What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (1 Viewer)

Brock Purdy or Tom Brady in San Francisco. Who would you pick? 😆
Purdy
49rs have a perfect setup. QB they really wanted still on his rookie deal and Mr Irrelevant now playing like a seasoned vet running the offense extremely well. Why would you pay huge money for that position? Spend it elsewhere. I’d be absolutely shocked if he goes to SF. He makes sense in Miami if Tua retires. I think he goes there or stays in TB

He can only win now with a great offensive line and a great defense. In other words, Trent Dilfer 2.0
Remind me again all the recent SB champions that won with a porous OL and a bad defense? As a for instance, this season PHI was the #1ranked OL by PFF and KC was #4. The Eagles ranked 2nd and the Chiefs ranked 11th defensively (based on yardage).

In Brady's championship seasons, his team's defenses ranked 6th, 1st, 2nd, 8th, 1st, 7th, and 8th in fewest points allowed. I can't find OL rankings that far back, but I don't remember there being huge issues with pass protection. Basically, nothing has changed for Brady . . . he's needed good OL play and strong defenses to win all along. But that's hardly a Tom Brady phenomenon. All QBs need that.

For all the talk about teams needing to have a big offense to win, the Rams last year were the first team to win in 10 years to win the SB without a Top 10 defense.

Per PFF, there were 48 QBs with at least 100 dropbacks this season. Here are some of Brady's rate metrics and ranks within that group:
  • Completion percentage - 65.7%, #17
  • Adjusted completion percentage (aimed passes on target, accounting for drops, throwaways, etc.) - 74.8%, #19 (yes, worse than straight completion percentage)
  • Drop percentage - 5.6%, #29 (i.e., 29th highest percentage of drops)
  • YPA - 6.3, #40
  • ADOT - 7.3, tied for #39-40 with Garoppolo
  • TD percentage - 3.4%, #29
  • Big time throw percentage - 4.3%, tied for #18-22 with Prescott, Tua, Cousins, and Pickett
  • Turnover worthy play percentage - 2.6%, tied for #11-13 with Wilson and Garoppolo
  • Percentage of dropbacks under pressure - 20.0%, #47
  • NFL passer rating - 89.2, tied for #21-22 with Stidham
That is unimpressive to say the least. It suggests that Brady needs a near perfect situation to really excel. Besides SF, what team that might want him has a near perfect situation for a QB to step into? Tampa surely does not.
Not to give you more work to do, but Brady in 2022 seemed pretty similar and not so effective like he did circa 2019 (his last season in NE). I'm curious how these numbers looked back then. PFF's overall grade for Brady this year was 79.7. His overall grade in 2019 was 80.5.
Thanks for the info. I checked znd Tampa's offensive line wascrated 11 overall. As noted earlier by someon
Brock Purdy or Tom Brady in San Francisco. Who would you pick? 😆
Purdy
49rs have a perfect setup. QB they really wanted still on his rookie deal and Mr Irrelevant now playing like a seasoned vet running the offense extremely well. Why would you pay huge money for that position? Spend it elsewhere. I’d be absolutely shocked if he goes to SF. He makes sense in Miami if Tua retires. I think he goes there or stays in TB
I think you right. I don't think Green Bay wants to pay 50mill to Rodgers so I think he will try to hit traded either to Miami, Jets or Raiders. I think those teams would much rather have Rodgers over Brady. Are we sure that Tampa wants him back?

So is the immediate thought that Leftwich being fired is a pro or con for Brady choosing to return to Tampa?
It’s the hire that matters imo. If it’s Bill O Brien I think Brady comes back. Anybody else who isn’t associated with him and it’s shaky ground.

Clickbait. Simple as that.
:rolleyes:

Clickbait, please. PFF has a lot of faults but they’re used by every nfl team and pretty well-respected. They are far from clickbait. Even if they have Brady too high, he’s clearly in the first third of QBs in the league and is still a valuable player.

Man, the Brady haters are out on full force it seems.
Come on man! As if you don't hate on players. And just because people think he's the GOAT doesn't mean everyone is required to like him. He and others like Lebron make it easy to root against them.
I can see why people dont like him.

He`s always in strip joints and getting in fights while drunk.
He beats women.
He`s always in the news for saying crazy crap and disrespecting his coaches and teammates.
He probably strapped with a gun when he goes out with his boyz from his old hood.

He`s a straight up punk
What an idiotic post.

Clickbait, please. PFF has a lot of faults but they’re used by every nfl team and pretty well-respected. They are far from clickbait. Even if they have Brady too high, he’s clearly in the first third of QBs in the league and is still a valuable player.

That explains a lot actually... poor coaching choices, poor player development, annual flow of burned out QBs (not to pick on WAS and IND).

So, you're telling me that right now the Ravens staff is looking at PFF and saying, "Let Lamar walk. We can get Tom Brady. #championship!"

Man, the Brady haters are out on full force it seems.
Come on man! As if you don't hate on players. And just because people think he's the GOAT doesn't mean everyone is required to like him. He and others like Lebron make it easy to root against them.
I can see why people dont like him.

He`s always in strip joints and getting in fights while drunk.
He beats women.
He`s always in the news for saying crazy crap and disrespecting his coaches and teammates.
He probably strapped with a gun when he goes out with his boyz from his old hood.

He`s a straight up punk
What an idiotic post.
One idiotic post deserves another my friend

For all the talk about teams needing to have a big offense to win, the Rams last year were the first team to win in 10 years to win the SB without a Top 10 defense.
And it's not like the Rams had a bad defense with Donald, Wagner, and Ramsay playing at all-pro levels.

BTW, construction continues at Brady's mega-mansion on exclusive Indian Creek just a short swim away from Giselle's mini-mansion on a less exclusive part of Miami Beach. But Brady is unlikely to play for the Dolphins as Tua doctor's and I guess the NFL are leading him to believe that he's not at greater risk to suffer serious brain damage than the typical player. After the concussion in CIN, I heard an interview during which he said that the guys in the trenches are more likely to have serious long-term damage because of repeatedly hitting their heads, without immediate clinical symptoms.

That explains a lot actually... poor coaching choices, poor player development, annual flow of burned out QBs (not to pick on WAS and IND).

So, you're telling me that right now the Ravens staff is looking at PFF and saying, "Let Lamar walk. We can get Tom Brady. #championship!"
To defend PFF a bit, they have always, always been lower on Carson Wentz than the general public, even back to his Eagles years. No team looking at their work, would have ever thought Wentz was answer, even 4-5 years ago.

Truth be told, I think if the Ravens went from Lamar to Brady, they might be a better team in the short term. Probably also need to add a WR or 2, but that's true with Lamar as well.

Side note just about "burned out" veteran players coming off down years I have always felt that there is a value to those players, it just needs to be a marriage of where they are currently at, and them accepting where they are currently at. Somebody like TY Hilton springs to mind, where I think he's still a top-50 WR in the NFL and very capable of being a #2 on many teams, but hold even more value in his Dallas role as a more motivated (and healthier) part timer.

He can only win now with a great offensive line and a great defense. In other words, Trent Dilfer 2.0
Remind me again all the recent SB champions that won with a porous OL and a bad defense? As a for instance, this season PHI was the #1ranked OL by PFF and KC was #4. The Eagles ranked 2nd and the Chiefs ranked 11th defensively (based on yardage).

In Brady's championship seasons, his team's defenses ranked 6th, 1st, 2nd, 8th, 1st, 7th, and 8th in fewest points allowed. I can't find OL rankings that far back, but I don't remember there being huge issues with pass protection. Basically, nothing has changed for Brady . . . he's needed good OL play and strong defenses to win all along. But that's hardly a Tom Brady phenomenon. All QBs need that.

KC is far from a great defense

I agree saying he needs a great O line and a defense to win is simplistic.

He can’t move. His arm strength is down unless he has ample time to really step in to it. He’ll never win another SB. He’s still insane at 45, but he’s washed. I’m not interested where he goes next. It won’t matter. Except some fan base and GM are going to be very disappointed.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Tom Brady isn't expected to re-sign with the Bucs.​

Multiple Bucs players said they don't expect Brady to return with the team following their first-round exit from the playoffs. Retiring at age-45 has always been the plan for Brady but that may have changed based on how his last season in Tampa went. While it wouldn't be surprising if Brady retired, there's a better chance he returns for another year given the quarterback landscape this offseason, with the Raiders and ex-Patriots OC Josh McDaniels expected to make a run at signing him. The 49ers and Tennessee have also been linked as teams that would consider pursuing Brady.
SOURCE: NFL.com
Jan 21, 2023, 9:37 AM ET

Tom Brady has not decided on whether or not he will play in 2023.​

This comes from the "Let's Go!" podcast that includes Brady, Larry Fitzgerald and Jim Gray. When questioned by Gray about his playing future in 2023, Brady responded, "If I knew what I was gonna ******* do, I would've ******* done it." It's an understandable response from Brady, who did the retire/un-retire bit last season, only to see his Bucs go 8-9 and exit in the Wild Card Round of the playoffs in what will likely be his final season with the team. With plenty of teams in the market for a new quarterback in 2023, it would be surprising to see Brady walk away after a down year in Tampa.
Jan 23, 2023, 7:35 PM ET

Tom Brady needs a top 15 defense to win the Super Bowl. He's not going to Miami. Too weak of a defense. Las Vegas also.

These are the list of possible teams:

2San Francisco 49ers17277511010265.03010291389593378920205.91883891321113.477968322625.715.367.78
4Washington Commanders1734351789985.218928630851432522695.81554411926104.4102857072931.57.67.28
5New York Jets17316528810934.8164310347556322015125.41664922068144.2117907072732.38.325.96
6New Orleans Saints17345535210765.014731932253631341775.41594922218144.5122927983834.87.1-30.60
9New England Patriots17347547410915.03011314364596368128195.7194441179374.190896993030.514.255.35
10Tampa Bay Buccaneers17358551310735.12010314364570346129105.61864582052124.5103978632533.010.2-36.51
11Baltimore Ravens17315551310475.32511323394593394720146.22064061566113.991796502635.813.9-32.38
14Pittsburgh Steelers17346561710245.5233314332542377929206.5196442183874.295967172337.313.0-47.10

Last edited:
Tom Brady needs a top 15 defense to win the Super Bowl. He's not going to Miami. Too weak of a defense. Las Vegas also.
The Tampa defense ranked 28th in points allowed and 29th in yardage allowed the season before Brady signed there (and then won the SB). Brady helped the Bucs cut their turnovers from 41 to 17. That dramatically helped the defense. There aren't any teams / situations like that this time around where simply limiting turnovers could change a team's outlook.

As for needing a Top 15 defense to win the SB, that pretty much applies to any other QB as well. This year, the Chiefs are the exception (they rank 16th in points allowed). The three other teams rank in the Top 8.

Just retire.
Oh god you aren’t a Kyle Trask believer are you

Not necessarily. Just ready to move on from Tom. Thanks for the Super Bowl and two great seasons where he cared.

He’s done here, man. The Bucs were a perfect storm for him and his skill set. But, he quit, and his teammates knew it.

Yea man 4-13 sounds great.

Brady quit? Lol that’s a new one. Haven’t seen anybody say that.

Just retire.

Not necessarily. Just ready to move on from Tom. Thanks for the Super Bowl and two great seasons where he cared.

He’s done here, man. The Bucs were a perfect storm for him and his skill set. But, he quit, and his teammates knew it.
Do you have any evidence that Brady quit?

He retired. Changed his mind. Missed two weeks of training camp. Missed walk throughs to attend parties. Then played like garbage on gameday after.

Maybe quit isn’t the right term, but he was certainly checked out, and he was definitely not all in on this season for the Bucs, and his teammates knew it.

Just retire.

An 8-9 season with a cupcake schedule and an embarrassing playoff loss is better? This team is in cap Hell now. Kicking the can for another mediocre year with Old Man Tom is not something I want to endure. Let some other team get caught in that musical chair.

The Bucs need a fresh start.

Just retire.

Do you have any evidence that Brady quit?

He retired. Changed his mind. Missed two weeks of training camp. Missed walk throughs to attend parties. Then played like garbage on gameday after.

Maybe quit isn’t the right term, but he was certainly checked out, and he was definitely not all in on this season for the Bucs, and his teammates knew it.
Stroud had a story today thst Giselle divorced him in training camp (or served him the papers I assumed). That’s why he left. That’s quitting to you?

Just retire.

An 8-9 season with a cupcake schedule and an embarrassing playoff loss is better? This team is in cap Hell now. Kicking the can for another mediocre year with Old Man Tom is not something I want to endure. Let some other team get caught in that musical chair.

No thanks. The Bucs went through 13 years of fresh starts before they got this guy. Every season is different, I’m sure you didn’t see them going from 14 wins to 8 either. Things change fast, keep your good players if you can.

Then played like garbage on gameday after.
PFF’s 7th-ranked QB this year. You can certainly dispute if that’s too high or not, but he wasn’t garbage. You sound jilted by the guy. Bad seasons happen, you don’t throw it all in the trash unless you have to. Short-sighted.

Just retire.

No thanks. The Bucs went through 13 years of fresh starts before they got this guy. Every season is different, I’m sure you didn’t see them going from 14 wins to 8 either. Things change fast, keep your good players if you can.
I didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but once the interior of the line was decimated the writing was on the wall. If Marpet didn't retire and Jensen didn't get hurt maybe it was a different year, but those things did happen. Tom's skillset only seems to work when he has an impenetrable offense line, and we don't have that anymore.

Jilted? No. There's just a lot of smoke that he didn't and doesn't really want to be here. I appreciate what he brought us when he wanted to be here. If he truly wants to be in Tampa then commit. Player's careers are short (typically). Don't retire and then only come back if the HC is removed. Don't flirt with Miami to the point they lost a 1st round pick. Don't take two weeks off no matter what the reason while the rest of the team is grinding. Don't miss walk throughs and then get outplayed by Mitch Trubiskey.

This season was awful.

PFF’s 7th-ranked QB this year. You can certainly dispute if that’s too high or not, but he wasn’t garbage. You sound jilted by the guy. Bad seasons happen, you don’t throw it all in the trash unless you have to. Short-sighted.
Just curious where you got the #7 ranking from. Is that regular season only? Looking at the current PFF list (which includes the playoffs), they have him tied for 12th with Rodgers. Purdy is currently ranked higher than him score wise, but he didn't play many games.

I was referring to that specific game against Pittsburgh where he missed a walk through to attend a party with Robert Kraft. I don't know how they procure their rankings, but we certainly didn't have the 7th best offense. The QB needs to take a little of that blame.

Just retire.

I didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but once the interior of the line was decimated the writing was on the wall. If Marpet didn't retire and Jensen didn't get hurt maybe it was a different year, but those things did happen. Tom's skillset only seems to work when he has an impenetrable offense line, and we don't have that anymore.

Jilted? No. There's just a lot of smoke that he didn't and doesn't really want to be here. I appreciate what he brought us when he wanted to be here. If he truly wants to be in Tampa then commit. Player's careers are short (typically). Don't retire and then only come back if the HC is removed. Don't flirt with Miami to the point they lost a 1st round pick. Don't take two weeks off no matter what the reason while the rest of the team is grinding. Don't miss walk throughs and then get outplayed by Mitch Trubiskey.

This season was awful.
What QB will excel with a Swiss cheese OL, injuries to pretty much all his receivers, and the worst rushing attack in the league (by far)? I agree that the times I watch Tampa, the offense looked out of whack and Brady didn't always seem as focused and engaged as other seasons. Pick any other QB to replace Brady this year, and what would have changed?

Just curious where you got the #7 ranking from. Is that regular season only? Looking at the current PFF list (which includes the playoffs), they have him tied for 12th with Rodgers. Purdy is currently ranked higher than him score wise, but he didn't play many games.
Yea to be fair on that the last time I looked was after week 17. I didn’t know they included playoffs, where he was certainly very bad.

I was referring to that specific game against Pittsburgh where he missed a walk through to attend a party with Robert Kraft. I don't know how they procure their rankings, but we certainly didn't have the 7th best offense. The QB needs to take a little of that blame.
He went to Kraft's wedding. It's not like he and Bob went on a bender and attended a late-night rave. I can attest that Brady missed plenty of practices, walkthroughs, and training camp days when he was in NE, and it made no difference. Tampa lost to PIT by 2 points on the road and had a chance to tie it late but missed a 2-point conversion. It's not like they lost 38-3.

Brady wasn’t great this year by any stretch. But he wasn’t terrible either, and getting a replacement who could be even close to as good as him is almost impossible. They’ll have to reset at some point but I see no reason to expedite that process if the team has a choice.

Brady wasn’t great this year by any stretch. But he wasn’t terrible either, and getting a replacement who could be even close to as good as him is almost impossible. They’ll have to reset at some point but I see no reason to expedite that process if the team has a choice.
You think he's coming back if he plays? I don't see it.

In the people-will-do-anything-for-clicks category, I have seen some media speculation trying to connect some dots to get Brady back to NE.

Apparently, when Leftwich was up for some head coaching opportunities last year, TB12 had Bill O’Brien as his first choice to become OC in Tampa. Leftwich stayed put, so they obviously didn’t bring in BOB.

Now there are some media folks suggesting that NE bringing BOB in as OC gets the Pats in the mix as a Brady landing spot for 2023. I don’t see it, but hot takes make the world go round.

You think he's coming back if he plays? I don't see it.
A few weeks ago I thought Tampa was a lock if he returned. Now I’ll say they are still the favorite but it isn’t clear. Just reading the tea leaves I doubt he wants to go out west so I really don’t know what his options are.

I think when he sees what his options are, he will retire. If I were a team in QB purgatory, not sure I'd want him. His arm looked like jello. His feet were stagnant. This isn't like when he left NE. There's not much in the tank. He hit 45 which was his goal. His best option is likely to be Las Vegas. And really, is that worth it? Time to enjoy the golf course, play with your kids, and find another supermodel to lay around with,

Not as accurate, check, not moving as well in the pocket and clearly more adverse to taking hits, check. Jell-O arm who can't throw anymore? As Dr Evil would say, how bout Nooooo, not at all what I saw. Should he retire? Maybe, but he is still better than most currently playing and if he finds the right situation he can make a good team better. The end is nigh, but like his dad said quite some time ago, they are going to have to drag him off the field (figuratively people). He is a gladiator and I wouldn't want it any other way.

In the people-will-do-anything-for-clicks category, I have seen some media speculation trying to connect some dots to get Brady back to NE.

Apparently, when Leftwich was up for some head coaching opportunities last year, TB12 had Bill O’Brien as his first choice to become OC in Tampa. Leftwich stayed put, so they obviously didn’t bring in BOB.

Now there are some media folks suggesting that NE bringing BOB in as OC gets the Pats in the mix as a Brady landing spot for 2023. I don’t see it, but hot takes make the world go round.

Don't the Patriots already have a QB named Mac Jones?

Maybe Brady should start placekicking. Then he could George Blanda it around for a few more years while tapping Instagram models.

Not as accurate, check, not moving as well in the pocket and clearly more adverse to taking hits, check. Jell-O arm who can't throw anymore? As Dr Evil would say, how bout Nooooo, not at all what I saw. Should he retire? Maybe, but he is still better than most currently playing and if he finds the right situation he can make a good team better. The end is nigh, but like his dad said quite some time ago, they are going to have to drag him off the field (figuratively people). He is a gladiator and I wouldn't want it any other way.
This is all solid rationale reasoning.

I'd just add people are glossing over the human factor of all of this. He might have got served divorce papers in the middle of camp and apparently he lost 15 pounds. Obviously he was going through a lot of stuff and that's significant for someone who relies on their mental ability to such a large degree, especially as the physical ability dwindles.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins are unlikely to pursue Tom Brady in 2023.​

The Dolphins continue to reaffirm their commitment to Tua Tagovailoa, who remains in concussion protocol and has been ruled out for the Pro Bowl. A concussion-filled 2022 has undoubtedly created concern over Tagovailoa's long-term health and playing career, but he threw for a solid 3,548-25-8 in the 13 games he appeared in this season. Brady and the Dolphins have been connected for the last several seasons, but it doesn't appear anything will materialize this time around, even if the soon-to-be 46-year-old quarterback opts to return next season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Jan 29, 2023, 10:34 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread