What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB A.J. Dillon, GB (1 Viewer)

I've been reading and watching a ton since last night. 

LaFleur (all but one time) says AJ not Jamaal as the replacement over n over. That's significant.

I think Jamaal. I think the Packers missing their LT is another sign for Jamaal.

The Packers (WR injuries and LT) should probably use the Titans two and three TE set and grind with their RB but they haven't done that all year. LaFleur clearly believes in his QB regardless of circumstance and I appreciate that.

It's curious that AJ, LaFleur, and Aaron spoke of him being surprised he had a twenty yard run last week. This makes me think short yardage back.

The Titans lost their LT against JJWatt last week and he moved over to face his replacement. Once his replacement did well, JJ moved around as he does but seemed to be opposite LT a bit more than I'd expect. You have to figure the same with GB missing their LT this week. 

I guess I'd start Dillon if I had to, you can't ignore the coach saying that. I still highly question it. LaFleur has had plenty of sleepless nights trying to deal with Clowney, Watt, and Mercilus. Their D isn't the same but I don't think LaFleur forgot and is gonna risk Aaron
Thanks for the info and insight though I don’t think it helped me make my call lol

Dillon has to be able to catch a dump pass screen and pick up the blitz and know when to do which as the play breaks down.

Any curiosity won't supercede keeping Aaron upright. 

Byes...I get it, otherwise I wouldn't start him in FF til he passes the pass pro test
Were there reports that his pass pro was a concern or is that assumed because he’s a rookie? My assumption for his small amount of snaps so far was simply that Aaron Jones is playing great football - and that Williams provides a good passing game option.
I feel fine about him as a third flex option in a game where the Packers should be moving the ball a lot and needing to use both backs a lot. 

Were there reports that his pass pro was a concern or is that assumed because he’s a rookie? My assumption for his small amount of snaps so far was simply that Aaron Jones is playing great football - and that Williams provides a good passing game option.
I feel fine about him as a third flex option in a game where the Packers should be moving the ball a lot and needing to use both backs a lot. 
This!!

Anyone considering playing him today out of desperation? I am debating between him and Bell. Total mysteries workload wise. 
🙋🏻‍♂️.  With Jones down he’s in for me over Fournette and Hasty.  

*not excited about it as I’m not a Dillon truther, just the best option I have I think.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, do I ever want to start Dillon today in dynasty. He just thumps. We'll see what he can do in the NFL.
I'm tempted, but league i have him is full ppr and he's just not worth the risk at second flex. He has a floor of near 0. They could just go Williams all day. 

I'm tempted, but league i have him is full ppr and he's just not worth the risk at second flex. He has a floor of near 0. They could just go Williams all day. 
Yeah, I decided not to. I just get this feeling he might go off. But that depends on too much and I've got better probabilistic plays.

Well with the pack dominating the first half if he doesn’t get some good run in the second half not sure he will at all this year.  No better chance then now. 

You drew a comparison line I didn't. Jones has been playing great and will surely keep his job.

Every rookie must prove they can pass protect and every FF person doesn't want to believe it... including me, but it is always true. We just gotta remind ourselves of that sometimes

If Lafleur is following Henry's model, he has to find work for Dillon this year. If he's just doing whatever, he has to find work for Dillon this year. If he insisted on the second round RB, he has to find work for Dillon this year.

I think we'll see the Vikes don't have a chance in keeping up with the Packers WRs, the Pack have a good lead and Dillon plays much of the 4th Q. From there, hopefully confidence is built (or maybe it's the next 4th Q or the next) and then he can bite into some time in the first three Qs.

The big backs always rely on strength and bullying when they're unsure. It doesn't work and someone tells them and it's lookout, as he's full steam ahead. It doesn't matter if ya look at young Brandon Jacobs, Bam Morris, Okoye, or Henry. Once you see them hitting the hole fast, then it changes. 

It may be over for good if they re-sign Jones.
Except they need to resign both Jones and Williams.  Both are free agents.  And they won't be signing both.

Also losing at least one offensive lineman as both Linsley and Bahktiari are set to be free agents.  Doubt they can keep both.  Im guessing 2 of the 4 at best.

There was no reason for the Packers to draft him, it never made sense and we all know it. They had a stud and a way better back capable of being a bell cow already rostered.

In fact, it was a wasted useless pick that did not help the team in any way.  He may be a good RB, but it never made sense for this team, they didnt need him.
This is why I have thought they picked Dillon because he was BPA.

We haven't seen any sign of that being the case yet though.

There was no reason for the Packers to draft him, it never made sense and we all know it. They had a stud and a way better back capable of being a bell cow already rostered.

In fact, it was a wasted useless pick that did not help the team in any way.  He may be a good RB, but it never made sense for this team, they didnt need him.
Both of their backs going into the year are on the last year of their contract...I think there is reason to draft RB in an era where teams don't value the position.  If Jones wants that big money...they were better set to have already drafted and started to develop who they wanted to replace him.  Now...I understand the criticism of drafting him right now...I understand criticism of his style vs what they already have and what seems to be working in their offense with guys who can catch the ball very well out of the back field.  But to just look and say they have Williams and Jones...why draft a RB...that ignores the contract situations of those two.  Well run teams draft before the need arises...not after.

Agreed.  They should have added some QB depth.

Both of their backs going into the year are on the last year of their contract...I think there is reason to draft RB in an era where teams don't value the position.  If Jones wants that big money...they were better set to have already drafted and started to develop who they wanted to replace him.  Now...I understand the criticism of drafting him right now...I understand criticism of his style vs what they already have and what seems to be working in their offense with guys who can catch the ball very well out of the back field.  But to just look and say they have Williams and Jones...why draft a RB...that ignores the contract situations of those two.  Well run teams draft before the need arises...not after.
So the defending super bowl Champs aren't a well run team? 

I think the Chiefs seem to be well run and address needs prior to them being full needs.

what are you referring to?
They haven't exactly been planning two years ahead at RB.  They drafted Clyde to start right away.  As many well run teams do with RBs either through the draft or free agency.  It's not a position you have to plan ahead for, typically.  You can address it when the need comes up without having to anticipate the need coming in the future, as many teams have done recently.

If Aaron Jones walks this offseason they could have just as easily addressed the need in the 2nd round of this year's draft, once they know Jones is gone for sure.  RB is a pretty easy position to step right into and contribute as a rookie.

They haven't exactly been planning two years ahead at RB.  They drafted Clyde to start right away.  As many well run teams do with RBs either through the draft or free agency.  It's not a position you have to plan ahead for, typically.  You can address it when the need comes up without having to anticipate the need coming in the future, as many teams have done recently.

If Aaron Jones walks this offseason they could have just as easily addressed the need in the 2nd round of this year's draft, once they know Jones is gone for sure.  RB is a pretty easy position to step right into and contribute as a rookie.
They also had other backs...its not as if they went into the draft having list multiple backs.  Their previous starter had not even opted out yet.  The guy who had 104 yards rushing and a Td in the super bowl.  Two years ahead...its one year.  Jones and Williams are free agents after this season.

sho nuff said:
They also had other backs...its not as if they went into the draft having list multiple backs.  Their previous starter had not even opted out yet.  The guy who had 104 yards rushing and a Td in the super bowl.  Two years ahead...its one year.  Jones and Williams are free agents after this season.
That seems a little semantic.  Whether teams pick up their starter for the year in FA that same offseason or the draft that offseason, I don't think there's really any difference between not having anyone rostered versus not having anyone they feel comfortable playing as their starter.

The Seahawks are a well run organization and they went into the 2018 draft I believe with only UDFA coming off a major injury Chris Carson on the roster at RB, and drafted Penny to start right away.  Obviously it didn't work out as they foresaw but they weren't worried about finding a guy way ahead of time.

In the 2017 draft I don't believe the Ravens had anyone of note signed beyond 2017 yet they didn't spend a pick on a RB (especially an early one).  They added Gus Edwards as an UDFA after the draft and then signed Mark Ingram to start right away when the need got major.

It would have been one thing if GB had added a RB with like a 5th round pick just to make sure they have someone at least signed beyond this year like with Carson (6th round) or Edwards (UDFA), but using a valuable 2nd round pick on one especially after they had just punted their 1st rounder on someone that won't help them for years too was pretty dubious IMO.

And your point about KC not coming into the draft having "just lost multiple backs" is kind of my point too.  GB doesn't know if they will go into next year's offseason having just lost multiple backs or not.  Maybe they'll re-sign one of their current three, or even two of them.  Who knows?  The thing with RB is they can wait until they know for sure and still be A-OK.  So why burn the pick ahead of time when they may end up not needing him?

barackdhouse said:
It's not like there were any impact WRs in this draft either.
Well, when you're as deep at the position as the Packers are you can afford to pass on the new infusion of great talent and stick with what awesomeness you already have in the room. 

:cry:

Well, when you're as deep at the position as the Packers are you can afford to pass on the new infusion of great talent and stick with what awesomeness you already have in the room. 

:cry:
It's true, it was a good problem to have. Backup QB does make more sense. And 3rd RB.

I get it, but they could grab a free agent or draft a guy next year who may even have a better upshot then a big back who doesnt come in looking like a 3 down back.

Just seemed for a team on the brink of a SB, they could have grabbed a WR and as we have seen we all knew that was a need and with Adams getting hurt it was a glaring failure to not draft a WR there. 

I dont think its ignoring the contract situation as much as reaching for one in that spot. The draft spot as well is the massive dinger here...when it appears James Robinson was much better and could be had for cheaper. My point is in a bigger picture, RB draft position dont matter. 
Sure...Im not saying Im all that happy with the move (nor am I about QB in the first).  While ILb may look better going forward with some flashes the young guys have shown...a WR somewhere in those 2 rounds would have been great.  RB I understood more just because of the contract situations with their top two guys.

We won't know what James Robinson vs. Dillon really is overall...and it was odd for GB to value a RB that high as well...Robinson may start out looking better...lets see where they fall in a few years.  The league is full of guys who flashed early and fizzled.  Well, not full so much as they fizzled and are gone.

There were 11 WRs drafted in 2020 ahead of the Dillon pick. There were 3 WRs drafted between Dillon and Green Bay's 3rd pick, Lynn Bowden, Bryan Edwards, and Devin Duvernay. If you are a Waldman disciple, Dillon was ranked #14, Edwards #18, Duvernay #23, and Bowden #62. You can make a case for drafting Edwards, but depending on Green Bay's draft board and given the RB expiring contracts, It's hard to say they made a poor decision. 

A.J. Dillon rushed five times for 21 yards, adding one catch for 16 yards in Green Bay's Week 8 loss to Minnesota. 

It was the rookie's third consecutive game with five carries. Even so, Dillon stayed an afterthought without Aaron Jones (calf) available, getting out-touched by Jamaal Williams 22 to 6. Dillon remains a terrific dynasty stash but is clearly a long ways away from contributing for re-draft leagues in 2020.

- Rotoworld

Packers placed RB AJ Dillon on the reserve/COVID-19 list

He's been ruled out for Week 9. Dillon played Sunday against the Vikings, rushing five times for 21 yards and catching one pass for 16 yards. Contact tracing is underway to see who has been in close contact with Dillon (presumably several Vikings defenders). All players are tested Sunday morning but results aren't available until late Sunday or early Monday, a breathtaking shortfall in the league's COVID protocols. Dillon's positive virus test comes as COVID-19 cases explode in Wisconsin -- one of many virus hot spots in the US. In their run up to Thursday night's game against the 49ers, Green Bay could be faced with tough choices if any other running back was determined to have contact with Dillon in the past few days. 

- Tom Pelissero

AJ Dillon (COVID-19) on Thursday practiced for the first time in six weeks. 

Finally, the rookie is back on the practice field after being placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list on November 2. Without Dillon, the Packers have operated with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams getting nearly all the backfield touches. Dillon, who had 23 rushing attempts in six games before being placed on the COVID list, would only get fantasy-worthy playing time if Williams or Jones missed time. It's hard to say whether Dillon will be active in Week 14 after an extended layoff. 

SOURCE: Matt Schneidman on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 1:44 PM ET

Anyone see the eighteen yard gallop he had? He would have broken it, but a skinny safety brought him down as he tried a spin move around him. The whole thing was funny. He looks big and fast. King Henry would have stiff-armed the safety on the way to a sixty yard touchdown, but Dillon got his eighteen yard gain.

Here's the run. One. run.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1340484706920517637

Users who are viewing this thread