What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Spencer Rattler, NO (1 Viewer)

Don’t like him. Came into Oklahoma thinking he was Paddy Mahomes with the headband and un-earned swagger. Played more like Paddy LaBelle.
Completely agree. Maybe he's turned a corner and was humbled, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Kurt Benkert
Scouts and Coaches will see Spencer Rattler’s throwing performance at the combine and be really impressed.

His tempo and timing + accuracy was really good.

So often you see guys speed up and slow down their feet to gauge receivers they’ve never thrown to before.

Rattler was dropping back and altering the throw trajectory instead of his feet tempo and that’s not something you see many guys do - esp that young. That’s actually translates to practice, then to games.

It really stood out to me.

He is extremely slow of foot. Even his drop backs were slow. He finished last of QBs in the 40, 3 Cone, broad, and shuttle. He throws a nice ball. That's not enough in the NFL.

He is extremely slow of foot. Even his drop backs were slow. He finished last of QBs in the 40, 3 Cone, broad, and shuttle. He throws a nice ball. That's not enough in the NFL.
Wow he was slower than the likes of Hartman?

Edit - looks like Hartman was actually pretty swift.

I appreciate his attitude in interviews.
He very much seems like he's eaten crow and regrouped. Genuine confidence and not arrogant garbage.

PFF College
Spencer Rattler airing it out at the South Carolina pro day🚀🚀

Peter Burns
As good as Rattler looked the NFL combine, he looked even better today at Pro Day

Everything was tight, ball zipped out his hand & had total control of the day.

Kid is a leader & someone is going to get a damn good QB

Also, holy hell Xavier Legette is a beast.

Stood out today

I am happy for him that he's widely considered a day three pick now.

He's had a tough road being the top QB in recruiting then w Caleb and Riley at OU and...it'll be nice to just be a guy for a change I'm sure.

All 32 should draft him. Ya don't get a five star QB on day three. Let him learn from a veteran and whatever tricks coaches know to work on the mental aspect. That virtual reality game simulator seems great. Just sit n learn, sit n learn

He's had a tough road being the top QB in recruiting then w Caleb and Riley at OU and...it'll be nice to just be a guy for a change I'm sure.

All 32 should draft him. Ya don't get a five star QB on day three. Let him learn from a veteran and whatever tricks coaches know to work on the mental aspect. That virtual reality game simulator seems great. Just sit n learn, sit n learn
Well said & I can see that potential.
Would you equate him more as Jordan Love type sitting behind elite QB or more of a Mitch Trubisky sitting behind mediocre talent (until now in Buff)?
I think he needs to mature in a good locker room with quality mentor or he will never reach potential.

While he’s not the best QB in this draft, from a risk/reward scenario, coupled with anticipated draft position, makes him my favorite prospect in this class.

Rattler could legitimately be a third round pick, and I think he ends up being a really good NFL starter. He’ll have a better career then at least one, if not more, then the four going at the top of round 1.

Reactions: Bri

Well said & I can see that potential.
Would you equate him more as Jordan Love type sitting behind elite QB or more of a Mitch Trubisky sitting behind mediocre talent (until now in Buff)?
I think he needs to mature in a good locker room with quality mentor or he will never reach potential.
I'm never right on drafted QBs prospects. I'm good once they've played and I see em in the NFL but times like today, I'm not very good at.

Love was significantly better than Rattler and more ready to play- although he didn't.
Trubisky doesn't seem to learn. He says the right things but what I see on the TV is not someone adjusting and growing. He still looks like the guy on the Bears. Someday he might grow up and be a better QB- ability is there- but he's got the same self reflection issues many ordinary people struggle with.

Rattler seems to have his head on perfectly right now. I said it earlier and have seen more interviews since and ooh I just love it. Ya gotta imagine he was supposedly better than Caleb and "everyone" said so. There was a gap, but he was gonna follow the Heisman winners and be the next one at OU. He had such a lofty ceiling and fall from it. He definitely remade himself at South Carolina.

Levis was an arrogant tool (like so many at 19) at Penn State. I liked his crow eating change too.

Idk how long it'll take. You'll know though. It'll be like Levis- everyone reporting he threw an INT and dopey throw here n there, then it'll be wow he was lights out today. We're never lacking QB updates

I don't think everyone likes the mobile types as much as the pocket types.
I've been noticing this since Lamar.

Some haven't gone way low on Rattler and still hold him in high regard.

Idk what Tice's view is other than 5, but I've heard day three on radio and TV and seen it on X. Owners meetings will bring chatter so will ramped up predraft hype. He could rise. I just totally see a great developmental project and not an "I'm ready now" guy so I don't think he'll rise too much

Rattler seems to have his head on perfectly right now. I said it earlier and have seen more interviews since and ooh I just love it. Ya gotta imagine he was supposedly better than Caleb and "everyone" said so. There was a gap, but he was gonna follow the Heisman winners and be the next one at OU. He had such a lofty ceiling and fall from it. He definitely remade himself at South Carolina.

Levis was an arrogant tool (like so many at 19) at Penn State. I liked his crow eating change too.

Idk how long it'll take. You'll know though. It'll be like Levis- everyone reporting he threw an INT and dopey throw here n there, then it'll be wow he was lights out today. We're never lacking QB updates

THANKS! I have seen "the Rattler maturity" as well. It was mostly self-imposed issues that he took to heart to resolve. I still some development needs, many scouts or draftniks call "gaps" or cons, but he appears to be improving every time he goes out there.

I have him QB 5 (ahead of Penix due to his extensive injury concerns). Might be a 1Q 3rd round dart throw.

He was a joy to listen to on Sirius.
He gets the compliments everyone gets then they always go into criticism.
Rich Gannon was a bit harsh saying he watched games where he's outstanding and the next game he was like what's going on.

He replied thanking him and I've always loved that move to criticism. Then he explained they lost 8-9 players and were starting young OL, played the toughest schedule, and he leaves every game with things he can always improve upon.
Which game?
Forget answer
He explains he made this mistake that mistake and...we won. One of the things he's tried to work on was finding success when a play breaks down or the line doesn't hold up and he thinks he's a lot better with that. He has trouble when former players critique his wins then. They should know what a 80+% pressure rate is like and how difficult it is to win but at the same time he welcomes all criticism and it's a privilege to hear from them.

He was so honest and transparent and most of the win talk was "we" "my team" "all of us" etc like a leader says.

Senior Bowl MVP and that was his goal but he had a hard time building relationships only being there a week and ya can't lead without a relationship.

Others not playing- I can't understand not taking an opportunity to prove you're one of the best and I don't want to criticize anyone individually.

Talked OU and Riley and going in 2021 draft.

Later Kirwan is saying he's maybe the best developmental project in NFL history. Good head, great attitude, and five star with all the tools. It's a dream come true for GMs to have a player like that later in the draft but dreams don't come true, well can't count on them, so he's sees the late rankings but someone will take him earlier. ....loves him as a day three pick but has his doubts if he's day two.

Later discussing comp picks and how some GMs view them as freebies or extras- with that mindset, those guys take swings take chances on players. He'll be a late third. He's the calculated risk guy.

Would love for him to go to the Rams as the heir apparent. Would be a great spot for him and give him the time to keep growing.

Man I don't see it. I really liked Rattler early in college. But he never got better. He looked dreadful at the combine. And by dreadful I mean completely un-draftable.

Man I don't see it. I really liked Rattler early in college. But he never got better. He looked dreadful at the combine. And by dreadful I mean completely un-draftable.
PFF College

Peter Burns
As good as Rattler looked the NFL combine, he looked even better today at Pro Day

Stood out today
Ok. :shrug:

Kurt Benkert
Scouts and Coaches will see Spencer Rattler’s throwing performance at the combine and be really impressed.

His tempo and timing + accuracy was really good.

So often you see guys speed up and slow down their feet to gauge receivers they’ve never thrown to before.

Rattler was dropping back and altering the throw trajectory instead of his feet tempo and that’s not something you see many guys do - esp that young. That’s actually translates to practice, then to games.

It really stood out to me.
@Brunell4MVP

I thought he was the best of anyone I saw there. Better than McCarthy.

Outplayed Nix and Penix at the Senior Bowl too.

Last edited:
Rattler has really risen the last couple weeks. I guess we'll find out if that's sincere or just talk.

Love love him as a project.

As a play soon guy, ya gotta fix his head where it takes being burned 2-3 times before he learns- that loses games. Young QB mistakes are fine but only if the learning is evident.

Physically....ya see the former five star prospect rating. No one's saying he can't make all the throws or typical draft criticism.

PFF College

Peter Burns

Stood out today
Ok. :shrug:

I can pull up all kinds of articles with my same viewpoint as well. There's no shortage of opposing viewpoints this time of year.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/news/spencer-rattler-underwhelms-at-nfl-combine/

I go by the eye test, I watched the entire QB part of the combine. I played QB in HS so while no expert I have at least had to do it. And I thought he looked bad. I also had big hopes for Pratt. I thought he would shine, which he did at Sr Bowl. But at combine he looked worse than Rattler. I find pro days boring. So scheduled. Look at the game tape mostly, then see how they do when just a touch out of their element.

Quite a steal for the Saints. I realize I’m an outlier fan of Rattler, but there is definitely a path to playing time here. Carr was abysmal last year.

Reactions: Bri
Love this spot for him. No pressure for now and Carr seems to be almost locked in through 2026. That cap hit of $61 million seems :loco:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Rattler will have a better pro career than at least of half the QBs drafted ahead of him.

Carr is straight average. The Saints are not good and will not make the playoffs.

Rattler will be their starter, sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread