What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (1 Viewer)

Well you hypothetically placed Cam on last years team so I figured since we're playing hypothetical, I might as well replace the DC.

The point is, Cam is better than Cooper Rush and possibly, cheap as dirt. I'll take a former league MVP as my backup. 
There's a couple of things that might not make this an option. 1) Cam may have no interest in being a backup and 2) NE is paying him $1.5 million in guaranteed salary (in addition to his signing bonus money). If the Cowboys offer him a league minimum deal (roughly $1 million), Cam would be better off not even playing (the $1 million would come out of what NE is paying him). The Cowboys don't have a lot of cap space, and that could also limit what they could or want to do.

Well you hypothetically placed Cam on last years team so I figured since we're playing hypothetical, I might as well replace the DC.

The point is, Cam is better than Cooper Rush and possibly, cheap as dirt. I'll take a former league MVP as my backup. 
That was related to the topic of, you know, different QBs.

You can have him, and he may be dirt cheap now (for a reason). At least that would make some sense, unlike if/when he was making a lot more money. Wouldn't put any weight on the "former MVP" thing, that was ages ago. He's ungood now, but if he's dirt cheap, probably an upgrade to Rush.

That was related to the topic of, you know, different QBs.

You can have him, and he may be dirt cheap now (for a reason). At least that would make some sense, unlike if/when he was making a lot more money. Wouldn't put any weight on the "former MVP" thing, that was ages ago. He's ungood now, but if he's dirt cheap, probably an upgrade to Rush.

I agree with everything you have said here. 

Anarchy99 said:
I was not a fan of Cam, but over the past 3 seasons, for QBs that played in at least 30 game, he ranked as the #17 fantasy QB. He ranked higher than Stafford, Rivers, and Carr.
I assume you are talking about a fantasy PPG sense since you are comparing Cam starting ~30 games vs other guys starting ~40-50 games over that stretch?

If a Cam fan(not saying you are btw) was willing to twist the narrative that tightly then Jameis Winston has probably been one of the better QB's in the NFL over the last two years if you are basing it on fantasy PPG for QB's that started 16 games or more.

I assume you are talking about a fantasy PPG sense since you are comparing Cam starting ~30 games vs other guys starting ~40-50 games over that stretch?

If a Cam fan(not saying you are btw) was willing to twist the narrative that tightly then Jameis Winston has probably been one of the better QB's in the NFL over the last two years if you are basing it on fantasy PPG for QB's that started 16 games or more.
Yes. Based on fantasy PPG. Winston would rank 13th under the same criteria (PPG for QBs with at least 30 GP over the past 3 seasons).

Yes. Based on fantasy PPG. Winston would rank 13th under the same criteria (PPG for QBs with at least 30 GP over the past 3 seasons).
But that's not the criteria I said I was interested in.

Over the past two seasons of QB's that played in at least 16 games I'm willing to bet that Winston was better than 13th.

ESPN's Jordan Schultz reports the Cowboys will "begin exploring" free agent Cam Newton. 

It makes all the sense in the world, as the Cowboys have a dire backup situation in Cooper Rush behind Dak Prescott (shoulder). The Cowboys should frankly get Newton on a plane immediately. The same is also true of the Jets.

- Jordan Schultz, Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:

Over the past two seasons of QB's that played in at least 16 games I'm willing to bet that Winston was better than 13th.
Then you would have lost that bet. Over the past 2 seasons for QB with at least 16 GP, Winston ranked 15th in PPG.

Is this counting Winstons NO games last year?  If so, obviously not right.

He attempted 11 passes in 4 games last year.  Where does he land without those 4 games?

I won't be surprised if he has a hard time catching on to a new team, especially if he does not get vaccinated.  Why bring in a backup who could put the rest of your team at risk?  Just not worth it. 

Is this counting Winstons NO games last year?  If so, obviously not right.

He attempted 11 passes in 4 games last year.  Where does he land without those 4 games?
Yeah, that's a good point.

I should have said points per START rather than points per game. I'm sure that if you go by fantasy stats per start Winston would be a top 5-10 QB in the NFL over the past two years. Of course, he's struggled to just get a chance to start for the past two years... but according to fantasy stats he's a stud. 

Making part of the CAM qualifying criteria "that have played ~60% of the games over that time frame" made the entire comparison a whole extra layer of silly imo.

I doubt he included Cam's games from this year where he barely played.  Though if he did obviously that totally screws up the sample.

I would imagine it has more to do with QB scoring being off the charts in 2020, so just by default if you're comparing similar per game scoring from someone in 2019/2020 they are going to be lower than 2018-2020, since 2020 then represents a larger part of the sample.

Cam Newton said he was willing to be Mac Jones' backup this season. 

In his first wide-ranging interview since being released by the Patriots, Newton said he would have "absolutely" been Jones' backup and mentor after the team named the rookie as their Week 1 starter. "But listen," Newton said, "the truth of the matter is this: He would have been uncomfortable." New England coaches may have believed the same -- that Newton's commanding presence would have put Jones in an awkward spot as he took over as the Pats' franchise quarterback. he said the Patriots did a good job in "disguising" their bias for Jones, saying he got two first-team reps for every ten reps Jones received. Newton said in the interview that there are not 32 QBs better than him in the NFL, signaling he won't settle for a backup gig in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Mac Jones

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Sep 10, 2021, 10:32 AM ET

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said the team has reached out to Cam Newton. 

"We’re talking to everybody that could help us,” Carroll said when asked if the team had contacted Newton following Russell Wilson's Week 5 finger injury. Wilson is expected to miss the next month or so, at which points the Seahawks' 2021 season could effectively be over. Geno Smith, who threw for 209 yards and a touchdown in Week 6 against the Steelers, is probably a superior option to late-career Newton. Cam starting for Seattle would represent a marked downgrade for Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf. 

RELATED: 

Geno Smith

, Russell Wilson

, Seattle Seahawks

The Charlotte Observer's Jonathan Alexander reports free agent Cam Newton will meet with the Panthers. 

According to Alexander, the meeting is scheduled for Thursday and will include coach Matt Rhule, owner David Tepper, and VP of football operations Steven Drummond. At 32 and several years removed from his best play, Newton is not a long-term option for a Panthers team that desperately needs one, but perhaps a reunion can help right the ship. With Sam Darnold set to miss several weeks, P.J. Walker is currently the starting quarterback in Carolina. 

- Jonathan Alexander, Twitter

Dangit, as a CMC manager, I'd been praying for a Phillip Rivers situation to emerge. Must. Pray. Harder. 

Saw Cam in action a lot last year as a Pats fan.. can't really recommend this for anyone. He DID get coached up and was heading in a "reading defenses, changing up the play at line of scrimmage, executing play from pocket, improved mechanics" kinda direction on the spring but I do not trust him, at all.

Dangit, as a CMC manager, I'd been praying for a Phillip Rivers situation to emerge. Must. Pray. Harder. 

Saw Cam in action a lot last year as a Pats fan.. can't really recommend this for anyone. He DID get coached up and was heading in a "reading defenses, changing up the play at line of scrimmage, executing play from pocket, improved mechanics" kinda direction on the spring but I do not trust him, at all.
I mean, he's almost certainly a better QB than Darnold/Walker. 

CMC was plenty productive with Cam in 2018. 

The Athletic's Joe Person reports the "expectation" within Carolina's organization is that free agent QB Cam Newton will sign with the Panthers on Thursday afternoon.

"The Panthers would not bring Newton to Charlotte as any sort of test balloon," Person writes. It's a roundabout way for Newton to return to Carolina since the organization originally released him then scooped up Teddy Bridgewater as his replacement before shipping him and multiple picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold, and now find themselves chasing their tail in bringing 32-year-old Newton back to replace Darnold only nine starts into the latter's first year with the team. Newton is not a long-term option for Matt Rhule but will fill a void for the rest of the season until the front office can swing for the fences with Aaron Rodgers or Deshaun Watson this offseason.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter

Nov 11, 2021, 11:51 AM ET

@travdoggI like the optimism. Just a little bit too much PTSD from watching him last year (including feeling like he wasn't able to use James White well). Hope you're right, if they go for it. It's my belief that Rivers would be better for the team's offense and would be dump-off king, leading me to FF glories. 

People said Cam would never fit in NE's culture and he did.

Cam's long been knocked for his ego and it people with uncontrollable ego's would not return to a team that got rid of you like Carolina did, even if your options are low.

So good for Cam for dispelling a lot of negative myth's people put out about him, hope he does well.

There was a meeting with a Festivus "Airing of Grievances" before Cam rejoined the Panthers:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Cam Newton had a good meeting with owner David Tepper, GM Scott Fitterer and VP of Football Operations Stephen Drummond. He had previously met with coach Matt Rhule. An honest conversation that needed to happen. They cleared the air and will move forward.
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1458844513066225666?s=21

@travdoggI like the optimism. Just a little bit too much PTSD from watching him last year (including feeling like he wasn't able to use James White well). Hope you're right, if they go for it. It's my belief that Rivers would be better for the team's offense and would be dump-off king, leading me to FF glories. 
Well yeah, but I don't think that was really an option.

Wow Cam got paid fairly well. Up to $10M for rest of the year with $4.5M guaranteed and $1.5M roster bonus.
This is likely a marketing move more than anything for the Panthers. A lot of fans here in Charlotte seem to be more a fan of Cam than the team and they have been really struggling with home fans seeming outnumbered. Tepper has had a really bad start as an owner, so he is trying to build some goodwill.

That Cam has looked completely washed to me for years matters little. I am slightly less excited about the Arizona defense this weekend. Cam can be a turnover machine, but it's always a bit scary when you don't have recent film on an offense with a new QB

In the wild word of salary cap economics, this actually helps NE. They somehow get a minimum of $537,000 in salary cap relief for next year (which will increase to up to $1.5 million depending upon how much Cam gets paid by CAR).

Is the Rhule / Brady system anything like the Rivera / Turner system?
I think the Brady OC scheme is more than just short pass dump-off screens that Cam is capable of. 

I think Brady was brought in to be more stretch the field passing schemes - Robby Anderson & DJ Moore are both speedy WR talents that are not being utilized since OL did not give Darnald time.  Can Cam extend the play long enuf to hit them downfield?  Remains to be seen. 

Users who are viewing this thread