What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Wilson, DEN (6 Viewers)

How does this guy look so good and then so ****ing bad? Played against miamis defense and it’s a disgrace you can’t even get hall or Wilson down the field to score points?

How does this guy look so good and then so ****ing bad? Played against miamis defense and it’s a disgrace you can’t even get hall or Wilson down the field to score points?
Not a Zach apologist but he was running for his life yesterday - OL was brutal.

Jets HC Robert Saleh said Monday that QB Zach Wilson will be the starter once through the concussion protocol.

If the team’s handling of Wilson’s alleged, then confirmed, concussion is any indicator, this is sure to go off without a hitch. Saleh continues to have the back of his then-backup, now-starter under center through continual critique, something that could eventually cost him his job in the offseason. Wilson will need to clear the league’s five-step concussion protocol in time to suit up against the Commanders on Sunday - that is, unless Aaron Rodgers wants to give it a go.

The Athletic’s Zach Rosenblatt believes Zach Wilson (concussion) “seems unlikely” to play in Week 16 against the Commanders.

Wilson sustained a brain injury last week against the Dolphins and has since entered the NFL’s concussion protocol. With the Jets’ torturous season over, look for Trevor Siemian to get the start against Washington. Rosenblatt doesn’t like Siemian’s chances of getting through an entire game, with his off-target percentage (28.2 percent) being the worst of 56 quarterbacks with at least 35 pass attempts this season. New York’s catastrophic QB situation makes the Washington defense an interesting fantasy option in Week 16, if managers can stomach such a play.

when the jets dump him, which they will, is anyone dumb enough to trade for him? i mean, people traded for mayfield and dobbs and darnold, etc.

when the jets dump him, which they will, is anyone dumb enough to trade for him? i mean, people traded for mayfield and dobbs and darnold, etc.
What the NFL does not have nearly enough of: Good QBs.
What the NFL has way too much of: Coaches and front office executives who overestimate their own abilities to spot/coach up talent.

So yes, someone will trade for him.

What the NFL does not have nearly enough of: Good QBs.
What the NFL has way too much of: Coaches and front office executives who overestimate their own abilities to spot/coach up talent.

So yes, someone will trade for him.
I gave this an unfortunate like. I say unfortunate, not because I disagree, but that I do agree with it. I almost hate recycled bad QBs t as much as I hate recycled bad coaches.

Last edited:
This may only be somewhat important, but just wanted to say I cut him from my dynasty roster today, and his face picture in the email notification is color inverted for some reason. It's horrifying, almost as scary as his numbers, and I'm afraid he may cut me next.

Speaking at the NFL Honors in Las Vegas, Jets owners Woody Johnson said the team needs “a backup quarterback” for the 2024 season.

It’s safe to say Johnson isn’t a Zach Wilson guy. In addition to emphasizing the Jets’ need for a backup, Johnson took things a step further by saying, “We didn’t have [a backup quarterback] last year.” The Jets are almost certain to move on from Wilson, whether via trade or release, as the former No. 2 overall pick has struggled to live up to his loft draft capital. Through 34 NFL games, Wilson has thrown for 6,293 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 25 interceptions while completing a mere 57 percent of his passes. It’s possible a team offers a late Day 3 pick for the soon-to-be reclamation project, but regardless, it’s evident the Jets are eager to improve their backup quarterback situation this offseason.

Speaking at the NFL Honors in Las Vegas, Jets owners Woody Johnson said the team needs “a backup quarterback” for the 2024 season.

It’s safe to say Johnson isn’t a Zach Wilson guy. In addition to emphasizing the Jets’ need for a backup, Johnson took things a step further by saying, “We didn’t have [a backup quarterback] last year.” The Jets are almost certain to move on from Wilson, whether via trade or release, as the former No. 2 overall pick has struggled to live up to his loft draft capital. Through 34 NFL games, Wilson has thrown for 6,293 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 25 interceptions while completing a mere 57 percent of his passes. It’s possible a team offers a late Day 3 pick for the soon-to-be reclamation project, but regardless, it’s evident the Jets are eager to improve their backup quarterback situation this offseason.
nice job Woody - nothing like crapping on a player you are looking to trade in the next few weeks!

nice job Woody - nothing like crapping on a player you are looking to trade in the next few weeks!
Agreed - plus not exactly a good look to say “we didn’t have [a backup quarterback] last year" when he was probably cheerleading Zach last year and no doubt had a lot to do with the team drafting him in the first place.

Jets GM Joe Douglas said Zach Wilson has been given permission to seek a trade.

This comes as no surprise. Jets owner Woody Johnson said the team needed a backup quarterback less than a week ago and reports of a Wilson trade began again toward the end of the 2023 season. Wilson flamed out in New York and struggled when called upon following Aaron Rodgers’ torn Achilles’ tendon in Week 1. Better coaching and a new environment will give him a shot at turning things around next year, though even that feels unlikely at this point. Wilson will only cost a Day Three pick for the team acquiring him. He will likely be put into a camp battle for a backup job once traded.

Jets GM Joe Douglas said Zach Wilson has been given permission to seek a trade.

This comes as no surprise. Jets owner Woody Johnson said the team needed a backup quarterback less than a week ago and reports of a Wilson trade began again toward the end of the 2023 season. Wilson flamed out in New York and struggled when called upon following Aaron Rodgers’ torn Achilles’ tendon in Week 1. Better coaching and a new environment will give him a shot at turning things around next year, though even that feels unlikely at this point. Wilson will only cost a Day Three pick for the team acquiring him. He will likely be put into a camp battle for a backup job once traded.
I'm sure he could find a home in the CFL.

The Jets needed a hero last year when Rodgers went down on the 1st Drive of the season.
He had every opp to come in and save the day, reports surfaced he didn't even want to play on a couple of Sundays, they had to talk him into it

The Jets needed a hero last year when Rodgers went down on the 1st Drive of the season.
He had every opp to come in and save the day, reports surfaced he didn't even want to play on a couple of Sundays, they had to talk him into it

Are there any credible reports of this? It was a narrative, but seemed to come from nowhere.

Are there any credible reports of this? It was a narrative, but seemed to come from nowhere.

Yes, the standard narrative is now exactly that, and I believe it to have come from anonymous sources within the organization so take it as you will. Rodgers got pissed on the air about the leaks within the Jets organization regarding Wilson and his refusal to play. Look, these guys ran a loose ship last year. Really loose. Like almost no accountability. I totally believe the sources rather than these other goofballs that are constantly trying to win PR battles rather than games on the field.

Oh, and Wilson is worth no more than a sixth. They'll be lucky if they get that.

The New York Post’s Brian Costello believes it’s “unlikely” the Jets can get a Day Three draft pick for Zach Wilson.
That Justin Fields was traded to the Steelers for a conditional sixth round pick in the 2025 NFL Draft means there’s no market for Wilson headed into the 2024 draft. Costello said the Jets might have to pair a later round draft pick with Wilson for anyone to take the failed 2021 first rounder off their hands. If no teams express interest in Wilson, the Jets could be forced to release him and absorb a dead-money hit of $11.2 million in 2024. If they trade Wilson, they lower the dead-money cap hit to $5.7 million. Wilson, since the start of the 2021 season, ranks 29th among 29 qualifying quarterbacks in completion rate over expected and drop back success rate. He has 23 touchdowns and 25 interceptions over the span.

The New York Post’s Brian Costello believes it’s “unlikely” the Jets can get a Day Three draft pick for Zach Wilson.
That Justin Fields was traded to the Steelers for a conditional sixth round pick in the 2025 NFL Draft means there’s no market for Wilson headed into the 2024 draft. Costello said the Jets might have to pair a later round draft pick with Wilson for anyone to take the failed 2021 first rounder off their hands. If no teams express interest in Wilson, the Jets could be forced to release him and absorb a dead-money hit of $11.2 million in 2024. If they trade Wilson, they lower the dead-money cap hit to $5.7 million. Wilson, since the start of the 2021 season, ranks 29th among 29 qualifying quarterbacks in completion rate over expected and drop back success rate. He has 23 touchdowns and 25 interceptions over the span.
#2 pick in the entire draft just 3 yrs ago and cant get a 7th rder in 2025 for him....brutal

Some guys just aren't good. It's not his fault the Jet took him #2 overall when he was probably a 4th rounder. Jets doing Jets things.
Jets are an easy target and they’ve had more than their share of blunders, but most teams would have taken him at #2 as well. They just had the misfortune to be picking there - and didn’t have much of an ecosystem to help him progress.

Some guys just aren't good. It's not his fault the Jet took him #2 overall when he was probably a 4th rounder. Jets doing Jets things.
Jets are an easy target and they’ve had more than their share of blunders, but most teams would have taken him at #2 as well. They just had the misfortune to be picking there - and didn’t have much of an ecosystem to help him progress.
Disagree. Plenty of experts thought he was overrated. Below are a couple. I can find more. While some had him as high as even #1, plenty had him as a complete dud. The Jets were on the wrong side of the equation, and dug their own hole...

Matt Waldman ... "I can’t give you an elevator pitch in favor of Wilson as a first- or second-round selection on the sole basis of his talent relative to his colleagues. "

Daniel Kelly who was in the Jets org at one time " 3rd round — and I would NOT select him if I was a GM. He would not even be on my draft board. It would be foolish to take him in the first round. He will get everybody fired. Best chance to succeed is in an offense filled with trick plays."

Last edited:
Daniel Kelly who was in the Jets org at one time " 3rd round — and I would NOT select him if I was a GM. He would not even be on my draft board. It would be foolish to take him in the first round. He will get everybody fired. Best chance to succeed is in an offense filled with trick plays."

Daniel Kelly of First Round Mock is a running joke on Twitter and a whipping boy. He's probably the least important scout to listen to on that platform.

Jets owner Woody Johnson said, “If we don’t trade [Zach Wilson], we’re going to keep him.”
Few trade markets have been down as bad as Wilson’s. The former No. 2 overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft has had his share of documented struggles since joining the pro ranks and wasn’t expected to play in 2023 until Aaron Rodgers’ torn Achilles forced Wilson onto the field just four offensive snaps into the season. Wilson threw for 2271-8-7 in 12 games last season and has a career line of 6293-23-25 in 34 career games. The team granted Wilson permission to seek a trade back in February, but nothing has materialized since then. Assuming he’s on the roster, Wilson would count as a little more than $11.1 million against the cap in 2024.

I think the Jets are taking way too much blame for how Wilson turned out. Its clear he doesn't have it, even more so than Darnold, and I think Wilson should probably be playing this spring. I look at guys like Fields or Howell who got traded for very little, and they are infinitely better QBs than Wilson. I wouldn't trade a single football for him, let alone draft capital.

In my opinion, there wasn't a worse QB than Wilson, that started more than just a game or 2. He had 2 games last season, ironically against playoff teams (KC, Hou) where he looked ok (though Houston just didn't show up for that game in general) but otherwise, continued to show the same issues he's had for 3 seasons, where he can't make tight window throws, he's not accurate, and he has no pocket awareness. The nicest thing I can say, is at least he didn't turn it over too many times.

Probably also needs to be reminded that Wilson has been so bad, that it made people think Mike White was decent, just because he was better than Wilson. It also made them make a big play for Aaron Rodgers, which I for one, am worried is going to be a lot closer to Denver Russell Wilson than Tampa Tom Brady.

I think the Jets are taking way too much blame for how Wilson turned out. Its clear he doesn't have it, even more so than Darnold, and I think Wilson should probably be playing this spring. I look at guys like Fields or Howell who got traded for very little, and they are infinitely better QBs than Wilson. I wouldn't trade a single football for him, let alone draft capital.

In my opinion, there wasn't a worse QB than Wilson, that started more than just a game or 2. He had 2 games last season, ironically against playoff teams (KC, Hou) where he looked ok (though Houston just didn't show up for that game in general) but otherwise, continued to show the same issues he's had for 3 seasons, where he can't make tight window throws, he's not accurate, and he has no pocket awareness. The nicest thing I can say, is at least he didn't turn it over too many times.

Probably also needs to be reminded that Wilson has been so bad, that it made people think Mike White was decent, just because he was better than Wilson. It also made them make a big play for Aaron Rodgers, which I for one, am worried is going to be a lot closer to Denver Russell Wilson than Tampa Tom Brady.
I’ll say this - Wilson looked like a different QB after the knee injury.

Prior to that, he used his mobility a little and showed some escapability & even some moxie throwing on the run. To my eye at least, it looked like there was something there. That preseason prior to injury I recall some football commentators saying he’d showed improvement.

Even on the play he suffered the non-contact injury, it was a busted play, tight coverage, he smartly tucked it & ran around the outside with good vision, and 20+ yards of green grass in front of him. It was a good football play.

After the knee injury I saw nothing resembling competence - he looked like he was wearing cement shoes, he didn’t show any pocket awareness, and looked like he couldn’t read a defense to save his life.

It’s not at all relevant to his current valuation, but for a brief glimmering moment, there was something there.

This is a great move for Wilson... I don't think he will be great, but I still think under the right circumstance he can be serviceable. I think going to Denver and getting a fresh start is good for him, plus he won't have the huge media after him when he doesn't do well.

This is a great move for Wilson... I don't think he will be great, but I still think under the right circumstance he can be serviceable. I think going to Denver and getting a fresh start is good for him, plus he won't have the huge media after him when he doesn't do well.
I'm not sure Wilson ever gets a shot in Denver. Don't see his addition changing their draft plans at all, and its probably 50-50 he'll be ahead of Stidham who has a year in the system.

I'm not sure Wilson ever gets a shot in Denver. Don't see his addition changing their draft plans at all, and its probably 50-50 he'll be ahead of Stidham who has a year in the system.
Can't see him changing their draft plans either but they are so light on draft capital moving up was going to be difficult. As such I think he might get a shot because I don't think Denver will get one of the top 4 QB's, how much of a role he can earn next year might have more to do with if they can get a Nix type later.

If it turns out to be him vs Stidham and a QB they draft outside the top 6, I think he'll have a good shot to see the field.

Good spot for him IMO, other then Minnesota thought it was ideal. Chicago's a better place to drop a rookie sure starter like Caleb, but I like Denver more for Wilson to give him some solid NFL coaching, which he badly needs.

Users who are viewing this thread