What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (1 Viewer)

Would be fun to see this work out.  An winning Cam Newton is a joyful Cam Newton, and he was a great face of the family-oriented franchise when that was true.

I like this story line. Cam had a few great years and took a lot of beatings with his style of play. Even if he can come back and show moderate success it would be a nice way to wrap up his career.

I like this story line. Cam had a few great years and took a lot of beatings with his style of play. Even if he can come back and show moderate success it would be a nice way to wrap up his career.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones reports Cam Newton could be active in Week 10 against the Cardinals "as either an emergency player or subbing in for some special packages."

Jones said Newton, who rejoined the Panthers Thursday with Sam Darnold (shoulder) out for up to a month, will start in Week 11 against Washington. He could see some playing time this week against Arizona, though P.J. Walker will draw the start. That means Newton could see usage in short yardage situations or at the goal line, which would ding Walker's upside and maybe dig into Christian McCaffrey's touchdown equity. Newton should be rostered in all superflex formats for an excellent Week 11 matchup against the Football Team. 

RELATED: 

P.J. Walker

SOURCE: CBSSports.com

Nov 12, 2021, 8:49 AM ET

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said it is "not very likely" Cam Newton plays in Week 10 against the Cardinals.

Newton will travel to Arizona on Sunday but is not expected to play as he continues to get up to speed in Carolina's offense overnight. Matt Barkley is instead expected to be active as P.J. Walker's backup, with Newton's debut against Washington in Week 11 being "more realistic" of a timeline. The veteran should be picked up as a QB2 in SuperFlex leagues ahead of his first snap under Rhule.

SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter

Nov 12, 2021, 1:13 PM ET

EVERYONE wants to throw dirt on this guy.

He's not done.
Did you watch any ne last year?   He's pretty done.  I think /anyone/ can go out and look better than Darnold, and yes that includes day old infants and everyone who celebrated their 100th birthday the past month.

I think Cam is just a poster child for the randomness of NFL games. Last week's outcast is this week's RB1. Cats chasing dogs... Seems about right.

Did you watch any ne last year?   He's pretty done.  I think /anyone/ can go out and look better than Darnold, and yes that includes day old infants and everyone who celebrated their 100th birthday the past month.
PJ Walker can't. 

If Cam plays well enough to get them a Wild Card spot then Rhule & Co. can potentially salvage their jobs. They'd be in an arguably better spot if they'd kept Teddy B and drafted Fields, but they gambled on Darnold which is pretty wild. 

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said Cam Newton will take most of the team's first-team practice reps ahead of the team's Week 11 game against Washington. 

"If he's ready to start, great," Rhule said a day after Newton completed three of his four attempts of eight yards and a touchdown and scored a rushing touchdown in Carolina's decisive win over Arizona. P.J. Walker will take a backseat to the team's new leader and Sam Darnold (shoulder, IR) probably won't play another snap as a Panther. Newton's Week 11 matchup is undeniably excellent: The pass-funnel Football Team defense has allowed the eighth highest completion rate (67.3 percent) and the seventh highest yards per pass attempt (7.5). His rushing upside make him a high-end QB2 in his first start of 2021. 

RELATED: 

P.J. Walker

SOURCE: Jonathan Jones on Twitter 

Nov 15, 2021, 11:40 AM ET

PJ Walker can't. 

If Cam plays well enough to get them a Wild Card spot then Rhule & Co. can potentially salvage their jobs. They'd be in an arguably better spot if they'd kept Teddy B and drafted Fields, but they gambled on Darnold which is pretty wild. 
Rhule managed to make Darnold look competent for a handful of weeks.   He's already done enough to make me think he's one of the best coaches in the NFL.   Just needs a capable GM.

Cam Newton completed 3-of-4 passes for eight yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' 34-10, Week 10 win over the Cardinals, adding three carries for 14 yards and one touchdown as a runner.

P.J. Walker made the start for Carolina just days after Cam was re-signed, and Walker went 22-of-29 passing for 167 scoreless yards and one pick with a second turnover on a lost fumble. It was Newton who came in at the goal line on the opening two possessions, running for a one-yard touchdown before throwing a two-yarder to Robby Anderson. The expectation is Newton will get the starts going forward over Walker, starting with Week 11 against Washington and former coach Ron Rivera.

- NBC SportsEDGE

NFL Twitter - Cam Newton TD run, "I'm BAAAACKKKKKK!!!!"

Yahoo's Matt Harmon - Week 10 Fantasy Care/Don't Care: Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs are back

The Cam Newton effect

When asked how much of the playbook he knew prior to kickoff, Cam Newton replied, “Two-touchdowns worth.”

We love a guy who stays on brand.

Another thing that’s undeniably part of the Cam Newton brand: Being a gravitational force that teammates rally around.

That was one of the theories as to why Newton was released by the Patriots, one that Newton himself shared on his YouTube channel. You can’t have a guy like that be a backup to a rookie you want to own the locker room. It was already on display in his first game action with the Panthers:

Will Kunkel video, Twitter

The reason Cam Newton was such a uniquely good signing at this point in the season was his baked-in history with the Panthers. He already has years of experience with stars like Christian McCaffrey and DJ Moore but that history has immediately altered the vibes in Carolina.

I’m sorry if it offends your analytics sensibility but that matters.

This is a team that just one week ago had starting receivers barking at a starting quarterback who was actively sinking the offense. Now they have a legitimate franchise icon re-installed as one of the team leaders and looking like he’s still got gas in the tank. This team has some flaws but plenty of positives in its corner to still believe they can make a playoff push.

In addition to all that, Newton showed he still has the unique ability as a power-back playing quarterback in the red zone. That’s going to continue to keep his own outlook trending in the right direction. He’ll be on the fantasy starter borderline in Week 11 and he’s rescued the fantasy floors of Moore, CMC and perhaps even guys further down the pecking order like Robby Anderson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said Cam Newton will "take the first snap" against Washington in Week 11, and P.J. Walker will "probably" play. 

Cam was fully expected to draw the start against the Football Team, but Walker being worked into the Carolina offense was not expected. Newton should maintain the high-value snaps and touches, especially near the end zone. It's unclear what Walker does better than Newton, though Newton is still new to the team and perhaps unfamiliar with the nuances of the offensive system. Newton is a fine QB2 option based on his rushing potential. 

RELATED: 

P.J. Walker

SOURCE: Joseph Person on Twitter

Anyone else rolling with him today?

starting him in one of my 16 team leagues over Tyrod Taylor with Bridgewater on bye.

other 16 team league starting him over Matt Ryan and Heinicke

starting him in one of my 16 team leagues over Tyrod Taylor with Bridgewater on bye.

other 16 team league sterling him over Matt Ryan and Heinicke
I swapped him in for Tannehill after I heard about torrential rain being a factor. Based on my season trend, likely will be the wrong call! Lol!

other 16 team league sterling him over Matt Ryan and Heinicke
Back and forth whether to roll with him over Fields. Leaning Fields with Rhule saying Walker could see the field.

Starting him over Lawrence as my second QB in superflex (Allen is my QB1). I’m not buying that Walker will get a lot of meaningful snaps, but even if he does, Cam doesn’t need much to have a productive fantasy day given his rushing/red zone capabilities.

Why, because he ran to the 50 to celebrate after he scored? He’s in a half empty stadium trying to energize a fanbase that he has a long history with, the dude is fun. Never understood the hate for him. Because he likes fashion? Because he hates to lose? He’s a good dude and loves the game imo.

People will get mad that their favorite players smile and exchange jerseys with the “enemy” after they get their asses kicked in a game and then also turn around and criticize Cam because he puts a towel over his head when he loses. Meanwhile Brady won’t shake a hand when he loses. Who cares.

Cam Newton was benched in the fourth quarter of the Panthers' Week 12 game against the Dolphins after completing just 5-of-21 passes for 92 scoreless yards and two interceptions.

A truly horrendous performance. Newton "saved" it a bit with a short rushing touchdown, but even his rushing numbers -- three carries for five yards -- underwhelmed. His lone meaningful pass play was a 64-yard completion to D.J. Moore, and even it was a bad throw after Moore got behind the defense and had to wait on the pass. It's hard to explain just how bad Newton was in this one before being pulled in favor of P.J. Walker with the Panthers down 30-10 early in the fourth quarter. We assume Cam will be back under center after the Week 13 bye when Carolina hosts the Falcons in Week 14. Once playoff hopefuls, the Panthers are now 5-7, with Newton 0-2 in his two starts.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Why, because he ran to the 50 to celebrate after he scored? He’s in a half empty stadium trying to energize a fanbase that he has a long history with, the dude is fun. Never understood the hate for him. Because he likes fashion? Because he hates to lose? He’s a good dude and loves the game imo.

People will get mad that their favorite players smile and exchange jerseys with the “enemy” after they get their asses kicked in a game and then also turn around and criticize Cam because he puts a towel over his head when he loses. Meanwhile Brady won’t shake a hand when he loses. Who cares.
This is why I don't like him......

Cam's "business decision."

Ok.  I admit it.  He's toast.

Just seems like Newt aged in dog years.  Still big and strong but looks old and slow when he tries to move around. Newt was never a good pocket passer and without his legs he is worse.

Nice that he got to come back to Carolina to finish up his last year in the NFL though.

Users who are viewing this thread