What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (2 Viewers)

Geno Smith completed 20-of-24 passes for 195 yards and two touchdowns in the Seahawks' 31-7, Week 8 win over the Jaguars, adding two rushes for eight yards and a touchdown.

After a pair of dreadful performances while filling in for Russell Wilson, Smith finally turned in a good day this week. He picked apart the Jacksonville secondary with ease, finding Tyler Lockett 10 times for 142 yards and throwing a pair of touchdowns to DK Metcalf. His receivers were open nearly every time he dropped back and Smith showed the accuracy necessary to connect with them repeatedly. He is expected to return to the bench after the Seahawks' Week 9 bye as Russell Wilson is on track to return in Week 10. However, this showing was good enough for him to have a shot at keeping the backup gig in Seattle next year.

Oct 31, 2021, 9:40 PM ET

Seahawks QB Geno Smith was arrested for suspicion of DUI early Monday morning in King County, Wash.

The Seahawks arrived home late from their road win against the Cardinals, and Smith was busted at 2:10 AM and released on $1,000 bail a little over seven hours later after he slept it off. Smith, 31, is set for free agency in March after starting three games for an injured Russell Wilson this season.

SOURCE: Gregg Bell on Twitter

Jan 10, 2022, 7:08 PM ET

Seahawks re-signed QB Geno Smith to a one-year contract worth 'around $4 million.' 

If Smith hits all his incentives, it could be worth up to $7 million. The Seahawks have been rumored to be looking at the available quarterbacks, but if they don't draft one, they'd enter camp with a three-man battle between Drew Lock, Jacob Eason, and Smith. That's as Down Bad of a depth chart at the most important position in football as we can recall in recent memory. Smith hasn't started more than three games since 2014, but posted a career-best 68.4% completion rate and five touchdowns in said three starts with Seattle last year. 

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Apr 14, 2022, 1:24 PM ET

Seattle is really pushing to have one of the worst QB rooms in recent history. 

If they don't draft a rookie, I think we are looking at Metcalf/Lockett as mediocre WR3s. 

Seahawks OC Shane Waldron said Geno Smith has the "early edge" over Drew Lock to replace Russell Wilson. 

“Right now, Geno has done such a good job of carrying over (the offensive principles from 2021)," Waldron claimed. "He already had a head start over Drew right there. We have a long time to go. We are just in T-shirts and shorts right now, going against air." Nothing Waldron said is necessarily false, but it is obviously a major red flag that the coaching staff is leaving any daylight between Smith and Lock. The Seahawks have relentlessly talked up Lock since he arrived in the Wilson trade, but their actions are telling a different story. Neither player was even remotely effective in 2021, but we suppose Lock is the only one with any theoretical untapped potential. Either way, the Seahawks are playing more for 2023 than 2022 at this point. It does remain possible Baker Mayfield or Jimmy Garoppolo arrives via trade. 

RELATED: 

Drew Lock

SOURCE: Gregg Bell on Twitter 

May 19, 2022, 5:57 PM ET

Given that it appears the Seahawks are tanking for a 2023 QB (Ain’t too proud for Stroud!) it may be possible that both things are true. lock looks better, therefore Geno is more liked to start. 💡 

The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar reports that Geno Smith ran with the first-team offense in every observed drill.

Dugar noted that as a result "Drew Lock ran almost exclusively with the second-team unit." HC Pete Carroll seemed quite enthused about his quarterback competition, “Geno is in the lead. He’s ahead and he ain’t looking back,” Carroll said. “He’s going for it. Drew is not going to take a back seat. Something is going to happen.” The "something" in this case is most likely Lock spending most of 2022 on the bench. Smith appears to have a real lead for the starting job.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 28, 2022, 9:28 AM ET

This makes them better and is probably good news for Metcalf. The weird thing for me in my SF leagues is that I have Geno stashed in a few places and have been on the fence as to keep him as part of my FFPC active 20 or not. This makes it harder because it is SF so now I will definitely not be cutting him but I have to hustle to make room.

Or advertise and sell immediately. Doubt I'd get much though. But this is yet another example of how you can get QBs in SuperFlex for cheap. I took Geno in the 6th or 7th round of a few rookies drafts and had him from waivers last year in a couple of others. I'm not saying I want to start him per se but he is a better QB than the crowd thinks. Seattle is less than ideal but I think he will pepper Metcalf with targets and this seems like a good thing for Smith's FF prospects.

Gonna go put him on the block now though.

Geno has been looking very solid going through his reads. There is something to say for hanging around forever and gaining knowledge.

Getting good production for pennies on the dollar compared to Wilson.

Maybe we should start considering him in certain matchups in Redraft? Check this out:
@adamlevitan

Geno Smith this season:

* Leads NFL in completion percentage (77.3%)
* 5th in yards per attempt (7.9)
* 6th in QBR (72.2)
* 3rd in passer rating (108.0)
* T-7th in sacks taken rate (4.3%)
* 8th in on target throw rate (64.6%)
10/3/22, 9:35 AM

@bcondotta

Geno Smith now has the top grade for any QB in the NFL for the season by Pro Football Focus at 84.5. Next are Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Tua and Jacoby Brissett. If you're curious, Denver's starting QB is 24th.
10/3/22, 9:26 AM

Geno has been looking very solid going through his reads. There is something to say for hanging around forever and gaining knowledge.

Thinking about QBs who bounced around backup jobs, before suddenly becoming good in their 30s, and I can't help but think of Rich Gannon. Not saying Geno is about to win an MVP, but I am saying its possible/probable that Seattle knew exactly what they were doing trading Wilson.

Thinking about QBs who bounced around backup jobs, before suddenly becoming good in their 30s, and I can't help but think of Rich Gannon. Not saying Geno is about to win an MVP, but I am saying its possible/probable that Seattle knew exactly what they were doing trading Wilson.
It's pretty rare but does happen. Tommy Maddox is another name that comes to mind. The reality is he got a pretty raw deal with the Jets and was never given a 2nd chance. Whether he's able to maintain this level of play remains to be seen of course.

So help me God, I spent 32% of FAAB to land him in my Superflex league. I have a pretty strong team but its one weak spot is QB2 (which had been rotating among Fields, Mills and Brissett; QB1 is Herbert.) I hope this is for real.

I'm rooting for him. Love a good underdog. Has been remarkably accurate even going back to last year.

Yeah this is something people keep missing. He played well last year when Russ was out for awhile with the fractured finger.

Granted, last year was low volume. The back to back 300+ yards passing is shocking - he now has 5 300 yard passing games in a decade of playing.

Leads the league in completion percentage (77.3%) by a good margin, 5th in QBR. I think his 4.5% TD rate (league average is 5.8%) and regression to the mean on yardage will keep his FF points limited to barely replacement level. Despite last week - it's hard to imagine an NFL caliber defense biting on the same exact play action QB bootleg play 8 consecutive times again WHERE IS THE ****ING ADJUSTMENT AARON GLENN sorry Lions PTSD - there's not much upside on the rushing side. But you could do worse in Superflex leagues.

Geno ran a
I'm rooting for him. Love a good underdog. Has been remarkably accurate even going back to last year.

Yeah this is something people keep missing. He played well last year when Russ was out for awhile with the fractured finger.

Granted, last year was low volume. The back to back 300+ yards passing is shocking - he now has 5 300 yard passing games in a decade of playing.

Leads the league in completion percentage (77.3%) by a good margin, 5th in QBR. I think his 4.5% TD rate (league average is 5.8%) and regression to the mean on yardage will keep his FF points limited to barely replacement level. Despite last week - it's hard to imagine an NFL caliber defense biting on the same exact play action QB bootleg play 8 consecutive times again WHERE IS THE ****ING ADJUSTMENT AARON GLENN sorry Lions PTSD - there's not much upside on the rushing side. But you could do worse in Superflex leagues.
Geno ran a 4.56 at the combine but has never been much of a runner. The 49 yards running vs the Lions was only topped by a 50 yard game in his rookie year (quick check on ESPN). In my team, I picked up Geno as a bye week filler - week 9 @ ARI. He has good weapons and a bad defense ... topped by only the Lions.

Geno ran a

Geno ran a 4.56 at the combine but has never been much of a runner. The 49 yards running vs the Lions was only topped by a 50 yard game in his rookie year (quick check on ESPN). In my team, I picked up Geno as a bye week filler - week 9 @ ARI. He has good weapons and a bad defense ... topped by only the Lions.

Certainly a plus for him and Goff wrt FF. Both teams have coaches committed to running, but they'll always need to keep pushing to keep up.

Geno didn't have to cook because the defense was in the kitchen, led by head cook Tariq Woolen. Tariq is a DROY candidate.

Walker was also very good with "as the rookie back forced 10 missed tackles, rushed for five first downs, amassed 63 yards after contact and ran for a score on a team-high 17 rush attempts."

Geno Smith completed 20-of-31 passes for 197 yards in the Seahawks' 19-9, Week 6 win over the Cardinals.

Smith added six carries for 48 yards on the ground. The Seahawks only scored one touchdown and it came on a Ken Walker rush attempt. It was a quiet day for Geno, but he did lead the team on five scoring drives. It just so happened to be that four of them resulted in field goals. Had the Cardinals pushed the Seahawks much, it's possible Geno and company would have been forced to be more aggressive. Smith will look to rebound for QB2 numbers in his Week 7 matchup with the Chargers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Geno Smith completed 20-of-27 passes for 210 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Seahawks' 37-23, Week 7 win over the Chargers.

The numbers aren't flashy, but Smith did average a strong 7.8 YPA and did what he needed to do in the easy win. Tyler Lockett (hamstring) came into this one less than 100%, and then DK Metcalf was carted with a knee injury in the first half. Smith was able to find veteran deep threat Marquise Goodwin for a pair of touchdowns. Smith gets another above-average matchup at home against the Giants in Week 8, but the health of Metcalf will play a role in Smith's fantasy viability.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I see a bunch of info about "this year" but what does everyone think about dynasty value? I haven't been able to watch but one Seattle game and highlights are not great indicators

Geno Smith completed 26-of-34 passes for 275 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Seahawks' 31-21, Week 9 win over the Cardinals, adding six carries for 38 additional yards.

Smith entered Week 9 in a mini-fantasy slump by his 2022 standards but rebounded with a four-week high in passing production and three-week high in rushing. He has pieced together three straight multi-score starts after his season-worst performance in Week 6 against these same Cardinals. Today's final statline was particularly impressive since a hilariously-bad Smith pick-six put the 'Hawks down 14-10 early in the third quarter. Smith rallied for three more touchdown drives, the final two of which were capped off by Ken Walker on the ground. It has been tempting to wait for the other shoe to drop with Smith, especially as his counting stats have waned a bit in recent weeks, but he continues to simply play good football. Having DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett and knowing what to do with them has helped. For Week 10, Smith will be catching the struggling Bucs in Munich, Germany.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread