What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Deuce Vaughn, DAL (2 Viewers)

The odds are against him but he’s fun to watch and the league is slowly shifting to smaller quicker skill guys. Of course most likely outcome is special teams / gadget guy - but Darren Sproles isn’t off the table.
He's a little smaller (he's smaller than everybody) but I could see a Nyheim Hines-ish role for him. Pollard is a very good pass catcher, but if you are gonna give him Zeke's short yardage touches (which barring a FA addition, I expect) it makes sense to limit his load somewhere, why not with Vaughn on 3rd downs?

A couple of interesting observations from yesterday's showing...they gave him a goalline carry that he successfully converted and he was involved in the passing game....both obviously important for FF upside.

It's difficult to imagine he can pass block effectively but who knows.

I didn't think he'd make the roster but he's been impressive and seems like he likely will. They are very deep at RB now.... zero chance they have room for a vet RB to come in if Vaughn makes the roster.

His vision is why I call him a Pocket Emmitt Smith.
Because you think he's completely overrated and a product of having the best offensive line in the history of the NFL?
This again? The line was good from 91-96, after that it was average or bad.
You mean the six years of his 15 career season where he gained 50%+ of his total rushing yards, 59% of his rushing TDs, had his five best rushing averages and his five best rushing yardage seasons?

Yes.

And he was always a mediocre receiver out of the backfield.

Great player, grossly overrated.

I didn't think he'd make the roster but he's been impressive and seems like he likely will. They are very deep at RB now.... zero chance they have room for a vet RB to come in if Vaughn makes the roster.
How are they deep at RB? Or am I missing your intended tone here?

I took my son to Cowboys camp in Oxnard a couple weeks ago. We were able to get up along the short fence on both days. Vaughn was one of only 2-3 players to sign stuff after practice, and he did so on both days we were there. My son got a football and mini helmet signed by him. Vaughn was out there for a while, too, signing stuff all the way down the fence line. Very cool.

I took my son to Cowboys camp in Oxnard a couple weeks ago. We were able to get up along the short fence on both days. Vaughn was one of only 2-3 players to sign stuff after practice, and he did so on both days we were there. My son got a football and mini helmet signed by him. Vaughn was out there for a while, too, signing stuff all the way down the fence line. Very cool.
100% rooting for him. Dying to see another Sproles.

Don’t know what his fantasy upside is exactly but this guy is going to be an absolute pain in the *** in real life.

Forget Sproles, the comp is Joe Morris.

Gotta think they'll keep 3-4.

Assuming Pollard, Davis, and Dowdle make the team, that leaves 0-1 spots for: Vaughn, Jones, plus any vet they may bring in.

Would be shocked if they brought in a vet now if Vaughn is going to make the squad which seems likely.

Assuming Pollard, Davis, and Dowdle make the team, that leaves 0-1 spots for: Vaughn, Jones, plus any vet they may bring in.

Would be shocked if they brought in a vet now if Vaughn is going to make the squad which seems likely.
I understand the roster but I don't see that any of them outside of Pollard are anything other than ST guys. It's not a huge distinction but Vaughn was drafted, Dowdle & Davis are UDFA guys. Dowdle & Davis are also entering their 2nd & 3rd seasons and haven't distinguished themselves.

Honestly, I think Davis & Dowdle would be the roster bubble guys as I don't think either brings much as even a replacement level player at RB.

Frankly the Cowboys seem desperately thin at RB behind Pollard. If they don't add a veteran player, I have to imagine Vaughn is a lock to make the team.

I understand the roster but I don't see that any of them outside of Pollard are anything other than ST guys. It's not a huge distinction but Vaughn was drafted, Dowdle & Davis are UDFA guys. Dowdle & Davis are also entering their 2nd & 3rd seasons and haven't distinguished themselves.

Honestly, I think Davis & Dowdle would be the roster bubble guys as I don't think either brings much as even a replacement level player at RB.

Frankly the Cowboys seem desperately thin at RB behind Pollard. If they don't add a veteran player, I have to imagine Vaughn is a lock to make the team.
There's also Luepke who people are projected to be on the team.

I think you're underrating Davis and Dowdle and I think both are going to easily make the squad.

