What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (2 Viewers)

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Raiders could pursue Jimmy Garoppolo in free agency.​

As Graziano notes in his articles, the Raiders are very much in play for Aaron Rodgers, but Garoppolo could be the backup plan if a deal to land Rodgers never materializes. According to Graziano, "a lot of people in Indianapolis" expect the Raiders to make a run for Garoppolo, who is familiar with GM Dave Ziegler and head coach Josh McDaniels from their time together in New England. Garoppolo will draw interest from a number of quarterback-needy teams this offseason, but the 31-year-old vet has struggled to stay healthy in recent years and hasn't played a full season's worth of games since 2019.
SOURCE: ESPN
Mar 5, 2023, 3:56 PM ET

CBS' Jonathan Jones reports there is a "push within the building" for the Texans to sign Jimmy Garoppolo.

In this scenario, Garoppolo would caretake a rookie quarterback drafted "at some point" in the first round. We can't imagine that rookie quarterback would be a top-five pick, but connecting the dots from Garoppolo to Texans OC Bobby Slowik and head coach DeMeco Ryans is pretty easy. Garoppolo was also drafted by the Patriots under GM Nick Caserio. "Garoppolo will have to want to go to Houston, though," Jones adds. It's possible that his market comes down to just the Raiders and Texans if the Jets are able to complete an Aaron Rodgers trade.
SOURCE: CBS
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:36 PM ET

I don’t quite get the Texans rumors for either side.
Distraction/ misinformation/ clouding draft strategy—> simple “Coach Speak” efforts.
Everyone knows Texans are not set with Davis Mills but maybe they are deferring to 2024 for Caleb Williams QB ??

They're the frontrunner right now and where it sounds like he'll most likely end up.
But why? Makes little sense. Unless they hate the QB options in the draft and are gonna go with Anderson. Seems rather unlikely though.
I'm guessing so they can draft a rookie and let him sit and develop for a year or two. Seems like a good idea to me.

They're the frontrunner right now and where it sounds like he'll most likely end up.
But why? Makes little sense. Unless they hate the QB options in the draft and are gonna go with Anderson. Seems rather unlikely though.
I'm guessing so they can draft a rookie and let him sit and develop for a year or two. Seems like a good idea to me.
why would Jimmy G sign a contract under those circumstances? Plus, they're gonna be paying him a lot of money to be a dead man walking and then backup QB

why would Jimmy G sign a contract under those circumstances? Plus, they're gonna be paying him a lot of money to be a dead man walking and then backup QB
Exactly. Why would he do that?

Agree. Jimmy isn’t going to do well there. In SF, he had a ton of weapons and was still marginal. Texans might as well let Davis Mills have another year while they groom the QB they draft this year.

Agree. Jimmy isn’t going to do well there. In SF, he had a ton of weapons and was still marginal. Texans might as well let Davis Mills have another year while they groom the QB they draft this year.
Agreed - the whole reason he wanted out of SF was to be a starter. He sees himself as a starting QB, who’s taken a team to the SB & NFCC. He wants to be a starter, not a bridge guy.

Now, if the Texans wanted to sign JimmyG & deal the 1.02 for a bundle like the Bears received from the Panthers to say, Raiders or Falcons, that would make all kinds of sense.

But this feels like lazy sportswriters identifying a connection between Ryans and JimmyG and running with it.

Sorta has that 2022 ARod to the Broncos feel to it.

why would Jimmy G sign a contract under those circumstances?
Does Jimmy have a lot of options? Not rhetorical, I don't know if he does or not.
I think due to so many direct ties to coaching staff/GM's who could use a QB I would say yes. A lot up in the air with some of those places but you got Jets if Rodgers spurns them, Raiders, Texans(though I don't think you need him if you take Stroud or Young, yes if Richardson) and more of a long shot but Dolphins with McDaniels connection if they want Tua insurance comp but again I don't see that one.

Then you got teams with no connection but a need, like Colts and Washington. As he's most likely the top FA QB other then Lamar I think he has a lot of good options.

why would Jimmy G sign a contract under those circumstances?
Does Jimmy have a lot of options? Not rhetorical, I don't know if he does or not.
I think due to so many direct ties to coaching staff/GM's who could use a QB I would say yes. A lot up in the air with some of those places but you got Jets if Rodgers spurns them, Raiders, Texans(though I don't think you need him if you take Stroud or Young, yes if Richardson) and more of a long shot but Dolphins with McDaniels connection if they want Tua insurance comp but again I don't see that one.

Then you got teams with no connection but a need, like Colts and Washington. As he's most likely the top FA QB other then Lamar I think he has a lot of good options.
Or just plain teams that need a QB, like the Bucs or Falcons where he would be an immediate upgrade.

Always thought he'd have good interest from teams he has connections with coaching staff or GM who are in need.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
·
3m

When the negotiating window for free agency opens in under an hour, the Texans and Raiders are expected to pursue former 49ers’ QB Jimmy Garoppolo, per league sources. Jets also could get in, but they’re in wait-and-see mode right now.

Always thought he'd have good interest from teams he has connections with coaching staff or GM who are in need.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m

When the negotiating window for free agency opens in under an hour, the Texans and Raiders are expected to pursue former 49ers’ QB Jimmy Garoppolo, per league sources. Jets also could get in, but they’re in wait-and-see mode right now.

Jets and Raiders make sense...not sure why he would want to go to Houston where he could end up a backup right from game 1 depending on what they do at the draft.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m

Jets and Raiders make sense...not sure why he would want to go to Houston where he could end up a backup right from game 1 depending on what they do at the draft.
I'm putting Raiders as the favorite but if he went to Houston I'd venture to guess he is promised that won't happen and perhaps would mean they don't go QB at 2, maybe move back instead.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m

I'm putting Raiders as the favorite but if he went to Houston I'd venture to guess he is promised that won't happen and perhaps would mean they don't go QB at 2, maybe move back instead.

Agreed...and I think that would be a horrible move by the Texans...just get your young QB and move forward.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders are "expected to be in on" Jimmy Garoppolo.​

Nothing really new to see here, as the Raiders have been viewed as a landing spot for Garoppolo throughout much of the offseason. There's likely some added steam to this report with Aaron Rodgers appearing on the verge of going to the Jets, but the Raiders need an upgrade at quarterback regardless. Garoppolo spent his early days as a Patriot under Josh McDaniels and would have familiarity with the Raiders' offensive system.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 13, 2023, 12:02 PM ET

Raiders signed QB Jimmy Garoppolo, formerly of the 49ers, to a three-year, $67.5 million contract.​

Garoppolo officially reunites with Josh McDaniels in Vegas, in a move the Raiders desperately needed to happen after cutting ties with Derek Carr and failing to land Aaron Rodgers. Oh, and they also lost Jarrett Stidham, another McDaniels disciple, to the Broncos just hours into free agency. A proven vet who spent six seasons with the 49ers and appeared in a Super Bowl, Garoppolo is 40-17 in his career as a starter and is fifth in EPA per play (0.214) among quarterbacks over the last three seasons. Still, this feels like a move that does little to improve the Raiders in the long haul, with the lone positive being his familiarity with McDaniels' offense.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 13, 2023, 1:50 PM ET

Quincy Carrier
@Kwen_C

"let's move on from derek carr to get a less capable and more injury prone of derek carr" - Josh McDaniels (a guy who people still genuinely think is a genius despite overwhelming evidence of the opposite)
Quincy Carrier@Kwen_C
a NFL team just basically said "i'd rather sign the injury prone guy that got out played by Brock Purdy then kick the tires on a former NFL MVP who is 5 years younger" this feels like some NFL owners outright told their GMs they aren't allowed to pursue Lamar Jackson

Quincy Carrier
@Kwen_C

"let's move on from derek carr to get a less capable and more injury prone of derek carr" - Josh McDaniels (a guy who people still genuinely think is a genius despite overwhelming evidence of the opposite)
Quincy Carrier@Kwen_C
a NFL team just basically said "i'd rather sign the injury prone guy that got out played by Brock Purdy then kick the tires on a former NFL MVP who is 5 years younger" this feels like some NFL owners outright told their GMs they aren't allowed to pursue Lamar Jackson
So many levels of disingenuous.
how about…adding a giant “AT HALF THE PRICE” when comparing Jimmy to Carr? Even if they get the same exact results and record on the field with Jimmy, it hopefully means they used that other $20million dollars to finally upgrade the defense.
outplayed by Brock Purdy? C’mon. Dude busted his ankle and then Purdy came in and, admittedly, played great. But it’s not like Jimmy wasn’t winning games either with that star studded lineup.
and, yeah, go kick the tires on a former MVP QB….who will literally need to be signed to the biggest QB contract in history and then, once again, not be able to improve the D with some key signings.

not sure why I’m “defending” Jimmy…heck, or the raiders, since it’s been nothing but letdowns for 2+ decades…but those 2 quotes are bonkers.

The Raiders officially announced the signing of QB Jimmy Garoppolo.​

The deal is worth $72.8 million over three years. This move was originally reported on Monday, but Garoppolo hadn't signed his contract as of Thursday evening. The Raiders postponed his debut press conference while the deal was still technically not done. It's possible the two sides were still working on some minor details of the contract, but it never appeared to be at serious risk of following through. For Raiders fans who were fearing a debacle was in the works, it's time to exhale. Garoppolo may not be the team's long-term answer at quarterback, but he does offer the team stability as they exit the Derek Carr era. It also allows them to forgo drafting a quarterback this year. However, the Raiders don't have enough money committed to Garoppolo to completely take them out of the quarterback conversation with the No. 7 overall pick.
Mar 17, 2023, 2:57 PM ET

Quincy Carrier
@Kwen_C

Quincy Carrier@Kwen_C
So many levels of disingenuous.
how about…adding a giant “AT HALF THE PRICE” when comparing Jimmy to Carr? Even if they get the same exact results and record on the field with Jimmy, it hopefully means they used that other $20million dollars to finally upgrade the defense.
outplayed by Brock Purdy? C’mon. Dude busted his ankle and then Purdy came in and, admittedly, played great. But it’s not like Jimmy wasn’t winning games either with that star studded lineup.
and, yeah, go kick the tires on a former MVP QB….who will literally need to be signed to the biggest QB contract in history and then, once again, not be able to improve the D with some key signings.

not sure why I’m “defending” Jimmy…heck, or the raiders, since it’s been nothing but letdowns for 2+ decades…but those 2 quotes are bonkers.
I don't know where you get off, questioning @Kwen_C. You know he has a YouTube channel, right?

Perhaps you didn't hear me: HE HAS A YOUTUBE CHANNEL. Yeah, maybe check yourself, @joey

The Athletic's Tashan Reed reports Jimmy Garoppolo underwent foot surgery after signing with the Raiders.​

Garoppolo is expected to miss the Raiders' OTAs. Reed said Jimmy G's recovery timeline is unknown but "the sense is that the team is confident he'll be ready to play by the start of the regular season." Head coach Josh McDaniels wouldn't answer directly on Thursday when asked if Garoppolo had undergone surgery on the foot he injured late last season. It's curious timing for such a procedure -- four months after Garoppolo suffered the injury against the Dolphins in Week 13. Garoppolo, who has missed 31 games over the past four seasons, has a long history of strange timing for surgical procedures. Brian Hoyer or rookie QB Aidan O'Connell could get starts for the down-bad Raiders if Garoppolo isn't ready for the regular season. Tom Brady's involvement with the Raiders could take on renewed interest too.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tashan Reed on Twitter
May 25, 2023, 12:31 PM ET

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the chances Tom Brady starts for Las Vegas this season have to be at least like 30% right?

I don't think he's coming back. I think he's really hung them up. He knows -- of all people -- that you can't just roll out of bed and perform on an NFL team. Just doesn't happen.

But as a Davante Adams GM, I sure hope so.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the chances Tom Brady starts for Las Vegas this season have to be at least like 30% right?
It would require approval from the owners but I don't think its' a crazy thought if Jimmy G has a setback of is out for an extended period.

that you can't just roll out of bed and perform on an NFL team.
Mentally he knows the system. Physically I'm not sure he's stopped his diet or training.

The Athletic's Tashan Reed reports Jimmy Garoppolo underwent foot surgery after signing with the Raiders.​

Garoppolo is expected to miss the Raiders' OTAs. Reed said Jimmy G's recovery timeline is unknown but "the sense is that the team is confident he'll be ready to play by the start of the regular season." Head coach Josh McDaniels wouldn't answer directly on Thursday when asked if Garoppolo had undergone surgery on the foot he injured late last season. It's curious timing for such a procedure -- four months after Garoppolo suffered the injury against the Dolphins in Week 13. Garoppolo, who has missed 31 games over the past four seasons, has a long history of strange timing for surgical procedures. Brian Hoyer or rookie QB Aidan O'Connell could get starts for the down-bad Raiders if Garoppolo isn't ready for the regular season. Tom Brady's involvement with the Raiders could take on renewed interest too.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tashan Reed on Twitter
May 25, 2023, 12:31 PM ET
I mean, COME ON!

Users who are viewing this thread