What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (3 Viewers)

On KFAN yesterday I heard 2years/70 mil floated. If those are even close to the numbers, this will get done, Jefferson will resign and they can still maneuver to get a QBOTF in the draft.

Kirk Cousins posted a video to social media of him dropping back and throwing four months after surgery on his torn Achilles.

In two short videos, Cousins can be seen dropping back several steps and throwing the ball to his intended target. While he’s only four months removed from surgery, Cousins looked comfortable with his motions and said he’s “encouraged by the progress.” Unless he strikes a deal with the Vikings in the coming weeks, Cousins will be a free agent next month and could be playing for a new team heading into his age-36 season. In just eight games last year, Cousins threw for 2,331 yards, 18 touchdowns, and five interceptions while completing 69.5 percent of his passes. He’ll be a coveted player on the open market by any team in need of an upgrade behind center.

Speaking on the Pat McAfee Show, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said “maybe Washington jumps in” to try and sign Kirk Cousins this offseason.
According to Schefter, the Commanders are “open to anything” with the No. 2 overall pick, including making a trade back to acquire additional picks. This isn’t the first time Cousin’s name has been linked to Washington, who he spent the first six years of his career with. Schefter also noted that the Vikings and Falcons are expected to be the two primary suitors for Cousins, but it’s worth noting that Cousins’ departure from Washington back in 2018 had more to do with the regime in place at that time not wanting to commit to him long-term. With those characters now gone, an enticing offer from the Commanders could be enough to bring him back if he’s interested in doing so.

Speaking on the Pat McAfee Show, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said “maybe Washington jumps in” to try and sign Kirk Cousins this offseason.
According to Schefter, the Commanders are “open to anything” with the No. 2 overall pick, including making a trade back to acquire additional picks. This isn’t the first time Cousin’s name has been linked to Washington, who he spent the first six years of his career with. Schefter also noted that the Vikings and Falcons are expected to be the two primary suitors for Cousins, but it’s worth noting that Cousins’ departure from Washington back in 2018 had more to do with the regime in place at that time not wanting to commit to him long-term. With those characters now gone, an enticing offer from the Commanders could be enough to bring him back if he’s interested in doing so.
If I remember when they left, Cousins' wife hated the DC area. I don't see him coming back here.

Not saying he won't sign in Atlanta but the Falcons and Cousins can't be dumb enough to have him shopping for homes a week or two before free agency starts...makes ZERO sense for them to make public their "tampering" (I know it happens but teams/players aren't that stupid)

Not saying he won't sign in Atlanta but the Falcons and Cousins can't be dumb enough to have him shopping for homes a week or two before free agency starts...makes ZERO sense for them to make public their "tampering" (I know it happens but teams/players aren't that stupid)
Did the Falcons, Vikings, or Cousins himself divulge his home shopping, or was it just some beat writer or some other idle speculator? My guess would be one of the latter groups.

Did the Falcons, Vikings, or Cousins himself divulge his home shopping, or was it just some beat writer or some other idle speculator? My guess would be one of the latter groups.
:goodposting:

This is Kirk Cousins doing the UFA dance steps, undermining any narrative (or actual belief by Vikes) that he'll take less to avoid uprooting. Any savvy UFA would have this type of info leaked.

:goodposting:

This is Kirk Cousins doing the UFA dance steps, undermining any narrative (or actual belief by Vikes) that he'll take less to avoid uprooting. Any savvy UFA would have this type of info leaked.
I believe I heard it was Florio. I did not hear it myself but was listening to another podcast that said it was. I listen to so many I do not recall which one.

No one cares in the NFL about tampering a week or two before FA. The combine has been the unofficial start of FA for years now, never seen or heard of team filing tampering charges over FA talk post-combine. Was not a coincidence that Mike Evans signed right after the combine which was followed by reports of the teams that had interest in him including a report the NE found out he was not interested in them and apparently Baker is not either. You only find that out when you are tampering, no one cares.

Career Earnings .... $231,469,288 to date. Next contract will be about 3 yrs for $90M. So he'll earn $320M in 15 years. That's impressive for a QB that is 1-4 in the playoffs.

Yeah, I think this is exactly right. It's just a ploy, planting a psychological seed & how he operates. To me it only makes sense if the two sides are close. The team isn't bluffing, he either signs with them or tests the market, he can't do both. If the team believes they're better than they were a few seasons ago then they probably make a push for Cousins. If not & with him turning 36, moving on is imminent anyway. I'm convinced Cousins benefitted a great deal with the hiring of Kevin O'Connell. Mac Jones' time in New England didn't lend itself to his development at all.

Some of the bad decisions & throws, easily correctable. Accordingly, the Patriots tried to move Jones last year & the asking price is said to be a 5th RD draft pick. My understanding is that they'd get him on the cheap which wouldn't encumber a plan that included drafting a guy. They have this QB guru of a HC & the best they can come up with is to throw more money at the position? I suppose, but it's not what I'd do.

They have this QB guru of a HC & the best they can come up with is to throw more money at the position? I suppose, but it's not what I'd do.
As a Vikes fan I hope they sign Cousins and draft McCarthy at pick 11 (hope he makes it there). Let McCarthy learn for a year behind Cousins and then go from there. I think that is the best case scenario for future Viking success.

They have this QB guru of a HC & the best they can come up with is to throw more money at the position? I suppose, but it's not what I'd do.
As a Vikes fan I hope they sign Cousins and draft McCarthy at pick 11 (hope he makes it there). Let McCarthy learn for a year behind Cousins and then go from there. I think that is the best case scenario for future Viking success.
I don't think McCarthy is going to be there at pick 11. I expect 4 QB to be gone by then.

I don't want the Vikings tying up cap space 3 years from now and I don't think the Vikings do either, so this may be the deal breaker. Another team will give Kirk what he wants.

I heard somewhere that his wife is from Atlanta area(which is probably the whole state of Georgia as people say) so it's probably an out to tampering as it's presented now.

I like a team saying they want someone. I like that conviction from time to time. In this instance I think it might be music to Falcons fans ears

Yeah, I wonder though if this is a possible outcome. If Cousins has options, I'm somewhat confident he's not signing a bridge year deal or making it easy or economic to have him holding a clip board in year 2. If they can do something like this it would be great. Unheard of in this franchise who refuses to have succession planning at QB as an M.O. The two settings for this franchise are (1) Surefire starter/draftee who has no qualified backup, and (2) Empty cupboard desperation. I'd say having Case Keenum succeed as a backup was more an exception that proves the rule than meaningful. Pretty sure his success surprised everyone.

I like what Bia & Jim have added. Also, mentioned elsewhere is that the Vikings brought in Josh McCown to serve as QB coach. He coached Drake Maye in high school & it was reported a few days ago that they were very impressed with him (Maye). But to get him is going to require some serious draft capital. Adam Schefter I think speculated a move up as a real possibility. The Vikings were also linked to Baker Mayfield. I think they should take that $28.5M hit now & get on with their future.

I like what Bia & Jim have added. Also, mentioned elsewhere is that the Vikings brought in Josh McCown to serve as QB coach. He coached Drake Maye in high school & it was reported a few days ago that they were very impressed with him (Maye). But to get him is going to require some serious draft capital. Adam Schefter I think speculated a move up as a real possibility. The Vikings were also linked to Baker Mayfield. I think they should take that $28.5M hit now & get on with their future.
It definitely would be 'brand' for this front office to fall for the least mobile rookie QB to put in a pocket that doesn't exist.

It definitely would be 'brand' for this front office to fall for the least mobile rookie QB to put in a pocket that doesn't exist.
Perfect! A guy immensely limited shouldn't ever be confused with what he can & cannot do. Trust the process Vikings nation... It's happening!!! :)

NFL Network’s Tom Pelisserro believes it makes sense for Kirk Cousins to “figure out exactly what his market is.”
Speaking on the Rich Eisen Show, Pelissero made it clear that Cousins will have discussions with teams other than Minnesota when the negotiating window opens on Monday. He said he fully expects Atlanta to be involved and named the Broncos as potential suitors as well. Cousins’ current contract automatically voids on Wednesday, accelerating the entirety of its dead cap hit to 2024. The Vikings can prevent that from happening with a new contract, but the date creates a soft deadline for a deal between the two sides. Cousins talking to other teams will help set a price for his talks with the Vikings. If they deem it too high, he will be playing for a new team in 2024.

I still can’t imagine a scenario where he’s not a Viking. Maybe I’m crazy
They might want to move on. The front office staff is an analytical type group or so I read somewhere. That could come into play. A younger QB with a much cheaper contract so they can build around JJ and whoever they get to be their franchise QB which will get them closer to a championship. The good ole addition by subtraction theory.

They might want to move on. The front office staff is an analytical type group or so I read somewhere. That could come into play. A younger QB with a much cheaper contract so they can build around JJ and whoever they get to be their franchise QB which will get them closer to a championship. The good ole addition by subtraction theory.
If they want to win a Super Bowl, they should move on from Cousins. But if they want to simply win enough games to keep their jobs……well, Cousins looks appealing.

Not sure if the Falcons had any interest in Russ, but options are dwindling for them and probably increase the odds of aggressively targeting Cousins.

Last edited:
Are they dwindling? The only QB off the market is Baker Mayfield. Fields and Cousins are still out there for the taking. Brissett too who would be a sneaky upgrade for them. Wilson who would be a yuck upgrade. McCarthy, Penix or Nix are there in the draft. Trade up potential to 1-3 for a hefty price. They have options. The only player no longer there is Mayfield.

Are they dwindling? The only QB off the market is Baker Mayfield. Fields and Cousins are still out there for the taking. Brissett too who would be a sneaky upgrade for them. Wilson who would be a yuck upgrade. McCarthy, Penix or Nix are there in the draft. Trade up potential to 1-3 for a hefty price. They have options. The only player no longer there is Mayfield.
Depends on what their needs are in the new system. Seems like Arthur's mandate is to get a credible option that can unlock the surrounding talent. I doubt they want to go the untested rookie route (again). Not sure if they believe Fields can unlock the talent. Brissett is an interesting fallback option, but Cousins is the big game. But Minnesota may not want to deal with finding their own substandard alternative, so it will be interesting.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
Kirk Cousins will hit free agency and begin discussions with Atlanta as soon as the tampering window opens in 90 minutes, per sources.

If they want to win a Super Bowl, they should move on from Cousins. But if they want to simply win enough games to keep their jobs……well, Cousins looks appealing.
If they want to win a Super Bowl, they should sign Cousins to a 2 yr deal and draft McCarthy and let him sit for a year or two (depending on how he develops). Learn from Cousins/O'Connell and go from there.

If they want to win a Super Bowl, they should sign Cousins to a 2 yr deal and draft McCarthy and let him sit for a year or two (depending on how he develops). Learn from Cousins/O'Connell and go from there.
Now THAT would make some sense. Good thought.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
Kirk Cousins will hit free agency and begin discussions with Atlanta as soon as the tampering window opens in 90 minutes, per sources.
Gotta give Kirk credit as a businessman. Never leaving a dollar on the table.
But, in fairness to Kirk, he has outplayed every single contract he has signed...
It wasn’t a criticism 😏
Some people see it that way. Didn't mean to imply you did.

Wow!! That's crazy that somebody wants a 40 year old Kirk Cousins on contract without knowing how he's going to fair coming off that injury.

But good for him, I guess this sets up Justin Fields to the Raiders then? Or is that guy gonna be stuck holding the clipboard for Williams?

:lol:

So the guaranteed part, $45M for '24 & '25, plus a $50M signing bonus? Or, is it included, and what about yearly salary? I know it's easy to assume 45per but it has the look of a 3-yr deal. Or even just two years.

Users who are viewing this thread