I think you're underrating Davis and Dowdle and I think both are going to easily make the squad.
Luepke? Another UDFA, not even invited to the combine.

Sure, guys absolutely make the roster from that spot but isn't he statistically less likely to than a guy drafted in the 6th?

I am not the guy taking deep dives into guys like this, so there are huge, gaping holes in my knowledge of these guys. So I am honestly asking why you think guys like Dowdle & Davis are roster locks over a guy like Vaughn?

Do either of those guys, or Luepke, combine to make a better replacement for Pollard, in case of injury, relative to a guy like Vaughn?

Seems to me like Vaughn's potential as a skill position guy makes one of the other ST oriented guys expendable. Particularly as Vaughn probably profiles as a KR &/or PR.

Luepke? Another UDFA, not even invited to the combine.

Sure, guys absolutely make the roster from that spot but isn't he statistically less likely to than a guy drafted in the 6th?

I am not the guy taking deep dives into guys like this, so there are huge, gaping holes in my knowledge of these guys. So I am honestly asking why you think guys like Dowdle & Davis are roster locks over a guy like Vaughn?

Do either of those guys, or Luepke, combine to make a better replacement for Pollard, in case of injury, relative to a guy like Vaughn?

Seems to me like Vaughn's potential as a skill position guy makes one of the other ST oriented guys expendable. Particularly as Vaughn probably profiles as a KR &/or PR.
I'm not saying whether they do or not... I'm just predicting what the Cowboys think and will do, and I think they really like those guys enough to have some really really difficult decisions on final RB roster cuts, and they also seem extremely uninterested in bringing in a vet.

Because you think he's completely overrated and a product of having the best offensive line in the history of the NFL?
You mean the six years of his 15 career season where he gained 50%+ of his total rushing yards, 59% of his rushing TDs, had his five best rushing averages and his five best rushing yardage seasons?

Yes.

Yes.

He played FIFTEEN years and had ONE “bad” year. Think about that.

Your argument was that because he got almost half of his production during almost the first half of his career somehow makes him different than every back who’s ever played? Who are all all of these late blooming backs who were better than Emmitt?

When he had elite talent around him he performed at an elite level. OK. He was provided the opportunity and he performed. Like he always did at every level he ever played at.

Is he the clear cut, undisputed GOAT? Probably not, but if we have a draft and you pick another player over him, the drop off is minuscule and chances are, Emmitt does better a few things than him.

It’s hard to get fully on board when you see how tiny he looks but that vision and quickness is so intriguing.
He was on my DND list ... due to the challenges he faces in getting meaningful touches to be fantasy relevant.
But he was available and I needed an RB dart throw. Considered Sean Tucker TB, but medical conditions can end a career without starting.
Took him 4.01 in 12 Team PPR 1 QB

But Dallas HC McCarthy got rid of his previous OC because he wanted to RUN, RUN, and RUN some more.
Malik Davis & Rico Dowdle are nothing special. Both are undrafted assets
Deuce Vaughn is the only other RB with Draft Capital... 6th Round so still nothing special (6.35)
Pollard was a 4th round draft pick (4.26)

Malik Davis SPARQ = 5.87
Rico Dowdle SPARQ = 5.99
Deuce Vaughn SPARQ = 5.86

This angle of the run vs Sea is a better showing of his vision & balance

He was on my DND list ... due to the challenges he faces in getting meaningful touches to be fantasy relevant.
But he was available and I needed an RB dart throw.
Same. I avoided him in first three drafts but in my last rookie draft when he was there in the 5th I figured, he’d at least be fun to pull for.

He's probably a guy that will be more important from an NFL standpoint in terms of generating a few manufactured touches for him, rather than from a fantasy standpoint that requires a fair amount of volume. Unless he becomes the next Darren Sproles, which is possible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

He's probably a guy that will be more important from an NFL standpoint in terms of generating a few manufactured touches for him, rather than from a fantasy standpoint that requires a fair amount of volume. Unless he becomes the next Darren Sproles, which is possible, but I wouldn't bank on it.
See a lot of comparisons w Sproles for obvious reasons, and Sproles was a G for sure. With that said, his 3 best seasons of a 15-year career for rushing are:

603 yards
438 yards
343 yards

I just don't see him getting close to or much rushing attempts.

If he can be like Sproles with his receiving ability, that would be a hit, where Sproles had 8 seasons with 40+ catches.

32BeatWriters
“Vaughn's size (5-foot-5) will always be a talking point. But he's more than a "gadget guy,'' as QB Dak Prescott has pointed out. He's elusive. He can catch the ball well out of the backfield. He's survived as a pass-blocker. He can return kicks.”

Not a ringing endorsement of his pass blocking, I always thought this would be his biggest hurdle.

I can't recall what Sproles did or how his teams handled pass blocking situations.

Last edited:
32BeatWriters
“Vaughn's size (5-foot-5) will always be a talking point. But he's more than a "gadget guy,'' as QB Dak Prescott has pointed out. He's elusive. He can catch the ball well out of the backfield. He's survived as a pass-blocker. He can return kicks.”
"He's more than a 'gadget guy'. He's like ..... One of those, like, what's it called ... oh! Yeah. 'Gadget guy'."

32BeatWriters
"He's more than a 'gadget guy'. He's like ..... One of those, like, what's it called ... oh! Yeah. 'Gadget guy'."

This is the Dallas Cowboys - the real question is are they going to use him in their ‘web back’ role?

As for now, probably not rosterable in up to 12 team redraft leagues, but nice flex option in larger leagues. Intriguing in dynasty if he can become Darren Sproles 2.0.

Drafted him with my last pick in a 12-team league, but debating cutting for Sean Tucker before the season starts. Anyone with more "insider info" than me have any insight on Deuce's value?

Drafted him with my last pick in a 12-team league, but debating cutting for Sean Tucker before the season starts. Anyone with more "insider info" than me have any insight on Deuce's value?

This is an interesting question. We can see a path to Sean Tucker having a role, and it's not insane to think that role eventually blossoms into the being the lead back. The only reason he didn't get drafted was his heart condition, for which he was medically cleared a month or so after the draft. He could easily outperform White who looks pretty average in everything he does.

There's almost no scenario where Deuce Vaughn has an every down role. You can't expect a guy 5'6" 176 to perform any pass pro role. Right now I'm not even sure he has any role, he doesn't appear to be the backup and I'm not confident Dallas will utilize him every week.

I love watching Deuce Vaughn play, he looked terrific in preseason. My question is will he be getting significant touches?

This is an interesting question. We can see a path to Sean Tucker having a role, and it's not insane to think that role eventually blossoms into the being the lead back. The only reason he didn't get drafted was his heart condition, for which he was medically cleared a month or so after the draft. He could easily outperform White who looks pretty average in everything he does.

There's almost no scenario where Deuce Vaughn has an every down role. You can't expect a guy 5'6" 176 to perform any pass pro role. Right now I'm not even sure he has any role, he doesn't appear to be the backup and I'm not confident Dallas will utilize him every week.

I love watching Deuce Vaughn play, he looked terrific in preseason. My question is will he be getting significant touches?
Thanks for the insight & kinda where my head space is too. I think Deuce is a fun back to watch, but aside from a few dump-off's and big YAC's because of it, i'm not sure I can ever see him having a prominent role nor crack my lineup.

I will say it's a bit perplexing that Deuce is 18% rostered vs. Tucker who's at 2% in Yahoo (heck Dowdle is only at 1%).

Without trying to sound like an ***, it's because it's Yahoo, which like many of the other 'mainstream' sites, is populated largely by casual players who don't subscribe to, frequent, or utilize advanced information/analysis sources and forums, such as FBG's and the Shark Pool.

I'd probably rather have Tucker, but perfectly fine taking a flier on Vaughn.

Can he hold up to a big work load? Who knows. But the Big 12's AP yardage leader the last 2 years was not Bijan.
It was Mr. Vaughn, of course, because K-State put the football in his hands over 600 times in those 2 years.

Will he get the NFL touches? Can he do it? Who the heck knows, but a late flier makes sense.

I don't count on the Cowboys to always makes sense, but the only backs behind Pollard are Vaughn and a guy who hasn't carried a football in 3 years.

It's hard to imagine the Cowboys putting themselves in that situation, unless they could see themselves giving Vaughn touches.

Users who are viewing this thread