What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chuba Hubbard, CAR (1 Viewer)

The Athletic's Joe Person writes the absence of a power runner on the roster means "that could leave Chuba Hubbard as the short-yardage back."

It would seem to be a pretty decent casting of talent to use Hubbard in that role. He had a 29.7% DVOA on 18 carries with three yards to go for a first or less last season, and at 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, he's sizeable if not a total brute. This is listed in an article regarding a roster hole for the Panthers though, so it's possible this role gets taken away via signing.
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 30, 2023 at 1:54 PM ET

Not sure of the split numbers just yet but Hubbard being used heavily by the Panthers. I think he's outsnapped Sanders, who fumbled just as I typed this. Mainly rushing so far but at least 1 or 2 targets as well.

Chuba Hubbard rushed nine times for 60 yards in Week 1 vs Atlanta.

Hubbard mixed in as the No. 2 back behind Miles Sanders. The 11 touches were more than expected for Hubbard, who ripped off a 21-yard run. Hubbard could push for standalone value as the RB2 behind Sanders in run-heavy gamescripts. The Panthers play the Saints for their home opener in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Anything to see here? He was almost my final roster cut to start the year - and while I admittedly haven't watched much of him, he seems to be outperforming Sanders efficiency wise with each touch. Does anyone foresee this becoming more of a 50/50 type split if Hubbard continues to produce with his touches?

Anything to see here? He was almost my final roster cut to start the year - and while I admittedly haven't watched much of him, he seems to be outperforming Sanders efficiency wise with each touch. Does anyone foresee this becoming more of a 50/50 type split if Hubbard continues to produce with his touches?
He had fewer touches week 2 than in week 1, so if anything he’s going the wrong direction……

They are feeding the guy they paid but Chuba has been more efficient which could lead to a more even split. I think Chuba is a decent back and worth holding onto if you have the room as he could provide a nice stretch if Sanders gets dinged.

Absolutely
I got Chuba cheap on a few teams this summer and already had him in one.
He's a bit beneath a feature back. He's got this toughness between the tackles at times but ya just know he's never gonna be the man.
He's rated especially high as a receiving back.

Sanders was a bad idea acquisition when they needed a power back bruiser.
Everyone has been exaggerating about Sanders since he entered the NFL.
He's good. He's not great and never was.

These two are more similar than people will ever admit.

Sanders will get hurt and Chuba will put up a few nice games then Sanders will return. Chuba will get dinged up and miss a little bit of time and Sanders will do well.

If an offense passes a lot to the backs, we're on that in FF. Gimme those "free" two catches for twenty yards to go with whatever other stats they have. It makes a suspect back quite usable in FF especially for bye weeks.

There's been a bunch of backs like them for FF. Myles Gaskin a few years back. Arizona had one didn't they?. Questionable line or WRs or QB and they throw to the backs more soooo ok I'll take them in FF.

They make good bye week covers

Chuba had some great metrics after the week 1 results were in:

Jack Brentnall
Chuba Hubbard was quietly very efficient in Week 1:
🔹 6.67 YPC (4th)
🔹 77.8% success rate (1st)
🔹 22.2% explosive rate (1st)
🔹 66.7% first down rate (1st)

Scott Barrett
Week 1 RB Leaders by Missed Tackles Forced per Touch
(Per @FantasyPtsData)

1. Jahmyr Gibbs (0.78) 👀
2. Breece Hall (0.55)
2. Chuba Hubbard (0.55)
4. Nick Chubb (0.50)
5. Josh Jacobs (0.43)
6. Kenneth Walker (0.38)

Yeah, safe to say Jahmyr Gibbs is in line for more work

Chuba Hubbard out-snapped Miles Sanders 38-32 in the Panthers’ Week 4 loss to the Vikings.

Through the first three weeks of the season, Sanders played on 61 percent of the team’s snaps compared to the 36 percent of snaps Hubbard was in on. That snap share was flipped on its head in Week 4, as Hubbard out-snapped Sanders and finished the day with a 52.8 percent snap share. Hubbard didn’t do much with his touches, totaling 53 yards from scrimmage on 16 touches, but it was a more efficient performance than the 2.0 yards per touch Sanders averaged on the day. Sanders’ fantasy performance has been largely carried by his receiving upside, but Hubbard also ran 17 routes to Sanders’ 13 despite seeing one less target on the day. Fantasy managers in need of added running back depth would be wise to stash Hubbard when waivers comes around this week.

Honestly, nothing really stopping Hubbard from taking this job from Sanders while he's out. Its very possible this isn't some one week fill in for owners.

I
Honestly, nothing really stopping Hubbard from taking this job from Sanders while he's out. Its very possible this isn't some one week fill in for owners.
This would be great. I just realized yesterday my RB stable is made up of Swift, Kyren, and Mostert and all have a bye in week 10. And so I’m starting to try and figure out which pieces may work then. I’m lucky in that I snagged Hubbard yesterday. The panthers offense looks pretty putrid, but warm bodies are welcome on this 1-4 team of mine.

I
This would be great. I just realized yesterday my RB stable is made up of Swift, Kyren, and Mostert and all have a bye in week 10. And so I’m starting to try and figure out which pieces may work then. I’m lucky in that I snagged Hubbard yesterday. The panthers offense looks pretty putrid, but warm bodies are welcome on this 1-4 team of mine.

Um, I just added him to a 1-4 team of my own. I should be set at RB, but I'd much rather have him on my end of bench (taking away a possible starter from other desperados) than giving someone else a "fair" option to fill in when needed.

:football:

For sure, Sanders has done nothing. Certainly worth an add if you have the room. I snagged him this week in 2 of my 3 leagues.

Very familiar with slow starts, actually quite fortunate to have experienced anything different. :) Likely the wrong move, Sanders owner & added Hubbard, feel fortunate to have gotten him. I'm starting him over Rachaad White, due to matchup & that he's done well in the past.

Well. Announced as starter. Does that mean he gets a larger share of the touches? For one week I think so. I'm old. I still like to hand cuff. It gives me comfort. I get the pros and cons of it. I just want one of these guys to be flex worthy. Thinking for this week its Chubba.

Two DNPs with a hammy.

Anything to be concerned about?

Matchup is good and he's getting volume. Debating grabbing M. Sanders if not to use, but at minimum block

Two DNPs with a hammy.

Anything to be concerned about?

Matchup is good and he's getting volume. Debating grabbing M. Sanders if not to use, but at minimum block
I'm curios as well as I thought he finished the game last week.

@homers out there to know if he is in danger of missing the game or this is just rest from a long season.

I read something like tightness after the game became a strain.

My other option is broken thumb Dillon and probably out Keenan Allen.

I'll be looking for Panthers RB practice squad promotions or something to give me pause. At the moment, it sounds quite treatable.

Friday is always more telling...except this late. If I were a coach, I'd rather him get lots of treatment than practice so I can't blame em if we just get a DNP tomorrow

Is this guy going to be "the guy" next year or will they try to add another RB...again. Probably not is my guess and they go back to the well in the draft.

Is this guy going to be "the guy" next year or will they try to add another RB...again. Probably not is my guess and they go back to the well in the draft.
Growing in year 3 makes sense but the dude was disrespected with the sanders signing. Odds are he will be disrespected again. The new foreman

The time to trade him in dynasty was 24 hours ago. The window has closed.
Not every rookie RB can pass protect. Not every rookie RB makes the transition to the NFL.

And almost no NFL team uses a feature back - especially not a rookie.

I wouldn’t start shoveling dirt on Chuba’s grave just yet. People did that last year when Miles Sanders signed. They were wrong.
Hubbard was RB36 on a ppg basis. Rooster clogger.

Not every rookie RB can pass protect. Not every rookie RB makes the transition to the NFL.

I wouldn’t start shoveling dirt on Chuba’s grave just yet. People did that last year when Miles Sanders signed. They were wrong.
He was better as the season went on and the staff realized Miles Sanders can't play. Plus Carolina spent overt $100 million to bring in 2 new OGs. In theory, it should be a better offensive environment. I agree long term Chuba isn't valuable but I think in 2024 he could be a cheap RB3 for a contending dynasty team.

He was better as the season went on and the staff realized Miles Sanders can't play. Plus Carolina spent overt $100 million to bring in 2 new OGs. In theory, it should be a better offensive environment. I agree long term Chuba isn't valuable but I think in 2024 he could be a cheap RB3 for a contending dynasty team.
Cheap RB3 makes sense. Probably a 16th round pick.

Users who are viewing this thread