What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB A.J. Dillon, GB (1 Viewer)

Safe to say he’s out for Sunday? 😔
yeah, this sucks. He was starting to play really well. If we can survive our semi-final matchups, he has a juicy matchup week 17 at home against the Vikings.

Why is he out for Sunday? He may clear the protocol
Maybe, but most have been missing at least one game.
When my wife hits me in the head with a frying pan I haven't missed one errand. Dillon will be fine :)

yeah, this sucks. He was starting to play really well. If we can survive our semi-final matchups, he has a juicy matchup week 17 at home against the Vikings.

I would think the issue will be "was" he actually concussed last night or just held out for evaluation. I also own Jones, not sure what is best for my situation.

I would think the issue will be "was" he actually concussed last night or just held out for evaluation. I also own Jones, not sure what is best for my situation.
lol same boat. Depends who you plug in for Dillon I'm sure. I think I'd rather Dillon out and Jones have a big week and play someone else.

Anything come out of this?
The first key will be seeing whether Dillon can practice in any capacity by Wednesday and Thursday. In all likelihood, the Packers may hold a walkthrough on Wednesday, so that might not give us a full idea, as the report would be an estimation. However, what we have generally seen is that if a player is not back practicing in a limited fashion by Wednesday or Thursday, they rarely return to the field the week following the injury.

I think it's really simple. It'll either come out that he was placed in protocol but not dinged w/ a concussion- he will practice and he will play

or he will be in concussion protocol due to the concussion and he won't play.

No way he clears the new protocol in 6 days w/ a cross country flight..

I misjudged this one as thought Jones would be out of town, I guess the restructure makes sense assuming Jones is ok w/ it. But Dillons dynasty value takes a hit, although he should get more work than he did this year, I would think.

(fantasypros) Aaron Jones is expected to return in 2023, according to general manager Brian Gutekunst. However, the team could work to restructure Jones' contract, much like they have done with other core players.
Analysis: Restructuring Jones' contract would allow the Packers to reduce his cap hit for 2023 and beyond. The veteran back remained dominant this past season, totaling 1,121 rushing yards, 395 receiving yards, and seven total touchdowns. Despite his solid stats, Jones lost opportunities to young teammate AJ Dillon, especially toward the end of the season. Dillon found the end zone seven times and also saw increased usage around the goal line. This unique backfield dynamic could put a cap on Jones' and Dillon's fantasy upside in 2023.

I misjudged this one as thought Jones would be out of town, I guess the restructure makes sense assuming Jones is ok w/ it. But Dillons dynasty value takes a hit, although he should get more work than he did this year, I would think.

(fantasypros) Aaron Jones is expected to return in 2023, according to general manager Brian Gutekunst. However, the team could work to restructure Jones' contract, much like they have done with other core players.
Analysis: Restructuring Jones' contract would allow the Packers to reduce his cap hit for 2023 and beyond. The veteran back remained dominant this past season, totaling 1,121 rushing yards, 395 receiving yards, and seven total touchdowns. Despite his solid stats, Jones lost opportunities to young teammate AJ Dillon, especially toward the end of the season. Dillon found the end zone seven times and also saw increased usage around the goal line. This unique backfield dynamic could put a cap on Jones' and Dillon's fantasy upside in 2023.
I thought he got a lot of work. Probably more than any other committee back

"Expected to return" and "restructure" seem incongruous here. "Expected" is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

This sounds like the team wants him back at a discount - which is something A-aron may not want to accept, especially after being a substantial component of that team's offense.

It will be interesting to see if Jones accepts such a restructure, or seeks a larger payday via FA. If he does depart, it's pretty friendly to GB, and AJDillion's value skyrockets.

This sounds like a situation that's hardly settled - kind of sounds more like an opening PR salvo from the team giving Jones a head's up that they want to restructure him.

Interestingly, I just saw an almost identical update to this on RT Sports, with the addition of this sentence;
The Packers have the option of opting out of the 28-year-old's deal for next season, but it appears they want him back if they can agree to restructure.

That seems pretty important.

Last edited:

"Expected to return" and "restructure" seem incongruous here. "Expected" is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

This sounds like the team wants him back at a discount - which is something A-aron may not want to accept, especially after being a substantial component of that team's offense.

It will be interesting to see if Jones accepts such a restructure, or seeks a larger payday via FA. If he does depart, it's pretty friendly to GB, and AJDillion's value skyrockets.

This sounds like a situation that's hardly settled - kind of sounds more like an opening PR salvo from the team giving Jones a head's up that they want to restructure him.

Interestingly, I just saw an almost identical update to this on RT Sports, with the addition of this sentence;
The Packers have the option of opting out of the 28-year-old's deal for next season, but it appears they want him back if they can agree to restructure.

yeah good points, just not sure there's gonna be a huge market for a 28 year old RB. and Jones just seems like a guy who will be happy to stay w/ GB esp. is A-Rod is back, although i'm purely guessing on that.

I thought he got a lot of work. Probably more than any other committee back
Towards end of season got more work, but that was partly b/c Jones was dinged up a bit. He averaged 10 carries a game throughout the season, and wasn't really playable in fantasy for most of the year.

My tea leaf reading says Jones is coming back at a reduced rate but Dillon sees more work.

They’re already leveraging the out, but that doesn’t mean he’s gone.

If Rodgers is back, A Jones will be back. If Rodgers retires (why would he?) or asks to be traded, Jones will be gone too.

If Rodgers is back, A Jones will be back. If Rodgers retires (why would he?) or asks to be traded, Jones will be gone too.
Agreed...seems most likely it all revolves around Rodgers at this point (given the contract and dead cap if he is gone). But also...if Rodgers comes back, they will do what they can to try and run it back with as much of the core guys as they can (like Jones).

Agreed...seems most likely it all revolves around Rodgers at this point (given the contract and dead cap if he is gone). But also...if Rodgers comes back, they will do what they can to try and run it back with as much of the core guys as they can (like Jones).
Nobody knows the Packers like you do. Putting aside your bias for the Packers, do you think Rodgers wants to return to Green Bay?

Yeah, I feel that too.

I totally agree about Jones staying for sure if Rodgers comes back, but was on my phone so my reasoning was abbreviated.

It does not necessarily mean he's gone if Love is there. Depends on the restructuring.
The challenge is, what if it’s an Adams situation. What if to sign the FAs to bolster the OL, help on D, FA WR, etc, they need to save some 💰?

I could see a scenario where Rodgers is back but Aaron Jones is gone.

I think it’s far less likely, but it’s the business of football - something’s gotta give, and having both AJD & Jones is a luxury

I could see a scenario where Rodgers is back but Aaron Jones is gone.

So can I. I shouldn't have used "for sure" but I equivocate enough on these boards so much that finality and assuredness are sometimes welcome. I think if Rodgers stays, they restructure a bit and Jones stays. I think if Love is the QB, they either restructure a lot or get an FA or somebody in the draft.

Nobody knows the Packers like you do. Putting aside your bias for the Packers, do you think Rodgers wants to return to Green Bay?
I have absolutely zero idea what that guy wants anymore.
I think he likes Lafleur alright...but Im sure there is some ego that he thinks he can go somewhere and make a team better (and with the Carr news...probably dreams of playing with Adams again). I think he would be fine staying though but needs to be coddled and told how much they love him type a thing it seems.

I think he likes Lafleur alright...but Im sure there is some ego that he thinks he can go somewhere and make a team better (and with the Carr news...probably dreams of playing with Adams again). I think he would be fine staying though but needs to be coddled and told how much they love him type a thing it seems.
I'm tired of the drama... I think the Packers are better off without him.

He wants control and attention.

He wants control and attention.
I can buy into the first half of that sentence.

Why is he settling for that?

There could be a few reasons. One is he truly seems to love Green Bay and has ties to the organization. Secondly, there's a glut of free agents and incoming draftees making the RB market really tight. Perhaps it was the best he thought he could do in terms of money for that reason.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Packers are going to lean heavily on the run game to help out Jordan Love while he gets his feet wet.
I believe, and am hoping, AJ gets the GL carries and plunges about 10 in this year.

Ill always have a soft spot for Dillon. Fun guy to watch play football. I watch his clips and I think this guy should be an elite NFL RB. Can play all 3 downs. Really want this dude to get a shot at 250 plus carries.

He's an interesting test case inside the mind of fantasy football players.

Last season he was a "sneaky play" and/or "shark move" kind of guy and that bumped him to low end RB2 (#24 or so) status in PPR redraft leagues.

He had a virtually identical year in 2022 as he did in 2021 and this year being drafted as not even an RB3 (around the 40th RB off the board).

Even if he only repeats what he did last season he should finish as a RB3.

I also like that he scored a TD in 5 of his last 6 games in 2022. Feels like a real value play this season.

Great value on Dillion - 3 leagues I grabbed him for a fraction of what it took to land Jones. Plus in keeper leagues he is a FA next year and could earn a bell cow spot somewhere if he has a good year. Excellent #3 RB with big upside IMO

Great value on Dillion - 3 leagues I grabbed him for a fraction of what it took to land Jones. Plus in keeper leagues he is a FA next year and could earn a bell cow spot somewhere if he has a good year. Excellent #3 RB with big upside IMO
Let's be clear though. Jones has been a much, much better real world and fantasy RB throughout his career than Dillon has ever been.

Dillon is a legitimate value play but I think it's a mistake to equate that value to where Jones was drafted.

Let's be clear though. Jones has been a much, much better real world and fantasy RB throughout his career than Dillon has ever been.

Dillon is a legitimate value play but I think it's a mistake to equate that value to where Jones was drafted.
Agreed- Jones is def more valuable right now and the reason why he is drafted so much higher - just think the gap is not as big as the draft value as well especially if you have the keeper upside.

Agreed- Jones is def more valuable right now and the reason why he is drafted so much higher - just think the gap is not as big as the draft value as well especially if you have the keeper upside.
I don't think he'll supplant Jones, but I do hope he can get a bunch of GL TDs while playing for a FA contract next year.
The stars are aligned, I'm confident he has the talent, I just don't know what the HC is thinking about his usage (yet).

He's a firm hold for me unless something much better comes along.

I don't think he'll supplant Jones, but I do hope he can get a bunch of GL TDs while playing for a FA contract next year.
The stars are aligned, I'm confident he has the talent, I just don't know what the HC is thinking about his usage (yet).

He's a firm hold for me unless something much better comes along.
Exactly. There are a few avenues to increased value if Green Bay decides to take even some of the load off Jones. Goal line or receiving opportunities are potentially there even barring injury to Jones.

He's definitely a hold.

The biggest obstacle IMO is actually the effectiveness of the GB offense as a whole. If the decline from Rodgers is steep, obviously there will be issues for all fantasy prospects.

Ill always have a soft spot for Dillon. Fun guy to watch play football. I watch his clips and I think this guy should be an elite NFL RB. Can play all 3 downs. Really want this dude to get a shot at 250 plus carries.
My heart says no. My suspicion says AJD surprises. I've been grabbing him from the haters all offseason and late in drafts. Free is free :shrug:

My heart says no. My suspicion says AJD surprises. I've been grabbing him from the haters all offseason and late in drafts. Free is free :shrug:
Yeah grabbed him 9.3 in my local 14 teamer. He went late 5th last year after all the hype. I didn't really change my opinion of him from last year to this year. Decent bye week filler and of course the lead dog if Jones goes down. Just a lot cheaper this year.

AJ Dillon rushed 13 times for 19 yards in the Packers’ Week 1 win over the Bears, adding two receptions for 17 additional yards.

Dillon wound up leading the Packers in rush attempts, but that total was impacted by an injury that knocked Aaron Jones (hamstring) from the game late in the third quarter. Dillon struggled to get things going on the ground against a Bears team that was gouged by Jones, but he could be tasked with handling RB1 duties if Jones is unable to go in Week 2 against the Falcons.

- Rotoworld

Its clear watching that offense...that Jones is just that much better...that much more dynamic in the offense.
I like Dillon, nice guy and all and a decent runner, but not sure his real fit in the offense.

Its clear watching that offense...that Jones is just that much better...that much more dynamic in the offense.
I like Dillon, nice guy and all and a decent runner, but not sure his real fit in the offense.
He is good in the redzone or being lead dog in a crap weather game. Otherwise, 'meh'. Doesn't really standout much more than any other backup RB in the league.

Users who are viewing this thread