What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Wilson, DEN (5 Viewers)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports there are "zero issues" with the shoulder BYU QB Zach Wilson had surgically-repaired in 2019. 

The Jets, who seem locked into Wilson at No. 2, have reportedly received info from "trusted medical sources." It would appear nothing was flagged at Wilson's Combine re-check in Indianapolis. Speaking Tuesday, Jets GM Joe Douglas all but admitted Wilson would be the team's pick.  

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 8, 2021, 3:15 PM ET

NFL Draft 2021: BYU’s Zach Wilson to the Jets isn’t a lock and Woody Johnson wants to know what you think

Excerpt:

Hold everything.

Prevailing wisdom and just about every mock draft on the planet have the New York Jets using the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft on BYU quarterback Zach Wilson.

But SI’s Albert Breer dropped this nugget Tuesday on Twitterwhich indicates Wilson to the Jets is not guaranteed:

The Jets and Broncos will be represented at Justin Fields’second pro day (Wednesday) in Columbus, per sources. Both had GMs at his first pro day last week.

Now, it’s entirely possible this is just due diligence by Jets general manager Joe Douglas. After all, you never know what can happen when the draft starts in two weeks. Perhaps someone makes Douglas an offer he can’t refuse for the No. 2 pick and the Jets move down the board. If that’s the case, Douglas still needs to walk away from the draft with a new franchise QB after sending Sam Darnold to the Carolina Panthers.

Lots of negative evaluations of Wilson's talent now coming to the fore. I can't tell whether this is just a function of media gonna media or whether this isn't partially driven by the Twitter narrative about Fields and some of the political new guard clashing with the older narrative about Fields. But there certainly is a lot of negativity surrounding Wilson, and to some degree, Lawrence. This QB draft season reeks in the media, frankly, and I don't trust any of it. Lotta personal agendas here.

Two weeks out is when you should stop believing anything said regarding the draft.
It's been going on since Waldman. How's that? About three and a half weeks out. The Fields hype train is leaving the station on Twitter. And Waldman has Lance ahead of Fields, I think, if we must do rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two weeks out is when you should stop believing anything said regarding the draft.
Read everything, believe nothing begins for me February give or take. But, yes, the noise gets especially loud over the final two weeks. The only thing to really take note of regarding the top guys are those in which a media consensus are suddenly quietly sliding down or pushing up boards. 

It's pretty easy to make a Fields over Wilson case, I'm surprised there hasn't been more hot takes from the New York dailies over this.  

With four QBs to choose from, the Jets really, really need to make the right choice here.  

It's pretty easy to make a Fields over Wilson case, I'm surprised there hasn't been more hot takes from the New York dailies over this.  

With four QBs to choose from, the Jets really, really need to make the right choice here.  
The choice is obvious but they seem to have talked themselves out of it.  Not sure how you can even make a Wilson > Fields case. 

There is no case. 

Read everything, believe nothing begins for me February give or take. But, yes, the noise gets especially loud over the final two weeks. The only thing to really take note of regarding the top guys are those in which a media consensus are suddenly quietly sliding down or pushing up boards. 
Such as a couple of prominent receivers dropping out of the top 10.

Chis Simms has Wilson over Lawrence.
IIRC, Simms bases it on a few factors. One, Wilson can complete long passes challenging and striking fear into the cover 2. Two, he can throw passes from different angles,  ala Rodgers. Three, Lawrence had elite talent on offense, including Etienne, and the ACC wasn't all that. He has Lawrence as number 2, and likes him a lot including his height, but has Wilson with a definite advantage. Simms also has Fields #5, behind Jones and Mond.

IIRC, Simms bases it on a few factors. One, Wilson can complete long passes challenging and striking fear into the cover 2. Two, he can throw passes from different angles,  ala Rodgers. Three, Lawrence had elite talent on offense, including Etienne, and the ACC wasn't all that. He has Lawrence as number 2, and likes him a lot including his height, but has Wilson with a definite advantage. Simms also has Fields #5, behind Jones and Mond.
I think he just likes to be contrary for shock value.  To separate himself from "Group Think" to a fault and get YouTube views.

I think he just likes to be contrary for shock value.  To separate himself from "Group Think" to a fault and get YouTube views.
For some positions, like RB, yes. But Simms knows QBs.

He got Herbert over Tua right, for good reasons, in the 2020 draft. And he nailed it for the 2018 draft: Lamar 1, Allen 2, Mayfield 3, Darnold 4, Rosen 5.

He got Herbert over Tua right, for good reasons, in the 2020 draft. And he nailed it for the 2018 draft: Lamar 1, Allen 2, Mayfield 3, Darnold 4, Rosen 5.
Simms going Herbert over Tua was against the grain, but the call that matters is his call of Love over Tua.  

If Tua and Herbert are both good, but Love sucks, that matters more than him picking Herbert over Tua.  

Simms going Herbert over Tua was against the grain, but the call that matters is his call of Love over Tua.  

If Tua and Herbert are both good, but Love sucks, that matters more than him picking Herbert over Tua.  
If you throw enough darts sooner or later you're going to hit something.  I can respect the Herbert pick, but some of his RB rankings are just shock and awe dart throws IMO.  Also, picking Mond as high as he did seems dumb on the surface, but who knows, he might be right about Mond for all I know.  After all, I probably give him more credibility with QBs.

FMIA: Whispers, Rumors And Gut Feelings As Most Unusual NFL Draft Ever (According To Gil Brandt) Nears

Excerpt:

Asked Zach Wilson’s QB coach, John Beck, about Wilson’s fit in the Jets’ offense. “I think it’s a perfect fit. In that offense, there’s Kyle [Shanahan], there’s [Packers coach] Matt LaFleur, there’s [Jets OC] Mike LaFleur, there’s [Rams coach] Sean McVay, and they all recognize what works best in that offense. If I could have hand-picked from the offenses I know well, which one would have fit Zach best, it would absolutely be that one. He brings such a skill set to get out on the edges, to be used in the keeper game, the play-pass game, he can drive balls in very small space off unique platforms as he’s moving.

“From my understanding, the interviews are going really well with teams. The Jets are getting to know Zach as best as they possibly can, outside of being able to do a private workout.”

And about his fit outside of Utah for the first time in his life? Beck: “We’ve talked about that, the culture shock and how different it is. It’s just the reality of the United States. He’s been to New York, as like a tourist. There will be a culture shock, being so far from home. He’s a family kid, grew up in Draper, Utah, went to BYU, very tight with his siblings and his parents, first time he’s away, but it’s a great life experience. He’ll be good with it.”

He needs to stick to QBs.

Will Wilson (or Fields) finally break the Jets QB curse? 

Trying to think of the last great Jets QB.  Pennington had his moments, but “great”? Eh...maybe Vinnie?

Will Wilson (or Fields) finally break the Jets QB curse? 

Trying to think of the last great Jets QB.  Pennington had his moments, but “great”? Eh...maybe Vinnie?
Vinny only had one great season with the Jets. Then he got injured Week 1 the next season. After that he was ok.

Pennington was probably the best QB they’ve had, outside of Namath. It would be hard to call him “great” but was very good. He never missed the playoffs (even when he went to the Dolphins) during any season he played 16 games - health was an issue for him. After he blew out his shoulder, his below average arm was even a bigger issue. He was super smart, super accurate and a great leader. 

Vinny only had one great season with the Jets. Then he got injured Week 1 the next season. After that he was ok.

Pennington was probably the best QB they’ve had, outside of Namath. It would be hard to call him “great” but was very good. He never missed the playoffs (even when he went to the Dolphins) during any season he played 16 games - health was an issue for him. After he blew out his shoulder, his below average arm was even a bigger issue. He was super smart, super accurate and a great leader. 

Yeah, I really liked Pennington. He seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders & the players around him always had good things to say.  He handled what I sometimes saw as overly harsh NY media criticism well also. 

The shoulder injury definitely ruined him. Before that I thought he had potential to be great. 

Pennington was throwing blow-up balloons out there the last years of his tenure with the Jets. I sure hope that doesn't happen with Wilson. There's no more frustrating feeling like watching the other team stack the box and not respect any route more than twenty yards downfield because there's no arm strength at QB.

I hated watching that kind of football. We shall see.

Pennington was throwing blow-up balloons out there the last years of his tenure with the Jets. I sure hope that doesn't happen with Wilson. There's no more frustrating feeling like watching the other team stack the box and not respect any route more than twenty yards downfield because there's no arm strength at QB.

I hated watching that kind of football. We shall see.
Trust in Chris Simms who has Wilson over Lawrence. Wilson will challenge safeties and CBs all over the field, including deep. Explosive plays are important for Simms. Wilson is the anti-Pennington. On video, he reminds me of Rodgers. He can run, but he's looking to make big plays downfield. And the Jets have enough speed at WR to take advantage of Wilson's arm. 

Simms got it right with Mahomes in 2017, Lamar and Allen in 2018 (Darnold was 4th behind Baker), Murray in 2019, and Burrow, Herbert, Love, Tua last year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/kqp0t5/chris_simms_record_with_quarterback_evaluation/

Trust in Chris Simms who has Wilson over Lawrence. Wilson will challenge safeties and CBs all over the field, including deep. Explosive plays are important for Simms. Wilson is the anti-Pennington. On video, he reminds me of Rodgers. He can run, but he's looking to make big plays downfield. And the Jets have enough speed at WR to take advantage of Wilson's arm. 

Simms got it right with Mahomes in 2017, Lamar and Allen in 2018 (Darnold was 4th behind Baker), Murray in 2019, and Burrow, Herbert, Love, Tua last year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/kqp0t5/chris_simms_record_with_quarterback_evaluation/
I was talking about he and Pennington because Wilson has already had surgery on his throwing arm. That scares me right away. He seems to have a stronger arm now than Pennington might ever have had.

Simms' assessment takes a bit off of my mind, but it seems every talent evaluator on Twitter seems to think he's Baker Mayfield, tops. That worries me. Waldman thinks so, too. I'm glad Simms has a great track record and feels that way. Let's see if the proof is in the pudding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread