What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chuba Hubbard, CAR (4 Viewers)

Anyone besides me feel Hubbard just wasn't into football last year?   I know he battled an ankle injury, but I get the feeling ole' Chuba's mind was somewhere else.
He said in his Panthers interview that he was also coming off groin surgery.  

Panthers signed fourth-round RB Chubba Hubbard to a four-year contract.

He's the first of Carolina's 11 draft picks to agree to a contract. A Canadian high school track star, Hubbard (6’0/210) signed with Oklahoma State as a three-star recruit and immediately showcased difference-making top speed. He became an All-American as a sophomore by rushing for 2,084 yards and 21 touchdowns on 328 carries, but that workload was arguably too heavy for Hubbard to handle. He had two offseason surgeries and suffered an ankle sprain last season, tanking his timed top-end speed (4.50 forty) and draft stock in the process. Overall, Hubbard isn’t going to break many arm tackles in the pros and likely comes with a touch restriction. To maximize his in-space talents, Hubbard needs to develop his pass-catching abilities (53 career receptions). He profiles as a big-play No. 2 or No. 3 back in the NFL but obviously won't handle many touches behind Christian McCaffrey. He'll be a tremendous option to stash on rosters (a la Mike Davis) just in case injuries surprisingly spring on McCaffrey once again.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

May 6, 2021, 12:28 PM ET

Been sifting through rookie drafts to see where he's being taken, but really wish I could tell what % of owners drafting him have CMC and are cuffing.  In my 1QB with the way RB's fly off the shelves in rookie drafts, I'm not so sure I can get him at 2.11 but don't feel it's worth giving up anything to move higher for him.  

Been sifting through rookie drafts to see where he's being taken, but really wish I could tell what % of owners drafting him have CMC and are cuffing.  In my 1QB with the way RB's fly off the shelves in rookie drafts, I'm not so sure I can get him at 2.11 but don't feel it's worth giving up anything to move higher for him.  
This is where I'm at.   Good chance he's at the top of my draft board if there at 2.12, but not trading up.  Will just move on to Herbert, Stevenson, Mitchell, Freiermuth, or a WR that drops.

Once you get to mid 2nd in non SF, it's really wide open where guys go. Chuba should be there at 2.11 but all it takes is one guy to take him. 

Got him at 3.03 in a 12 teamer. Gotta think if he landed anywhere else, he'd be valued more. Only a few guys (McCafferey being one of them) that you don't want to get stuck behind.

But with his speed... he only needs 8 touches a game.

Got him at 3.03 in a 12 teamer. Gotta think if he landed anywhere else, he'd be valued more. Only a few guys (McCafferey being one of them) that you don't want to get stuck behind.

But with his speed... he only needs 8 touches a game.
I mostly got him as insurance for CMC. I don't think he's injury prone, but having the (who I think) projected back up is never a bad idea.

Is this guy worth a stash in redraft?
If I had McCaffery I would have him on my roster. He's looked good in the receiving game. Of course it always depends on the size of your bench. Edit to say he did catch 3 of 4 in his last preseason game. The one drop did look bad, like he was fighting the ball. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had McCaffery I would have him on my roster. He's looked good in the receiving game. Of course it always depends on the size of your bench. Edit to say he did catch 3 of 4 in his last preseason game. The one drop did look bad, like he was fighting the ball. 
In my redraft on Sat, Hubbard went in the 13th round of 27 - it’s IDP, so that’s like the 10th round of 17 in a team D/ST league. 

Just a ridiculous reach. Pretty sure he did it just to cheese me off. I’m expecting a trade offer any minute now. :doh:  

Rookie RB Chuba Hubbard is one of three running backs on the Panthers' initial 53-man roster. 

Carolina waived RB Rodney Smith and released RB Reggie Bonnafon to get to 53, leaving Hubbard as the clearcut No. 2 back behind Christian McCaffrey. An All-American as a sophomore at Oklahoma State -- rushing for 2,084 yards and 21 touchdowns -- Hubbard carved out the backup role with a strong preseason in which he rushed for 139 yards on 26 carries. Hubbard displayed the burst and big-play ability he showed at Oklahoma State. He should be rostered in every 12-team league as a potential top-12 back should CMC once again struggle with injuries in 2021. The Athletic's Joe Person said there's almost no scenario where Hubbard would split backfield work with McCaffrey. Carolina "didn’t make McCaffrey the highest-paid running back in league history to have him alternate series with Chuba Hubbard or Spencer Brown," he said. "He’s going to be on the field for nearly every offensive snap when the score’s close, and probably when it’s not."

RELATED: 

Christian McCaffrey

SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter 

Aug 31, 2021, 8:45 PM ET

Freeman broke off some longer runs. But after that long completion got them in the red zone, Hubbard went back in. But Tremble got the score.

Not that impressed with this dude. Given this offensive line, nobody is going to mistake this guy for a league winner. As a CmC owner, unless you have no other options, or CmC looks like he’ll be our for a while, I wouldn’t break the bank on this guy.

Chuba Hubbard rushed 11 times for 52 yards in the Panthers' Week 3 win over the Texans, adding three receptions for 27 additional yards. 

Hubbard and No. 3 back Royce Freeman got the final 42 minutes of the game to themselves after Christian McCaffrey put one of the most textbook hamstring strains you will ever see on film. Predictably, neither back offered anything close to CMC's efficiency or explosiveness, though rookie Hubbard was the clear leader in the clubhouse. He left meet on the bone, dropping a touchdown and getting stood up on a 4th-and-5 from the Texans' five-yard line. He did appear to "settle in" as the second half wore on, posting several 10-plus yard gains to keep the chains moving and clock running. There is little doubt he will be the lead back while McCaffrey misses what figures to be several games. Although already highly rostered, Hubbard is a priority add across the board ahead of a dream Week 4 shootout spot with the Cowboys.  

Sep 23, 2021, 11:50 PM ET

Drafted this guy in the 15th round because I thought he had a funny name. Almost dropped him to pick up a replacement for Jacobs and Landry. 

Not that impressed with this dude. Given this offensive line, nobody is going to mistake this guy for a league winner. As a CmC owner, unless you have no other options, or CmC looks like he’ll be our for a while, I wouldn’t break the bank on this guy.
You can make that assessment in less than half of a game?

I wasn’t watching but 4.7 ypc and 10 targets are better numbers than most starting RBs I’ve seen of late. Fantasy team owners will pay a pretty price for what looks to be 15-20 points per game on average  

Tough season for running backs and we are only just into week three.

why would you overwork you’re all world running back? Seems like some poor decisions made by coaching staff through the first 2 1/2 games. 

You can make that assessment in less than half of a game?

I wasn’t watching but 4.7 ypc and 10 targets are better numbers than most starting RBs I’ve seen of late. Fantasy team owners will pay a pretty price for what looks to be 15-20 points per game on average  

Tough season for running backs and we are only just into week three.

why would you overwork you’re all world running back? Seems like some poor decisions made by coaching staff through the first 2 1/2 games. 
I was watching and not only did he look good after a couple stuffs & a dropped TD pass, but he settled down nicely & busted a couple big runs. 

And, most importantly, he looked a hell of a lot better than Freeman. He had 14 touches in 42mins, so figure 16-20 touches in a full game?  And he was in for a couple RZ snaps & targeted on one, so….

haters gonna hate. I’m incredibly happy I dealt for my handcuff, or the next few weeks would have sucked. Great matchup on tap for Hubbard, too. 

what are we bidding? 5-10%? 45? Second mortgage?

guess we need to knows what grade the pull/strain/tear is first.

Royce is a non-factor, right?

right?

I was watching and not only did he look good after a couple stuffs & a dropped TD pass, but he settled down nicely & busted a couple big runs. 

And, most importantly, he looked a hell of a lot better than Freeman. He had 14 touches in 42mins, so figure 16-20 touches in a full game?  And he was in for a couple RZ snaps & targeted on one, so….

haters gonna hate. I’m incredibly happy I dealt for my handcuff, or the next few weeks would have sucked. Great matchup on tap for Hubbard, too. 
agreed. I was a little worried that freeman was going to look better and screw all my chubba shares, but he looked just ok. I see a 70-30 split likely if cmac is out for an extended period. I also know that I likely will have few Royce shares bc all the wise guys and haters are going to pay up for freeman now. 

Own him in one league, interested in buying in my other three

not really about talent, it’s a volume play

I know 2020 was a long, long time ago but Mike freaking Davis

what are we bidding? 5-10%? 45? Second mortgage?

guess we need to knows what grade the pull/strain/tear is first.

Royce is a non-factor, right?

right?
Assuming he is on the wire (not in any of my leagues) he’s likely about a 60% of your faab budget guy depending on the cmac news. If he is on a team, I expect Royce to go for about 30% of faab tops with the range being 10-30%. 

It was Houston defense in a short week and he busted runs in the 4th quarter. Gonna reserve judgment here but he was awful in relief first few weeks 

I’m guessing 12-15 Carries a week with 3-5 receptions. Rb2 material but running efficiency looks like it’ll suck. Cmc was barely cracking 5 ypc with this trash o-line. What makes you think he will do better?

Assuming he is on the wire (not in any of my leagues) he’s likely about a 60% of your faab budget guy depending on the cmac news. If he is on a team, I expect Royce to go for about 30% of faab tops with the range being 10-30%. 
oh yes the obligatory he was drafted in all my weeks (implication being you play with guppies). He as in all mine as well.

He’s been dropped, picked up and dropped again.

Not every single hand cuff of every back is Rostered in every league.

he’s likely about a 60% of your faab budget guy depending on the cmac news. If he is on a team, I expect Royce to go for about 30% of faab tops with the range being 10-30%. 
Sounds about right. I’ll put in a keep them honest bid - I would say 30% - and probably lose. IDC. Pretty stacked.

It was Houston defense in a short week and he busted runs in the 4th quarter. Gonna reserve judgment here but he was awful in relief first few weeks 

I’m guessing 12-15 Carries a week with 3-5 receptions. Rb2 material but running efficiency looks like it’ll suck. Cmc was barely cracking 5 ypc with this trash o-line. What makes you think he will do better?

You just described an amazing waiver pickup.. and who did you see suggesting he would do better than CMC?

You just described an amazing waiver pickup.. 
Right?  “Oh noes, all I get to replace CMC (or stand-alone) is a 15-18 touch feature back who gets the backfield receptions in an offense build around featuring the running back. Also his only competition is Royce Freeman. This is terrible, I’d like to speak to a manager immediately about a refund.”

…said no one ever.

Right?  “Oh noes, all I get to replace CMC (or stand-alone) is a 15-18 touch feature back who gets the backfield receptions in an offense build around featuring the running back. Also his only competition is Royce Freeman. This is terrible, I’d like to speak to a manager immediately about a refund.”

…said no one ever.
There are a lot of Karens out there in the world, though. 

What are people getting in return for Chuba in redraft? I have a good RB stable but am weak at WR. 

I picked him up off waivers in the *one* FBG redraft tourney that he was available in. I am in over 30 of these. That one league is the one where I am in the worst way at RB of any of my teams. I spent $677/1000 for him and barely beat the next bid. $669. I may only use him for 2 weeks but this team is not going to win matchups or score enough points to turn it around if I don't do something about it. It probably can't get there anyway but I'm going to keep balling until I can't.

I also got him off waivers in my main home league. It is an auction league where I drafted CMC for $63/200 draft budget but didn't cuff him. Someone dropped Chuba the day before the injury and I snagged him. Just in case. But I didn't feel right about it. I don't usually cuff but I felt compelled to with CMC in that spot. But it felt slimy and wrong. I told myself I'd be pissed if CMC got hurt and I didn't grab Chuba for free with one mouse-click. So I did and then like clockwork CMC goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread