What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyle Allen, HOU (3 Viewers)

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Kyle Allen will start in Week 8 against the 49ers.

Cam Newton (foot) will "be with the trainers" and continue to rehab throughout the week. Rivera added that Cam "may or may not" return to practice this week, too. Allen's undefeated streak over Carolina's last four games has certainly made the decision to keep Newton sidelined easier as the former's kept his head above water with 901 yards, seven touchdowns and a 65.5 percent completion rate against the Cardinals, Texans, Jags and Bucs since Week 3. Undoubtedly set to face his toughest test to date in San Francisco's nightmarish pass rush, any stumbles on Sunday could result in Newton returning to practice sooner than expected. It would certainly help to have both Trai Turner (ankle) and Greg Little (concussion) back for Week 8.

SOURCE: Joseph Person on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 2:09 PM ET

Kyle Allen completed 19-of-37 passes for 158 yards, zero touchdowns and three interceptions in the Panthers' 51-13, Week 8 loss to the 49ers.

The Panthers’ second-year QB had his first truly disastrous performance of his career. Of course, not all of it was Allen’s fault; he faced heavy pressure throughout the afternoon and took six (!!!) first half sacks. Still, Allen overthrew a wide-open Curtis Samuel for a touchdown early in the first half, was intercepted while attempting to get the ball to Samuel later, was again intercepted by Richard Sherman when looking for D.J. Moore, and generally failed to provide any sort of spark or downfield presence throughout the afternoon. Cam Newton (foot) worked out during pregame warmups and could be back under center in Week 9 against the Titans.

Oct 27, 2019, 7:21 PM ET

Coach Ron Rivera confirmed that Kyle Allen will start in place of Cam Newton (foot) against the Titans this Sunday.

Rivera clarified that Newton is still rehabbing. Allen had his first truly disastrous start on Sunday against the 49ers, tossing three interceptions while averaging a pathetic 4.3 YPA on 37 throws. The good news is the Titans don't come close to resembling the 49ers when it comes to defensive fortitude. Newton still doesn't have a timetable for return, although he was at least spotted working out during pregame warmups.

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter.

Oct 28, 2019, 2:36 PM ET

Kyle Allen completed 17-of-32 passes for 232 yards, two touchdowns an an interception in the Panthers' 30-20, Week 9 win over the Titans.

It was a much better day than Allen had against the 49ers' conference-best defense in Week 8, though he was lucky to escape with only one turnover. Moments after Jarius Wright tipped an inaccurate pass into the air for a pick, Allen threw the ball right to Malcolm Butler. He dropped it. Neither terribly accurate nor explosive down the field, Allen is the purest of game managers. He gets the Packers' hot-and-cold defense for Week 10.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:06 PM ET

^^^ not sure what this guy is watching calling Allen a pure game manager. Not sure he understands that term then.

Also, compared to a guy like Darnold against a great D with the Pats....this is how you're supposed to bounce back after a rough game.

The right call. Bad game against arguably the best team in the league is nothing to be benched over.
Long term, I think he's among the best backups in the league.  It looks like he'll have a decent career.  Similar in value, though not style, to Fitzpatrick

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Kyle Allen will start in Week 10 against the Packers.

Rivera added that Cam Newton (foot) will simply continue his rehab in the interim. Allen resumed his performance as a game manager in Week 9, completing 17-of-32 passes for 232 yards and two scores versus the Titans. He's now averaged 215.2 yards in his six starts, assisting the Panthers to a 5-1 record in that stretch. With Newton reportedly weighing several options including season-ending surgery, Allen's fully expected to start for the rest of '19 barring any shocking updates to Newton's progress.

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Nov 4, 2019, 12:20 PM ET

At this point, I think Cam gives it one last go next season trying to play out his contract. If he gets hurt again or the team misses the playoffs, he retires.

This could well be Allen's team looking toward the future. I think he's been pretty decent. Only 23. Tons of room to grow and some great young weapons around him to grow with, good coach. Just start adding to the O-line and this is a very good team for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been holding him for 2 weeks now just because of his Week 11 matchup with Atlanta (to cover my Rodgers bye).  I like what I see out of the kid.  He doesn't target CMC through the air quite as often as Cam, but he doesn't seem to make many mistakes, he's careful with the ball, and he lets his playmakers make the plays...

Picked him up in a deep Dynasty league after week 1 when Newton's future seemed to be in question.  Was just going to hold for a short time to wait and see. Then Brees got hurt. Then Newton was ruled out for week 3 and Allen named starter. Still didn't look like I would have a qb for week 8. Cam continued to miss games and Brees came back in time for me to have multiple options for Jackson's BYE week. Haven't seen him play as I don't get Panther games here, but some of you think he has a future in the league, maybe even as Carolina's #1. Any starting qb is valuable in that league and I'm happy to have 3 at the moment. Most backups are rostered and have been. 

Kyle Allen completed 28-of-43 passes for 307 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Panthers' 24-16, Week 10 loss to the Packers.

It was Allen's first 300-yard game of the season, and it took place in front of his parents against his childhood favorite team at Lambeau Field. Allen tried to throw several interceptions late in this one but was able to march the Panthers all the way to the one-yard line as Christian McCaffrey was stuffed to end the game. Allen lost a fumble earlier in the day and took three total sacks. Allen should have success next week at home against the Falcons.
I'm not sure if he's not used to cold weather (or playing in snow) but he was throwing so many ducks up there and the Packers refused to catch them.

Idk, I'm pretty impressed. Really think he may have "it". Is he ever gonna be elite? No. But he is definitely starting caliber material in the NFL. Just gotta be patient and wait for the decision making to develop. He still needs to learn to throw the ball away a bit more.

Some of the throws that dude was making yesterday were outstanding. The final drive down the field, one pass to Olsen on a slant toward the sideline. Dude had tight coverage with a GB defender about 5-6 yards above, below and toward middle of field. Allen drops it in perfectly toward the sideline for Olsen to make the catch. Was beautiful.

ShamrockPride said:
Some of the throws that dude was making yesterday were outstanding. The final drive down the field, one pass to Olsen on a slant toward the sideline. Dude had tight coverage with a GB defender about 5-6 yards above, below and toward middle of field. Allen drops it in perfectly toward the sideline for Olsen to make the catch. Was beautiful.
That throw was sick. 

I was impressed.  He avoided at least three losses on what appeared sure sacks.  He made three or four outstanding throws.  He also had three or four that were floaters, inexcusable, should have been picks.  Still, cold weather game in Green Bay against a sporadic and erratic defense, but one capable of big plays.  I thought he did very well.  I will be following him with interest to see if he keeps it up or even progresses.

Allen allows them to run their offense and keep everything on time if that makes sense. He executes the play at hand and keeps their playmakers involved. It just feels like an NFL offense instead of waiting for Cam to make a play with his legs to keep the drive alive or watching him struggle with the timing of the offense.

King of the Jungle said:
Allen allows them to run their offense and keep everything on time if that makes sense. He executes the play at hand and keeps their playmakers involved. It just feels like an NFL offense instead of waiting for Cam to make a play with his legs to keep the drive alive or watching him struggle with the timing of the offense.
Apparently my endorsement was a curse.

Kyle Allen completed 31-of-50 passes for 325 scoreless yards and four interceptions in the Panthers' 29-3, Week 11 loss to the Falcons.

One of the worst quarterback performances of the season, Allen also absorbed five sacks, taking one of them on fourth down in the first half, and also was called for intentional grounding in the fourth quarter. Three of his four interceptions were in the red zone, with Allen throwing the ball right to Atlanta defenders and overthrowing his pass-catchers. Allen is young, but he doesn't look anything like a potential quarterback of the future for this team. The 5-5 Panthers go to New Orleans in Week 12 where Allen will be a bottom-barrel QB2.

Would you trade for him in a 2QB league? I want to say yes but also the question of do the Panthers keep him as the No.1 next year, what happens to Cam, etc?

Football Outsiders currently has that game by Allen rated as the worst they have ever seen, going back to the late '80s, in terms of Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. 30+ years. I only needed to start him for ONE WEEK. Fun hobby.

Mason Rudolph 2.0, this guys is awful. 
Rudolph is better, probably by a decent margin. Allen has as good of weapons as any QB in the league at his disposal, between CMC, Moore, Samuel, and Olsen. Rudolph has a never healthy Conner, a never healthy JuJu, and some talented but raw WR's. 

Would you trade for him in a 2QB league? I want to say yes but also the question of do the Panthers keep him as the No.1 next year, what happens to Cam, etc?
They'd be nuts to start Allen next year. More likely he doesn't finish this season as the starter, than he begins next year as one.

Kyle Allen completed 23-of-36 attempts for 256 yards and three touchdowns in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Saints.

It was a strong performance for Allen after last week's four-interception game, and he gave the Panthers a chance to take the lead with two minutes left on the clock, yet was foiled by a short missed kick by Joey Slye. Allen hit a beautiful deep shot to D.J. Moore for a 52-yard score and saw another endzone shot draw a defensive pass interference. He did take four sacks, but the Panthers dealt with multiple offensive line injuries and Allen calmly dealt with pressure on multiple occasions. We expect Allen to hold down the starting job for the rest of the season, but he surely will not be the Panthers primary plan for 2020.

Kyle Allen completed 27-of-46 passes for 278 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Panthers' Week 13 home loss to the Redskins.

Allen was fine in terms of fantasy -- he also had a garbage-time rushing touchdown -- but he was awful for the Panthers. It's inexcusable to lose at home to the tanking Redskins with the amount of weapons Allen has around him. Allen missed a wide-open long touchdown to Curtis Samuel and gave up 65 yards on seven sacks. The Panthers seem unwilling to give rookie QB Will Grier starts, but Allen needs to play better to guarantee a switch isn't eventually made. It's become clear that Allen isn't a franchise quarterback despite early-season praise by some other analysts. Allen, however, will be on the QB2 fantasy radar against the Falcons next week.

Kyle Allen completed 28-of-41 passes attempts for 293 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions, and one lost fumble in the Panthers' Week 14 loss to the Falcons.

Allen was a fine fantasy play -- he added a garbage-time goal-line rushing touchdown -- but he completely tanked any chance the Panthers had at winning in Atlanta. Allen took five sacks for 48 yards, was inaccurate as a passer, and didn't elevate his teammates. Instead, he racked up meaningless production down multiple scores thanks to Christian McCaffrey, D.J. Moore, and Ian Thomas making plays. Carolina should see what they have in rookie QB Will Grier but that hasn't been discussed publicly. Allen will be a low-end QB2 against the Seahawks at home next week.

Kyle Allen completed 25-of-41 passes for 277 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions while also scrambling for 25 yards on five carries Sunday in the Panthers’ Week 15 loss to the Seahawks.

He was dropped for eight yards on his lone sack. Even with Seattle's secondary running on fumes—Shaquill Griffin didn't dress while safety Quandree Diggs was lost to a third-quarter ankle injury—Allen still couldn't get the job done Sunday, at one point committing three interceptions (all to linebackers) in a span of five plays. He was nearly charged with a fourth INT (it would have been a pick-six) but the call was later overturned. To Allen's credit, the 23-year-old showed impressive resiliency down the stretch, cutting Carolina's deficit to six with 3:14 remaining in the fourth quarter. He showed excellent mobility on his lone touchdown pass, escaping the pocket before threading the needle to a wide-open Curtis Samuel for the five-yard score. Turnovers have been Allen's undoing recently as the former Houston Cougar has thrown an embarrassing 15 interceptions over his last eight starts. The 5-9 Panthers will take a six-game losing streak into next week's game in Indianapolis.
:X    :yucky:    :toilet:

Panthers coach Perry Fewell said he'll make a decision Wednesday on the team's starting quarterback.

It's a shift from the norm as Fewell had no issues immediately committing to Kyle Allen last Monday. The signal caller's three interceptions in as many possessions on Sunday probably has something to do with it. Allen has thrown six picks and fumbled five times (losing two) in his last three games, paving the way for third-rounder Will Grier to inevitably make his first career start in Week 16 against the Colts. The rookie performed poorly this preseason, completing 34-of-61 passes for 385 yards and 6.3 yards per attempt, but his presence at the very least allows the new regime to evaluate their situation under center moving forward.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Dec 16, 2019, 12:20 PM ET

Panthers re-signed Kyle Allen to a one-year, $585,000 contract.

An exclusive rights free agent, Allen unexpectedly made 12 starts for the Panthers last year but fell flat with a 62 percent completion rate, 17 touchdowns, and 22 turnovers (including 15 picks) in that stretch. While his interim performance wouldn't normally deem a second opportunity under center, Carolina's ongoing evaluations and presumed rebuild give the 24-year-old a shot to start if Cam Newton isn't cleared for game action. The Panthers could still opt to draft a replacement in April's draft, too.

SOURCE: Around the NFL on Twitter

Mar 10, 2020, 11:28 AM ET

First bad move I think they have made with the new regime. I just don't get it. I know he's coming in as the backup, but why give a 5th for that?!? ughh  :sadbanana:

That's kind of what I'd expect for Cam Newton. I wonder if CAR did a bait and switch lol
When the Panthers signed Walker, I thought in my head, some team should throw a 7th rounder out and see if they can snag Will Grier. 

This makes me think Tua is not the pick at #2, and something should happen before the draft with Alex Smith, who is another QB I'd be interested in on the cheap, with health provisions in the trade/contract.

First bad move I think they have made with the new regime. I just don't get it. I know he's coming in as the backup, but why give a 5th for that?!? ughh  :sadbanana:
Riveria is familiar with him so I understand a little bit. Kyle had an awesome stretch before the wheels fell off so maybe Riveria knows something we don't. Having a veteranish quarterback can help a young guy tremendously. 

Riveria is familiar with him so I understand a little bit. Kyle had an awesome stretch before the wheels fell off so maybe Riveria knows something we don't. Having a veteranish quarterback can help a young guy tremendously. 
I hope you are right. Just doubt the Panthers would have turned down a 6th or 7th for him. And I doubt he had anyone else trying to acquire him. 

Users who are viewing this thread