in Buccaneers Practice
Of course. The start was they got it wrong because any high ankle sprain is 4-6 weeks minimum. That’s just the nature of the injury.. 

Bernard missed a week and a half at most. Sounds like he tweaked his ankle a little. 

i’m skeptical it was ever of the high ankle variety.

Of course. The start was they got it wrong because any high ankle sprain is 4-6 weeks minimum. That’s just the nature of the injury.. 

Bernard missed a week and a half at most. Sounds like he tweaked his ankle a little. 

i’m skeptical it was ever of the high ankle variety.
Agreed.

On a personal note my fantasy rosters are looking like a MASH unit already and we haven't even had any real games played yet.

Im hoping I may have dodged a bullet here though.

Agreed.

On a personal note my fantasy rosters are looking like a MASH unit already and we haven't even had any real games played yet.

Im hoping I may have dodged a bullet here though.
That’s the worst. Finish the draft having looked up every single pick, log onto the website when rosters are entered & red crosses everywhere. :doh:  

Had it happen a few times - knock on wood, lucky this year so far. 

Giovani Bernard (ankle) is active for Week 1 against the Cowboys. 

Bernard was removed from the Bucs' final injury report ahead of Thursday night's opener. Bernard appears to have Tampa's third downs all to himself after Ronald Jones and Leonard Fournette both flopped in the role last season. He certainly needs to be rostered across the board in PPR leagues. Inactive for the Bucs are WR Jaelon Darden, QB Kyle Trask, RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn, S Jordan Whitehead, S Chris Cooper, OG Nick Leverett and DL Khalil Davis.

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter 

Sep 9, 2021, 6:56 PM ET

I realize we are only a few series into the season, but I’m not feeling too upset I dropped gio for Tyson williams earlier today.

elbowrm said:
I realize we are only a few series into the season, but I’m not feeling too upset I dropped gio for Tyson williams earlier today.
There's many names you could push like Lev Bell, the possibilities are endless but yes feel good tonight. 

I thought he’d get more early down usage after those 2 scrubs gifted the Cowboys 2 turnovers. He’s the best blocking back, best receiving back, best at not being a fumbling turd. And it’s not even close. Arians is messing this up I think.

Giovani Bernard was held without a rush in the Bucs' Week 1 win over the Cowboys, catching 2-of-3 targets for 12 yards. 

Pro Football Focus' Nathan Jahnke charted Bernard as playing just 17 total snaps, a highly disappointing number since Ronald Jones was benched for the evening following a second quarter fumble. Only on the Bucs' hurry-up final drive did Bernard make his presence felt, notching both his receptions. Especially with Jones in the doghouse — again — and Leonard Fournette likely to join him there at some point, Bernard is going to have more prolific games, but with so many Hall-of-Fame-type talents at his disposal, Brady isn't going to have to force looks to Bernard the way he did James White in New England.

Early in the game it looked like more or less like the usage would be as I thought it would be. Gio in third and longish. He got the snaps but TB (early in the game) wasn't checking it down to him when he was open, he was chucking it deep. 

Then when RoJo fumbled I was thinking like the posters above, giddyup, staple RoJo to the bench... Then Fournette volleyed a screen pass to the defense, thinking oh, yeah... But they rode Fornette for just about the rest of the game despite that he looked very average or below average other than one catch where he bailed out Brady on a questionable throw. So kind of inexplicable.

This looked exactly like what I was hoping to see as definitive "no doubt fine to drop" situation. No ambiguity or false hope for me with him. He might be able to do the "James White" but it looks like it's going to be hard to predict when he's going to get any kind of workload. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He might be able to do the "James White" but it looks like it's going to be hard to predict when he's going to get any kind of workload. 
Agree here - James White never had so much offensive talent around him at receiver, just too much firepower for Gio to be consistent IMO.

I gotta think that Tampa looks at that film and wants to get Gio involved more. However I think you are right, too many mouths to feed. 

Guys, it's Week 1. Everyone on both sides of the field looked rusty and unprepared to play live snaps that count for 60 minutes.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that after Arians/Brady decompress from almost losing what should have been a handy win last night, they are going straight to the drawing board and figuring out some things, which will likely include involving Bernard more in the offense at the expense of Fournette/Rojo, as well as motioning him out of the backfield into the slot as a defacto 4th WR. Don't lose sight of what a MASSIVE offensive aggregate can potentially be launched by the Bucs. It can arguably be the biggest pie in the NFL bakery. There's upside with Gio - Arians/Brady are not going to tolerate last night's performance from the RB room. Last night was almost the perfect launching pad for him to be more involved as they have 10 days to prep for Week 2  hosting the Falcons. Hold to see what comes out of the practice reports this week. IMHO, we're going to hear/see good things that lead to a cheap-to-mid-price investment paying out a profit.

As someone who traded Gio for $30 FAAB and the roster spot to get Alex Collins before the game, I think you got exactly what you wanted to see on Thursday.   Not from Gio, but from Lenny and Ro-Jo.    This was always more of a bet against those two.   And they gave you exactly what you wanted, planting the seeds for a much bigger role for Gio ahead.   As for Gio, he gave everything that you hoped for on the game-winning FG drive.   That's going to matter.

There was no way Arians was going to sack a SB winning backfield in week 1.    This is a season long-play.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who traded Gio for $30 FAAB and the roster spot to get Alex Collins, I think you got exactly what you wanted to see on Thursday.   Not from Gio, but from Lenny and Ro-Jo.    This was always more of a bet against those two.   And they gave you exactly what you wanted, planting the seeds for a much bigger role for Gio ahead.   As for Gio, he gave everything that you hoped for on the game-winning FG drive.   That's going to matter.

There was no way Arians was going to sack a SB winning backfield in week 1.    This is a season long-play.
Makes some sense. I thought he’d have a bit of a bigger role out the gate. In this offense you don’t need the back to be spectacular. I’d think Arians would want the guy least likely to fumble, drop a pass, or screw up a pass block. Hopefully he’ll get there.

Maybe the title should be changed to RIP Bernard, because yikes. 
He was awful.  Why was he even on an NFL roster mere days after sustaining a high ankle sprain?  He should have been shot like a horse.

Or maybe he is recovering from injury, learning a new offense, and entrenched behind two clear veterans who have a coach with a history of deferring to experience in his system.

As @sushinsky4tsar said, this was not mean to be a Week 1 boon.

As someone who traded Gio for $30 FAAB and the roster spot to get Alex Collins before the game, I think you got exactly what you wanted to see on Thursday.   Not from Gio, but from Lenny and Ro-Jo.    This was always more of a bet against those two.   And they gave you exactly what you wanted, planting the seeds for a much bigger role for Gio ahead.   As for Gio, he gave everything that you hoped for on the game-winning FG drive.   That's going to matter.

I like this perspective.

Gio rose to the top of my drop list after last night but I was more focused on the other players I had putting up points for me and was drunk.

For those that can afford to hold, I think it's worth it to see how it plays out over the next several weeks.

He was awful.  Why was he even on an NFL roster mere days after sustaining a high ankle sprain?  He should have been shot like a horse.

Or maybe he is recovering from injury, learning a new offense, and entrenched behind two clear veterans who have a coach with a history of deferring to experience in his system.

As @sushinsky4tsar said, this was not mean to be a Week 1 boon.
That might be possible, though IIRC the team said he returned to full practice & he was left off the final injury report, no? 

I just thought it odd that they threw to Lenny (volleyball play) and didn’t even use Bernard until the 4th.

but maybe you’re right and he was actually effected by the high ankle sprain he supposedly had and miraculously recovered from in a week.

it’s all a little weird to me, but I’m sure there’s stuff behind the scenes I’m not privy to that this sort of speculation clears up. 

For those that can afford to hold, I think it's worth it to see how it plays out over the next several weeks.
Oh I would hold for sure. Especially after last night with RoJo’s fumble & Lenny’s hands of stone. 

That said, this has long been a frustrating backfield to hold shares of, and adding a 3rd mouth to feed probably won’t make it less so. 

Giovani Bernard caught nine of ten targets for 51 yards in the Bucs' Week 3 loss to the Rams. 

Bernard, hardly used at all in his first two games with the Bucs, led all Tampa running backs with 33 snaps against the Rams -- a product of haywire game script that forced the Bucs to abandon the running game completely in the first half. Leonard Fournette is the team's nominal lead back on early downs while Bernard on Sunday took over pass-catching duties that Fournette had seen in the season's first couple games. Ronald Jones, meanwhile, is persona non grata. Bernard is and will be game script dependent. In what should be an easy Tampa win next week against the lackluster Patriots, Bernard isn't an option in 12-team leagues.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Giovani Bernard is day to day with a "slight" MCL sprain.

Bernard was cut down at the knees at the goal line in the final minutes of the Bucs' loss to the Rams, as he flipped into the end zone for a receiving touchdown. All things considered, it's good news after Bernard had to be helped out of the end zone and off the field by the training staff. Bernard played a season-high 45% of the snaps against the Rams with the Bucs playing catch-up most of the afternoon. His status for Week 4 at New England is uncertain. Leonard Fournette would likely pick up extra pass-game work if Bernard sits.

RELATED: 

Leonard Fournette

, Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 27, 2021, 9:55 PM ET

Giovani Bernard (knee) is not practicing Wednesday.

Bernard suffered a "slight" MCL sprain and is considered day-to-day so it's no surprise that he's being held out of practice early in the week. His practice status on Friday will be more revealing. Bernard was finally a major part of the Tampa Bay offense in Week 3, seeing 10 targets in their loss to the rams. He led the Bucs' backfield with 33 snaps, although the negative game script certainly played a major role in his usage bump. If he can't go, Leonard Fournette will play on the bulk of the passing downs and would get a boost in all fantasy formats. 

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Sep 29, 2021, 1:40 PM ET

Giovani Bernard (knee) is out for Week 4 against the Patriots. 

Bernard hurt his knee at the very end of Week 3's game against the Rams, in which he caught nine of ten targets for 51 yards and led the Tampa backfield in snaps -- a product of wildly negative game script. Bernard's Week 4 absence will offer more snaps and touches for Leonard Fournette with Ronald Jones once again relegated to a non-factor. Lombardi Lenny is a sneaky high-upside option in a game that could see the Bucs cruise to victory and run the ball more than usual. 

RELATED: 

Leonard Fournette

, Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Oct 1, 2021, 12:30 PM ET

Giovani Bernard (knee) returned to a limited practice Wednesday.

Bernard suffered a "slight" MCL sprain in Week 3 and was considered day-to-day. He sat out of practice last week and didn't suit up for the Bucs' Week 4 matchup with the Patriots. Leonard Fournette saw all of the team's targets that went to running backs with Bernard out of the picture. Bernard was targeted 10 times in Week 3 and should operate as the team's primary back on third downs once healthy. If active, Bernard could be a viable FLEX option in deeper leagues this week. 

Oct 6, 2021, 5:07 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Giovani Bernard is expected to "miss some time" with hip and MCL injuries.

With Leonard Fournette solidifying himself as the Bucs' primary pass-catching back, Bernard has been almost entirely phased out of the Tampa Bay offense. He hasn't touched the ball more than twice in a game since Week 5. His absence should free up a few more routes for Fournette to run but it doesn't move the needle much at this point.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Dec 13, 2021, 2:28 PM ET

Buccaneers placed RB Giovani Bernard on injured reserve.

Bernard played seven snaps on Sunday before exiting the game. He had recently lost third-down duties to Leonard Fournette, who leads all NFL running backs with 62 receptions. Bernard has run eight times for 58 yards and caught 23 passes for another 123 yards and three touchdowns this year.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Dec 14, 2021, 4:15 PM ET

Bucs re-signed RB Giovani Bernard to a one-year contract.

Bernard was hyped as the Bucs' primary pass-catching back last summer, but that ultimately fizzled out early in the season. He had 19 catches for 102 yards and two scores through six weeks, though the bulk of that came from a nine-catch game in Week 3. He was then phased out of Tampa Bay's plan in favor of Leonard Fournette. An MCL sprain eventually cut his regular season short. Bernard was revived with 18 touches and a score in the Wild Card Round. One week later, a healthy Leonard Fournette eliminated him from the picture once again. Now 30 years old, Bernard is nothing more than a depth option for the Bucs, who brought Fournette back on a three-year deal earlier in the offseason. 

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Apr 1, 2022, 2:18 PM ET

Giovani Bernard announced his retirement from the NFL after 10 seasons.​

Bernard entered the league as a second-round pick for Cincinnati in 2013. He topped 1,000 yards from scrimmage in each of his first three seasons as a pro and ultimately spent eight years as a Bengal. He closed out his career with two seasons in Tampa Bay while getting to play alongside Tom Brady. Bernard ends his career with 3,783 rushing yards, 2,989 receiving yards, 36 total touchdowns, and one of the best mustaches this league has ever seen.
RELATED:
Apr 28, 2023, 2:49 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread