What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Howell, SEA (2 Viewers)

Chalk me up as an idiot. Cause as a WAS fan I never would have shipped him out of here for a mediocre pick swap. I think he was worth more than that as a quality backup. Hate to see him go. The WAS brain trust obviously 1) didn't want two young QBs on the roster and 2) doesn't think much of Howell or they would have never shipped him outta here. I'd rather have Howell than Mariotta. I think this may bite them if Maye/Daniels takes a long time to get started because Mariotta sucks. WAS radio talking about it like a win. Not IMO
New staff. You would like to think they would salvage as much of the roster pass possible, but usually they toss everything
I wonder if there was something about drafting Maye (Howell's good friend and former UNC teammate) and not wanting to rock that boat. Sounds stupid to me, but I can't think of better logic.

If ANYONE watched football the last 2 years and came away thinking Mariota>Howell, then their logic is out to lunch.

Howell is better, younger, and cheaper.

I’m wondering if this is any indication on who WAS will pick in the draft. Howell went to UNC where he and Drake Maye were teammates. Adios to Howell in order to give Maye a clean slate while only listening to the seasoned vet (Marietta), OC & QBC? No outside distraction from a past teammate/buddy? Just spitballin’….

I think it was more of a trade that says ... "we aren't going to use you, so we will send you to someone that might". Howell should be extremely happy about this.

SEA should be happy too. They can see what he has in camp and pre-season. He might beat out Geno. Or he may end up a career backup. Either way SEA can cheaply evaluate him.

"Corey Buschlen
@FootballStock

Sam Howell: 3.5 months younger than Michael Penix
7 months younger than Bo Nix
Born the same month and year as Spencer Rattler
2.5 months older than Jayden Daniels

Had 26 Total TDs despite playing behind the worst line in football as a 22 year old first year starter

Pete Carrol once did an interview praising his toughness and arm talent Howell is going to have long term value behind a shaky starter like Geno (who this staff may not love as much as Pete)

3rd and a 5th for a 4th is not nothing."

My words not his: Washington trades him mostly to avoid any hint of QB controversy in the coming season.

I’m wondering if this is any indication on who WAS will pick in the draft. Howell went to UNC where he and Drake Maye were teammates. Adios to Howell in order to give Maye a clean slate while only listening to the seasoned vet (Marietta), OC & QBC? No outside distraction from a past teammate/buddy? Just spitballin’….
That's my guess and would explain why they essentially just gave Howell away...

Great move by the Seahawks. Although it may not be likely, I would not be shocked if Howell had a better career than the top 4 rookie QBs in this draft. And the Hawks got him for nothing. The Seahawks are sharks.

Of all the starting QBs, Geno Smith is not one of the more difficult to beat out for a job.

I don’t mind the landing spot at all.

No idea what WAS was thinking. Howell is a cheap backup.

I like how Seattle came out a couple hours later to explicitly say that it wasn’t a QB competition. Which kinda says the opposite. Like, if you have to say it…

"Corey Buschlen
@FootballStock

Sam Howell: 3.5 months younger than Michael Penix
7 months younger than Bo Nix
Born the same month and year as Spencer Rattler
2.5 months older than Jayden Daniels

Had 26 Total TDs despite playing behind the worst line in football as a 22 year old first year starter

Pete Carrol once did an interview praising his toughness and arm talent Howell is going to have long term value behind a shaky starter like Geno (who this staff may not love as much as Pete)

3rd and a 5th for a 4th is not nothing."

My words not his: Washington trades him mostly to avoid any hint of QB controversy in the coming season.
As to the quoted part:

Agree about the age being a nice selling point, but the idea that Washington had the worst line in football is 100% fiction. Its funny how OLs get rated. I think you could ask every non Eagles or Lions fan base and at least half would argue they have one of the worst OLs.

Washington had an above average OL last season. Probably in the 10-15 range. Its not like they were the Giants. I like the Howell trade a lot, but Howell was the most sacked QB in the NFL because of Sam Howell, and Eric Bienemy.

I do agree with you that they are likely avoiding a QB controversy, however, I'm firmly of the mind QB controversies aren't necessarily bad. Often the better player steps up and earns the job.

Having said that, I do mostly like what Washington is doing so far this offseason, they just need to hit on that #2 pick.

If ANYONE watched football the last 2 years and came away thinking Mariota>Howell, then their logic is out to lunch.

Agreed. Howell is a young QB who played a year on a terrible team. Mariota is a terrible QB who has played his way off multiple teams.

Bad trade by Washington.

I don't think it's an indication of who they'll draft at 1.02, just that they're dead certain to draft a QB there. Having a rookie who's heavily invested in in the same QB room as an equally young QB with a year of NFL experience in the same room would be tough on both of them.

It also says they're starting the rookie. If Mariota starts they'll find out quick enough why that is a bad idea.

Maybe someone already wrote this out but just to be clear

Howell plus '24 Draft Picks 102 and 179

and Seattle sends back #78 and #152

-So Washington sends their current starting QB, I understand they pick #2 and likely take a QB but still they sent their starter last 2 seasons and basically all they do is move from 102 up to 78 and then from 179 to 152? And Seattle has a QB on a rookie contract for 2 more seasons to look at behind Geno Smith?

Thats seems like an incredible deal for Seattle and they are tied to Geno in 2024, he carries a dead cap hit of almost $40M, that drops to like $13m in '25 and that can be cut further or spread over a couple seasons so they are taking precautions in case they want to part with Smith as early as next season.

Maybe this also ignites a fire under Smith and he plays really well with a lot of talent at WR, Win-Win for Seattle IMHO, although I understand Washington needed to trade before the Draft and likely took whatever they could get. This is going to put a lot of pressure on the rookie QB, expected to start Week 1, not always the recipe for success. Mariota may very well see time

Chalk me up as an idiot. Cause as a WAS fan I never would have shipped him out of here for a mediocre pick swap. I think he was worth more than that as a quality backup. Hate to see him go. The WAS brain trust obviously 1) didn't want two young QBs on the roster and 2) doesn't think much of Howell or they would have never shipped him outta here. I'd rather have Howell than Mariotta. I think this may bite them if Maye/Daniels takes a long time to get started because Mariotta sucks. WAS radio talking about it like a win. Not IMO
New staff. You would like to think they would salvage as much of the roster pass possible, but usually they toss everything
I wonder if there was something about drafting Maye (Howell's good friend and former UNC teammate) and not wanting to rock that boat. Sounds stupid to me, but I can't think of better logic.

Could be. Although the speculation seems to be growing about Jayden Daniels being the pick.
The idea of just generally removing a potential QB controversy does make some sense. Well, if we just ignore all the teams that desperately could have used a serviceable back-up QB last year.

Trading Howell away does make some sense. Just not trading him for nothing.

I very much appreciate Washington doing Howell a solid here.

While I'm sad we didn't keep Howell, I do think this is one of those trades that could be a win for both teams. 78th pick in this draft is a valuable asset, and Seattle gets a very good young player with a cheap contract.

Yep, congrats Seattle you fleeced us for a very good young QB. NO ONE would have had success behind that awful o-line and awful OC last year. I think he will beat out Geno sooner than later. The trade details were incorrect through in that first post, Washington gave up Howell, 4th and 6th, and we got back 3rd and 5th. But still, that's cheap for a player with Howell's upside and friendly contract.
Yep

Seattle reportedly wanted to keep Lock, market is telling you what Howell is worth. Don't see any competition here.
Not so sure there isn't any competition there. I thought Howell looked pretty good in Washington.

Given the circumstances, absolutely.

At the worst, this is a good price for a solid backup. At the best, Seattle just got their starting QB for the next decade.

Yep, congrats Seattle you fleeced us for a very good young QB. NO ONE would have had success behind that awful o-line and awful OC last year. I think he will beat out Geno sooner than later. The trade details were incorrect through in that first post, Washington gave up Howell, 4th and 6th, and we got back 3rd and 5th. But still, that's cheap for a player with Howell's upside and friendly contract.
Yep

Seattle reportedly wanted to keep Lock, market is telling you what Howell is worth. Don't see any competition here.
Not so sure there isn't any competition there. I thought Howell looked pretty good in Washington.

At the worst, this is a good price for a solid backup. At the best, Seattle just got their starting QB for the next decade.
decade might be stretching it ;)

Yep

🤷‍♂️ the guy is 15 years younger than Joe Flacco.

Best case.

FWIW, I’m debating offering Darnold for him in SF. Which lottery ticket would you prefer?

Yep

🤷‍♂️ the guy is 15 years younger than Joe Flacco.

Best case.

FWIW, I’m debating offering Darnold for him in SF. Which lottery ticket would you prefer?
I'd take Howell over Darnold in dynasty, regardless of format. However, Darnold has great weapons in Minnesota, so there is that, but to me Darnold isn't very good. I can see him being benched at any given time.

I don't see a competition, Geno is actually a pretty solid QB, but its still a promising young player for peanuts. I think we'd all agree Howell>Rattler for instance.

Darnold has great weapons in Minnesota
Obviously JJ and Hockenson, but DK, JSN, Fant and the RBs are better in Seattle - I don’t think the weapons are hugely different on the whole.
I think they’re close, but only because Darnold has a better path to starting (and keeping the job) Until the draft anyway.

Brilliant move by Seattle. Bring in a young guy who has at least showed some nice flashes and proved he can play in the league, albeit with little consistency thus far.

That said, Geno is no schmuck, and I expect him to have a pretty decent hold on the starting job. Save an injury to Geno, I doubt we see Howell this season.

That said, Geno is no schmuck, and I expect him to have a pretty decent hold on the starting job. Save an injury to Geno, I doubt we see Howell this season.
Geno may not be a schmuck, but he’s had exactly 1 good/strong season in the NFL, followed by a significant drop off from 4382/30/11 to 3624/20/9.

It’s hard to say what the real Geno Smith is at this point but it’s hardly a lock that he ever repeats his 2022 season.

How many QBs got traded for peanuts and then went on to have success?

But any QB that's traded for peanuts is already presumed to be bad, and he's being traded to be someone's backup. I grant you that it's likely the QB is bad, but, also, the QB is unlikely to get another chance to show he might be good -- and if he does get that chance, it's often mid-game, or under circumstances where he's more than likely to fail, thus "proving" again he's bad.

I'm not saying this as a defense of Howell. I'm just saying that there may have been QBs who were traded for peanuts who could have been successful (however one defines that), but they rarely or never saw the field, because they were already labeled "bad."

But any QB that's traded for peanuts is already presumed to be bad, and he's being traded to be someone's backup. I grant you that it's likely the QB is bad, but, also, the QB is unlikely to get another chance to show he might be good -- and if he does get that chance, it's often mid-game, or under circumstances where he's more than likely to fail, thus "proving" again he's bad.

I'm not saying this as a defense of Howell. I'm just saying that there may have been QBs who were traded for peanuts who could have been successful (however one defines that), but they rarely or never saw the field, because they were already labeled "bad."
In this case I believe there’s a legitimate shot of Howell getting a chance to show he’s better than he was in WAS.

Geno is hardly infallible, and Seattle’s offense is strong enough that Howell succeeding there wouldn’t be entirely shocking.

I guess that also depends on how one defines “success”. Fewer sacks/ints would be a nice start.

A lot is going to depend on which Smith shows up - 2022 version, or every other year. I know Seattle came out with the vote of confidence, but it sure feels like Geno is being pushed a little here.

In this case I believe there’s a legitimate shot of Howell getting a chance to show he’s better than he was in WAS.

Geno is hardly infallible, and Seattle’s offense is strong enough that Howell succeeding there wouldn’t be entirely shocking.

I guess that also depends on how one defines “success”. Fewer sacks/ints would be a nice start.

A lot is going to depend on which Smith shows up - 2022 version, or every other year. I know Seattle came out with the vote of confidence, but it sure feels like Geno is being pushed a little here.
It's almost as if people ignore that he threw for 4000 yards last year. Yes, he had 21 ints, but he also threw for 63.4%, which is respectable.

Darnold has great weapons in Minnesota
Obviously JJ and Hockenson, but DK, JSN, Fant and the RBs are better in Seattle - I don’t think the weapons are hugely different on the whole.
I think they’re close, but only because Darnold has a better path to starting (and keeping the job) Until the draft anyway.
Having Darnold is like eating Broccoli.
Raw broccoli without ranch dip

Users who are viewing this thread