What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Bucky Irving, TB (1 Viewer)

I'm a fan and have been since I saw his first carries at Oregon but he had one of the worst combines a college RB has ever had. I'm rooting for him and think he is a better player than the combine figures reflect but it needs to be a red flag on him.

I'm a fan and have been since I saw his first carries at Oregon but he had one of the worst combines a college RB has ever had. I'm rooting for him and think he is a better player than the combine figures reflect but it needs to be a red flag on him.
That RAS number is brutal. Feel like that kind of thing matters the least for RBs though.

Dalvin Cook bombing his comes to mind.

Tough to measure the contact balance, vision, and tackle breaking ability inherent in great backs.

Kent Lee Platte
Kyren Williams was drafted with pick 164 of round 5 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 3.52 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 1059 out of 1632 RB from 1987 to 2022. ras.football/ras-informatio… #RAS #Rams

Kyren Williams has been very productive in the NFL despite having a poor RAS score. Bucky Irving should not be written off for having a poor RAS score.

Kent Lee Platte
Kyren Williams was drafted with pick 164 of round 5 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 3.52 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 1059 out of 1632 RB from 1987 to 2022. ras.football/ras-informatio… #RAS #Rams

Kyren Williams has been very productive in the NFL despite having a poor RAS score. Bucky Irving should not be written off for having a poor RAS score.
Wait wait wait. Faust can talk?

That RAS number is brutal. Feel like that kind of thing matters the least for RBs though.

Dalvin Cook bombing his comes to mind.

Tough to measure the contact balance, vision, and tackle breaking ability inherent in great backs.

Hope you're right because I drafted him today in a dynasty league but I'm also a huge fan and that usually clouds my judgement....see James, LaMichael and Freeman, Royce.

Kent Lee Platte

Faust became self-aware on Thursday May 2 around 8:40 pm ET

Kent Lee Platte

Faust became self-aware on Thursday May 2 around 8:40 pm ET
I’m a real boy!

seems to profile as maybe slightly better than a JAG?

I'd be happy if I was a White owner...I don't see much of an immediate threat.

The issue for White is Irving has one skill he's really good at, and that's pass catching, and while White is also good at it, if you are going to take touches off White's plate, that's the logical place to start, as its the only aspect of RB that someone on the team is as good (arguably better) than White.

Irving profiles as a Patriots style 3rd down type to me. In the Kevin Faulk, Danny Woodhead, James White mold. Not enough to make a run at a starting job, but enough to be really annoying for Rachaad White owners, and really useful for Baker Mayfield.

Bucky is a going to be a good test between body & athletic measurables vs. football player. His body, combine & workout numbers are below average pretty much across the board. But his actual game plays shows some serious football abilities. His stable metrics are damn near the top in every category too.

I'll take the football player side and say he way outperforms his draft spot in NFL & Fantasy.

Bucky is a going to be a good test between body & athletic measurables vs. football player. His body, combine & workout numbers are below average pretty much across the board. But his actual game plays shows some serious football abilities. His stable metrics are damn near the top in every category too.

I'll take the football player side and say he way outperforms his draft spot in NFL & Fantasy.
PFF seems to love his "things the RB can control" metrics.

Poor man's James Cook?
Isn’t he just poor mans rachaad white?
Rachaad White took a significant step forward last season, and I don't see Irving challenging White for a passing-down role. I wish Irving had been drafted into a better situation. He was the 6th RB taken in the Draft, which is better than I expected heading into the Draft, but I am curious how others would rank Irving's dynasty value compared to some other backs taken after him:

Bucky Irving, TB (Rd. 4, Pick 25)
Will Shipley, PHI (Rd. 4, Pick 27)
Ray Davis, BUF (Rd. 4, Pick 28)
Isaac Guerendo, SF (Rd. 4, Pick 29)
Braelon Allen, NYJ (Rd. 4, Pick 34)
Audric Estime, DEN (Rd. 5, Pick 12)
Tyrone Tracy, Jr., NYG (Rd. 5, Pick 31)
Kimani Vidal, LAC (Rd. 6, Pick 5)
Dylan Laube, LVR (Rd. 6, Pick 32)
Dillon Johnson, TEN (UDFA)
Michael Wiley, WAS (UDFA)
Blake Watson, DEN (UDFA)
Carson Steele, KC (UDFA)

I fear Irving may have to cut his teeth with ST work until an opportunity presents itself to get on the field with the offense. Good players will seize opportunities; hopefully, that will be the case for Irving.

The issue for White is Irving has one skill he's really good at, and that's pass catching, and while White is also good at it, if you are going to take touches off White's plate, that's the logical place to start, as its the only aspect of RB that someone on the team is as good (arguably better) than White.

Irving profiles as a Patriots style 3rd down type to me. In the Kevin Faulk, Danny Woodhead, James White mold. Not enough to make a run at a starting job, but enough to be really annoying for Rachaad White owners, and really useful for Baker Mayfield.
I'm not a huge White fan despite rooting for the Bucs
I will tell you the IOL stunk last year and the Bucs could not run the football very well
That said...White gobbled up 272 carries for 3.6 yds per carry which flat out sucks
He hasn't technically cracked 1,000 yds rushing yet entering Year 3 and some of you are ready to dismiss Bucky Irving or say he's not a challenger for touches, I disagree

White is 6-2/215
Irving is 5-9/195, they are not built the same.

White 91st overall
Irving 125th overall...similar range, 91st is LATE 3rd, Irving went in the 4th round, not light years of talent difference here IMHO but again they are not the same RB
I see Bucky a lot like Trav is viewing him.
Bucky totaled almost 3,000 total yds his last 2 years of college with 21 TDs to pair with those numbers, think Bucky will get some work between the 20s this year for sure.

Poor man's James Cook?
Isn’t he just poor mans rachaad white?
Rachaad White took a significant step forward last season, and I don't see Irving challenging White for a passing-down role. I wish Irving had been drafted into a better situation. He was the 6th RB taken in the Draft, which is better than I expected heading into the Draft, but I am curious how others would rank Irving's dynasty value compared to some other backs taken after him:

Bucky Irving, TB (Rd. 4, Pick 25)
Will Shipley, PHI (Rd. 4, Pick 27)
Ray Davis, BUF (Rd. 4, Pick 28)
Isaac Guerendo, SF (Rd. 4, Pick 29)
Braelon Allen, NYJ (Rd. 4, Pick 34)
Audric Estime, DEN (Rd. 5, Pick 12)
Tyrone Tracy, Jr., NYG (Rd. 5, Pick 31)
Kimani Vidal, LAC (Rd. 6, Pick 5)
Dylan Laube, LVR (Rd. 6, Pick 32)
Dillon Johnson, TEN (UDFA)
Michael Wiley, WAS (UDFA)
Blake Watson, DEN (UDFA)
Carson Steele, KC (UDFA)

I fear Irving may have to cut his teeth with ST work until an opportunity presents itself to get on the field with the offense. Good players will seize opportunities; hopefully, that will be the case for Irving.
Bucs' fans, myself included, thought it was quite odd that Ray Davis was not the selection considering Liam Coen is now the OC in Tampa.

I will tell you the IOL stunk last year and the Bucs could not run the football very well
That said...White gobbled up 272 carries for 3.6 yds per carry which flat out sucks
He hasn't technically cracked 1,000 yds rushing yet entering Year 3 and some of you are ready to dismiss Bucky Irving or say he's not a challenger for touches, I disagree

White is 6-2/215

White 91st overall
Irving 125th overall...similar range, 91st is LATE 3rd, Irving went in the 4th round, not light years of talent difference here IMHO but again they are not the same RB
Bucky totaled almost 3,000 total yds his last 2 years of college with 21 TDs to pair with those numbers, think Bucky will get some work between the 20s this year for sure.
I think they want someone to cut into White's early down work. Bucky's tackle breaking ability, vision, and contact balance should help him carve out a role there. His college metrics suggest he does all of the "RB things" better than White. He is NOT a good blocker, so I don't think they intend to use him on 3rd downs.

White is 6-2/215

White 91st overall
I think they want someone to cut into White's early down work. Bucky's tackle breaking ability, vision, and contact balance should help him carve out a role there. His college metrics suggest he does all of the "RB things" better than White. He is NOT a good blocker, so I don't think they intend to use him on 3rd downs.
I've found that being good at pass blocking and playing on 3rd downs has very little correlation. Ultimately receiving ability>>>>>pass blocking ability.

Just for a quick example, if you look at the bottom-10 RBs at pass blocking in 2023, that list includes:

Christian McCaffrey
David Montgomery
Jaylen Warren
Jahmyr Gibbs
Alvin Kamara (dead last)
James Cook
Joe Mixon
Miles Sanders
Javonte Williams
Austin Ekeler

White is 6-2/215

White 91st overall
At least by yards per target White has been a very good receiving RB so why fix what is already great?

White is 6-2/215

White 91st overall
At least by yards per target White has been a very good receiving RB so why fix what is already great?
He has been an excellent receiver. He has missed a lot of open lanes and opportunities for big(ger) plays as a runner though.

Irving has some receiving chops too, but White is pure.

White is 6-2/215

White 91st overall
He’s been extraordinary. His catch rate is elite.

Irving would have to be a spectacular pass catcher at the next level to take White off the field in those situations imo.

Users who are viewing this thread