What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (1 Viewer)

Okay I can buy this.  But the unbridled optimism around him starting all year and //out producing Brees// is what grinds my gears.

Don't worry, I'm already throwing my garbage all over the place there too.
If he’s starting all year, it’s likely he isn’t turning the ball over. 

I don’t think it’s that far fetched to think that If he starts all season he’ll out-produce Brees. Brees wasn’t very good lasT season. His arm was shot.

Good god he looked magnificent last night 

Made his reads, had a cannon, displayed (gasp!) touch on short & intermediate throws, didn't have those trademark happy feet in the pocket, was decisive, and (gasp again!) made a couple nice touch tosses to the RB! Lawd have mercy, the Saints have fixed him? 

Last night was a substantial indictment of how terrible Bruce Arians is with young players. No wonder he always seems to prefer vets. Jameis seems to have been fixable the whole time. 
Overreact much? He had a nice half in a preseason game against literally the worst team in the league. This is who he’s always been. He’ll make several great plays in a row and then when the game is on the line he’ll do something galactically stupid. 

Also, that deep ball TD was into double coverage (gasp!) and if the trail DB had any ball skills it would have been picked. 

tangfoot said:
The last time Jameis was a starter, he finished the season as QB3.  Last season, Drew Brees was QB21.
Brees missed four games last year and most of a 5th, so throwing that out there without providing that context seems a bit disingenuous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Overreact much? He had a nice half in a preseason game against literally the worst team in the league. This is who he’s always been. He’ll make several great plays in a row and then when the game is on the line he’ll do something galactically stupid. 

Also, that deep ball TD was into double coverage (gasp!) and if the trail DB had any ball skills it would have been picked. 
The receiver was behind both DBs, and is really fast. Making the throw was the right decision.

He actually threw it a little short, and Callaway did a nice job slowing up to keep his body between the DBs and the ball.

The receiver was behind both DBs, and is really fast. Making the throw was the right decision.

He actually threw it a little short, and Callaway did a nice job slowing up to keep his body between the DBs and the ball.
That’s my point. He underthrew it into double coverage. Can’t take it away. It’s a TD. But, I’m not sure it flies against top tier competition. Anyway, Jameis has never had an issue racking up yards and TDs. He’ll likely be great for fantasy if the Saints can find some reliable receivers. 

That’s my point. He underthrew it into double coverage. Can’t take it away. It’s a TD. But, I’m not sure it flies against top tier competition. Anyway, Jameis has never had an issue racking up yards and TDs. He’ll likely be great for fantasy if the Saints can find some reliable receivers. 
Your point appeared to be that it was a bad decision.  It wasn’t.   The “help” was two steps behind the DB, and the WR had two steps on the DB also.  It was a bad throw - under thrown - but not a bad decision.

Jameis Winston completed 14-of-20 passes for 148 yards and five touchdowns and had 6 carries for 37 yards in the Saints' Week 1 win against the Packers. 

Before Winston connected for a gorgeous 55-yard score with speedster Deonte Harris, he had four touchdown tosses on less than 100 passing yards. He took full advantage of good field position in the first half and hit his pass catchers with pinpoint accuracy, displaying touch he rarely showed in Tampa. The specter of Taysom Hill goal line touches will continue to haunt Winston drafters, but he should be a starter in 12-team leagues most weeks. He'll go against a middling Carolina secondary in Week 2.

I'm hot on Winston specifically because of the breakdown of the massive improvement in his fundamentals/footwork. I've always felt he had massive talent and athletic ability, but he lacked the maturity and/or dedication to improve the basics of his game that he lacked.

He wasn't mentioned in the Waiver Wire recommendations article, and I think that's because the cutoff is 30%? of leagues? I think he's been snapped up. I know I've snapped him up in all 4 of my leagues. He's my only QB in some leagues with 4 points pass/td. He'll face a stronger test in a bit. Suppose I'll see if the FBG breakdown and my gut feeling is correct.

Jameis Winston completed 11-of-22 passes for 111 yards, zero touchdowns and two interceptions in the Saints' 26-7, Week 2 loss to the Panthers, adding three carries for 19 yards and a touchdown. 

It was a horrific game all around for the Saints, who were held to 128 yards of total offense, the lowest of the Sean Payton era and the franchise's worst mark since 1996. Having no established targets hierarchy and shaky protection against a thundering Panthers front seven, Winston was utterly abysmal, with both his interceptions the kind of bone-headed throws he was routinely mocked for in Tampa. INT No. 1 was a desperation heave falling backward that landed in a crowd of three Panthers. No. 2 came after Winston climbed the pocket and blindly chucked the ball down the field. Payton is going to be livid watching the film. Despite Winston's negative play, Taysom Hill mixed in for only two touches. Winston has maybe the worst potential Week 3 bounce-back spot in a road trip to New England. 

SOURCE: Will Bryan on Twitter 

Sep 19, 2021, 4:16 PM ET

line didn't run or pass block, just a bad game all around and it affected Jameis a ton. One thing that is noticeable is defenses are stacking help and Kamara and Callaway and forcing Jameis to make a decision on everyone else. I said it in the game thread, they desperately need TreQuan Smith and the line to give Jameis like 3 seconds, or Jameis will be forced into the bad/late decisions you saw against the Panthers.

line didn't run or pass block, just a bad game all around and it affected Jameis a ton. One thing that is noticeable is defenses are stacking help and Kamara and Callaway and forcing Jameis to make a decision on everyone else. I said it in the game thread, they desperately need TreQuan Smith and the line to give Jameis like 3 seconds, or Jameis will be forced into the bad/late decisions you saw against the Panthers.
That's exactly what he was supposed to have corrected though - his bad decision making.  Rather than throwing it up to nobody he needs to eat the ball.

That's exactly what he was supposed to have corrected though - his bad decision making.  Rather than throwing it up to nobody he needs to eat the ball.
He hasn't started in ages, in a situation where he has limited time and tons of pressure it's hard to fully correct that w/o reps. I mentioned in the game thread he's a work in progress, but they'll watch tape and go over things in practice so he isn't indecisive and walk into those situations that get him back to Tampa Jameis.

Respectfully, that sounds like you are making a lot of excuses for his decision making. The line did not force him to throw those two bonehead picks. It's still only week 2, but maybe the packers are just bad. Maybe carolina is good, and he was never in a high pressure situation last week. Maybe covid screwed this game. I was hot on him, and I'm definitely reigning in my expectations now.

I'm hot on Winston specifically because of the breakdown of the massive improvement in his fundamentals/footwork. I've always felt he had massive talent and athletic ability, but he lacked the maturity and/or dedication to improve the basics of his game that he lacked.

He wasn't mentioned in the Waiver Wire recommendations article, and I think that's because the cutoff is 30%? of leagues? I think he's been snapped up. I know I've snapped him up in all 4 of my leagues. He's my only QB in some leagues with 4 points pass/td. He'll face a stronger test in a bit. Suppose I'll see if the FBG breakdown and my gut feeling is correct.

Well how about now? He's terrible, 4 td passes on 93 yards doesn't change that.

The real Winston lies somewhere in the middle of the week 1 guy and the week 2 guy.  We know he's not as good as he looked week 1 against a Packers team that looked like they wanted to be anywhere else, but he's not as bad as he looked today playing for a team missing a bunch of coaches due to COVID.  His decision making will always be iffy, but the lack of weapons on the perimeter has to be the biggest issue going forward. 

Well how about now? He's terrible, 4 td passes on 93 yards doesn't change that.
Right above your post.

"Respectfully, that sounds like you are making a lot of excuses for his decision making. The line did not force him to throw those two bonehead picks. It's still only week 2, but maybe the packers are just bad. Maybe carolina is good, and he was never in a high pressure situation last week. Maybe covid screwed this game. I was hot on him, and I'm definitely reigning in my expectations now."

The real Winston lies somewhere in the middle of the week 1 guy and the week 2 guy.  We know he's not as good as he looked week 1 against a Packers team that looked like they wanted to be anywhere else, but he's not as bad as he looked today playing for a team missing a bunch of coaches due to COVID.  His decision making will always be iffy, but the lack of weapons on the perimeter has to be the biggest issue going forward. 
This is a really good summation. It's the bad decision-making and breakdown of fundamentals when facing a tougher defense I take issue with. It's impossible to have any idea of where he currently is because of the coaches missing today and the Saints having a day like GB had last week. Decision making appears to be a very real problem for him under pressure. He could get away with desperation plays in college. Not here, and he needs to address it.

Perhaps he is just projects a good image to the media? He seemed like he had matured on the ESPN segment today.

He hasn't started in ages, in a situation where he has limited time and tons of pressure it's hard to fully correct that w/o reps. I mentioned in the game thread he's a work in progress, but they'll watch tape and go over things in practice so he isn't indecisive and walk into those situations that get him back to Tampa Jameis.
Are you a Saints/FSU homer? Seems odd to make excuses for him in the face of what seems like pretty good evidence to the contrary.

Patrick Daugherty: Jameis Winston's 180

Does Jameis Winston contain multitudes? Or is he just not very good? So far he’s gone as his team has, and Sunday that was nowhere for the Saints. 

After all the Saints’ issues were papered over in a suspiciously easy Week 1 victory against the Packers, they were ruthlessly exposed in Carolina. The Panthers caved Winston’s line in with ease, with his pass blockers posting a “win rate” of 36 percent, the lowest Week 2 mark in the league. Winston responded by panicking, tossing two awful interceptions and desperately trying to throw a third. Both of Winston’s miscues were the kind of decisions he was routinely mocked for in Tampa. For the first, he heaved the ball as he was falling backwards. It landed in a crowd of three Panthers. For the second, he climbed a collapsing pocket before confidently tossing the ball right to Jaycee Horn.    

Winston’s picks would have been the post-game focus had the whole team not been the focus. He was merely the leader of a gang gone bad. We already know his blockers didn’t block, but his receivers didn’t catch, either. An issue more glaring than any one player’s performance was the absence of a targets hierarchy. Winston lacks a go-to player for basically any situation. There is no deep threat, no third-down chain mover, no blitz safety valve. This is a sorry group of pass catchers, one where coach Sean Payton appears to be making it up as he goes along. 

As such, there is no space for Alvin Kamara, who also failed to create space of his own in Carolina. It was a hopeless assignment, but he failed nonetheless seven days after reaching 20 carries for only the second time in his career. 

So is this an irredeemable situation? We didn’t overreact to Week 1, after all. Why do so to Week 2? And what looks like a points vacuum is often a land of fantasy opportunity. That’s true, and will probably remain so here. It’s just impossible to know where to start. Through two weeks, the one Saint with more than six targets is Kamara. We have no idea where this ball is going to be distributed, and there are higher-upside guesses in cities other than New Orleans.  

As for Winston, Payton is accomplishing the seemingly impossible task of hiding both him and Taysom Hill. Expect the former to stay the same and the latter to change. Winston’s 42 attempts through two starts are what he would often post in one week as a Buc. Hill’s five touches are what he would frequently rack up in one half of spelling Drew Brees. Circumstance will probably lead the Payton doctor to order more Hill gadgetry and more Winston conservatism. There will be no fantasy value in this quarterback room for the foreseeable future.

Winston had better WR talent in Tampa but they didn't reduce the number of bad decisions he made, they only meant better outcomes for some of them. They can "clean things up" to a degree and win some games but they aren't beating good football teams with this guy.

Winston sucks.  He is arm talent, and that's it.  He just chucks it, and hopes for the best.  Saints would be better off just letting Hill fart around back there.

Jameis Winston completed 13-of-21 passes for 128 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Week 3 win over the Patriots.

Winston wasn't asked to do much with the Saints leading the entire game. Patriots QB Mac Jones threw three interceptions, including a pick-six, and set the Saints up with good field position. Both of Winston's touchdowns came on red-zone passes to Alvin Kamara and Marquez Callaway. This was a rebound game for Winston after last week's loss to the Panthers. Winston (2-1) gets a streamable matchup with the Giants secondary in Week 4.

Jameis Winston completed 17-of-23 passes for 226 yards and a touchdown in the Saints' 27-21, Week 4 overtime loss to the Giants. 

Winston was frequently yanked off the field near the goal line in favor of Taysom Hill, who tallied a pair of rushing scores. The 23 attempts were actually a season high for Winston, which tells you all you need to know about how he is being used roughly a quarter into the season. Winston is averaging 22 attempts, which isn't close to enough for QB1 returns unless you have Russell Wilson-level efficiency. Winston, of course, has neither Wilson-ian efficiency nor weapons, so this is going to be the toughest of scenes, at least until Michael Thomas returns and re-centers the Saints' talent-barren receiver corps. The Saints travel to Washington for Week 5. 

Jameis Winston completed 15-of-30 passes for 279 yards and four touchdowns in the Saints' Week 5 win against Washington. 

Winston added 26 yards on six rushes against a Washington defense that lacked effort throughout the game. When he wasn't being scolded by head coach Sean Payton on the sideline, Winston was hitting big downfield plays, including a 72-yard TD to Deonte Harris and a Hail Mary completion as time expired in the first half. He averaged 18.6 yards per completion against a Football Team secondary that seemed confused in basic coverage situations. Winston hasn't been a reliable fantasy option this year, but getting Michael Thomas back from IR in the coming weeks should be a boon for the volatile passer. 

Oct 10, 2021, 4:56 PM ET

Jameis Winston completed 19-of-35 passes for 222 yards and one touchdown in the Saints' 13-10, Week 7 win over the Seahawks.

Winston boosted his stat line with eight rushes for 40 yards with his legs, setting season-highs as a runner with Taysom Hill out with a concussion. He also wasn't helped by his wideouts in the pass game, as Tre'Quan Smith was on a completely different page most of the night while Kevin White and Kenny Stills dropped deep balls. Winston's touchdown pass was a 13-yarder to Alvin Kamara, who caught 10 balls for 128 yards and the score. Winston isn't a fantasy option in this low-volume offense but gets a potential ceiling spot next week against the Bucs.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Jameis Winston (knee) was downgraded from "questionable" to "out" in New Orleans' Week 8's game against Tampa Bay.

This wasn't much of a surprise after Winston was carted off following his injury. This has the look of a serious diagnosis that may have a timetable of months rather than weeks. Trevor Siemian is the only other healthy quarterback New Orleans activated today. Taysom Hill could also stake a claim to the job if he's able to shake a concussion that has kept him out for the past three weeks. 

Oct 31, 2021, 6:12 PM ET

FOX's Jay Glazer reports that the Saints are "fearing significant ligament damage" for quarterback Jameis Winston. 

Sean Payton told reporters post-game that the injury was "significant" and that he cried when he saw him after the game. All of the signs here are pointing towards a long-term injury for the Saints, one which will probably have them relying on Taysom Hill or Trevor Siemian for a big chunk of their remaining schedule. 

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Oct 31, 2021, 8:15 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jameis Winston suffered a torn ACL in Week 8 against the Bucs and will miss the rest of the 2021 season. 

Winston also injured his MCL, according to Rapoport. It's a worst-case scenario for the Saints, who have gotten by with a makeshift offense for much of the season and limited Winston's penchant for back-breaking mistakes. Taysom Hill, who hasn't played since suffering a concussion against Washington in Week 5, would be the presumed starter headed into the team's Week 9 matchup against the Falcons. Hill in 2020 shredded Atlanta in two starts against them. He brings mouth-watering rushing upside as the Saints starter a year after he ran 40 times in four starts. It's possible Hill -- who trimmed down last offseason in hopes of being a Day One starter -- won't run quite as much in his post-utility weapon NFL life. Trevor Siemian would continue as the Saints' starter if Hill remains out with his brain injury. Hill should be picked up in all formats this week. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

, Trevor Siemian

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 1, 2021, 1:06 PM ET

The Athletic's Larry Holder said he "doubts" Jameis Winston will be the Saints' starter in 2022. 

Holder said Winston, who is out for the season with an ACL injury, probably didn't do enough in seven games to convince Sean Payton that he's the future of the franchise. Winston in March signed a one-year deal with New Orleans. Taysom Hill, the favorite to serve as the team's starter with Winston sidelined, is also playing on a one-year deal. "I think the Saints will explore any and every avenue this offseason for a quarterback," Holder said. "Even pondering a trade for Super Bowl champions like Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. That's not an exaggeration." Winston, Holder said, was always considered a "one year experiment" in New Orleans. He should get a shot to start somewhere else in 2022. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Nov 2, 2021, 10:31 AM ET

So is there some secret-super-genius Sean Payton reason that they haven't put him on IR yet? I'd like to hold in dynasty but was hoping to free up a roster spot before waivers ran.

Users who are viewing this thread