What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (9 Viewers)

This is a tough one. MNF makes it difficult to manage. If Henry was 100%, I’d consider playing both him and Spears as a flex. I’m thinking game script will favor Spears getting work. With Henry questionable I guess I’ll have to treat Spears strictly as a backup plan if Henry can’t go. Don’t really like the matchup for Henry though.

This is a tough one. MNF makes it difficult to manage. If Henry was 100%, I’d consider playing both him and Spears as a flex. I’m thinking game script will favor Spears getting work. With Henry questionable I guess I’ll have to treat Spears strictly as a backup plan if Henry can’t go. Don’t really like the matchup for Henry though.
"The King ain't going out like a chump"
Fun phrase but it's kind of...yeah there's no way

BTW, I believe I saw somewhere that Henry has never had a concussion, but I’m not a 100% on that.
Nope
This had been discussed several times recently. Remember he had a lot of critics claiming he wouldn't be a good pro blah blah blah. One of the things was his upright running style.
Apparently it's darn good for concussions and career longevity

No chance at playoffs, why would they play him?
Spears can only run wide as of now.
He looks just like young Tiki did but with a bit more speed. I mean oh so close. Not coincidentally Tiki pointed it out during the game and on the radio. Spears doesn't quite have the grit or strength or push or something running up the gut.
Titans had Chestnut, got hurt. They added Jacques Patrick who is a big bruiser type but cut him weeks ago and he was added to some other team. Haskins...domestic...on IR.

The line allows like 7 or 8 sacks per game. If they don't play Henry then Levis will "get killed."
Also when Tim Kelly shows his Texans roots and doesn't call Henry runs plays teams light up Titans QBs.
Henry is all they've got to make a D not pin their ears back

TD say down with Vrabel and Carthon and interviewed them.
One thing, they never shopped Henry. Teams called asking if the rumors were true but they never shopped Henry

Has there been any official indication of whether he IS or IS NOT in the concussion protocol?

I know Bri said he believed Vrable mis-spoke or was mis-quoted when he said he isn't in the protocol, but that is the latest news: that he isn't in the protocol. Obviously, we have to watch practice reports between now & Monday, but if he is in the protocol, he needs to get cleared by an independent neurologist to play on MNF. If he isn't in the protocol, he does not need that clearance.

I know he went to the blue tent, then to the locker room and never returned; but Hurts went to the tent, then the locker room, before he returned, right? After missing some time? He must not have entered the protocol, since he returned to play. Is it possible that Henry went to the locker room, but didn't enter the protocol, but they kept him out anyway (similar to what happened to Watson earlier this year), or that by the team he was ready to return to the game, it was over?

@Bayhawks I contacted two Titans reporters. They have no idea why he's not in the protocol either. The rules are cut n dry.

Vrabel was asked today if he's still not in the protocol (what kind of question is that) and he said no. Later he said he was encouraged by his progress so far. (That's a weird statement to make if he's not)

A former Titans reporter told me the Dolphins have asked the Titans and the NFL for clarity.

Let me add Henry did practice today in a non contact jersey. (This follows protocol third step)
He and Hopkins are to take their usual rest day tomorrow. No official injury report was released and technically doesn't til Thursday on a MNF week

Has there been any official indication of whether he IS or IS NOT in the concussion protocol?

I know Bri said he believed Vrable mis-spoke or was mis-quoted when he said he isn't in the protocol, but that is the latest news: that he isn't in the protocol. Obviously, we have to watch practice reports between now & Monday, but if he is in the protocol, he needs to get cleared by an independent neurologist to play on MNF. If he isn't in the protocol, he does not need that clearance.

I know he went to the blue tent, then to the locker room and never returned; but Hurts went to the tent, then the locker room, before he returned, right? After missing some time? He must not have entered the protocol, since he returned to play. Is it possible that Henry went to the locker room, but didn't enter the protocol, but they kept him out anyway (similar to what happened to Watson earlier this year), or that by the team he was ready to return to the game, it was over?
Yes, Hurts went from the tent to the locker room, then re-entered the game.

Vrabel has made it clear Henry is not in the protocol. He evidently passed the field test for a concussion, but was held out as a precaution or some other reason.

Maybe it's not his head? Maybe it's actually his neck?

Situation is as clear as mud. I guess we'll get the practice report today.

Monday night game and the potential for a rotten gamescript are problematic as it is.

Yes, Hurts went from the tent to the locker room, then re-entered the game.

Vrabel has made it clear Henry is not in the protocol. He evidently passed the field test for a concussion, but was held out as a precaution or some other reason.
This is probably not what happened.
Spears was struggling to run up the middle so they gave Hopkins a carry and seemed to audible out of giving Chig a carry. Surely they wanted him in the game.

ETA heck I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Wish I could take this post back.

Maybe it's not his head? Maybe it's actually his neck?

Situation is as clear as mud. I guess we'll get the practice report today.

Monday night game and the potential for a rotten gamescript are problematic as it is.
This was my guess. Sleeper just pinged and updated his status from questionable to healthy but with no meaningful news/citations

From Titans site-
A few days ago, that was in question when the Titans running back left Sunday's game against the Colts with concussion symptoms.

"I guess (trainers and doctors) saw something that they felt like I couldn't return," Henry said on Thursday. "I felt fine – just took a helmet-to-helmet hit and they saw enough where I couldn't go back in. I wanted to go back in – it was hard to watch – but I have to respect their decision.

"I can't fight it – it's their decision, it's their call. It sucks, but you have to respect it. I wanted to go out there and continue to play and help us win, but they felt different. … I think the league is trying to be cautious with head injuries, which I respect. It's all about player safety."

From Titans site-
A few days ago, that was in question when the Titans running back left Sunday's game against the Colts with concussion symptoms.

"I guess (trainers and doctors) saw something that they felt like I couldn't return," Henry said on Thursday. "I felt fine – just took a helmet-to-helmet hit and they saw enough where I couldn't go back in. I wanted to go back in – it was hard to watch – but I have to respect their decision.

"I can't fight it – it's their decision, it's their call. It sucks, but you have to respect it. I wanted to go out there and continue to play and help us win, but they felt different. … I think the league is trying to be cautious with head injuries, which I respect. It's all about player safety."

Clear as mud.

Reactions: Bri
This sucks due to it being a Monday night game. Almost forced to put D. Pierce in as there is nobody else I can start Monday night if he doesn’t play.

This sucks due to it being a Monday night game. Almost forced to put D. Pierce in as there is nobody else I can start Monday night if he doesn’t play.
Any news? Have the same issue.
Full participant today.
He's playing.

Tim Kelly does not commit to him but yet he is their only hope. They don't have corners fast enough to cover the Fins nevermind any other aspect of CB play. Titans only option is to run Henry a hundred times.

Kelly is very much a look at me type OC so I expect Fins score, he responds and calls deep shots, reverses, maybe a fleaflicker and 21-0 real fast. Jalen Ramsey on Hopkins is a good battle Hopkins usually wins but it's not like he feasts. It's a horrible horrible matchup for the Titans.

I'm considering picking up Burks(bust) or Moore (1 catch per game) in a start six WR league and using one over AT Perry because I would bet Levis completes a few deep balls but I am as desperate as can be and grasping.

Back to Henry, he's still unstoppable if he catches a screen with a blocker near the sideline. There isn't a DB in the league that wants to see that. I have him in one league and will begrudgingly leave him in.

Back to Henry, he's still unstoppable if he catches a screen with a blocker near the sideline. There isn't a DB in the league that wants to see that. I have him in one league and will begrudgingly leave him in.
Yeah man. I have him in an FFPC league... him vs. Kincaid. I think I gotta roll with King Henry especially with Knox back. Might be ruing the day as the game script could get out of hand quickly.

Yeah man. I have him in an FFPC league... him vs. Kincaid. I think I gotta roll with King Henry especially with Knox back. Might be ruing the day as the game script could get out of hand quickly.
Henry has been abysmal in games where they lose by more than one score. But he is still Derrick Henry.

Any news? Have the same issue.
Full participant today.
He's playing.

Tim Kelly does not commit to him but yet he is their only hope. They don't have corners fast enough to cover the Fins nevermind any other aspect of CB play. Titans only option is to run Henry a hundred times.

Kelly is very much a look at me type OC so I expect Fins score, he responds and calls deep shots, reverses, maybe a fleaflicker and 21-0 real fast. Jalen Ramsey on Hopkins is a good battle Hopkins usually wins but it's not like he feasts. It's a horrible horrible matchup for the Titans.

I'm considering picking up Burks(bust) or Moore (1 catch per game) in a start six WR league and using one over AT Perry because I would bet Levis completes a few deep balls but I am as desperate as can be and grasping.

I’m starting him over OBJ, K walker, Lockett and Garrett Wilson. I’ll probably be :rant:

Levis and Big Jeff have risen to leaders, Nuk too. He CAN go now and his presence for a new stadium new regime isn't as huge a need as it was 8 months ago.

I wouldn't. 86 mil available with more likely after cuts. If you wrote a definition of what type of guy team's re-sign it would also define him. But it's not a money issue and that's important to note. Most teams are strapped and the whole RBs are dime a dozen thinking...that isn't relevant here.

Spears can't run up the gut. He was cartoonishly bad yesterday. He has this incredible burst that is as good as any player ever- video game like- but OMG does it look painful when he bursts right into a D lineman. Like he hit a wall harder than anyone before him has.

Chestnut looked very good. He looked surprisingly good two years ago and this summer clearly grew into it and I'm sure he was to be the between the tackles replacement.

The Titans are terrible at drafting RBs. New GM only has Spears but prior regime and personnel dept missed on like eight guys til Spears was a hit.

Idk that you plan on Chestnut.. He was this UDFA extra surprise and was to be an integral backup but he maybe has 2-3 games where he went in and moved piles and smashed for well earned yards.

Haskins got off from court but it's not like the female owner isn't well aware his girlfriend had choke marks and bruises on her face. I'd bet he's quietly released this off-season. He certainly won't be Henry's replacement. It doesn't have to be a high character guy or anything but it sure won't be that either.

I think they very much need Henry another year. I expect an OC change, if not more, and handing it to him can sure make things easier when learning a new system.

If Spears is Tiki II then they gotta redo the OL as the Giants did to have more mobile linemen and that takes time too.

David Meggett and Kevin Faulk were integral parts of championship teams. The new OC could hold Spears in that light. The new GMs dad played and coached with those two so surely he knows their value.

Idk what'll happen with Henry but I do know It's not simple and smooth when the RB replacement can't run up the middle

Still easily a top-5 NFL RB. Should have tons of suiters despite his age.
Give him an actual offensive line and watch what happens. The last OL rating I saw for Tennessee was #32.
I can't imagine the Titans line was worse than NYG, but yeah, Henry has looked like his same old self whenever holes have presented themselves.

Would love to see him in Philly or Baltimore.

Still easily a top-5 NFL RB. Should have tons of suiters despite his age.
Give him an actual offensive line and watch what happens. The last OL rating I saw for Tennessee was #32.
I can't imagine the Titans line was worse than NYG, but yeah, Henry has looked like his same old self whenever holes have presented themselves.

Would love to see him in Philly or Baltimore.
I've seen 24th to 32nd to be fair over the last few weeks, but we are still talking bottom quarter of the league or worse.

Yeah. He’s not the type of back that’s ever been ideal to make something out of nothing getting hit in the backfield as he takes the handoff—you block for him, let him get a head of steam and ram into the little guys in the secondary. The above post about him hitting the 7th fastest speed by a ball carrier means he’s still fast with no qualifiers; clearly has at least a couple steps to lose before he’s not fast for a guy that big, which is good enough to produce in a non-terrible situation. Hell, he was still a low-end rb1 even with the crap he had to deal with this year.

It’d be a struggle to get a 2nd for him, he will retire off my roster

Yeah. He’s not the type of back that’s ever been ideal to make something out of nothing getting hit in the backfield as he takes the handoff—you block for him, let him get a head of steam and ram into the little guys in the secondary. The above post about him hitting the 7th fastest speed by a ball carrier means he’s still fast with no qualifiers; clearly has at least a couple steps to lose before he’s not fast for a guy that big, which is good enough to produce in a non-terrible situation. Hell, he was still a low-end rb1 even with the crap he had to deal with this year.

It’d be a struggle to get a 2nd for him, he will retire off my roster
He was hit behind the line of scrimmage more than any other back last year and ran for 1500

I wonder who will sign him. Not sure about cap ramifications but Baltimore always seemed like the perfect fit. I also think Bears would be a great fit to help a young QB or Fields with their improving defense.

I dropped Spears in a major injury/bye pinch, but kicking myself now. I wouldn't keep him over JT or Achane, but if/when Henry leaves I can see Spears being a top 10 RB.

Users who are viewing this thread