What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (2 Viewers)

Read an article the other day from Dan Duggan, Giants beat writer with The Athletic, I thought was pertinent to Henry.

He said he polled some execs and came away ball parking Barkely's value as a 5th and cited money owed for ROS and the RB market as issues. I know it's hard to believe but if it's remotely true I'd imagine Henry has the same kind of market.

So really, if this is anything close to accurate, unless Henry wanted out, I don't see much point in dealing away a franchise icon if that's the kind of return.

I'd just add to those who will say it's not true, that kind of low return. Maybe you are right but we saw a soft RB market this off-season if you really look at the league this year that stance is only justified further IMO.

Everyone's situation is different and market conditions change. To me, it felt like there were five loud RB voices in the off-season - Aaron Jones, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry. "Loud voices" really a gross over-statement though as I believe all these guys handled it with a degree of class - but were making their case in public for RBs to get paid. Then the season started and the argument for NOT paying RBs became quite clear... but then Taylor got paid, so go figure.

I keep going back to Buffalo because it feels like they have been missing the same piece ever since they became "contenders" again... their running game stinks - except for their QB - and that is not a good long-term plan if you value your QB. Buffalo needs a chain-mover and clock-killer to close out games. Thursday night was a prime example. Derrick Henry would have salted that game away by double digits. Instead, the Bills kept stalling out and punting back to Cleveland and really won by dumb luck (via the worst Hail Mary in the history of the NFL). Buffalo's window is now, and if Henry is difference-making piece, then that is worth much more than a 5th round pick IMO. Last I checked that trophy case in western NY was still empty.
This is the second time today that someone listed the opponent as Cleveland. I guess all those Baker Mayfield commercials are seared into everyone’s brains.
OMG! Yeah you're right... completely subliminal there. I'll go fix it. :laugh:
Ha, I woke up and looked back and saw that it was your other post that I remembered from the first time yesterday. But saw you edited that one too.

Pretty funny. And I knew right where your head was at both times.

Read an article the other day from Dan Duggan, Giants beat writer with The Athletic, I thought was pertinent to Henry.

He said he polled some execs and came away ball parking Barkely's value as a 5th and cited money owed for ROS and the RB market as issues. I know it's hard to believe but if it's remotely true I'd imagine Henry has the same kind of market.

So really, if this is anything close to accurate, unless Henry wanted out, I don't see much point in dealing away a franchise icon if that's the kind of return.

I'd just add to those who will say it's not true, that kind of low return. Maybe you are right but we saw a soft RB market this off-season if you really look at the league this year that stance is only justified further IMO.

Everyone's situation is different and market conditions change. To me, it felt like there were five loud RB voices in the off-season - Aaron Jones, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry. "Loud voices" really a gross over-statement though as I believe all these guys handled it with a degree of class - but were making their case in public for RBs to get paid. Then the season started and the argument for NOT paying RBs became quite clear... but then Taylor got paid, so go figure.

I keep going back to Buffalo because it feels like they have been missing the same piece ever since they became "contenders" again... their running game stinks - except for their QB - and that is not a good long-term plan if you value your QB. Buffalo needs a chain-mover and clock-killer to close out games. Thursday night was a prime example. Derrick Henry would have salted that game away by double digits. Instead, the Bills kept stalling out and punting back to Cleveland and really won by dumb luck (via the worst Hail Mary in the history of the NFL). Buffalo's window is now, and if Henry is difference-making piece, then that is worth much more than a 5th round pick IMO. Last I checked that trophy case in western NY was still empty.
This is the second time today that someone listed the opponent as Cleveland. I guess all those Baker Mayfield commercials are seared into everyone’s brains.
OMG! Yeah you're right... completely subliminal there. I'll go fix it. :laugh:
Ha, I woke up and looked back and saw that it was your other post that I remembered from the first time yesterday. But saw you edited that one too.

Pretty funny. And I knew right where your head was at both times.

Yeah that's crazy. I guess Baker is forever a Brown in my mind. It was those damned commercials.

I think he stays in Tenn for ROS. Don't see him pushing team for deal to contender. Would likely prefer to be waived in offseason so he can pick his own team.
As for Baltimore, since they never showed interest in J Taylor it would be surprising if they made a play for Henry. They are the anti-Eagles when it comes to trading.

I think he stays in Tenn for ROS. Don't see him pushing team for deal to contender. Would likely prefer to be waived in offseason so he can pick his own team.
As for Baltimore, since they never showed interest in J Taylor it would be surprising if they made a play for Henry. They are the anti-Eagles when it comes to trading.
All comes down to cost to acquire.

I wonder how much use Henry will get Sunday. It doesn’t make much sense giving him 20 touches,, then he gets hurt. He has nothing to prove.

In a roster move made on Thursday that flew a bit under the radar, the Baltimore Ravens waived one of their homegrown talents to make room for another player in their 53-man roster by cutting linebacker Jeremiah Moon.

Hmmm:ponder:

The plot thickens! I think it's gonna happen.

NFL should consider moving the trade deadline back a few weeks to create more of these "we're out of it" scenarios IMO.

6. DeAndre Hopkins and Derrick Henry look to be staying in Tennessee. Teams have called GM Ran Carthon on a number of players, and I was told Carthon is not moving on any offer unless it’s exceptional. (A source with the Cowboys also shared they never called about acquiring Henry.)

My thought is I don't put a whole lot of stock in her saying they look to be staying. This is just telling us they are not close on getting a good enough offer. Deadlines of course can make deals.

Also since some Baltimore speculation in here:

3. The Baltimore Ravens are looking to add a running back,

Byard was (probably) leaving after the season anyway.
this is the key. If you can't keep the guy anyway, and aren't winning much this year anyway...isn't ANY return better then nothing?
No I don't think so. Ya hit a point that an older player doesn't bring much value in return yet his effort, leadership,...and everything is simply worth more staying put.
Somehow Nuk got into this spot with the Titans too.

I hate that the Titans never allow a starter to get beat then keep the veteran as a backup anymore. These two may someday. I think Tannehill should become their backup.

I think Henry and Nuk could be valuable to a young QB. I am especially nervous this week that Tim Kelly won't run Henry a ton to take the pressure off the young guys. Supposing he runs twenty times for 100 yards, that ought to put eight in the box and theoretically make the D somewhat predictable where a young QB doesn't throw 8 interceptions.

It's an overly difficult task for the young QBs this week with an opponent that possibly knows the Titans better than these young arms do. They are quite lucky Pees retired but he keeps in touch and advises some and...this is up there with the good Belichick Ds of the last thing ya want a rookie QB to face. Henry is like the only hope they've got to get the offense rolling, get some rhythm with occasional passes and really just get things rolling

Russini and Atlanta papers interviewed Ran and he said Henry won't be traded.
New GM turned down interviews with local press so that is annoying.
Keep in mind though, he said he wasn't trading Byard

6. DeAndre Hopkins and Derrick Henry look to be staying in Tennessee. Teams have called GM Ran Carthon on a number of players, and I was told Carthon is not moving on any offer unless it’s exceptional. (A source with the Cowboys also shared they never called about acquiring Henry.)

My thought is I don't put a whole lot of stock in her saying they look to be staying. This is just telling us they are not close on getting a good enough offer. Deadlines of course can make deals.

Ravens could be looking at Dalvin Cook.

They’re better off with Gus

Cook is cooked

Was thinking similar

View attachment 4322
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

The Tennessee Titans informed Derrick Henry this week that they don’t plan to trade him despite receiving inquiries about the Pro Bowl running back, per sources.
Bummer. I was hoping he would get traded. He is one of my favorite players, and the Titans haven't used him as much this year as they have in the past. He is still a difference maker at his position, and I'd like to see him on a team that is making a run for the Super Bowl, and that would take advantage of his abilities.

View attachment 4322
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

The Tennessee Titans informed Derrick Henry this week that they don’t plan to trade him despite receiving inquiries about the Pro Bowl running back, per sources.
To me that article as more confirmation no one is offering anything to make it worth their while then what the Titans would like to do and them getting the message out they'll keep Henry unless someone steps up.

I have to agree. the fans in Tennessee would be upset.
if they trade Henry for a first or a 2nd, they can likely live with that. Trade him for a 5th? or let him walk for free? They wont like that at all.
Wouldn’t they get a better compensatory pick than a 5th if they let him walk?
Seems like it would be one of those end of the 3rd round picks.
For a 30 year old RB FA? Even with a guy as good as Henry has been over the years it seems pretty unlikely he'll sign a contract good enough to warrant a 3rd round comp pick. That's usually guys who sign multi-year expensive contracts, I'd guess like a 4th or 5th at the end of the round in 2025 at best for Henry. And that's if the Titans don't sign anyone themselves to cancel him out.
The only requirement is that the player ranks inside the top 35% in the NFL. There is no weight put on age or contract length

if they trade Henry for a first or a 2nd, they can likely live with that. Trade him for a 5th? or let him walk for free? They wont like that at all.
For a 30 year old RB FA? Even with a guy as good as Henry has been over the years it seems pretty unlikely he'll sign a contract good enough to warrant a 3rd round comp pick. That's usually guys who sign multi-year expensive contracts, I'd guess like a 4th or 5th at the end of the round in 2025 at best for Henry. And that's if the Titans don't sign anyone themselves to cancel him out.
The only requirement is that the player ranks inside the top 35% in the NFL. There is no weight put on age or contract length
What determines if they are in the top 35%? Avg Per Year is one of the main components and is directly affected by contract size & length, age of a player directly factors into how much money they are offered by teams and their APY. Especially in the case of runningbacks with much shorter shelf lives than other positions. Only one RB made enough in APY ranked in the top 5% last year (CMC) which could have fallen in the projected range to warrant a possible 3rd round comp pick. I find it highly unlikely Henry's going to sign a $16MM+ per year contract as a 30 yr old RB FA next offseason to qualify, but I guess stranger things have happened.

