What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Howell, SEA (1 Viewer)

That last TD throw to Brown was a eye catcher. Had to watch it a few times in admiration as he fit it in a very tight window over two outstretched defenders.

Kid has moxie and arm talent. After 11 starts, he has the look of a franchise QB in the making.

In early 2021, we all thought Sammy would be the best quarterback in the 2022 class.

Then the league had a collective brain fart on draft day.

Now, it's obvious that he is markedly better than all the QBs drafted before him. And the only other quarterback that might be as good was taken with the last pick of the draft.

In early 2021, we all thought Sammy would be the best quarterback in the 2022 class.

Then the league had a collective brain fart on draft day.

Now, it's obvious that he is markedly better than all the QBs drafted before him. And the only other quarterback that might be as good was taken with the last pick of the draft.

It was an exceedingly weak QB draft... the first QB was drafted at pick 20 and the second QB wasn't drafted until pick 74. I'm not saying you are wrong, but it turns out that was a low bar.

Have to think that’s the end of his time as a starting QB unless via injury or some kind of renaissance down the road. At least he can be a cheap backup for the new coaching regime.

He's on his rookie deal, so it's very likely he'll be on the Roster going into 2024. He's cheap, and has plenty of valuable 'live bullet' experience.

He also has some NFL-caliber tools, and a gunslinger mentality, and his decline isn't entirely his fault. He has no protection whatsoever.

This is a bad team, with a lot of holes, that needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. In particular, the offensive line is just that. Offensive. Hot garbage. No rookie qb is going to come in and lead this team anywhere in 2024, so the rookie might as well learn by osmosis. Howell can serve as a fine bridge QB, I'd imagine. He's also a gamer, and he will definitely compete with a Rookie in the offseason, if given the opportunity. Competition helps everybody.

This team is a dumpster fire. I saw a lot of good things outta Howell until the front office sent the message loud and clear to this team to pack it in.

Howell was getting killed back there. Not all on him.....not in the least.

Agreed with the last two posts. Howell seems like a great buy low candidate this offseason for a team like the Raiders or Broncos who are way more ready to groom and support a young QB right now than are the Commandos.

Last edited:
Yeah TBC I don’t think we’ve seen the last of him. I just think Washington’s bad enough to get a close to premium qb and he becomes a rich man’s minshew I expect to resurface eventually and be a priority add when he does but probably won’t want to lock up a roster spot waiting for

Yeah TBC I don’t think we’ve seen the last of him. I just think Washington’s bad enough to get a close to premium qb and he becomes a rich man’s minshew I expect to resurface eventually and be a priority add when he does but probably won’t want to lock up a roster spot waiting for
I think that’s fair and Minshew is a decent comparison IMO. Howell is still probably good enough to start for at least a few teams, but for the balance of his rookie contract, he’s a cheap commodity for the Commanders as a backup when decent backups are hard to find.

Of course all bets are off with a new coaching regime. Not out of the realm of possibility that the new regime keeps Brissett as the backup and tries to shop Howell to another team.

Misnhew is one of the better comparisons I've seen. I think that's about right. Capable of starting, good arm, but will make mistakes.

I think everything depends on wheterh Caleb or Drake is available when they pick. If so they take one of them. If those two are gone, the pick isn't all that tradable anymore. No body is giving up a boatload for MHJr or OL. In which case WAS is likely to stay put and take Fashanu or Alt. Then take say Bo Nix or JJ McCarthy in round 2.

I don't see Brissett re-signing here. He's a mid level starter elsewhere ... like PIT. So if they go OL in round 1, it's likely Howell is starting next year. And will be doing so behind an OL that Ron ignored for 5 years.

Of all Ron's problems, talent evaluation was #1 problem the last few years. A few guys broke out from the bottom of the draft, but that's mostly because they missed so much in FA and at the top of the draft. Howell is right there in that discussion. Along with guys like St Juste. They start because the team is devoid of round 1 and 2 talent.

Misnhew is one of the better comparisons I've seen. I think that's about right. Capable of starting, good arm, but will make mistakes.

I think everything depends on wheterh Caleb or Drake is available when they pick. If so they take one of them. If those two are gone, the pick isn't all that tradable anymore. No body is giving up a boatload for MHJr or OL. In which case WAS is likely to stay put and take Fashanu or Alt. Then take say Bo Nix or JJ McCarthy in round 2.

I don't see Brissett re-signing here. He's a mid level starter elsewhere ... like PIT. So if they go OL in round 1, it's likely Howell is starting next year. And will be doing so behind an OL that Ron ignored for 5 years.

Of all Ron's problems, talent evaluation was #1 problem the last few years. A few guys broke out from the bottom of the draft, but that's mostly because they missed so much in FA and at the top of the draft. Howell is right there in that discussion. Along with guys like St Juste. They start because the team is devoid of round 1 and 2 talent.
Caleb and Drake will go 1 & 2, don't see any way that doesn't happen. Would also be pretty shocked if Howell was starter opening day next year. A lot of changes are coming, will be a fresh start one way or another.

I would be very surprised if Nix and/or McCarthy are available at Washington's round 2 draft pick. Also very surprised if Brissett is signed to start for any team next season.

I would be very surprised if Nix and/or McCarthy are available at Washington's round 2 draft pick. Also very surprised if Brissett is signed to start for any team next season.
Agree he won't be signed as a starter. But he can likley find a situation where he competes for a starting job. Or be a backup for a better team. For instance, the NYJ would be a playoff team right now if they had a better backup for Rodgers.

I’d expect Brissett to be signed to compete for a starting role, and/or maybe be a bridge-year QB for a team next year.

He’s better than 1/3 of the guys in the league right now, at least.

I’d expect Brissett to be signed to compete for a starting role, and/or maybe be a bridge-year QB for a team next year.

As a NC State alum, I like Brissett and am happy that he has made a nice NFL career for himself. But he's not good by NFL standards. He looked good in relief in the past couple weeks, but his career passer rating ranks #28 among active players, and his career record is 18-30. He is 31 and has attempted 1600 NFL passes... he is a known quantity. He will sign somewhere as a backup, but I don't believe any team will offer him a chance to truly compete to start, unless it is only to man the job until a rookie QB is ready to take over.

As a NC State alum, I like Brissett and am happy that he has made a nice NFL career for himself. But he's not good by NFL standards. He looked good in relief in the past couple weeks, but his career passer rating ranks #28 among active players, and his career record is 18-30. He is 31 and has attempted 1600 NFL passes... he is a known quantity. He will sign somewhere as a backup, but I don't believe any team will offer him a chance to truly compete to start, unless it is only to man the job until a rookie QB is ready to take over.
Isn't that what it always is for a 30+ year old journeyman? All of them are trying to find 1-2 year contracts to extend their shelf-life. And if they can start for a bit and make a decent showing while the younger guy comes along, then they are all the more likely to get another 1-2 year contract. Brissett earned 12x more than Howell this year and got sacked 60 less times to do it Quite the deal to simply be the adult in the room.

Back to the thread topic that I guess I steered us away from, Howell will be with WAS next year. Whether there is another QB in town depends on the draft. There's no reason to sign a vet.

Isn't that what it always is for a 30+ year old journeyman? All of them are trying to find 1-2 year contracts to extend their shelf-life. And if they can start for a bit and make a decent showing while the younger guy comes along, then they are all the more likely to get another 1-2 year contract. Brissett earned 12x more than Howell this year and got sacked 60 less times to do it Quite the deal to simply be the adult in the room.

Back to the thread topic that I guess I steered us away from, Howell will be with WAS next year. Whether there is another QB in town depends on the draft. There's no reason to sign a vet.
I’m hoping his end of year collapse is attributed to poor OL play & not Howell not being able to do the job.

I really need that dude to start next year. 😬

unless it is only to man the job until a rookie QB is ready to take over.
Which is exactly what I suggested would happen. lol

That was one of two scenarios you presented. I agreed with the one that represents a temporary role and disagreed with the other one (compete for a starting job).
Man, I didn't realize he was 31 already. Seems like just yesterday he was running around Carter-Finley. I do NOT miss those Matt Canada days...

That was one of two scenarios you presented. I agreed with the one that represents a temporary role and disagreed with the other one (compete for a starting job).
Man, I didn't realize he was 31 already. Seems like just yesterday he was running around Carter-Finley. I do NOT miss those Matt Canada days...
Howell is 23 :)

Agree he won't be signed as a starter. But he can likley find a situation where he competes for a starting job. Or be a backup for a better team. For instance, the NYJ would be a playoff team right now if they had a better backup for Rodgers.
No one was going to do anything behind that OL in NY. Nope.

I believe they’re talking about Brissett.

I believe they’re talking about Brissett.
I know.

Thought I was good for years to come in Superflex Dynasty with my QB's Fields, Tua, and Howell. Not sure what I have now.

He was awful last game.

I don't get why everyone is so hypercritical of he and Ridder in their first years starting.
He's 3600 with a 1:1 ratio. That's fine.
He had good and bad moments. That's expected.

Bryce Young isn't going to be a great pro anymore too right?
I have no doubt Ridder fumbles his plate in the food line or that Howell walks right past McLaurin without noticing he's there to say hello to.

We used to have some understanding of first year players. Eli shut alot of us up, for sure, but there were plenty others too.

Now it's like "this rookie is bad" and there's a narrative that develops and we only mention facts that support that. It's weird and I'd guess social media to blame.

Do ya know Levis is considered on his way to being special but he only has four TDs in his last seven games? Most people don't because he opened with a killer four TD game so that positive narrative took hold.

Every single one of these guys has a bad OL. Panthers n Falcons should have been good but I had low expectations for the other two.

Howell has a fine receiving corps except when it matters most. McLaurin still struggles against the ones and the rest more pop up n show themselves than do anything with reliability. They need someone that's nails in third down in a big big way.

Reich's offense was pathetic as all they had was Theilen but since, it's about the same description as the Commanders.

Malik Willis has like five starts but he's supposedly done.
Cunningham switched teams and suddenly he's not only a QB but a good one?

Telling ya, fans are half crazy with first year QBs this year.

Magic Johnson has widely been presumed to be a BS detector for Washington. I don't care the difference in sports. I have no doubt he can sit in some sort of season ending exit interviews and glean some things about character or game intelligence or whatever that we may not.
Don't forget Ron Rivera starts a new QB every time he gets a new pair of shoes either. He has never been about QB development but striking down their fragile ego to maybe build it up later. That old school coaching technique doesn't work on QBs so....let Magic listen n say what he interprets. There's enough football people for all the obvious stuff.

The other rookie Aiden....well let's see when/if Tom Brady gets any more involved as an owner. Will he send him/recommend to work with that coach or that trainer? Will he spend any time going over film with him?

Wrapping this novel up- I'll say again, Hooker was my fave QB in the draft- ability and value and y'all were going to beat up on rookies anyway so why does it matter if he sits? I can't wait for him to supposedly be awful if he subs in next year....

Howell has a fine receiving corps except when it matters most. McLaurin still struggles against the ones and the rest more pop up n show themselves than do anything with reliability. They need someone that's nails in third down in a big big way.

There's a part of me that would like to see Malik Nabers, MJ3 or a stud TE in Rd 1. McLaurin is not a true #1. He's not the fastest nor the biggest guy. He runs good routes and has great hands. But he can't really dominate a game. He is another guy that has shined because they missed on Rd 1/2 WRs. Dotson being the obvious. They could have taken Olave at their original draft position, and he has 84/1067 so far this year. That would have been a good 1 2 punch with Olave and McLaurin. I still think Nabers is in play for this team if they decide to trade down a few spots. A guy like that can transform an offense.

Reactions: Bri
This team is a dumpster fire. I saw a lot of good things outta Howell until the front office sent the message loud and clear to this team to pack it in.

Howell was getting killed back there. Not all on him.....not in the least.
It's not all on him, but he reads the field too slow and holds the ball too long so it's on him some.

I don't think he's the guy. Unless he gets an Adderall prescription or something. He's just not processing quickly enough to play QB at a high level consistently.

There's a part of me that would like to see Malik Nabers, MJ3 or a stud TE in Rd 1. McLaurin is not a true #1. He's not the fastest nor the biggest guy. He runs good routes and has great hands. But he can't really dominate a game. He is another guy that has shined because they missed on Rd 1/2 WRs. Dotson being the obvious. They could have taken Olave at their original draft position, and he has 84/1067 so far this year. That would have been a good 1 2 punch with Olave and McLaurin. I still think Nabers is in play for this team if they decide to trade down a few spots. A guy like that can transform an offense.
I completely disagree. McLaurin is constantly underrated. He's inconsistent because he's had a horde of not-NFL QBs throwing to him his whole career. Guy was wide open a ton this season and Sam didn't read it. There is a reason McLaurin had huge games when Sam got benched.

Sam isn't a complete NFL QB and probably can't be. It's mental. He just doesn't recognize at a pro level and he showed zero improvement at that this year. It sucks because I would've loved for him to work out. But he is not him IMO and it is known.

I completely disagree. McLaurin is constantly underrated. He's inconsistent because he's had a horde of not-NFL QBs throwing to him his whole career. Guy was wide open a ton this season and Sam didn't read it. There is a reason McLaurin had huge games when Sam got benched.

Sam isn't a complete NFL QB and probably can't be. It's mental. He just doesn't recognize at a pro level and he showed zero improvement at that this year. It sucks because I would've loved for him to work out. But he is not him IMO and it is known.
He missed one game.
He played one last year.

I thought Howell played well today, other than the picks, against a tough Niners defense. He wasn’t great, but that OL failed him. He had some moments.

I disagree. Adding another skill position player won't transform their offense until they have a better offensive line. And offense is less of a problem than defense which needs LB's, DE's, and DB's. And coaching.

Listen, the o-lineb is definitely sub-par but that is only half of the equation. The other half is Sam's processing speed being below standard for an NFL QB.

Sam would probably look decent behind a top 5 pass blocking unit, by anything less than that he'll be hurried, hit, and sacked too much.

I don't think this is fixable for Sam, and I don't think the Manders can get a top 5 pass blocking unit next year, and even the following year (unless they intensely focused on doing that and ignored all the other numerous holes on the team).

Ultimately, replacing the QB with one that processes faster is a simpler solution.

I am torn. I see what people say about him maybe not processing fast enough...but that's also tied to having one of the worst lines in football. The strark contrast between our line and the Niners was like night and day. That TD pass to Aiyuk, Purdy had what, almost 8-10 full seconds to throw the ball? Sam is lucky to get 2-3 seconds per drop back. Pressure is constant. I'm just not sure ANY young QB could do well in our system and with this line. So while I'm now back and forth on passing on a QB, I am sure EB is not the answer. I just don't see creativity in his calling. He doesn't seem to adjust. We will benefit greatfly from a new coaching staff. I won't scream at the TV if we take a QB but I still wish we would trade down, get Bowers or a top 3 OL, and then take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to compete with Sam. Just think how much Lawrence improved after his rookie year when he got a real coach. That REALLY matters. I think Sam had an awful line and coaching staff this year, and he was doomed to fail because of it.

I am torn. I see what people say about him maybe not processing fast enough...but that's also tied to having one of the worst lines in football. The strark contrast between our line and the Niners was like night and day. That TD pass to Aiyuk, Purdy had what, almost 8-10 full seconds to throw the ball? Sam is lucky to get 2-3 seconds per drop back. Pressure is constant. I'm just not sure ANY young QB could do well in our system and with this line. So while I'm now back and forth on passing on a QB, I am sure EB is not the answer. I just don't see creativity in his calling. He doesn't seem to adjust. We will benefit greatfly from a new coaching staff. I won't scream at the TV if we take a QB but I still wish we would trade down, get Bowers or a top 3 OL, and then take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to compete with Sam. Just think how much Lawrence improved after his rookie year when he got a real coach. That REALLY matters. I think Sam had an awful line and coaching staff this year, and he was doomed to fail because of it.
Yeah I agree that we need to move on from EB too.

Clean slate imo

I see everyone on Twitter is sort of kicking off draft season hard this weekend. My team stinks so let's look for hope- I totally get that.

On Twitter and in this very thread, I can't believe the harsh negative criticism.

(It's gonna be) 4000 yards and a 1:1 ratio for his first season. That is better than most every HOF QBs first year and by a whole lot of their year twos also.

"The masses" have them drafting a QB at pick two.

That will be the dumbest pick in NFL history since the rookie is oh so likely to not better Howell's stats his own first year.

It won't happen as is- he's traded or they trade the pick or draft junior or a tackle or...idk but I'd bet $ that the Commanders do NOT draft a QB with the second pick

I see everyone on Twitter is sort of kicking off draft season hard this weekend. My team stinks so let's look for hope- I totally get that.

On Twitter and in this very thread, I can't believe the harsh negative criticism.

(It's gonna be) 4000 yards and a 1:1 ratio for his first season. That is better than most every HOF QBs first year and by a whole lot of their year twos also.

"The masses" have them drafting a QB at pick two.

That will be the dumbest pick in NFL history since the rookie is oh so likely to not better Howell's stats his own first year.

It won't happen as is- he's traded or they trade the pick or draft junior or a tackle or...idk but I'd bet $ that the Commanders do NOT draft a QB with the second pick
I hope you are right but I think its definitely possible. I think the best move is trade down, someone will pay a kings ransom for this 1.2 pick. We have a lot of holes to fill, and a trade down along with the extra 2nd and 3rd we already possess would go a long way in going from worst to first next year :)

Reactions: Bri

Users who are viewing this thread