What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (1 Viewer)

The last four games of last year and the first game this year are looking like a trend. He is using his legs more and is showing better decision making overall. He still needs to protect the ball better. The goal-line formation in which Vick was brought in was troubling, however. Vick just missed passing for that TD.

The last four games of last year and the first game this year are looking like a trend. He is using his legs more and is showing better decision making overall. He still needs to protect the ball better. The goal-line formation in which Vick was brought in was troubling, however. Vick just missed passing for that TD.
They need less gimmick and just run the ball and if they throw just go play action. Hated that play.

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

Geno Smith completed 26-of-43 passes for 316 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Jets' 27-19, Week 3 loss to the Bears on Monday night.

The stat line looks even better than Smith actually played. After showing considerable signs of improvement the first two weeks of the season, Smith reverted to his rookie-year self in this one. His two interceptions were back-breakers. His first pass of the game was an awful screen toss that was returned for a pick-six, while the second INT came in the red zone and was thrown right to Kyle Fuller in the end zone. Smith's decision-making on the final drive of the game also left many scratching their heads. The Jets host the Lions in Week 4.

Sep 22 - 11:53 PM

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

Geno Smith completed 26-of-43 passes for 316 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Jets' 27-19, Week 3 loss to the Bears on Monday night.

The stat line looks even better than Smith actually played. After showing considerable signs of improvement the first two weeks of the season, Smith reverted to his rookie-year self in this one. His two interceptions were back-breakers. His first pass of the game was an awful screen toss that was returned for a pick-six, while the second INT came in the red zone and was thrown right to Kyle Fuller in the end zone. Smith's decision-making on the final drive of the game also left many scratching their heads. The Jets host the Lions in Week 4.

Rotoworld's analysis is consistently a joke. He actually played better than his stat line, but did make a couple of costly mistakes which were not surprising considering his experience level. There were many drops and his receiving corps in the second half was extremely poor. He is developing nicely as an NFL QB but has a long way to go. As a fantasy QB he scores well even as he is developing.

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

Rotoworld's analysis is consistently a joke. He actually played better than his stat line, but did make a couple of costly mistakes which were not surprising considering his experience level. There were many drops and his receiving corps in the second half was extremely poor. He is developing nicely as an NFL QB but has a long way to go. As a fantasy QB he scores well even as he is developing.
I thought the analysis was spot on. he wasn't good tonight. His numbers were aided by a couple of missed tackles. Could have had even more interceptions.

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

I don't totally disagree. However, there's an issue. If Geno continues to flash potential (which he does every week with his mobility and arm talent) only to piss games away with 2-3 bone head decisions, the Jets will never get where they want to be. And then 2-3 years down the road, we'll all finally realize (for certain. I'm sure many people already feel this way) that Geno is not a winning QB.

If/When that happens, the Jets are now forced to go into total rebuild mode. Because at that point, you're probably replacing the most important O-linemen (Mangold and Ferguson both turn 31 this season) along with a bunch of other key players who will be pushing 30 by then. You can't wait 4 years to find out if you have a QB, because unless you hit a Russel Wilson-esque grand slam outside the first round of the draft, you'll waste another 2-3 years after that trying to develop the next guy. Putting your chips in on the wrong QB sets your franchise back a minimum of 5 years barring a miracle. If Geno is still doing this at the end of this year, the Jets need to find someone else.

If I could snap my fingers and instantly turn Geno into a top 15 QB, the Jets would still be at least 4-5 players (Guard, pass rusher, at least 1 WR, at least 1 Corner) from really being a contender. They'll have the cap space and draft picks to hopefully fill those holes next year, but unless Geno stops his weekly brain farts. It won't matter.

edit: This is an entirely different team if the Jets don't #### the bed 2 years ago and draft Stephen Hill 1 pick before Alshon Jeffrey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

I don't totally disagree. However, there's an issue. If Geno continues to flash potential (which he does every week with his mobility and arm talent) only to piss games away with 2-3 bone head decisions, the Jets will never get where they want to be. And then 2-3 years down the road, we'll all finally realize (for certain. I'm sure many people already feel this way) that Geno is not a winning QB.

If/When that happens, the Jets are now forced to go into total rebuild mode. Because at that point, you're probably replacing the most important O-linemen (Mangold and Ferguson both turn 31 this season) along with a bunch of other key players who will be pushing 30 by then. You can't wait 4 years to find out if you have a QB, because unless you hit a Russel Wilson-esque grand slam outside the first round of the draft, you'll waste another 2-3 years after that trying to develop the next guy. Putting your chips in on the wrong QB sets your franchise back a minimum of 5 years barring a miracle. If Geno is still doing this at the end of this year, the Jets need to find someone else.

If I could snap my fingers and instantly turn Geno into a top 15 QB, the Jets would still be at least 4-5 players (Guard, pass rusher, at least 1 WR, at least 1 Corner) from really being a contender. They'll have the cap space and draft picks to hopefully fill those holes next year, but unless Geno stops his weekly brain farts. It won't matter.
I see it through the prism of fantasy football and care about his NFL value only as it impacts his playing time. He is a developing QB who is going to make mistakes just like 99% of QBs at his experience level. The Jets are committed to him. He scores fantasy points with his legs and his arm. I do worry about his receiving corps, but as a fantasy QB he is a solid QB2. My league does not penalize for INT's so his brain farts don't push his value down.

Well, his playing time could become unpredictable with Vick waiting in the wings. I do agree that the receivers are terrible. David Nelson does not belong on the football field.

I don't see any reason for the Jets to abandon Geno. He's only going to get better and be a valuable starter soon enough.

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

Uhh, Geno played terribly. The Jets defense keeps them in games and he was individually responsible for the loss - you can't throw picks in the end zone, settle for a 22 yard field goal, especially after the defense gets 3 consecutive 3 and outs and your offense starts on the CHI 28 and all you get is 3 points. It's deflating. Geno Smith makes bad decisions, throws bad screen balls (not just the interception, he throws behind guys on bubble screens which results in 0-2 yard gains), doesn't weave in the pocket

HE'S BAD, the Jets would easily be 2-1 and possibly 3-0 with most other quarterbacks

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

Uhh, Geno played terribly. The Jets defense keeps them in games and he was individually responsible for the loss - you can't throw picks in the end zone, settle for a 22 yard field goal, especially after the defense gets 3 consecutive 3 and outs and your offense starts on the CHI 28 and all you get is 3 points. It's deflating. Geno Smith makes bad decisions, throws bad screen balls (not just the interception, he throws behind guys on bubble screens which results in 0-2 yard gains), doesn't weave in the pocket

HE'S BAD, the Jets would easily be 2-1 and possibly 3-0 with most other quarterbacks
I was thinking he didn't really look that bad. His problem is consistency. He was throwing some darts into tight coverage where only the WR could get it, then he would throw a bone headed pass or an errant pass that got picked. I agree you can't throw INTs in the endzone. Those certainly are deflating. But, some of his issues are due to the crap receivers he has. Looked to me like there could have been a disconnect on the routes the way some of his throws were so far off the mark. Gotta figure that stuff will get worked out. He keeps things alive with his legs. Chicago's defense plays much better at home. I like the fact that he is willing to throw deep and take chances. So many QBs (even vets) are scared to death of throwing a deep ball because they are so afraid to get picked. I appreciate taking what the defense gives you, but you also gotta keep defenses honest and throw it deep. I'm willing to give him a few more weeks to see if the chemistry improves. Maybe after that I'll start saying he may not be able to cut it.

I think Geno is developing quite fine as an NFL qb.

He still makes some young qb mistakes, but he is making a lot of good plays as well and has made gigantic steps from last year to this year.

Keep in mind that Geno was throwing to Kerley (the only decent WR), Salas, David Nelson, Cumberland, Amaro (rookie TD) for pretty much the whole game as Decker was hurt.

Let the kid develop. Vick is not the answer now or long term, but I think Geno has a chance to be. His completion percentage is up from last years 55.8 to 63.1. The yardage totals are up 50 yards per game. Let him develop. I think people want him to be Wilson or Luck which he is not. But he is capable of developing into a top 12 NFL qb if he keeps improving.

Sometimes you have to be content as a franchise with Dalton's, Flaccos etc of the world. Get Geno a number 1 WR to pair with Decker and leave Kerly in the slot and continue to grow as a team. No need to hit panic button so early in his career.

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith - QB - Jets

I thought the analysis was spot on. he wasn't good tonight. His numbers were aided by a couple of missed tackles. Could have had even more interceptions.
Throwing to WHO???? Without Decker this pack of WRs is a complete joke. Kerley is solid, but is miscast as a WR2 and definitely as a WR1. Amaro is needed to help out immediately.

I hope they keep GS in there for years! :cool: ... as a Pats fan. I don't think he has it mentally. From Sanchez to GS , it's not enough but the Jets will keep trying to make gold out of copper for years (ie: Rex Ryan's stubborn will..) Look how long they kept Sanchez in there when it was obvious to everyone that he wasn't that good or at least good enough..

He's averaging 47 more YPG than last year. He's throwing (slightly) fewer interceptions (3.9% vs. 4.7%), more touchdowns (2.9% vs. 2.7%), and taking fewer sacks (5.5% vs. 8.8%). His AYPA has increased from 5.3 to 5.8. His ANYPA has increased from 4.17 to 4.94.

And that's just passing. He's also run for more YPG than last year.

I'm not saying he's a good NFL or fantasy QB right now, but he's improved since last year, and there's no reason to think he can't keep doing it. And he's doing it with limited offensive weapons.

I hope they keep GS in there for years! :cool: ... as a Pats fan. I don't think he has it mentally. From Sanchez to GS , it's not enough but the Jets will keep trying to make gold out of copper for years (ie: Rex Ryan's stubborn will..) Look how long they kept Sanchez in there when it was obvious to everyone that he wasn't that good or at least good enough..
I'd rather have Geno than Tom Brady this year...and for the future.

Brady is definitely off to a slow start. Patriots losing to Miami and struggling to beat Minny and Oakland does not look good for the now and future.

He's averaging 47 more YPG than last year. He's throwing (slightly) fewer interceptions (3.9% vs. 4.7%), more touchdowns (2.9% vs. 2.7%), and taking fewer sacks (5.5% vs. 8.8%). His AYPA has increased from 5.3 to 5.8. His ANYPA has increased from 4.17 to 4.94.

I'm not saying he's a good NFL or fantasy QB right now, but he's improved since last year, and there's no reason to think he can't keep doing it. And he's doing it with limited offensive weapons.
Compare those numbers to Gabbert from year 1 to 2

I'm trying to figure out what bias you Geno Smith supporters have, I just don't get what anybody can like watching him.

The "offensive weapons" argument is dead, that was for last year - they brought in decker, cj2k, ivory, d. nelson, salas, drafted Amaro 2nd round pick .. they are doing everything they can for him to succeed. Talk about his yardage all you want, but in the modern passing NFL, for defenses it's a "bend don't break" approach - and Geno had 1 TD in 6 RZ appearances - awful

The NYJ defense - Forte 13 - 33 yds

Lacy 13 - 43 yds

The D held Chicago well, and all Geno had to do was get 1 more TD to make the score about tied (instead of going to 24-19), I can't wait until the defense gets fed up and there is division in the locker room

Compare those numbers to Gabbert from year 1 to 2
238 YPG vs. 166? 6.9 YPA vs. 6.0 YPA?

Gabbert's AYPA is similar because Geno has thrown more interceptions. But they're very different players. Geno throws more often, throws further on average, and completes more of his passes -- including to the other team. He also runs much more.

I'm trying to figure out what bias you Geno Smith supporters have, I just don't get what anybody can like watching him.

The "offensive weapons" argument is dead, that was for last year - they brought in decker, cj2k, ivory, d. nelson, salas, drafted Amaro 2nd round pick .. they are doing everything they can for him to succeed. Talk about his yardage all you want, but in the modern passing NFL, for defenses it's a "bend don't break" approach - and Geno had 1 TD in 6 RZ appearances - awful

Lacy 13 - 43 yds

The D held Chicago well, and all Geno had to do was get 1 more TD to make the score about tied (instead of going to 24-19), I can't wait until the defense gets fed up and there is division in the locker room
So what does bringing in a washed up Johson and career back ups Salas, Nelson have to offer the Jets Offense right now? You may have missed the game but Decker is ailing with a bad hammy. Also factor in that rookie TE's rarely if ever are great receiving threats as young players.

Geno just played his 19th NFL game. He has room for improvement for sure, but he is making and has made a ton of strides from the start of last year. Were some of the throws ill advised? Of course. But let's not put a fork in him already.

Lacy 13 - 43 yds

So what does bringing in a washed up Johson and career back ups Salas, Nelson have to offer the Jets Offense right now? You may have missed the game but Decker is ailing with a bad hammy. Also factor in that rookie TE's rarely if ever are great receiving threats as young players.

Geno just played his 19th NFL game. He has room for improvement for sure, but he is making and has made a ton of strides from the start of last year. Were some of the throws ill advised? Of course. But let's not put a fork in him already.
In the same system, Mark Sanchez played in an AFC championship game, then started his next season 5-1 - that would be his first 25 NFL games

Lacy 13 - 43 yds

Yeah this feels tired to me... It's blatently obvious he has no one to throw to. When Decker has played, Geno has looked pretty solid. After Decker left, Geno probably tried to do too much, but I saw multiple dropped passes in the second half on plays that would have moved the chains and kept drives alive. One on a screen to Johnson where he'd have picked up 10-15 yards at least, and another on a 15 yard pass to Amaro that hit him right in the hands. There were others too where his receivers weren't exactly helping him, and Jared Allen was in his face most of the night.

The Jets have nearly $24MM in cap space THIS YEAR. Not to mention their 4th and 5th highest paid players are Cromartie and Marc Sanchez (also known as not even on the team anymore). That kind of piss poor management is what's wrong with the Jets, not Geno Smith. Poor drafting, poor cap management, poor usage of available funds. $20MM could easily have bought another legit WR on the outside, some OL help, and likely something in the secondary to boot. Instead the Jets chose to sit on it.

If you're a Jets fan, get frustrated with your FO... not your QB.

In the same system, Mark Sanchez played in an AFC championship game, then started his next season 5-1 - that would be his first 25 NFL games
With one of the greatest Defenses of the past decade including Revis on one side and Cromartie on the other. And he had Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene combining for nearly 2K yards his rookie year, followed by Tomlinson and Green in year 2.

The corpse of Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory isn't the same, and that Defense isn't nearly the same.

Even still, Sanchez had Cotchery, Dustin Keller, and Braylon Edwards his rookie year, and added Holmes to the WRs his sophomore season. Geno hasn't had nearly the same WR talent to work with.

With one of the greatest Defenses of the past decade including Revis on one side and Cromartie on the other. And he had Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene combining for nearly 2K yards his rookie year, followed by Tomlinson and Green in year 2.

The corpse of Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory isn't the same, and that Defense isn't nearly the same.

Even still, Sanchez had Cotchery, Dustin Keller, and Braylon Edwards his rookie year, and added Holmes to the WRs his sophomore season. Geno hasn't had nearly the same WR talent to work with.
It's also worth mentioning that in Sanchez's first 2 years he probably had the best OL in the NFL. Anyone writing off Geno already is being VERY premature. There are certainly concerns about Geno, especially about his propensity for turnovers, but he has the ability to read NFL defenses and make accurate throws, which to me are the 2 most important things you look for in a QB.

Ha ha, you crack me up. One of the more stupid things I've heard lately. I'd rather have Tom Brady's present, past and future (even just tonight!) So you'd rather not make the playoffs? I'd rather have a 42 year old Brady for that matter. You better watch out for the Bills and Dolphins. We're thinking Super Bowl, period.

Ha ha, you crack me up. One of the more stupid things I've heard lately. I'd rather have Tom Brady's present, past and future (even just tonight!) So you'd rather not make the playoffs? I'd rather have a 42 year old Brady for that matter. You better watch out for the Bills and Dolphins. We're thinking Super Bowl, period.
No need for the name calling. He's entitled to his opinion.

Easy, never called anyone a name. I've also been known to say a stupid thing or 2, which is why I fit right in around here. I'm not a fan of geno Smith. He may develop but this whole"develop" thing can get out of hand, go on for years, lol.

I don't think we can tell about offensive skill players in the Rex system, they just seem to wilt there. It's a coaching and front office problem. If you're talking dynasty Geno could somewhere else and thrive. Joe McKnight just went nuts in a KC win. Sanchez is probably the no. 1 QB handcuff grab now that Cousins is starting. Decker is the best thing they have done there but that's all they did. Maybe Amaro emerges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Geno is a franchise QB but Marty Mornhinwheg is also not a good OC. Maybe Marty can get an OC job with the Rams for his next stop after he eventually gets fired from the Jets, just like Brian Schottenheimer.

It's going to be hard to get a good OC when the good ones will want nothing to do with Geno Stinks at QB.

I don't think Geno is a franchise QB but Marty Mornhinwheg is also not a good OC. Maybe Marty can get an OC job with the Rams for his next stop after he eventually gets fired from the Jets, just like Brian Schottenheimer.
this was my biggest takeaway from the Monday night game. Geno needs to lessen the damage of his mistakes, they're going to happen but they can't be bck breaking ones. He is going to be limited by his coaching no matter what though.

Users who are viewing this thread