What determines if they are in the top 35%? Avg Per Year is one of the main components and is directly affected by contract size & length, age of a player directly factors into how much money they are offered by teams and their APY. Especially in the case of runningbacks with much shorter shelf lives than other positions. Only one RB made enough in APY ranked in the top 5% last year (CMC) which could have fallen in the projected range to warrant a possible 3rd round comp pick. I find it highly unlikely Henry's going to sign a $16MM+ per year contract as a 30 yr old RB FA next offseason to qualify, but I guess stranger things have happened.
Not true, contract length has nothing to do with it. If he signed a 1 year, 15MIL contract, and Tennessee does not sign another free against with the same value, Tennessee would get a 3-5 comp pick. Age and contract length have nothing to do with it.

He’s not going to get a $15M contract.

I believe the previous post was saying that whole age doesn’t factor into the comp pick “formula,” the age of the player DOES factor into the contract they will be offered, which is the main factor. So while age isnt a direct factor, it is a contributing factor, nonetheless.

Not true, contract length has nothing to do with it. If he signed a 1 year, 15MIL contract, and Tennessee does not sign another free against with the same value, Tennessee would get a 3-5 comp pick. Age and contract length have nothing to do with it.

You are either being deliberately obtuse or pedantic. No one is giving a 30 year old RB a 1 year $15MM contract (that’s 50% more than the franchise tag amt for a RB.) Even Barkley and Jacobs couldn’t get anywhere close to that this year. Good day to you, i’ll bow out of this pointless argument now.

All comes down to cost to acquire.
like it or not, this is what it always comes down to.
what you pay, and what that player adds to your team and does the former make sense given the latter?

most people just blindly want someone to sign this free agent or that one, but sometimes their skillset doesnt match the scheme and if there are off field issues or if the player is known to be a bad apple in the dressing room teams dont want to tie a big contract to that type of player.

sadlky, we rarely get the lowdown on how good a teammate a player is off the field. My bet is that quite often takes an acceptable player unacceptable when factoring in all things.

The Titans win along with Levis’ emergence probably all but ensured Henry won’t be moved - the team is only one game out of the wild card now.

Last edited:
Fox Sports Jay Glazer said one team told him, “We still think we’re in talks” with the Titans regarding a trade for Derrick Henry.

The Titans said last week they weren’t shopping their star running back, but Glazer believes the team could be posturing in hopes of receiving better offers with the trade deadline looming. The fact there’s at least one team who believes they’re still in talks to acquire the veteran running back is enough to suggest he could still be on the move before tomorrow’s deadline. Henry rushed 22 times for 101 yards in Week 8’s win over the Falcons, and has enough left in the tank to bolster a contender’s rushing attack for the final stretch of the season.

Welp it's out there that he can be had for a second round pick.
4pm is the deadline to renegotiate contracts so it's likely if he's dealt it's today in a few hours.
Tomorrow he can be traded and the receiving team eats it but it's been said no team will pay a second without the Titans taking on some salary so...fingers crossed it doesn't happen

The Titans thinking that had something in Levis, at least enough of something to be competitive, after one game so they kept Henry is some galaxy brain thinking. Now, like we all predicted, the team still stinks, Henry won't be back next year, and they'll have nothing to show for it.

Another bad matchup this week and will they even feed him carries? Season is over and they might be wanting to see more of Spears going forward. I won last week despite the pitiful 11 carry game, but can't start him if that's the new trend.

Really don’t get it. Even if they are down a TD or two and the line isn’t great, historically I thought Vrabel loved to keep feeding Henry, and by carry 15-18 the defense is beaten up and he starts breaking chunk plays?

Or has he just lost a few steps and finally hit the cliff?

They are a quite rubbish team I think.

But, why run him into the ground for absolutely nothing? Seems completely pointless. I reckon the plan is to sign him to a short term deal end of season, keep him a bit fresher going into next when they've made some improvements, see whether Will Levis is worth persisting with by putting it on his back remainder of season, see if next year is better.

I'm not really seeing a reason why Henry will be a Titan next yea unless they somehow magically become a contender overnight. He's going to sign with a team that can potentially win a Super Bowl in the next 1-2 years.

I'm not really seeing a reason why Henry will be a Titan next yea unless they somehow magically become a contender overnight. He's going to sign with a team that can potentially win a Super Bowl in the next 1-2 years.
Looking forward to see where he goes. Don't think it will be back in TN. Surprised TN didn't move him at the deadline to get something for him.

Looking forward to see where he goes. Don't think it will be back in TN. Surprised TN didn't move him at the deadline to get something for him.
If Levis hadn't thrown for 4 TDs a few days before the trade deadline, I think they would've more seriously considered moving him.

A lot of football between now and next season, but I think there will be a decent market of competitive teams looking for a solid RB like Henry.

Users who are viewing this thread