What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Corral, NE (1 Viewer)

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh

Panthers OC Ben McAdoo says he believes this past season is going to “benefit” Matt Corral in the long run. The Panthers rookie QB was reportedly very involved throughout the season despite sustaining a season-ending injury in the preseason.

If Corral hadn't gotten hurt, I think PJ Walker and Sam Darnold never start, and they go straight from Mayfield to Corral. Who knows how that goes, but the answer probably isn't worse.

If Corral hadn't gotten hurt, I think PJ Walker and Sam Darnold never start, and they go straight from Mayfield to Corral. Who knows how that goes, but the answer probably isn't worse.
Agree and right now it's tough to say whether that was good or bad for him longterm.

Agree and right now it's tough to say whether that was good or bad for him longterm.

Their Owner is impatient, and I cannot picture a scenario where they don't bring in either a high pick or a veteran upgrade...unfortunately for Corral his injury probably caused him to miss a great window of opportunity as far as the Panthers are concerned.

I’ve had plenty of opportunities to pick up Corral off the waiver wire in dynasty and chose not to. I can see some who are desperate in SF doing that, but not in non-SF.

Panthers coach Frank Reich said QB Matt Corral (Lisfranc) could miss the start of OTAs.​

Corral missed his entire rookie year after going down in the Panthers' second preseason game. The 2022 third-round pick will be eight months removed from surgery for OTAs and is likely to be limited in team workouts. The Panthers are expected to re-sign Sam Darnold or add a veteran this offseason. Corral should compete for the Panthers' backup role when healthy.
SOURCE: panthers.com
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:21 AM ET

NFL Network's Mike Giardi reports the Panthers "would be willing to move" QB Matt Corral.​

As Giardi noted, it won't take much for a team to acquire him. Taken by the Panthers with the 94th overall pick last year, Corral suffered a Lisfranc injury during the preseason that ultimately cost him his entire rookie campaign. As of a week ago, Frank Reich wasn't even sure if Corral would be ready for OTAs. With Carolina trading up to the No. 1 overall pick, they no longer have a reason to hold onto Corral, who would have been a developmental option for them.
SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter
Mar 13, 2023, 1:05 PM ET

Hope Coral goes on to be a starter and the stupid Panthers draft a bust. Should have stay out at 9 and seen what Coral had.

Panthers QB Matt Corral said he has no interest in being traded after the Panthers selected Bryce Young No. 1 overall.​

Corral's NFL career couldn't have gotten off to a more underwhelming start. Once rumored to be a fringe first-round talent, Corral slipped all the way to the third round of the 2022 NFL Draft and saw a preseason Lisfranc injury end his season before it ever really got started. Officially active for OTAs, Corral should get plenty of reps this offseason but faces an uphill battle to be anything more than the Panthers' third-string quarterback with Andy Dalton in town. While he doesn't appear interested in a trade, a strong showing in training camp and the preseason could force the team to deal Corral to a team that's thin at the quarterback position down the line.
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
May 22, 2023, 12:38 PM ET

Patriots claimed QB Matt Corral, formerly of the Panthers.
Corral was waived by the Panthers a day after roster cutdown day but is now headed to New England. The former third-round pick, whose 2022 was cut short by an injury before Week 1, will now have a chance to catch on with the Patriots on their practice squad. Corral brings a productive college profile to the pros that includes more than 8,200 passing yards, 57 touchdowns, and 23 interceptions but has struggled in preseason action. Through five career preseason games, he’s completed 71-of-84 passes for 318 yards, no touchdowns, and one interception. He’s still got a long way to go to make a 53-man roster.

Love this signing for the Patriots. Corral never got a chance in Carolina before he was injured and they immediately went to Bryce Young. Corral might be better than Young when all is said and done. Belichick loves himself a mobile QB, and Corral fits the bill.

He does. That's why he went after Cam so hard and played him when there were other (admittedly bad) options. All things constant, Bill loves a mobile QB and has said so repeatedly in pressers.

It's all over the web. You can find it with a simple Google search, Chaka. He "dreamed" of having a QB like Lamar Jackson, according to Gronk. Belichick has made no secret about stuff like that. Why do you think they were willing to give Malik Cunningham and now Matt Corral a shot?

He does. That's why he went after Cam so hard and played him when there were other (admittedly bad) options. All things constant, Bill loves a mobile QB and has said so repeatedly in pressers.

It's all over the web. You can find it with a simple Google search, Chaka. He "dreamed" of having a QB like Lamar Jackson, according to Gronk. Belichick has made no secret about stuff like that. Why do you think they were willing to give Malik Cunningham and now Matt Corral a shot?
Coulda just traded a couple 1st for Lamar Jackson and made him a stiff offer that Baltimore wouldn't match if BB was serious
I was imploring Miami to go after him

-Nice avatar
Good luck to Corral and his adventures in Foxsboro

Could’ve traded up a few spots and taken Fields if he felt that strongly about it. Or just taken Lamar Jackson when he was sitting there at 31 in 2018.

In any case I like the Corral signing too. Keeping my expectations low but can’t be any worse than Zappe.

Could’ve traded up a few spots and taken Fields if he felt that strongly about it. Or just taken Lamar Jackson when he was sitting there at 31 in 2018.

That's very true. I was going to more of the "all other things constant" that I'm thinking of. That said, nothing is ever constant, really. If there's a qualitative difference in being able to read and recognize coverages, arm strength and accuracy, etc., he's going to go with the guy that simply gives him the best chance to win.

Thanks. I just did a quick google search for Belichick mobile QB. I'm not going to dive deeper but these are Belichick's scouting notes when he was HC of the Browns. I'm sure times change and Belichick is the biggest student of the game in the business but this is still funny.

QB- #1 is to make good decisions - then arm, size, physically tough, leadership, guys look up to and have confidence in, a real competitor. Accurate rather than guy with a cannon. Emphasis on our game will be on decision, timing, accurate - guy needs to be confident, intelligence is important but not as much as field awareness & judgement. Can't be sloppy fundamentally unsound guy w/ball handling, tech's, etc. Footwoork, drops, release, etc. QB has to be able to throw the ball with accuracy.

Link

Coulda just traded a couple 1st for Lamar Jackson and made him a stiff offer that Baltimore wouldn't match if BB was serious
I was imploring Miami to go after him

-Nice avatar
Good luck to Corral and his adventures in Foxsboro
Or simply drafted Jalen Hurts in 2020. Not like QB wasn't a position of need at the time.

I liked Matt in college, tough gutsy QB. Unfortunately, seems like that projects more to NFL backup than anything too exciting.

I liked Matt in college, tough gutsy QB. Unfortunately, seems like that projects more to NFL backup than anything too exciting.
Not sure how to interpret this. He's a tick under 6'2". Russell Wilson 5'10" Drew Brees 6'0" Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott 6'2" Stafford, Cousins 6'3".

From what I've read, he can be twitchy in the pocket, tries to escape too much, and accuracy nosedives on the run. Then again he had 11 rush TDs in his final season. A pre-drafter rater said he needs to be with a QB friendly coach in a spread offense that maintains a comfy pocket.

cbssports value assessment after the 2022 draft....ordered by "value"....note how Purdy was rated below Zappe, lol.

1 - Malik Willis, 86, Tenn
2- Kenny Pickett, 20, Pitt
3 - Sam Howell, 144, Wash
4 - D Ridder, 74, Atl
5 - M Corral, 94, Car
7 - B Zappe, 137, NEP
8 - B Purdy, 262, SFO

"Corral, by all accounts, has starting-caliber confidence, arm strength and athleticism. He also has a smaller frame and haphazard tendencies, which don't necessarily bode well for a Panthers team transitioning the O-line"

Looks like he will not be coming in for Jones if needed anytime soon.

Not sure how to interpret this. He's a tick under 6'2". Russell Wilson 5'10" Drew Brees 6'0" Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott 6'2" Stafford, Cousins 6'3".

From what I've read, he can be twitchy in the pocket, tries to escape too much, and accuracy nosedives on the run. Then again he had 11 rush TDs in his final season. A pre-drafter rater said he needs to be with a QB friendly coach in a spread offense that maintains a comfy pocket.

cbssports value assessment after the 2022 draft....ordered by "value"....note how Purdy was rated below Zappe, lol.

1 - Malik Willis, 86, Tenn
2- Kenny Pickett, 20, Pitt
3 - Sam Howell, 144, Wash
4 - D Ridder, 74, Atl
5 - M Corral, 94, Car
7 - B Zappe, 137, NEP
8 - B Purdy, 262, SFO

"Corral, by all accounts, has starting-caliber confidence, arm strength and athleticism. He also has a smaller frame and haphazard tendencies, which don't necessarily bode well for a Panthers team transitioning the O-line"

Looks like he will not be coming in for Jones if needed anytime soon.
And the athleticism is overrated IMO. Yes he had a lot of rushing TDs but that seemed more out of necessity and bravery than being athletically special. I don't think his mobility works nearly so well in the NFL.

I'm surprised to see Coral turfed so quickly. he never really got a chance to show what he can do. New England is a good place for him to grow and develop.

Simmer down Skip Bayless.

I have been called many things in my day and insulted many times, but I have never. . .EVER. . .EVER been called Skip Bayless.

The mind reels at the thought, and I challenge you, good sir, to a duel. High noon tomorrow! I shall be here. Where will you be?

Thank you. Having had a bad week here with a zillion things not working right and non stop yelling, I needed this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread