What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (2 Viewers)

Like, there are morons working in the NFL aren't there? I swear, coaching and management in pro sports generally is full of lucky chancers who live off other people's talent.

Hard to swallow now, but big picture I love this pick. Cousins is really on a 3 YR, $135M deal. Packer playbook move.

Hard to swallow now, but big picture I love this pick. Cousins is really on a 3 YR, $135M deal. Packer playbook move.
This was a stupid pick.
Packers never used a top 10 pick to make this move.

There is a gulf of value between pick #8 and a late first.
True, and very true.

I like Penix and think he has a high floor and underappreciated upside. Macro view, if this locks up having a solid QB for the next 10-15 years, I don't care what pick it took to make it happen.

According to NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, Kirk Cousin’s agent was not told that the Falcons planned to draft Michael Penix with the eighth pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Speaking during NFL Network’s live draft coverage, Jeremiah mentioned that he reached out to Cousin’s agent, Mike McCartney, who said that neither he nor Cousins were given a heads-up by the Falcons that they were going to take Penix. Considering the Falcons just signed Cousins to a four-year, $180 million contract, the fact that the Falcons would draft a quarterback in the first round and also not tell Cousins is doubly shocking. Penix is also one of the older quarterbacks in the class at 24 years old, so he’ll be 28 by the time Cousins’ contract is over. This certainly doesn’t seem like a situation where the Falcons plan to have both players on the roster for a long time, but what their exact plan is remains anybody’s guess.

According to NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, Kirk Cousin’s agent was not told that the Falcons planned to draft Michael Penix with the eighth pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Speaking during NFL Network’s live draft coverage, Jeremiah mentioned that he reached out to Cousin’s agent, Mike McCartney, who said that neither he nor Cousins were given a heads-up by the Falcons that they were going to take Penix. Considering the Falcons just signed Cousins to a four-year, $180 million contract, the fact that the Falcons would draft a quarterback in the first round and also not tell Cousins is doubly shocking. Penix is also one of the older quarterbacks in the class at 24 years old, so he’ll be 28 by the time Cousins’ contract is over. This certainly doesn’t seem like a situation where the Falcons plan to have both players on the roster for a long time, but what their exact plan is remains anybody’s guess.
not sure you can really tell him prior to the pick as you don't want to run the risk of word getting out

Like, there are morons working in the NFL aren't there? I swear, coaching and management in pro sports Generally is full of lucky chancers who live off other people's talent.
It's not just the NFL. I've worked in Corporate America since '94. I've probably worked at a dozen big companies either as a contractor or full time. My summation is this - people "at the top" really only have one skill: endurance. They are willing to stay through the bull**** that other people aren't and they end up being the last person standing.

Something not mentioned here is how unhappy Penix is and will be. He went from being a sure starter to a benchwarmer for YEARS while his classmates are performing and increasing their value. And he’s sitting there watching his career being wasted.

Something not mentioned here is how unhappy Penix is and will be. He went from being a sure starter to a benchwarmer for YEARS while his classmates are performing and increasing their value. And he’s sitting there watching his career being wasted.
Said Aaron Rodgers.

Of course it's not great for Penix. But that's short term vision. It may work out very well.

Said Aaron Rodgers.

Of course it's not great for Penix. But that's short term vision. It may work out very well.
Penix is probably only sitting for 1 year.

Said Aaron Rodgers.

what a colossal error by super villain blank’s falcons. penix is 24 in 2 weeks. realistically, cousins has a 3 year deal, unless you want 90mm in dead cap now, 50mm in 2025 or 25mm in 2026. you only have 12.5mm dead after the 3rd year, but then penix is 27 having not played with a decision on his expiring rookie deal looming. at least by sitting for 3 years he can’t retear his ACLs or dislocate his shoulders. so there’s that.

Said Aaron Rodgers.

I always love the hypocrisy with QBs.
They need to sit. The game's too fast and offenses too complex.
They need to play. Ya can't hand someone experience.

They can play til they're 40.
How many years are you really gonna get out of a 25 year old QB prospect?

There's a million of em

He'll just have to find a way to enjoy his multimillion dollar salary. It's gonna be rough but I think he can do it

Said Aaron Rodgers.

what a colossal error by super villain blank’s falcons. penix is 24 in 2 weeks. realistically, cousins has a 3 year deal, unless you want 90mm in dead cap now, 50mm in 2025 or 25mm in 2026. you only have 12.5mm dead after the 3rd year, but then penix is 27 having not played with a decision on his expiring rookie deal looming. at least by sitting for 3 years he can’t retear his ACLs or dislocate his shoulders. so there’s that.
I didn't like the pick at all yesterday.
I don't generally like QBs sitting and everyone seemed to be in agreement in a very unusual way.
Pat Kirwan said something like- if not Blank then someone said, someone said "don't ever let this happen again" about the QB room and that's what Fontenot did.
It's a guess but...I can imagine it too.

I said it a few times this off-season Fontenot is exceptional about getting types of players he's asked to. I love the unselfishness.

Falcons need defense and DL and they are readily available in the second. Later in the draft, unless you like Rattler, there doesn't seem to be a QB they'd want to develop.

Don't get me wrong. I still wouldn't do it, but I suppose I can see some logic to it now

Kirk Cousins job hasn't changed. It's playoffs. 10-7 in that conference gets them there.
What he does this year determines what happens next year.

Reactions: Bri
Like, there are morons working in the NFL aren't there? I swear, coaching and management in pro sports Generally is full of lucky chancers who live off other people's talent.
It's not just the NFL. I've worked in Corporate America since '94. I've probably worked at a dozen big companies either as a contractor or full time. My summation is this - people "at the top" really only have one skill: endurance. They are willing to stay through the bull**** that other people aren't and they end up being the last person standing.

AKA: "Failing Upward"...

not sure you can really tell him prior to the pick as you don't want to run the risk of word getting out
Was anyone going to trade up to 1.07 to snipe Penix?

Was anyone going to trade up to 1.07 to snipe Penix?
possibly. a lot of teams were reportedly interested. who knows if the reports are accurate or not but no reason to take the risk

Kirk Cousins job hasn't changed. It's playoffs. 10-7 in that conference gets them there.
What he does this year determines what happens next year.
but if they eat cousins next year isn’t it a 50mm cap hit?
Do you mean 2025 cut? Post June 1st that would be $40 Million.
post 6/1, but those things confuse me…..either way, don’t draft a guy if you need to take a 40-50mm cap hit to have him play. i am shuked.

The four seasons prior to the Packers selecting Rodgers with a late first they went 12-4, 12-4, 10-6 and 10-6 making the playoffs each of those years.

The Falcons, on the other hand, haven’t gotten over .500 or made playoffs in the past 6 seasons.

You don’t use a top 10 pick on QB after making Cousins the 7th highest paid qb.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread