What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Malik Willis, TEN (2 Viewers)

Is there a Mac Jones in this draft?

Would Mac Jones be playing over Jimmy G if they were both in SF? 

What really matters is how Lance and Mac look in a year or 2. I think most people acknowledged that Lance needed development. 
In two years I wouldn't be surprised if Lance is taken before Mahomes in fantasy drafts.   Yes, I can't believe I just said that :)

Is there a Mac Jones in this draft?

Would Mac Jones be playing over Jimmy G if they were both in SF? 

What really matters is how Lance and Mac look in a year or 2. I think most people acknowledged that Lance needed development. 
No, there’s no Mac this year. There aren’t any in most drafts. 

In two years I wouldn't be surprised if Lance is taken before Mahomes in fantasy drafts.   Yes, I can't believe I just said that :)
Lance has been compared to Josh Allen, there’s something to that. We’ll see. I took him 1.02 in a SF last year and will hang on to him and hope. 
To the point of the thread, I do not see the same talent with Willis although the risk is similar.  He’s a lesser talent imo, closer to Jalen hurts but without the college experience.  If he gets drafted by Seattle or maybe Pittsburgh, I’ll be interested. Most other teams and I’ll avoid him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
An NFL source tells NBC Sports EDGE's Thor Nystrom that the Steelers "clearly prefer" Liberty QB Malik Willis to Pitt QB Kenny Pickett. 

Willis and Pickett are two of this year's top quarterback prospects, though not the consensus top two. Willis is one of the class's true wild cards as a player who enters the league with a high-risk, high-reward game as a 6-foot-even dual-threat. He is also on the older side for a rookie, turning 23 in May. Willis would be an interesting final first-rounder for outgoing Steelers GM Kevin Colbert, who took a 2004 chance on small-school prospect Ben Roethlisberger. 

RELATED: 

Pittsburgh Steelers

SOURCE: Thor Nystrom on Twitter 

Feb 3, 2022, 6:13 PM ET

Liberty’s Malik Willis was named top QB on the American team in a vote from defensive teammates at practice player-of-the-week awards ceremony at the Senior Bowl.

If they gave a top player award for the Senior Bowl it would probably also go to Willis (6'1"/215). Nobody improved their draft stock better than the former Liberty QB during this week's Senior Bowl and some analysts even think he could be the first quarterback taken in this year's draft. He dazzled viewers every day and continually improved his throwing accuracy, decision-making, and his already exceptional mobility. To put a cap on the week, he was named by his defensive teammates as the top QB on the American team that also included North Carolina's Sam Howell and Western Kentucky's Bailey Zappe. It's still early in the scouting process and there's still the combine, but with Willis' performance this week, you know he'll gain a lot of attention when goes to Indy.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy

Feb 4, 2022, 4:40 PM ET

Markus Boggs@Mr_Boggins

Idk who needs to hear this, but Teddy Bridgewater is not coming back to Denver.

After tantalizing at Liberty, Malik Willis taking national stage at Senior Bowl

...Scouts from various NFL clubs made a human L around the back corner of the end zone as Willis zinged a few short warmup throws. The Denver Broncos had several onlookers, including one recording Willis' every move with a video camera.

---------------------------------------------

Markus Boggs@Mr_Boggins

I don’t think there’s anyway Malik Willis isnt the first QB off the board in April if he continues 2 easily out perform the other QBs during Senior Bowl week. This is his big test. We all know he’s gonna blow the brakes off the combine and pro day. It’s all about the Senior Bowl

2022 NFL Mock Draft: Malik Willis rides impressive Senior Bowl week into top 10; Saints, Steelers also add QBs

NFL MOCK DRAFT

ROUND 1

Round 1 - Pick 9

Malik Willis QB

LIBERTY • JR • 6'1" / 215 LBS

PROJECTED TEAM

Denver

Let's ride the hype train Willis has created for himself during Senior Bowl week and anoint him as the first quarterback off the board. The home run move seems to be luring Aaron Rodgers to the Mile High City to reunite with Packers offensive coordinator-turned-Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett, but if that doesn't happen, adding the dynamic Willis to an offense full of untapped potential could spell trouble for the rest of the AFC West.

Last edited by a moderator:
If true they are out of their freaking minds.
The ultimate debate about tools vs finished product. I wish Willis was younger. He will be 23 by next season. Pickett will be 24 so he's even older but I guess this just highlights how weak this QB class is. 

Yep. He just showed absolutely nothing in todays game. Dropping back and running gets you nothing in the NFL. The did say he completely missed seeing a wide open WR while he was running around instead of looking downfield. Total bust on the way for some poor team.

Yep. He just showed absolutely nothing in todays game. Dropping back and running gets you nothing in the NFL. The did say he completely missed seeing a wide open WR while he was running around instead of looking downfield. Total bust on the way for some poor team.
A lot of Jalen Hurts/Kyler Murray in him. You might have to build an offense specific to him but at least he provides something. I am not impressed by any of the QBs in the draft and they all have huge flaws. I would rather take a shot on a toolsy player 

Maybe, but really neither is a great prospect. 
I’d much rather see Willis drafted by a team with an older, starting caliber QB than in a place where he might need to start. Atlanta could be ideal. the 1.08 seems too high, but they can move up to the end of the 1st if they wanted to. 

Former Liberty QB Malik Willis completed 2-of-4 passes for 11 yards and also ran four times for 54 yards in American's 20-10 loss to National. 

Willis (6'1"/215) capped off his fantastic Senior Bowl week with a solid Senior Bowl game. He didn't get to do much in the game, but the one big play he had really encapsulated what makes him so special. His prodigious running ability (in both speed and elusiveness) were on display as he stepped up in to the pocket and then took off, evading tacklers before reversing field and getting the edge for a huge 27-yard run. His running ability combined with arguably the strongest arm in the QB class makes Willis a tantalizing prospect in the upcoming draft and he used every bit of Senior Bowl week to remind NFL GMs of that fact. 

Feb 5, 2022, 6:27 PM ET

Ilov80s said:
A lot of Jalen Hurts/Kyler Murray in him. You might have to build an offense specific to him but at least he provides something. I am not impressed by any of the QBs in the draft and they all have huge flaws. I would rather take a shot on a toolsy player 
Unfortunately that is not a recipe for SBs. It can be done in college but not in the pros. it's too easy to figure out. 

Yeah, none of these guys are worthy of a 1st and maybe even a 2nd yet desperate teams are going to reach and later on wish they didn't.

Unfortunately that is not a recipe for SBs. It can be done in college but not in the pros. it's too easy to figure out. 

Yeah, none of these guys are worthy of a 1st and maybe even a 2nd yet desperate teams are going to reach and later on wish they didn't.
I’m on the fence with Willis and Ridder - IF the first we’re talking about is in the back half. A team like Atlanta would make sense for either guy and their potential might make it worth while. I’m just glad my team is unlikely to draft one (even if they could stand to upgrade)

Former Liberty QB Malik Willis broke a Reese's Senior Bowl record while in Mobile.

Willis (6'1/215) saw his draft stock soar while other quarterbacks stayed mostly steady in Mobile at the Senior Bowl. He had an up-and-down first day, but the days that followed of practices and the game saw him show his immense arm talent, seemingly much-improved accuracy and decision-making and acceptance of and ability to take coaching. While there, Willis also broke a Senior Bowl record previously held by Josh Allen, for initial air speed on a pass (66.1 MPH).

SOURCE: Josh Kendall on Twitter

Feb 10, 2022, 3:57 PM ET

Malik Willis is exactly who we thought he was, and I am not so sure the Senior Bowl did much to change that.  He is a gifted athlete with a live arm, but he is also very much a developmental talent who needs to work on his read progressions and accuracy under fire.  For all of the Senior Bowl accolades, Willis passed for a paltry 11 yards in the game.  He led the American team in rushing, but nobody doubted his ability as a runner.  Willis reportedly impressed in practices with his arm strength, but, again, like his legs, we never doubted Willis' arm.  It was good to see Willis have success in practice, but the main thing boosting his draft status right now is hype.

Quotes like this one from the NFL Network are puzzling: 

"After a strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl, Liberty quarterback Malik Willis kept a good thing going in Saturday’s all-star game, showing off a skill set that could make him the first quarterback selected in the 2022 NFL draft."
It seems to me like people will see whatever it is they want to see.  The draft-hype machines are in full operation!

Willis will be the first QB taken whether he deserves it or not. Hard to say where he'll go, but there's just too high of a ceiling compared to the other guys. 

In a good class, Willis might've been a 2nd-rounder.

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay projects Pittsburgh will trade up to the Chargers' 17th pick to select Liberty QB Malik Willis.

The Steelers will be looking for a quarterback for the first time in almost 20 years as Ben Roethlisberger retires. Willis (6'1/215) would not be a bad fit in the Steel City, as he would already have a talented receiving core with Dionate Johnson and Chase Claypool, along with a young, bell cow running back in Najee Harris. The question with Pittsburgh is their offensive line as it was one of the lowest graded lines in the league last year. A mobile quarterback like Willis who can elude the pass rush would certainly be a relief for their woeful pass protection since he led the nation in scrambles each of the last two seasons and is an elite runner when flushed from the pocket. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Feb 16, 2022, 12:38 PM ET

Willis will be the first QB taken whether he deserves it or not. Hard to say where he'll go, but there's just too high of a ceiling compared to the other guys. 

In a good class, Willis might've been a 2nd-rounder.
Definitely a second rounder. He's not as good as Lamar was and he was pick 32. 

Willis is probably going top 10 and I really hope the Steelers don't trade up to grab him. At this point I think Pickett and Willis go top 10, in a normal class they go late 1st or 2nd. 

CBSSports.com's Chris Trapasso mocked former Liberty QB to the Washington Commanders with the 11th overall pick in his latest mock draft.

In this draft, Trapasso set Willis (6'1/215) up to be the QB1 of the 2022 NFL Draft, in a first round that included three quarterbacks in total. There's a good chance to Willis ends up as the top quarterback in this class given the elite upside that scouts and analysts believe he possesses if he is able to build on his raw talent. Washington has been in desperate need of a quarterback since the 90's, but head coach Ron Rivera could be mortgaging his own future if the team opts to sit Willis as a rookie and the team struggles in 2022. Willis is absolutely worth the gamble for whatever team drafts him, but how long he needs to sit is yet to be determined.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Feb 23, 2022, 5:44 PM ET

Per PFF, Liberty QB Malik Willis has the highest big-time throw percentage since 2015 at 11%.

When watching the Liberty offense this past season, it's no surprise to see Willis (6'1/215) high on this list. What also shouldn't be surprising is seeing Josh Allen's 2016 season with Wyoming at second on the list with 2016 at 10.6%. The comparisons and parallels between the two were obvious leading into the process but seeing metrics like these come out gives the comparisons credence. Willis has shown the willingness to make the big throws and that should help him succeed in the NFL.

SOURCE: PFF Draft

Feb 24, 2022, 3:30 PM ET

ESPN's Todd McShay said QB Malik Willis is "more athletic, a more dynamic athlete and he definitely has a stronger arm" than Jalen Hurts. 

Hurts -- fantasy's highest scoring QB before his late-season ankle injury -- played in far more big college games than Willis did at Liberty, but it's Willis who brings more dynamism as a prospect, McShay said. McShay -- like many draft analysts -- said Willis has the most upside of any quarterback in the 2022 class, but "probably" has "the lowest floor of all the guys.” McShay called Kenny Pickett a "poor man's Mac Jones." Willis, who threw 27 touchdowns in his final season at Liberty and ran for 1,824 yards and 27 scores in his last two collegiate seasons, could be the first QB off the board in the 2022 draft. McShay said whichever team drafts Willis will need to go all in on the quarterback, like the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson. The Steelers reportedly have interest in Willis, as should the Falcons. 

RELATED: 

Kenny Pickett

SOURCE: SI.com 

Feb 28, 2022, 10:18 AM ET

Several announcements surrounding combine quarterback plans emerged Monday, including that Liberty QB Malik Willis will be throwing.

On Monday, it was announced some players wouldn't fully be taking part in the combine, others confirmed their plans. One of them was Willis (6'1/214), who will be throwing according to Ian Rapoport. Willis greatly improved his previously falling draft stock with a solid Senior Bowl performance that saw him rise to QB1 on some analysts' boards. His ascension can continue in Indianapolis.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport

Feb 28, 2022, 5:13 PM ET

Liberty QB Malik Willis says he will only throw at the NFL Combine, will not do athletic testing.

Willis (6'1"/214) is a candidate to be the coveted first QB off the board, especially after his stellar Senior Bowl workout and game. A lot of that is based off his athletic prowess though, with his howitzer arm and running ability the combination that scouts are drooling over. It's a bit surprising then, that Willis is choosing not to show off the running portion of his game at the Combine. He was the odds on favorite to be the fastest 40 time amongst QBs, and a Lamar Jackson-esque time could have solidified him in the top QB spot. Willis will instead focus on the throwing drills, and his accuracy is the one question mark about him so a fantastic session there could do even more than running would. He also said he might run during his Pro Day, so scouts will at least see something if he does indeed test there.

SOURCE: Thor Nystrom on Twitter

Mar 2, 2022, 1:06 PM ET

While I respect him focusing on his perceived weakness, I’ve never liked it when prospects don’t participate fully unless they’re dealing with an injury. 

Don't you have to be a good passer in order to be a good QB in the NFL?  Yes, he will do well in fantasy when he's on the field due to his legs, but can he sustain a starting job in the NFL once he's given the opportunity?

Don't you have to be a good passer in order to be a good QB in the NFL?  Yes, he will do well in fantasy when he's on the field due to his legs, but can he sustain a starting job in the NFL once he's given the opportunity?
I would guess this is going to come down to which team drafts him and how they handle him.  If they build an offense to maximize his strengths and minimize his weakness then he can succeed.  If they try and put him in a standard offense he will probably fail. 

Users who are viewing this thread