What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

Haven't watched yet but the brief snippets I saw on redzone was more of the same. Patient strong running by Hill, who was clearly more effective than Gio.

Haven't watched yet but the brief snippets I saw on redzone was more of the same. Patient strong running by Hill, who was clearly more effective than Gio.
Most of the plays I saw, Gio was getting hit in the backfield and still usually got a couple of yards.

Most of the plays I saw, Gio was getting hit in the backfield and still usually got a couple of yards.
Yeah I didn't see the whole game but from what I saw of Gio he looked good. Had a great run for a first down called back on a hold that obviously doesnt show up on the stat sheet.

For fantasy owners that have both Gio AND Hill, how do you feel about starting both against the lowly Tampa Bay Bucs this Sunday? I know Hill outscored Gio in week 12 (Hill had the TD), but they both had nearly equal touches. I think Gio takes the reigns back this week, particularly because he excels in the passing game.

For fantasy owners that have both Gio AND Hill, how do you feel about starting both against the lowly Tampa Bay Bucs this Sunday? I know Hill outscored Gio in week 12 (Hill had the TD), but they both had nearly equal touches. I think Gio takes the reigns back this week, particularly because he excels in the passing game.
Hill is the better pure running back. I don't see how anyone could think he is going to "take the reigns back".

Gio needs to get involved in the passing game asap.

I'm starting both Gio & Hill (benching Crowell). I know it's a risk, or in the very least automatically limits any upside/time on the field. I don't like Crow's matchup even though Bills haven't been a stone wall lately. I'll just hope that Cincy is in control throughout at Tampa, as they should be.

I've got both, and you could start both if you don't have better options.

I suppose in a PPR league you might give Gio the start, but in a standard league I'd go with Jeremy.

Having said that, to believe that Gio will "take the reigns back" is a little naive. Other than the Carolina game, Gio's been fairly pedestrian in the run game, while Hill has established himself as the superior between-the-tackles runner. With equal touches in Week 12, Gio averaged just 2.6 yards/carry (17 carries for 45 yards), while Hill averaged 4.8 yards/carry (18 carries for 87 yards). Hill was also very prominent in the red zone. Both should get a lot of touches against TB, but once Cincy gets control of the game in the 3rd quarter they'll pound Hill to move the chains.

And if you look at Gio's game logs, he hasn't been all that impressive in the passing game either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting both Gio & Hill (benching Crowell). I know it's a risk, or in the very least automatically limits any upside/time on the field. I don't like Crow's matchup even though Bills haven't been a stone wall lately. I'll just hope that Cincy is in control throughout at Tampa, as they should be.
I've got the same dilemma. I've probably traded Hill and Crowell in and out of my lineup several times now!

Also keep in mind that this was Gio's first game back, and the Bengals were leading wire-to-wire. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the disparity in snaps to grow even larger as we move forward, especially in games where they are trailing.

Also keep in mind that this was Gio's first game back, and the Bengals were leading wire-to-wire. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the disparity in snaps to grow even larger as we move forward, especially in games where they are trailing.
Considering the two "geniuses" running the offense (Hue and Marvin), that wouldn't surprise me at all.

I just want a 3-down RB out of this combo. But Hill is just flat-out better.

Considering the two "geniuses" running the offense (Hue and Marvin), that wouldn't surprise me at all.

I just want a 3-down RB out of this combo. But Hill is just flat-out better.
Gio averages like 9 yards/reception. They're going to use them both no matter how much you want a 3-down RB. These "geniuses" you refer to have the No. 8 rushing game in the NFL and are in first place in the only division in the NFL with 4 teams with a winning record.

Gio has now failed to rush for 4ypc or better in 10 of his last 12 games, while Hill has had no problem eclipsing 4ypc in nearly every game he's gotten a fair amount of carries in behind the same o-line.

Meanwhile, while being absolutely lambasted by Hill as a between the tackles runner, Gio has also failed to separate himself in the areas where he's supposed to have a distinct advantage. He has fewer explosive plays the an Hill this year, a lower yards per reception number, and hasn't been a factor in in the passing game in more than 2 months.

A voice of reason.

What a depressing situation. If one of them got to carry the load, you'd have a nice fantasy option on your hands. Instead, they are both fairly useless.

What a depressing situation. If one of them got to carry the load, you'd have a nice fantasy option on your hands. Instead, they are both fairly useless.
So true, especially with Dalton stinking the joint up.

Can't believe I'm actually contemplating starting Doug Martin next week.... :porked:

Probably the worst situation possible heading into the first round of fantasy playoffs. Owning both Hill and Gio, and I can't start either. What will likely happen is I'll bench both of them, and one of them will go off. I'll kick myself for not starting the players that got me there.

Starks looks very active and he already outscored Gio on his first touch. I think I'm rolling with him over Gio in the playoffs.

[i know you care]

On second thought, GB is @ BUF next week. No thanks.

I'll have to find some waiver-wire scrub to start at the most important time of the year over this guy I had such high hopes for. Good times.

Gio is worthless unless Hugh all of a sudden realizes he shouldn't be used to run into brick walls up the middle. Gruden found ways to utilize Gio; I am unimpressed by Hugh. EDIT: I'm assuming he won't get 20+ touches in his current usage as long as Hill is there., going forward.

Gio is worthless unless Hugh all of a sudden realizes he shouldn't be used to run into brick walls up the middle. Gruden found ways to utilize Gio; I am unimpressed by Hugh. EDIT: I'm assuming he won't get 20+ touches in his current usage as long as Hill is there., going forward.
Where are all of the easy swing passes in the flat where he would pick up 20 yards in a flash? Mind-boggling how they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I just dropped him...in a 32 team league and in a 16 team league (salary cap leagues). He was being paid WAAAAYY too much for a COP back. Hill is even getting more passes thrown his way. RBs just aren't worth much nowadays. Hell, I'm about to drop LeSean McCoy too! Guess I'll be loading up on WRs and TEs in my upcoming drafts. COP backs are much easier to find later in drafts or on waiver wires.

I just dropped him...in a 32 team league and in a 16 team league (salary cap leagues). He was being paid WAAAAYY too much for a COP back. Hill is even getting more passes thrown his way. RBs just aren't worth much nowadays. Hell, I'm about to drop LeSean McCoy too! Guess I'll be loading up on WRs and TEs in my upcoming drafts. COP backs are much easier to find later in drafts or on waiver wires.
I own Hill and Gio, and contemplated dropping one or both for WW pickups for the playoffs (I'm in). The only thing stopping me is if one of them gets injured this next game, the other would be solid gold. A whole lot of meh on the WW at this point anyways...but I totally understand being frustrated to the point of dropping Cincy RBs in general.

I'll have to find some waiver-wire scrub to start at the most important time of the year over this guy I had such high hopes for. Good times.
If Lacy doesn't play, Starks is a great start over Gio and Hill. He's going to catch a bunch of passes.

If Lacy doesn't play, Starks is a great start over Gio and Hill. He's going to catch a bunch of passes.
Well I obviously wrote that before Lacy got dinged. :) I think he'll play, anyway.

"Why not Gio at 1.01" turns into "Gio, a risk in the 4th"
Have a feeling I'm not alone in drafting Gio instead of Leveon Bell (redraft). I think back to draft day, and it seemed so reasonable then. Stupid Legarrette Blount/weed bust played a big part in my thinking.

Have a feeling I'm not alone in drafting Gio instead of Leveon Bell (redraft). I think back to draft day, and it seemed so reasonable then. Stupid Legarrette Blount/weed bust played a big part in my thinking.
I had the first pick 2 years ago and had Bell as my guy throughout training camp until he got his foot injury and that scared me off and I took Gio instead.

I don't recall anyone having Bell ranked higher. The kid just exploded this year. Nobody saw THIS kind of production coming. :shrug:

Well said.

Haven't like the way Hue has used him at all this year. I wonder if there's any chance the Bengals explore dealing him this year. Gio to me seems like a guy that would be best utilized in a more up-tempo offence, with a creative OC getting him the ball in space as opposed to the bolded. The kid is still very talented, very young and I think he'll have a very good career, but this year has been a disappointment without question.

Well said.

Haven't like the way Hue has used him at all this year. I wonder if there's any chance the Bengals explore dealing him this year. Gio to me seems like a guy that would be best utilized in a more up-tempo offence, with a creative OC getting him the ball in space as opposed to the bolded. The kid is still very talented, very young and I think he'll have a very good career, but this year has been a disappointment without question.
I thought Hue was going to take Gio and take him to higher levels. So much for that. The guy is a obviously a moron. I've never seen a player get his ### jacked up so many times in one season. Gio could very well find himself the next DeAngelo Williams. A great talent, totally misused.

@GeoffHobsonCin: Gio says Hill getting start and he'll do what's best for team.

Gio's value ------------> :toilet:
Just went from a starter week 1 on the LOD to the #4 RB, passed up by Lamar Miller and the Crow, sitting on the end of the bench. Good job Hue, you suck the big one.

We should have seen the writing on the wall the minute Hill got drafted. I simply thought Gio was better.
I thought the same before the season started and traded Gio for that very reason.

That said, Gio was the lead dog for the early part of the year and was running (actually receiving) well. Might have stayed that way, but sometimes when you get hurt and there is a highly capable guy behind you, it's hard to go back to where you were.

Yeah I needed RB 2 numbers from him this year and took the risk....It blew up in my face :(

Users who are viewing this thread