What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D'Onta Foreman, CLE (1 Viewer)

There are few things I hate more than lies and hypocrisy. Texans organization has shown plenty of both in the last few days. To say the suspension was due to anything other than Foreman skipping practice is laughable and to not do a thing to Hopkins for the same offense because of his ability is a joke. This coming on the heels of McNair's spin job that none of the players bought for a second. 

I'm just concerned about the Texans making a point with Foreman carrying over into future games, which is suggested by the coach saying that Blue was better in practice than Foreman. 

That statement suggests it is a long term change, not just a reaction to Foreman skipping practice.

I'm just concerned about the Texans making a point with Foreman carrying over into future games, which is suggested by the coach saying that Blue was better in practice than Foreman. 

That statement suggests it is a long term change, not just a reaction to Foreman skipping practice.
"Coach, of course Blue was better in practice than I was Friday... I wasn't there!"

BOB doesn't want to play this game. Media hasn't seemed to pick up on it yet but no Foreman cost them the game late in Seattle as much as conservative playcalling did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah most of us seem to agree that the coach is lying with that statement.

Just pointing out that if the coach isn't lying, it is the kind of thing that tends to be a more long term change than just for one week.

I guess we will see what happens next week as far as if they are actually playing Blue over Foreman again.

The coach has kind of painted himself in a corner with his explanation for the change.

The coach could be lying, I think that's totally in his character.

That said, it could also be that Foreman had a crappy week of practice, or got in trouble on the bye week and it hasn't gone public, or didn't show up for lifting or trainer sessions.... in short he could have been in the doghouse already before not showing up. 

It could be a one-week send a message, and for all we know that message could have more to it besides don't skip practice.

Horrible luck, believed to be a torn Achilles on the same play where he scored his first career TD. MRI tomorrow to confirm.

Such a bummer.  Not sure how he will bounce back from this since his best trait is explosiveness and that's what this type of injury is known for sapping.

I bought big on the guy, I literally have him in every one of my dynasty leagues.  Hopefully he's young enough to bounce back to 100% at some point like Demaryius Thomas did.

I guess I would like to wait for confirmation of what the injury actually is, but if it is an achilles injury he wont be back this year.

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

This is about the worst injury (maybe micro fracture) a RB can have. I thought he had some potential to be a lead power back in an offense but I just can’t see it now. When he gets back which won’t be until the middle of next season with a formidable RB class on the horizon, I can’t even see holding him in dynasty if I’m honest with myself. Damn shame.

That’s from 7.5 years ago (hey, I couldn’t find anything better on Google either.)

2013 Shark Pool thread

Crabtree & D. Thomas both came back from full tears, but can’t really think of a RB comp.
Yeah I didn't spend a lot of time looking for something more recent. We don't even know yet if that is the injury he sustained.

I do know that there have been some more successful returns from the injury in the recent past and Foreman is a young player, younger players tend to come back from these things more often than older ones do

Really the whole point of bringing an outside source for the information is to show it isn't a quick recovery, so if that is the injury he had, he won't be back from it this year. We have a long time to wonder and discuss if it will actually limit him coming back next year or not (hopefully not).

Anyhow if this is the injury for redraft purposes I think people can cut and move on.

There's no reason he shouldn't make it back.  He's young and good, and if players at other positions and in other sports can make a full recovery so can he.

ETA:  less than 11 months after tearing his achilles.
I agree to some extent. With modern technology and training regimens, players are coming back quicker and near full (if not entirely full) recovery. Even the dreaded ACL injuries aren't the same as they used to be.

That said, I am more concerned about an RB's ability to come all the way back and be effective than a WR. Both positions require a lot of quick cuts, but RBs rely more on quicker changes of direction and their bodies take a lot more constant pounding.

Texans GM Brian Gaine said he is "hoping" D'Onta Foreman (Achilles') will be ready for the start of training camp.

"Foreman is going through the recovery phase from his injury last year," Gaine said. "So, we are hoping that he will be back here when we get ready to put the pads back on. We will manage that and massage that as we go forward." Gaine had previously said the Texans expect Foreman ready for Week 1, but a report last month suggested Foreman could start the year on reserve/PUP. It's possible Foreman is crushing his rehab and may be ready earlier than expected. The Texans didn't draft a running back in the draft two weekends back.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports 

May 7 - 8:00 PM

Career over

Sucks too, the guy had some promise
I had this feeling too. Everything of his rehab is extremely promising. The Texans took it pretty seriously too. It wasn't just some player, go get it fixed up but they were all over it determining which surgeon and mentioning why it didn't work for other players years ago and...really sounded good. Then they didn't draft a RB and talked about Foreman instead. They're confident. Last I read, they even told ADP about Foreman as he is trying to join the Texans. 

He makes for an interesting 8th round pick when very few good RBs are available. 

I had this feeling too. Everything of his rehab is extremely promising. The Texans took it pretty seriously too. It wasn't just some player, go get it fixed up but they were all over it determining which surgeon and mentioning why it didn't work for other players years ago and...really sounded good. Then they didn't draft a RB and talked about Foreman instead. They're confident. Last I read, they even told ADP about Foreman as he is trying to join the Texans. 

He makes for an interesting 8th round pick when very few good RBs are available. 
Ya, I’m starting to get this feeling too. I won’t lie that I had put a scoop of dirt on his grave though. Still highly risky but now is a cheap time to get him if there is upside.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, it "remains up in the air" whether D'Onta Foreman (Achilles) will be ready for Week 1 against the Patriots.

"At this point, it's just when I feel ready to go and when the trainers and everybody feels it's best for me to get on the field and play a game," said Foreman. The 22-year-old was having an impressive rookie year before he went down with a ruptured Achilles in Week 11. Foreman sat out OTAs but said his rehab is going "really well" and hopes to be ready at some point during training camp. When healthy, the former Texas Longhorn will occupy a change-of-pace role behind starter Lamar Miller.

Source: Houston Chronicle 

Jun 17 - 12:18 PM

Any Houston homers hear anything on this guy? With the running game going no where could he return and make an impact?
Questions always surround how RBs come back from achilles injuries.  If he comes back full strength then he's over taking this backfield.  That was the plan all along.  I have read that it's doubtful and very difficult.

Questions always surround how RBs come back from achilles injuries.  If he comes back full strength then he's over taking this backfield.  That was the plan all along.  I have read that it's doubtful and very difficult.
Have you seen anything on a timeframe or is it just day-to-day?

Serious Question: Has any RB ever come back full strength from a torn achilles?

Beanie Wells, Mikel Leshoure, etc. Who has done it? I would be looking to dump him everywhere I can. If he comes back anything close to what he was, he would be the first player at his position to ever do so. Look at Michael Crabtree. His YPC dropped from 14 to 10 after the injury and has never been close to the same guy. 

Beanie Wells, Mikel Leshoure, etc. Who has done it? I would be looking to dump him everywhere I can. If he comes back anything close to what he was, he would be the first player at his position to ever do so. Look at Michael Crabtree. His YPC dropped from 14 to 10 after the injury and has never been close to the same guy. 
Demaryius Thomas ruptured his (I want to say his rookie year) and ended up having a pretty solid career. I would think the demands on the body may be a little more on an RB but WRs perform a lot of cutting themselves. I don't own Foreman but was just curious as I have not seen anything in regards to an injury update. 

I never owned any shares, but if there are owners that are willing to take him on I would sell for whatever I could get.

Personally, I have him as a WILL NEVER OWN, due to the fact that I don't think he'll ever be able to be an NFL back again.

This question comes up a lot but the basic answer is we're talking about a teeny tiny sample size here if we limit it to RBs, especially if we eliminate guys who were already into their 30's and on their way out anyway.  Even Beanie was basically on his way out of the NFL when his happened, as he couldn't even make a roster with a healthy achilles at that point.

So we have basically two guys that were young and tore their achilles at RB, Mikel Leshoure and Kendall Hunter.  Obviously 0-2 on that front.

There is also Curtis Martin whom a lot of people aren't sure if he ruptured his achilles or not since injuries weren't tracked very closely back then.  All we know is that he had a season ending achilles injury in college, no way to find out what exactly that achilles injury was.

Coming back from an injury like that I don't expect him to be dominant.  What I do expect to see is good vision, patience, and some power.  I think in time he'll end up being good I'm just trying to temper my own expectations.  If he doesn't have his explosiveness back or 2nd gear, I'm not too worried.  I just want to see some of the cerebral things go his way when he comes back.  The physical stuff will come in time.  

Coming back from an injury like that I don't expect him to be dominant.  What I do expect to see is good vision, patience, and some power.  I think in time he'll end up being good I'm just trying to temper my own expectations.  If he doesn't have his explosiveness back or 2nd gear, I'm not too worried.  I just want to see some of the cerebral things go his way when he comes back.  The physical stuff will come in time.  
Problem is that the Texans may have moved on by then.

Don't expect to see running back D'Onta Foreman at practice this week or in Sunday's game at Jacksonville. Foreman, who underwent surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon in December, had to miss the first six weeks because he's on the physically unable to perform list. He can practice for 21 days before the Texans have to leave him on PUP for the season or place him on the active roster. It looks like he's still a week or two away from returning to practice and being activated on game day.

O'Brien was asked if Foreman would start practicing this week as they prepare for Sunday's game against Jacksonville.

"We're talking about that now, but I would probably say no," O'Brien said. "I don't think he's quite ready."
Foreman still not ready

What was the difference between D'Onta's injury and Sherman's injury? I know the positions are different but same injury?

No inside info here, but given the Texans play on Thursday night, I’d say it’s extremely unlikely that Foreman will be going this week.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12282/donta-foreman

Texans coach Bill O'Brien expects D'Onta Foreman (Achilles, PUP) to practice next week.

Foreman has been eligible to practice since last month but wasn't cleared. Practicing next week would start the 21-day window to active him. With an upcoming bye, the Texans may be targeting a Week 11 return for Foreman. Nov 3 - 11:32 AM

Source: ESPN
Miller has been playing lights out. Is Foreman still a 2nd half sleeper?

Miller has been playing lights out. Is Foreman still a 2nd half sleeper?
Absolutely he is.  Not that I'd pay much for him, but Miller has proven time and time again, he isn't a top tier RB.  Still good when he wants to be, but that's so streaky.  Basically worst case is ~6 touches a game for Foreman when he's ready to play.  

Are people really expecting Foreman to be the first RB ever to bounce back from an Achilles injury and turn into a relevant fantasy asset?

He was OK, not special, and if he loses any of his explosiveness he's a marginal talent at best.

Are people really expecting Foreman to be the first RB ever to bounce back from an Achilles injury and turn into a relevant fantasy asset?

He was OK, not special, and if he loses any of his explosiveness he's a marginal talent at best.
I have him on my team, sitting in the IR spot for now. If I need to, I'll cut him. I'm not expecting much but at the time I got him Miller was sucking it up.

Users who are viewing this thread