What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Corral, NE (2 Viewers)

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Ole Miss QB Matt Corral is scheduled to meet with the Panthers, Eagles, Steelers, Saints and Falcons.

Corral (6'1/205) has felt more like a dark horse prospect this offseason after those who participated in the Senior Bowl and Combine added to their hype. Of the team's he is scheduled to meet with, the Panthers and Falcons both hold top-10 picks in the upcoming draft and are in desperate need for an upgrade at quarterback. Last season with Ole Miss, Corral threw for 3,349 yards, 20 touchdowns and five interceptions, while also rushing for 614 yards and another 11 touchdowns.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 8, 2022, 1:49 PM ET

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Ole Miss QB Matt Corral is scheduled to meet with the Eagles. 

Breer said Corral is the only quarterback slated to visit with the Eagles, who have the 15th and 18th picks in the draft. While Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett are widely considered the draft's top two QBs, NBC Sports' Chris Simms ranks Corral as his No. 1 signal caller in this year's class. Corral had the nation's 17th most passing yards (3,349) in 2021, and his 68 percent completion rate ranked 18th. He threw 49 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Ole' Miss. Simms said Corral's arm strength could prove irresistible for NFL teams seeking a long-term quarterback. Corral's arm, Simms said, "is extremely strong, I mean it’s like crazy strong where you go, ‘Did he really throw that ball, 25 yards out route and it was like 5 feet off the ground the whole way there.'” Taking Corral in the first round would cast major doubt on Jalen Hurts' future as Philly's quarterback, making 2022 a critically important season for Hurts. 

RELATED: 

Jalen Hurts

, Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: SI.com 

Apr 12, 2022, 10:08 AM ET

The NFL Network's Peter Schrager believes Ole Miss QB Matt Corral could land with the Carolina Panthers with the No. 6 overall pick.

Coming from a figure head who is tied to a league owned network, this could carry some weight. Carolina undoubtedly needs a quarterback with their only pick in the top-100, and some have ranked Corral as their QB1 of this class. Corral is about as close to a "pro ready" quarterback as any in this class, and could push Sam Darnold for the starting job come Week 1. Matt Rhule needs to save his job and Darnold isn't the answer. A bet on Corral will likely be what determines whether or not Rhule returns for the 2023 season.

SOURCE: Peter Schrager on Twitter

Apr 12, 2022, 12:16 PM ET

According to NFL.com's Charles Davis, Mississippi QB Matt Corral should be on a team's favorite prospect list.

Charles Davis refers to a "pound the table prospect" as "NFL general manager, scout and coach has a personal list of favorite prospects or pound the table the prospect." He has Corral (6'1/205) on that list because he feels like all of his skills came together in his 2021. His ability to release the ball quickly and make play with his legs makes him one of his favorite quarterback prospects coming into this season. Before the emergence of Kenny Pickket and Malik Willis this year, many had Corral as their best quarterback prospect and guaranteed top 10 pick. He may not be the first quarterback taken, but he might become of the more successful in this draft with the tools he's already equipped with.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 13, 2022, 8:10 PM ET

Brian Baldinger@BaldyNFL

@OleMissFB @corral_matt

I hear everything about this QB class on a daily basis; some good, some not so good. I keep putting Corral’s tape everyday. He just pops! Curious what NFL teams really think? #rebels #BaldysBreakdowns

>>> 🎥 LINK video

------------------------------

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

#OleMiss QB Matt Corral, one of the draft’s top passers, finishes up his Top 30 visits this week with the #Falcons and #Saints, source said. Last week, he was with the #Eagles, #Panthers and #Steelers.

---------------------------------------

Will Ole Miss QB Matt Corral be a first-round pick?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Baldinger@BaldyNFL

@OleMissFB @corral_matt

I hear everything about this QB class on a daily basis; some good, some not so good. I keep putting Corral’s tape everyday. He just pops! Curious what NFL teams really think? #rebels #BaldysBreakdowns

>>> 🎥 LINK video

------------------------------

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

#OleMiss QB Matt Corral, one of the draft’s top passers, finishes up his Top 30 visits this week with the #Falcons and #Saints, source said. Last week, he was with the #Eagles, #Panthers and #Steelers.

---------------------------------------

Will Ole Miss QB Matt Corral be a first-round pick?
I've seen Corral play several times over the past couple of seasons. What stands out to me:

1. He showed significant improvement from last year to this year, a good sign.

2. He has a twitchy arm- lively with a quick delivery that pops. He doesn't have the pure howitzer of a Willis, but throws with timing, pace, and accuracy.

3. Corral cannot run in the NFL like he did in college. He took an absolute beating late last year in the run game and he clearly wore down. If he doesn't dial it back next year, there is little question in my mind he'll get hurt. Has a skinny frame and is not quite 6'2". 

4. I think he goes in the final 5-7 picks of round one. I think it's a strong possibility that a team (Detroit?) might move a bit up to secure his services.

5. Corral can be a an above average NFL starter but he must run less or he literally will not make it. The team that selects him has to coach that element of his game.

An NFL offensive coordinator told Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer Ole Miss QB Matt Corral has “off-field questions.”

“He’s kind of a mess. I’m not sure you want him leading your program. His issues aren’t the kind solved by giving millions of dollars." Corral had the lowest Wonderlic (15) among the top 12 quarterbacks. The character concerns date back to high school and Corral’s early years at Ole Miss, where he backed up his first two seasons. There are doubts whether Corral can run an NFL offense coming from Lane Kiffin’s zone-read scheme, giving him a wide range of outcomes in a weak class with no consensus. Corral had top-30 visits with the Eagles, Falcons, Panthers, and Steelers.

SOURCE: SI.com

Apr 23, 2022, 10:59 AM ET

In a recent interview with Pro Football Talk, Ole Miss QB Matt Corral said, "I'm just focused on what I can control," with less than a week until the 2022 NFL Draft.

Corral (6'1/205) came under some scrutiny earlier this week when one NFL offensive coordinator reportedly said he wasn't the kind of player a team should want leading its program. Corral had his share of character concerns during his time at Ole Miss. Coming from a military family, Corral highlighted the discipline and work ethic he saw growing up as a key part in his development. In addition to character concerns, some doubt exists about Corral's ability to run an NFL style of offense.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk

Apr 24, 2022, 6:20 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, Mississippi QB Matt Corral had the lowest rate of turnover-worthy plays in the SEC last season.

Corral (6'1/205) was a special talent coming into the season, and many believed he would be the first quarterback off the board. With Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett having stellar seasons, Corral's chances of being the QB1 have cooled to a slight simmer. He comes in still as one of the more complete quarterbacks with a proven track record. His big arm can stretch the field and his mobility can turn nothing into something, but it's his ability to keep control of the offense is what's attractive. At 1.8%, he had the lowest rate of turnover-worthy plays in the SEC last season, even better than Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young at 2.0%. The teams that are looking for a quarterback this season should study Corral and he's a prospect believed could be ready to start in Week 1.

SOURCE: PFF College

Apr 24, 2022, 4:59 PM ET

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports NFL scouts are concerned with Ole Miss QB Matt Corral's release and his accuracy. 

Scouts interviewed by Feldman were universally critical of Corral's pro day, where his release was "too quick" and led to throws "sprayed everywhere." "Compact is good and quick is good, but now it’s almost so shot-puttish it can lead to a good amount of batted balls," one scout told Feldman. "That motion can limit your throw repertoire." Corral's release didn't seem to affect his accuracy at Ole Miss in 2021. He ranked 15th among all college quarterbacks with a 67.9 percent completion rate. Pro Football Focus found Corral's completion rate over expected to be the lowest among the presumed top-five QBs off the draft board, though his actual completion rate was second among those signal callers. One of the most polarizing players in this year's draft class, Corral has a wide range of outcomes. At best, he could compete for a Week 1 starting job on a team without an established quarterback. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 25, 2022, 9:57 AM ET

I don’t know. I keep looking at the odds on first QB taken off the board and Corral is sitting there at 20/1 ( +2000 in US terms ? ). It  seems like a good price to me as none of these QBs are sure things and all the reports are so contrasting. Might put a sneaky 20 dollars on it 

Panthers traded up with the Patriots to select Ole Miss QB Mat Corral with the No. 94 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

New England gave up the 94th pick for pick 137 and a future third-rounder. Corral (6’0/200) could hardly have operated Lane Kiffin’s RPO-based offense with a “score from far mentality” better than he did, battling through injury in a handful of games and still finishing the season with a completion percentage of 67.9 with 3,349 passing yards, 20 touchdowns, and five interceptions. He took a notable jump between 2020 and 2021, further increasing what was already a good level of overall accuracy, quickness in getting the ball out, and decision-making that looked a lot better than the previous season. While he will have to answer questions about whether he can thrive in a different system, he still projects as a prospect with a decent floor who has a more-than-adequate arm, a strong ability to evade pressure, and who can make plays with his legs. Corral should immediately push Sam Darnold for the starting job in Carolina. The coaching staff seems just about done with Darnold after last year's mess and all the swings and misses at outside quarterbacks on the trade market.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

Apr 29, 2022, 11:01 PM ET

As far as he fell, his landing spot was almost perfect for him. Same can almost be said for Willis. 

Corral was actually the best QB in this class IMHO.  I know there are some character concerns, but if those don't get in the way this kid has pro bowl talent.   Surprised he slid as far as he did.  I like him over Ridder and Willis.  Pickett has a higher floor and lower ceiling.

Panthers GM Scott Fitterer called the team's starting quarterback job "up for grabs" and said rookie QB Matt Corral will play if he “gives us the best opportunity to win."

The Panthers' starting job is Sam Darnold's to lose, according to Fitterer, who confirmed Darnold as the "number one guy right now." Darnold's contract ($18M salary) makes it hard to see him not starting Week 1, but the Panthers are at least open to a competition. Corral has no shortage of dust on his profile, backing up for two seasons at Ole Miss before taking over as the starter. With coach Matt Rhule entering a make-or-break year, Darnold's leash figures to be short if he holds off the rookie in training camp.

RELATED: 

Sam Darnold

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

May 15, 2022, 11:01 AM ET

The Athletic reports third-round rookie Matt Corral struggled before the snap in Panthers minicamp. 

"But it’s all the things Corral has to do before the snap — getting the play called, identifying the defense, making checks — that have challenged him after he played in an RPO-heavy offense in college," was the observation of longtime beat writer Joseph Person. Head coach Matt Rhule more or less confirmed that assessment by praising Corral's work once the play goes live. “(OC Ben McAdoo) says this: When the ball’s snapped, Matt’s natural instincts are usually pretty right on." Rhule has said Sam Darnold would be the starter were the season to begin today and has publicly refused to rule out an outside addition. Corral could change the calculus with a lights-out camp, but he does not appear to be a legitimate consideration for Week 1. 

RELATED: 

Sam Darnold

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 16, 2022, 6:01 PM ET

I'm not familiar with QB coach changes and even some staff changes but Carolina seems to be the least QB friendly place to go.

I have liked the prospects of many QBs there and they always fizzle out. 

Teddy was fine. Why add PJ? Why can't PJ get the TD he earned? Why's cam in the game? Why bring back Cam? Why add Darnold? Giving up on Grier? Did he get a chance? Teddy's gone, Darnold's starting,  so where's PJ at then? Was he just added to wreck the hot streak he was riding in the XFL? Ok moving onto Corral, nice. Wait maybe add Baker? So then Corral and PJ....watch? 

It's like they have no concept of continuity, confidence, and development.

Also, sidenote, Larry Centers was a fantastic receiver and his QBs and their offense stunk because they threw it to him a zillion times. I'm not 💯 that McCaff should get so many passes. Is he too good of a dump option, easy option that QBs don't develop and get spoiled? 

Carolina QBs just confuse me

I'm not familiar with QB coach changes and even some staff changes but Carolina seems to be the least QB friendly place to go.

Teddy was fine. Why add PJ? Why can't PJ get the TD he earned? Why's cam in the game? Why bring back Cam? Why add Darnold? Giving up on Grier? Did he get a chance? Teddy's gone, Darnold's starting,  so where's PJ at then? Was he just added to wreck the hot streak he was riding in the XFL? Ok moving onto Corral, nice. Wait maybe add Baker? So then Corral and PJ....watch? 

Also, sidenote, Larry Centers was a fantastic receiver and his QBs and their offense stunk because they threw it to him a zillion times. I'm not 💯 that McCaff should get so many passes. Is he too good of a dump option, easy option that QBs don't develop and get spoiled? 

Carolina QBs just confuse me
I think its mostly been bad roster management, and seeing things in players that weren't there.

Cam in 2019 looked pretty close to shot as a downfield passer, and for whatever reason they never really gave Will Grier a shot. Not that Grier would have done well, but in a lost season, why not throw your 3rd round rookie in for a few games? He got 1 game against a good Indy defense, in which DJ Moore got hurt in the 1st quarter. Grier wasn't good, but really nobody was for them that season.  

We had ample evidence that Teddy is just a backup caliber QB. If he were brought in as a bridge QB so to speak, for a rookie I could have understood that, but they seemed to think he was a franchise guy, and then were suddenly disappointed that he wasn't and moved on.

PJ Walker sucks. I have no idea why he's even in the NFL, he can't read a defense to save his life. He played well in the XFL, but that is sort of like playing well for a division III school. 

No idea what they saw in Darnold. Personally, I thought Darnold got worse every year in NY, and that unsurprisingly continued in Carolina. The Jets getting a 2 for him is/was incredible. Bringing Cam back, made some sense, in that at least when he is in there, the running game is working, instead of nothing working at all. But obviously he's not the short or long term answer.

Corral probably should have gone a round higher in my opinion. I think he got hurt because his numbers came down with Elijah Moore leaving. That happens. I'm fine with his addition, and I think he's probably the smartest option to start, whether he's fully ready or not.  Corral ran an inordinate amount of RPO stuff in college, but the Panthers are also sort of built for that as well. Even with a limited playbook, he's better than Darnold, and much better than Walker.

Mayfield is the real wildcard. He's shown more talent than any of those guys ever have, except for peak Cam(who we are long removed from) and would arguably have the best weapons of his career in Carolina, albeit a worse OL. I've stumped for Mayfield quite a bit on this offseason, but I actually think the Panthers might be better off going with Corral now that he's here. That said, if its an open competition, I'd expect Mayfield to win if he's added. Funnily enough the Panthers play the Browns in week 1.

I will say, I think CMC is nothing like Centers was, and is a major asset to the offense in the passing game and running game. Centers contributed nothing as a runner, and had no big play ability. He was just a reliable set of hands.  I don't see CMC hurting the QBs, or functioning as just a checkdown option. He's a mismatch on any LB/S and is a true difference maker. Every QB has played substantially better with him on the field. He should see 80-100 catches if he stays healthy, as their best or 2nd best weapon. 

CMC's health and poor QB play has sunk this offense of late, but if CMC stays on the field, and they get even average QB play, this is a sneaky offense, with 2 excellent weapons, and a potentially much improved OL(added Bozeman, Corbett, and drafted Ekwonu) if I were a Panthers fan, I'd be excited as long as its not Darnold or Walker starting. 

ETA: Another issue I had with the Darnold trade, was they locked themselves into him. They had the 8th pick of a loaded QB class. They could have either Fields or Jones right now. 

This happens with every team. It's just the natural cycle of things. It's a team coming off a slow descent from their peak with Cam. Rare you go from a great QB to another great QB. Carolina is a middling team in a stop gap QB phase trying to find a new identity. There's going to be wasted talent during those years. It's an unfortunate inevitably. Eventually they'll bottom out from middling QB talent and grab a top guy one of these years.

Sounds like McAdoo's offense is complex and takes time to learn. It's also real light on RPO, which is what Corral is familiar with. Maybe this ultimately works out, but it's looking like a long shot.

Wouldn't surprise me if McAdoo takes over as interim HC should Rhule get dismissed mid-season. 

It's a good situation IMO for Corral. He won't be forced into action unready and potentially damaged. He has time to develop without pressure. Darnold and Baker will get all the attention. Both are on the end of their deals and have been given up on both the teams that drafted him. Good chance Corral gets a chance to play late in the year and prove his worth. 

It's a good situation IMO for Corral. He won't be forced into action unready and potentially damaged. He has time to develop without pressure. Darnold and Baker will get all the attention. Both are on the end of their deals and have been given up on both the teams that drafted him. Good chance Corral gets a chance to play late in the year and prove his worth. 
Unless you have a ridiculously deep bench I don't see how Corral is roster worthy in a start 1qb league being a 3rd string QB.  I'd rather throw a dart at some backup RB. 

The Charlotte Observer considers third-round rookie Matt Corral unlikely to "see a regular season snap this season."

Reporter Scott Fowler is just pointing out the obvious, but things might spice up if the Panthers somehow offload Sam Darnold. That would require either eating Darnold's mammoth $18.8 million via release or getting him to agree to a pay cut or restructure to facilitate a trade. It is unclear in what universe Darnold would consider the latter option. If Darnold is cut, Corral could some into some dual-threat streamer upside were Baker Mayfield to miss time with injury. Despite Mayfield's poor 2021 play, we would consider it extremely unlikely he gets a performance-based benching in Corral's favor. 

SOURCE: Charlotte Observer 

Jul 7, 2022, 5:55 PM ET

(RotoWire) Matt Corral has a Lisfranc injury in his left foot, David Newton of ESPN.com reports. Analysis: Newton suggests it could be a season-ending injury after coach Matt Rhule used the term "significant." Corral, a rookie third-round pick, was expected to be the Panthers' No. 3 QB before he hurt his foot during Friday's preseason loss to New England. He struggled in his two appearances this preseason, completing 10 of 24 passes for 69 yards. P.J. Walker now has a much better shot to stick with the Panthers behind Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold.

#94th pick overall in this past Draft and looked like complete dog poo out there in his preseason appearances.

Can they just offer an injury settlement and move on? You are not going to be able to evaluate anything until next year at some point. They need to focus on Baker Mayfield.

Users who are viewing this thread