What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (1 Viewer)

JAMEIS WINSTON’S OUTSTANDING TRAINING CAMP SO FAR DEFEATING TWO FAMILIAR FOES
... since the start of training camp, the improvement in decision-making, maturity and understanding of what his role is can all be demonstrated in one statistic:

Nick Underhill
@nick_underhill

Another positive summer for Jameis Winston so far.
Sixty pass attempts in 11-on-11 drills.
Zero interceptions.

This, you may recall, is a quarterback who threw an NFL high 30 interceptions in 2019. After that year the Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided to move on from Winston,

Jameis Winston (back) was limited in Thursday's practice.​

Winston will likely play on Sunday against Tampa Bay, as he's been limited in back-to-back practices. With a pass funnel defense on the other side, Winston makes a sneaky high-end QB2 play. Winston went for 269 yards and two touchdowns against the Falcons in New Orleans' opener.
Sep 15, 2022, 3:59 PM ET

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Jameis Winston (back) is expected to play in Week 2 against the Bucs.​

Winston suffered the injury in Week 1, leaving for the medical tent mid-game before returning with no snaps missed. He then got in three limited practices before being hit with the questionable tag. With Alvin Kamara likely out for this game, the Saints may have no choice but to lean on their banged-up quarterback. The gunslinging passer lands in the QB2 range this week.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 18, 2022, 8:53 AM ET

Hopefully Jameis learns from this. As the QB, it's his job to chill everyone out (including himself) after an emotional thing like the Lattimore/Evans dust-up. He can't be just another guy swept up in the emotion. I know I was at home yelling things directed toward Mike Evans mother and Mike Evans possible parental liniage, so I get that the situation got everyones adrenaline going.

I kind of got used to Brees being that calming influence, and it's one of the reasons why Brees got long-term money and why Jameis doesn't.

Jameis was all jacked up after the fight - and a jacked up Jameis is bad Jameis

Jameis Winston (back) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Coach Dennis Allen said it's the same schedule Winston was on last week at practice. He's coming off a nightmarish Week 2 where he tossed three picks in a 20-10 loss to the Bucs. Winston will be a low-end QB2 in Sunday's tilt with the Panthers.
Sep 21, 2022, 3:54 PM ET

Safe to say Jameis “crab legs” Winston is not quite as cerebral as Drew “HOF” Brees.
At least Jameis isn't as slimy as Brett "dikpic" Farve.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdRD7T6WYAAq9SF?format=jpg&name=large

===============
Sage Rosenfels
@SageRosenfels18

Since retirement, I have been lucky to avoid stealing millions of dollars from the poorest people in my state.
--------------------------
Robert Griffin III
@RGIII

If you are more upset about Ime Udoka and the Celtics situation than Brett Favre STEALING MILLIONS IN WELFARE MONEY FROM THE POOREST PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY IN MISSISSIPPI then you are part of the problem.

Safe to say Jameis “crab legs” Winston is not quite as cerebral as Drew “HOF” Brees.

===============
Sage Rosenfels
@SageRosenfels18

Since retirement, I have been lucky to avoid stealing millions of dollars from the poorest people in my state.
Robert Griffin III
@RGIII

If you are more upset about Ime Udoka and the Celtics situation than Brett Favre STEALING MILLIONS IN WELFARE MONEY FROM THE POOREST PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY IN MISSISSIPPI then you are part of the problem.
In my head when I read that Boston employees suspension I said “I have no idea why they care so much.”
Saying that what does this have to do with football? Or Winston?

===============
Sage Rosenfels
@SageRosenfels18

Robert Griffin III
@RGIII

I’m not more upset about one over the other, nor am I “upset” at all at the moment. Why would I be? That’s projection.

I think Favre is a scumbag for what he did, and I didn’t make any commentary about Winston other than “not as good as Brees”.

And as for me “being part of [the] problem”, I just called the dude crab legs. I didn’t say a single word about Favre in here - but I sure went on a rant about what a scumbag he was in the topic about it.

What a bizarre, illogical, whataboutism, asinine post. Welcome to ignored users. you are an absolute weirdo and a constant nuisance on these forums.

Last edited:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jameis Winston (back) is expected to play in Week 3 against the Panthers.​

Winston is dealing with four fractures in his back and will likely enter Sunday morning as questionable for the foreseeable future. Reports from last week indicated the injury couldn't get worse, so he should play through the questionable tag indefinitely. Winston struggled in Week 2, missing Chris Olave on failed deep shots for the better part of four quarters. Versus a struggling Carolina offense, the Saints may take the air out of the ball and give Winston a light workload in Week 3.
Sep 25, 2022, 9:18 AM ET

Jameis Winston completed 25-of-41 passes for 353 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in the Saints' 22-14, Week 3 loss to the Panthers.

Winston only found success by heaving passes to Tre'Quan Smith and Chris Olave while trailing. Until the game was all but over, it was another disappointing day for Winston. Fittingly, his final play of the day was a deep shot to Olave that was intercepted by Jaycee Horn. Losing Michael Thomas and Jarvis Landry to injuries in the second half certainly didn't help either. Winston has been laboring through fractures in his back and the results haven't been pretty. He will be a volume-based QB2 versus the Vikings next week.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said Jameis Winston would continue as the team's starting quarterback.​

Winston, struggling through broken bones in his back, has been erratic over the past couple games, including Sunday's humiliating loss to the Panthers. "I think everybody, when you get in these situations, is kind of looking for a place to place blame," Allen said. "There's enough mistakes to go around, I don't really want to go there. I feel confident with Jameis." Winston completed 25-of-41 passes for 353 yards, a touchdown, and two picks against Carolina. The Saints don't have fantastic options lined up behind Winston. Neither Andy Dalton nor Taysom Hill represent an upgrade over an injured Winston. The down-bad New Orleans offense could be in a get-right spot next week against a soft Minnesota defense.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Sep 25, 2022, 8:09 PM ET

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said he "doesn't think" Jameis Winston (back) will miss Week 4 against the Vikings.​

Winston did not practice Wednesday as he continues struggling through broken bones in his back. Andy Dalton took first-team snaps Wednesday ahead of the team's Week 4 game in London. Meanwhile, Taysom Hill took quarterback snaps with the Saints' second team. Winston is back to his Tampa Bay form, leading the league in average depth of target and throw of more than 40 yards downfield. Chris Olave, for one, would be hurt by Winston's absence if he can't go this week against Minnesota.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter
Sep 28, 2022, 10:46 AM ET

Jameis Winston (back/ankle) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Winston did not practice at all last week, so the limited session is a step in the right direction. The veteran passer attempted to play through multiple fractures in his back, but things got worse and he was forced to sit. He has been out since Week 3. Andy Dalton has been starting in his place. If Winston is back in the lineup, you can expect more deep shots to Chris Olave and fewer dump-offs to Alvin Kamara, who wasn't doing much with Winston under center.
Oct 12, 2022, 4:43 PM ET

Jameis Winston (back/ankle) is active for Week 6 against the Bengals.​

Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Winston is only active as an emergency option. Andy Dalton is starting again this week, and there are rumblings that he could earn the gig outright with a strong performance this week. That's a tall order for a quarterback missing nearly all of his receivers. Winston should be fully healthy and back in the lineup next week, though that's not a guaranteed outcome.
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Oct 16, 2022, 12:11 PM ET

NewOrleans.football's Nick Underhill reports Jameis Winston (back, ankle) is "still not 100 percent healthy."​

Winston, who hasn't played since Week 3 with a broken back and an ankle issue, might not get the call even if he's able to suit up this week against the Raiders. Andy Dalton would get another start and become an intriguing waiver wire option against one of the NFL's worst secondaries. The Saints QB situation will be one to monitor for fantasy managers scraping bottom for a usable quarterback in Week 8.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter
Oct 26, 2022, 11:06 AM ET

The Athletic's Katherine Terrell believes Jameis Winston (back, ankle) could start in Week 10.​

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said he'll talk to the team's medical staff about whether Winston, battling back and ankle issues, is healthy enough to start against the Rams this week. Andy Dalton's horrific play in Week 10 against the Steelers leaves Allen with little option but to explore his options at quarterback. The volatile Winston was seventh in passing yards through the season’s first three weeks and led all QBs with five interceptions. No one had a higher average depth of target (12) than Winston through Week 3. He should be added in supeflex formats. Winston would be excellent for Chris Olave and borderline disastrous for Alvin Kamara, who was barely a RB2 early in the season with Winston under center.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Katherine Terrell on Twitter
Nov 15, 2022, 11:31 AM ET

The Athletic's Larry Holder writes Jameis Winston's time in New Orleans "is likely up."​

Cutting Winston would save $4.4 million in cap space for the Saints, and cutting him with a post-June 1 designation could save $12.8 million. Winston did not play after a disastrous start in Week 3 and dealt with fractures in his back all season. He may enter 2023 as a backup plan or bridge quarterback for some team, but with the Saints flirting heavily with Derek Carr, it doesn't sound like they will be that team.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 26, 2023, 1:03 PM ET

I hated how last year went for him. He was trying to play early in the year with some significant injuries, really should not have been playing and he performed like a QB that should not have been playing. Then he got healtier later in the year and they still kept him on the bench, felt wrong to me but Allen's a conservative coach and those kind especially can't live with the turnovers. Really a bad fit but I've heard a few interviews from Winston and he never complained about any of it.

Personally, based on his last contract you could probably sign him to be your starter on about $15M a year. And turnovers or not I'd rather pay him $15m then Jones or Carr what they want. If was those teams looking at paying those two a load of money I'd be lining up Winston as backup option 1A if I did not like where those talks are going.

86 games played-80 games started-96 interceptions
It's been a problem during his whole career, his biggest problem. But saying that the year with Arian's risk it or no biscuit philosophy has seriously jacked these numbers up IMO. He seemed to play a lot more in control last year, looked like he might have got some of it coached out of his system. Of course he had 5 int's in his last two starts but again he was beat to hell and should not have been playing. Got hurt in that week one game, was clean in that one.

I think in a normal offense, with 17 starts, he's a 15'sjh INT type of player. Again that's higher then you like, plus he fumbles a lot, but I think he also does a good job of actually moving the ball. I think those turnovers, if you can keep it in that range, are things you can live with he's actually moving the offense and is costing a 1/3rd of what Daniel Jones wants.

I hated how last year went for him. He was trying to play early in the year with some significant injuries, really should not have been playing and he performed like a QB that should not have been playing. Then he got healtier later in the year and they still kept him on the bench, felt wrong to me but Allen's a conservative coach and those kind especially can't live with the turnovers. Really a bad fit but I've heard a few interviews from Winston and he never complained about any of it.

Personally, based on his last contract you could probably sign him to be your starter on about $15M a year. And turnovers or not I'd rather pay him $15m then Jones or Carr what they want. If was those teams looking at paying those two a load of money I'd be lining up Winston as backup option 1A if I did not like where those talks are going.
I'm gonna be on the other side of this argument. I think the Saints staff saw Winston in practice every day in the 2nd half of the season, and determined Dalton was the better QB.

I'm of the belief that between the turnovers, the middling accuracy, and now injury woes, I can't see any reason why Winston should be considered anything more than a middling backup. If teams are looking for a cheap veteran alternative to Jones/Carr, I think they'd be much better served by Jacoby Brissett, or even somebody like Baker Mayfield.

For the cost of these FA QBs, I agree that I would much rather go with Jameis or Darnold than pay up for Jimmy G or Jones. Carr on like the Jets makes sense though since they have a lot of talent already.

he better QB.

I'm of the belief that between the turnovers, the middling accuracy, and now injury woes, I can't see any reason why Winston should be considered anything more than a middling backup. If teams are looking for a cheap veteran alternative to Jones/Carr, I think they'd be much better served by Jacoby Brissett, or even somebody like Baker Mayfield.
I think Baker Mayfield = Taylor Heinicke.
And Heinicke is cheaper.

he better QB.

I think Baker Mayfield = Taylor Heinicke.
And Heinicke is cheaper.
Very well might be, but Mayfield is a few years younger, and did turn it on a little with the Rams. I'd take either over Winston, though ideally neither is in a position to start.

He got benched for Andy Dalton. He done.
I think it was more HC Dennis Allen’s ultra-conservative approach. He is just afraid to risk the TOs
Dalton is a game manager not a player &
Winston might be done. But my rebuild has a roster spot for him to see for a few more weeks…

9News' Mike Klis reports the Broncos may have interest in bringing Jameis Winston in as a backup to Russell Wilson.​

It doesn't look like Winston has much of a market as far as being a bridge starter just yet -- he's expected to be released if he declines a paycut, but is still technically with the Saints. It makes sense for Winston to target a high-upside backup spot. Winston has shown some success with Sean Payton in charge of things, and Wilson was disastrous enough last season that it's not hard to see the Broncos eventually having to bench him. This could be a good landing spot for Jameis.
SOURCE: 9NEWS
Mar 12, 2023, 1:53 PM ET

Saints re-signed QB Jameis Winston to a one-year contract.​

The deal is worth "up to" $8 million, though Winston will likely see just a fraction of that as a backup. Winston and Andy Dalton were both free agents this offseason. With Ian Book as their only other option to back up Carr, bringing back someone with experience in their system makes sense for the Saints. Winston got off to a rocky start in 2022. He threw four touchdowns and five interceptions before going down with a back injury. Saints head coach Dennis Allen eventually said he would not get back to full health at any point in the season. He ultimately kept Andy Dalton in the starting role, partially because of Winston's nagging back issue. Winston offers the Saints plenty of experience and a high level of play for a backup, though his days as a start appear to be over.
Mar 13, 2023, 9:06 PM ET

With Ian Book as their only other option to back up Carr

Someone needs to tell Rap that Ian Book plays for the Eagles.

Users who are viewing this thread