What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Breece Hall, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Breece Hall ran 4 times for 72 yards and a TD during the Jets' Week 7 game against the Broncos before getting forced from the game with a knee injury and did not return.

Both the body part and the immediate rule out are the worst possible news for the electric rookie, though Hall was at least able to put some weight on his leg before he hopped on the cart for his ride to the locker room in the second quarter. He is probably staring at a multi-week absence but hopefully not a season-ending one. Michael Carter is the next man up both for the final three quarters of today's game and Week 8 against the Patriots. Hall's status should be updated by either late Sunday evening or early Monday morning.

Jets coach Robert Saleh said the team believes Breece Hall (knee) suffered an ACL injury.

A brutal break for Hall, who ran for an electric score before leaving Week 7's game and had wrested control of the backfield from Michael Carter. He looked to be becoming an RB1 for the second half of the fantasy season. If it is indeed a torn ACL, Hall will probably be out for the season. Carter will need to be rostered anywhere he was dropped as he should be in line to be the Jets No. 1 back.
-
Rich Cimini, Twitter

I'm in the same boat. I'm 5-1 in a salary cap league signed him to the max 4-year contract and he is one of the main reasons I'm 5-1. I have Carter but he is my next best back now. I have Elijah Mitchell and Jeff Wilson and a couple of other scrubs. It's a start-one running back league (if you want) I was playing him alone. The Niners traded for CMC and now this. It's been a bad week so now I get to try and figure out what I do next. LOL. Maybe, the Jets will trade for Jeff Wilson. They do have ties with the Niners.

Where is the guy who said it wasn't serious cause the cart only picked him up half way to the locker room?

That was MoP, I think. He merely said it might not be that bad.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 5-1 in a salary cap league signed him to the max 4-year contract and he is one of the main reasons I'm 5-1. I have Carter but he is my next best back now. I have Elijah Mitchell and Jeff Wilson and a couple of other scrubs. It's a start-one running back league (if you want) I was playing him alone. The Niners traded for CMC and now this. It's been a bad week so now I get to try and figure out what I do next. LOL. Maybe, the Jets will trade for Jeff Wilson. They do have ties with the Niners.
They might but does that help you? Carter was a good play last year before Hall came along. Trade for a rb and you may end up starting 1/2 of a running back. In your shoes I would be hoping for no trades and for Carter to pick up where he left off last year. (Hope for Wilson to get traded elsewhere imo)

Where is the guy who said it wasn't serious cause the cart only picked him up half way to the locker room?

That was MoP, I think. He merely said it might not be that bad.

They might but does that help you? Carter was a good play last year before Hall came along. Trade for a rb and you may end up starting 1/2 of a running back. In your shoes I would be hoping for no trades and for Carter to pick up where he left off last year. (Hope for Wilson to get traded elsewhere imo)
This makes a lot of sense. This roster was an overachiever roster as it was. I'm sure I will choose some course of action but tonight I'll allow it to hurt and then get to work. I'm in the morning period right now. I know the kid is hurting more than I am.

And this will carry into next season as well.

Yeah, it'd probably be, what, week 10 next year before you're comfortable starting this guy? Have to imagine he's out at least the first six weeks at a minimum. Probably not even going to get drafted next year, but he's a guy to watch on the waiver wire once bye weeks start in '23.

I don't have Hall anywhere in FF, but I live in the NYC market and this is incredibly sad on several levels. For the young man, so disappointing not to be able to watch him and enjoy the rest of the season. For the Jets, they are really overachieving,this is a young team and an edge like that is huge.

WTF....did they amputate his his leg? ACL isn't ruining his 2023 season.
Probably not. Depends if it was a clean ACL or there was other damage. It didn't look too bad so I am hoping it's a singular tear. If that is the case, he should be ready to go for the start of the season but players can have setbacks, compensatory injuries or even just need to be eased in slowly. It's something we have to keep an eye on next spring and summer.

One of the reasons I took over a 16-team dynasty IDP orphan was Hall.

Swift has been out for weeks, I lost Lance in game 2, and now Hall.

I traded a substantial chunk of my 2023 draft to contend & now I’m probably going to be a seller to try to recoup some draft equity.

I like my chances for next year, but man what a killer this one was. He was playing great & it felt like he had a short path to top 5.

Not to mention what a kick in the pants it is for the Jets. Carter isn’t bad, but Hall was better. By a lot. Game breaker.

Sigh

Last edited:
WTF....did they amputate his his leg? ACL isn't ruining his 2023 season
There's a chance he isn't even cleared for the start of the 2023 season.
What are the odds he will be running 1st team reps at camps and off season practices?
It sets the franchise back quite a bit in the immediate aftermath of it. Hall was ascending quickly to a top 10 level starting RB with explosion

I posted a question in the Jets thread, wonder if Elijah Moore can get his wish of being more involved in the offense and take some hand offs like Deebo was doing for the Niners.
Big vacuum created on offense for them, the Jets will have to think about throwing the football more.

WTF....did they amputate his his leg? ACL isn't ruining his 2023 season.

There are no guarantees in life. There are chances he turns into Dobbins who struggled mightily, but odds are he will be fine. Most acl tears are coming back strong
It all depends on the severity.

Not a doctor, but having literally just consulted with my orthopedic surgeon I feel like I stayed at a holiday inn last night.

The thing with Dobbins is that it was a total knee reconstruction - which means all the tendons went kablooie, and his knee completely dislocated. That's a much more severe injury to come back from and has much higher risk. Rehab is significantly more difficult than 1 tendon, and there is likely also bone necrosis & cartilage damage, requiring microfracture (which I'm about to undergo in Jan) and possibly cadaver cartilage graft for the femur or other areas.

Every part of that increases the recovery time & compounds difficulty in rehabbing.

So….if it’s just ACL, I see no reason why Hall won’t be playing next year. It’s typically (roughly) a 9 month recovery period, which would be July of next year. He could be ready for game 1, if not sooner.

But that’s all TBD until we get the report. I didn’t see anything to indicate that his knee dislocated, but that’s just me watching the play, and again, I’m not a doctor - hopefully that’s the case here.

Last edited:
I was trying to think of the last injury which tore me up in fantasy, got me feeling all fantasy bluesy inside more and I could not. Really not sure I've ever been so down over an injury. I was all in on this guy and I did 28 redraft management leagues in high to mid stakes leagues, $300-1,600 entry fees after applying discounts. I was all-in on him and drafted him in 9 leagues total, including 3 at the high end entry fee mark.

Anyway just stinks and on top of some other players I was heavy into going down for undetermined time yesterday it was as bad of a day as I can recall but I understand no one wants to hear about it.

Fantasy aside it just stinks of course. I play fantasy football because I like football and he was fun to watch, a little different, it's like someone put a jet pack on prime Leveon Bell. And as a long time football fan I enjoy seeing passionate long suffering fan bases, yes the Jets, have something good for once going on. They still do but this has to take a lot away from it.

As for his recovery into next year everyone heals different but my outlook will depend heavily on if it's a multi-ligament tear. This may have zero to do with this injury or recovery but I do recall him missing some practice time a few weeks ago with a knee injury and that first game back I saw him limp while walking to the sideline after a play. Wonder if he his knee was barking at him a little or he had some instability issues cropping up? Guess it does not matter now.

Really not sure I've ever been so down over an injury.

I feel the same way. I was all over him from the combine on. I altered my entire roster to acquire the rights to get him in my main dynasty league. I'm a Jets fan, so I was thrilled when I'd heard they traded up in the second round -- I knew they were taking Hall and had traded in front of Houston to be sure they could draft him. And then his performances up through the 60 yard run that did indeed look like Le'Veon with a jet pack. 21.87 MPH.

This just guts me all the way around. I hope, by a freak of nature, that the tests come back showing something less severe than an ACL tear with its attendant reconstruction/year off.

My redraft leagues are all for fun. I can't relate to your investment, and I'm sorry that you had so much invested in him. That truly stinks.

Breece Hall suffered a torn ACL on Sunday and will miss the rest of the 2022 season.

Hall also suffered a minor meniscus injury. He will undergo surgery and look to return to begin 2023. Hall's injury is a devastating turn for a rookie who looked to be emerging as one of the best young talents in the league. Once fully healthy, he can be expected to operate as the Jets' clear-cut starter once again. Michael Carter will shoulder the load with Hall out but doesn't offer the same explosiveness that Hall did. Still, he should have RB2 value as a three-down player without strong competition for touches.
- Adam Schefter, Twitter

A group of us in the Shark Pool started an FFPC dynasty league together last year. During the startup, I traded down and picked up a 2022 rookie 1st belonging to @barackdhouse. He did me a solid and got the 1.01, which I've never had in an FFPC rookie draft before. My team isn't that great but having an RB like Hall in an FFPC league is a massive building block. Totally bums me out.

What do you do with Hall in a keeper league? ACL tears tend to affect a player's performance for years. Seems it takes 2 years after surgery for a player to get back to any semblance of normal.

Would it be crazy to drop him?'
EDIT: It's a 3-keeper league so can't keep anyone we want. Most likely will be keeping Hurts, AJB, and Tyreek.

As for his recovery into next year everyone heals different but my outlook will depend heavily on if it's a multi-ligament tear. This may have zero to do with this injury or recovery but I do recall him missing some practice time a few weeks ago with a knee injury and that first game back I saw him limp while walking to the sideline after a play. Wonder if he his knee was barking at him a little or he had some instability
ACL + minor meniscus.

Should be 9 month recovery. That’s typical for anyone. For a world-class athlete (as some are fond of saying around these parts) it can be shorter.

What do you do with Hall in a keeper league? ACL tears tend to affect a player's performance for years. Seems it takes 2 years after surgery for a player to get back to any semblance of normal.

Would it be crazy to drop him?
Yes. That would be crazy and also not smart. At least put him on the block, but personally I’d never sell low on a talent like Hall.

Worst part of fantasy football. I drafted both Javonte & Hall in both of my biggest money leagues that are longstanding and extremely competitive. By far the worst part, Javonte goes down the same game he was going to get 90% of the work, few weeks later Hall is easily top 5 ROS and off to another incredible start to a game vs a good D......and bye.

I've been slightly depressed since yesterday afternoon and question why I put so much time and effort into this.

We allow for 2-3 keepers in some of my "redrafts" and we also allow for an I/R move, I'm hoping you have one and you can just taxi Hall to that spot until next season. I would not cut him.

Last edited:

We allow for 2-3 keepers in some of my "redrafts" and we also allow for an I/R move, I'm hoping you have one and you can just taxi Hall tot hat spot until next season. I would not cut him.
Would love to do that but it would mean choosing Hall over one of Hurts, Hill, AJB and not sure that's the wisest move if I can't use Hall most of next season.

As for his recovery into next year everyone heals different but my outlook will depend heavily on if it's a multi-ligament tear. This may have zero to do with this injury or recovery but I do recall him missing some practice time a few weeks ago with a knee injury and that first game back I saw him limp while walking to the sideline after a play. Wonder if he his knee was barking at him a little or he had some instability
ACL + minor meniscus.

Should be 9 month recovery. That’s typical for anyone. For a world-class athlete (as some are fond of saying around these parts) it can be shorter.
let’s hope his age and recent results bode well here……think dalvin cook and saq barkley.

Worst part of fantasy football. I drafted both Javonte & Hall in both of my biggest money leagues that are longstanding and extremely competitive. By far the worst part, Javonte goes down the same game he was going to get 90% of the work, few weeks later Hall is easily top 5 ROS and off to another incredible start to a game vs a good D......and bye.

I've been slightly depressed since yesterday afternoon and question why I put so much time and effort into this.
I'm almost in the same boat as you. Trying not to let it get to me but I hadn't had a good RB in YEARS since I typically go ZERO RB. I zeroed in on Hall in my league when everyone else was caught up with the other big name RBs. Real bummer.

I'm sure it's a bigger bummer for Hall, but this is a FF forum after all.

ACL + minor meniscus.

let’s hope his age and recent results bode well here……think dalvin cook and saq barkley.
It took Saquon 2 years to get back to form. Not sure how long it took Dalvin but I seem to remember him also suffering nagging injuries when he came back, much like Saquon, because athlete's bodies tend to overcompensate in the aftermath of injuries and recovery.

My guess is it takes Breece 2 years to get back to his pre-injury form.

I had Javonte and Hall too. Because I always wait on RB due to injuries like these. Which is quite ironic, isn't it?

ACL + minor meniscus.

It took Saquon 2 years to get back to form. Not sure how long it took Dalvin but I seem to remember him also suffering nagging injuries when he came back, much like Saquon, because athlete's bodies tend to overcompensate in the aftermath of injuries and recovery.

My guess is it takes Breece 2 years to get back to his pre-injury form.
Both Cook and Saquan suffered additional injuries when coming back from the ACL.

It wasn’t the knee that effected them the 1st year back IIRC.

Some players take longer than others to regain confidence, no question. It could impact Hall’s 2023. But then it might not. Every player is different. Age has a lot to do with it - and he’s very young, so that helps.

We allow for 2-3 keepers in some of my "redrafts" and we also allow for an I/R move, I'm hoping you have one and you can just taxi Hall tot hat spot until next season. I would not cut him.
Would love to do that but it would mean choosing Hall over one of Hurts, Hill, AJB and not sure that's the wisest move if I can't use Hall most of next season.
Every league is different

Ouch. yeah, that changes things.

I’d still try to sell rather than drop. Someone rebuilding might want to take a flier on a project & give you a high draft pick. Worth exploring at least.

Don’t do anything hasty.

I hate injuries. It almost makes me hate FF too.

ETA: To be honest, my heart isn't into FF as much this year. I won my dynasty baseball league (includes rostering minors prospects) and I got more satisfaction out of that than I would any FF title and I have a few teams that should compete for a FF title.

Both Cook and Saquan suffered additional injuries when coming back from the ACL.

It wasn’t the knee that effected them the 1st year back IIRC.
He had mentioned a lot of players have injuries when they return due to over-compenstation. Which I think it true.
Yeah - they’re called “sympathetic injuries” - a player doesn’t totally trust the repaired knee, so they move/run differently leading to strains & sprains of other lower body parts.

But IIRC with Barkley it was a sprained ankle, and a shoulder - which could have happened without a knee repair.

RB is also a dangerous job, and things get hurt. :shrug:

I don’t have as clear a memory on Cook’s recovery, but I do remember one injury was the dislocated shoulder, which wouldn’t really be considered a sympathetic injury.

Hate to see such a young talent go down like this, and who was obviously improving with each game. I truly have zero doubts he was going to be a top 3 PPR RB by season's end.

Was on a roll with Hall and Henry, and now have to adjust. Have Herbert, Eno, Pacheco, and Cam.

Get healthy kid, and I honestly am feeling bad for Jets fans as well. On a roll with something to cheer for, then boom.

He had mentioned a lot of players have injuries when they return due to over-compenstation. Which I think it true.
Common injury post ACL is hammie trouble. Cook had hammie issues (could be ACL recovery related) while Barkley had a high ankle sprain because he stepped on someone's ankle (not ACL related).

Users who are viewing this thread