What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB C.J. Stroud, HOU (2 Viewers)

Well, if he is honest, that is not the "high character" player some GM's will want to be the face of the franchise. I think that was just really bad image to present.
I wonder who "coached" him to let that occur. Likely cost him $$$
Like, that's the easiest question to answer, just don't say someone absolutely stupid. It doesn't have to be honest, just say what you think they wanna hear. Say Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes or something. Its not hard at all. Hell, say Justin Fields, at least you sound like a supportive teammate. His answer was like the equivalent of striking out in tee ball.

Its probably much ado about nothing, but its just bafflingly dumb.

Weird answer IMO, he would have been like 9 years old when Michael Vick was last relevant as an Eagle?

His answer didn’t sound that bad watching the clip.
Thank you. Barstool was not the only one but who did this but saying the top two, not mentioning that he also cited Burrow and not relaying the context of what he said and it's obvious they are trying to create something.
Agreed. Went back to listen. Sounds plausible in his reasons and intent but still not a great image.
The “Burrow” toughness was a good touch

He looked so good. If I was an NFL team, I would have a very hard time taking a QB over Stroud.
The negatives on him are interesting. ‘Can’t break pocket and improvise, doesn’t make plays with his legs.’

isnt that super nit picky? Yeah, he’s the best passer in the draft, but he can’t run like Fields…..

He looked so good. If I was an NFL team, I would have a very hard time taking a QB over Stroud.
The negatives on him are interesting. ‘Can’t break pocket and improvise, doesn’t make plays with his legs.’

isnt that super nit picky? Yeah, he’s the best passer in the draft, but he can’t run like Fields…..
Will be the first QB drafted. Passing still matters.

I think that is how he chooses to play (and was able to at OSU because they were so often in control of games) but he is plenty capable of making plays outside of structure and running with the ball. Just turn on the Georgia game to see what he is fully capable of.

Stroud vs Georgia

Bears get 2.4, 24 1, 24 3, Colts get Stroud at 1.1. This is the move that makes the most sense. Which means Carolina is working on an offer that would be better than that one. Should be interesting.

If the Colts draft Stroud, I would likely draft him at my 1.8 rookie pick if he is still there. I have always liked what I have seen from him and the combine solidified that. If Stroud is gone, I look at Richardson with either that 1.8 or my second. I think after Bijan and Gibbs (and maybe Charbonnet), a couple WR the QBs are the next to have.

I think that is how he chooses to play (and was able to at OSU because they were so often in control of games) but he is plenty capable of making plays outside of structure and running with the ball. Just turn on the Georgia game to see what he is fully capable of.

Stroud vs Georgia

Yeah the semifinal was like a version of Stroud we hadn't seen before.

He's the most accurate of the Big 4 QB prospects and has prototypical size.

Seems a bit odd to me that he isn't the consensus #1 but draft evaluations are an illogical thing that's hard to get right - 50% of 1st rounders don't amount to much.

Stroud vs Georgia

Seems a bit odd to me that he isn't the consensus #1 but draft evaluations are an illogical thing that's hard to get right - 50% of 1st rounders don't amount to much.
Still early - this time a few yrs ago Darnold was the consensus #1 - Baker didnt make a move until a day or 2 before the draft...turns out they both stink!

Stroud vs Georgia

Agree. He’s the safest floor non-Bijan/JSN offensive player in the draft.

All anyone can talk about is ARich’s ceiling. If I’m an NFL GM, I’m looking at Stroud like :wub:

Size, accuracy, touch, body of work, showed another gear in the Peach Bowl. He just checks all the boxes.

If Young was 3-4” taller he’d be neck and neck. Right now I have it Stroud ~> Young.

Multiple sources report the "sense around the league" is that the Panthers moved up for QB C.J. Stroud.​

That said, the Panthers themselves have made it clear they will continue to keep all options on the table as they now control the top of this year's NFL draft. There are still six weeks before the Panthers will find themselves on the clock, and free agency could see multiple dominoes fall at the quarterback position, but the Panthers now find themselves in control for one of the better quarterback prospects in recent memory. After giving up a robust package to move from the ninth pick to the 1.01, it appears clear the organization knows exactly the route they want to go to set themselves up for the future.
Mar 11, 2023, 2:01 PM ET

OHIO STATE QB C.J. STROUD IS NO. 1 PROSPECT ON CHRIS SIMMS’ 2023 NFL DRAFT QUARTERBACK RANKINGS, AVAILABLE NOW ON “CHRIS SIMMS UNBUTTONED” PODCAST

Excerpt:

No. 1: C.J. Stroud, Ohio State

“I am beyond blown away from what I saw…this is as close to Joe Burrow as I’ve seen coming out in the draft. When you just talk about great decision-making, quickness, I mean that was Joe Burrow…C.J. Stroud’s ability to make high-level throws and just drop the ball in the receiver’s pockets, hit them in the chest, wherever, is off-the-charts good…He’s a pure pocket passing quarterback, but that’s not to say he can’t move and be mobile too…When you really break him down, his incompletions are off-the-charts good …Decision-making, top-notch. The ability to make power, game-changing type throws, top-notch. And then go on to accuracy with the short game, it’s all off the charts. But what separates him is the amount of 15- to 30-yard throws that are on the money that change field position or the game on a consistent basis. Like I said, Joe Burrow is the only guy I can remember where I just kept going, ‘Whoa, another strike. Whoa, another strike.’ … This is not one where I’m going out on a limb and I’m splitting hairs. For (me), definite No. 1 pick.”

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but the WR group Stroud was throwing to at OSU were better than any NFL team’s receiving corps. Wilson and Olave were drafted at picks 10 and 11. JSN will probably be a top 15 pick. Harrison will be a Top 10 pick. And Egbuka will probably be a top 20 pick. That’s likely 5 top 20 receivers. No matter where Stroud ends up, his receivers will be a big step down compared to what he is used to.

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but the WR group Stroud was throwing to at OSU were better than any NFL team’s receiving corps. Wilson and Olave were drafted at picks 10 and 11. JSN will probably be a top 15 pick. Harrison will be a Top 10 pick. And Egbuka will probably be a top 20 pick. That’s likely 5 top 20 receivers. No matter where Stroud ends up, his receivers will be a big step down compared to what he is used to.
Right. And I’m absolutely 💯 certain that Stroud’s pinpoint accuracy had nothing to do with helping those WRs.

Why, they coulda put Josh Johnson behind center and OSU wouldn’t have missed a beat!

:sarcasm:

Right. And I’m absolutely 💯 certain that Stroud’s pinpoint accuracy had nothing to do with helping those WRs.

Why, they coulda put Josh Johnson behind center and OSU wouldn’t have missed a beat!

:sarcasm:
Obviously all QBs have to deliver a catchable ball. As we've discussed previously, OSU has been a WR factory in recent years, producing Parris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, and Michael Thomas over the past few years (in addition to the guys I already listed).

Dwayne Haskins put up 70% / 345 yards passing / 50 TD /8 INT / 174 rating his last season with the Buckeyes. Stroud last year was at 67% / 283 yards passing / 41 TD / 6 INT / 177 rating. Those other receivers played with JT Barrett and Cardale Jones. At some point, one has to wonder if it's the system / program more than just the QB. Not saying Stroud can't be a good pro QB, only that OSU has put up some crazy numbers over the years (so it's a lot harder to tell what his future lies).

Last edited:
Dwayne Haskins put up 70%/345 yards passing/50 TD/8 INT/174 rating his last season with the Buckeyes. Stroud last year was at 67%/283 yards passing/41 TD/6INT/177 rating. Those other receivers played with JT Barrett and Cardale Jones. At some point, one has to wonder if it's the system / program more than just the QB. Not saying Stroud can't be a good pro QB, only that OSU has put up some crazy numbers over the years (so it's a lot harder to tell what his future lies).
Feels like helmet scouting.

Stroud is going to be a solid pro. Everything I’ve seen points to that.

Dwayne Haskins put up 70%/345 yards passing/50 TD/8 INT/174 rating his last season with the Buckeyes. Stroud last year was at 67%/283 yards passing/41 TD/6INT/177 rating. Those other receivers played with JT Barrett and Cardale Jones. At some point, one has to wonder if it's the system / program more than just the QB. Not saying Stroud can't be a good pro QB, only that OSU has put up some crazy numbers over the years (so it's a lot harder to tell what his future lies).

I generally don't watch a ton of college football. However, our son went to OSU from 2016-2020 (with my wife's family being from Ohio, he was interested in going there all through high school). So I've watched a ton of their games over the past 10 years. Maybe you're right and Stroud will be a top producing QB at the pro level. But I can't say that he was SOOOOO much better than the other QBs that came through OSU. Stroud had some moments and games where he looked great . . . but IMO he didn't have a ton of those games and moments. I would say that about all the OSU QBs. Maybe that's being unfair to Stroud, but my eyes and brain don't register him being a cut above or standing out above his predecessors. I personally think Fields was a bigger threat than Stroud was in college. But I am far from a collegiate talent evaluator.

I generally don't watch a ton of college football. However, our son went to OSU from 2016-2020 (with my wife's family being from Ohio, he was interested in going there all through high school). So I've watched a ton of their games over the past 10 years. Maybe you're right and Stroud will be a top producing QB at the pro level. But I can't say that he was SOOOOO much better than the other QBs that came through OSU. Stroud had some moments and games where he looked great . . . but IMO he didn't have a ton of those games and moments. I would say that about all the OSU QBs. Maybe that's being unfair to Stroud, but my eyes and brain don't register him being a cut above or standing out above his predecessors. I personally think Fields was a bigger threat than Stroud was in college. But I am far from a collegiate talent evaluator.
It’s worth watching McNown’s evaluation of Stroud then. He picks apart his game & has great insight as to what his positive & negative attributes are. That whole video series is worth watching. It was filmed before CAR traded up, IIRC.

Not saying he is Burrow, but JJ and Chase at LSU is unfair.

At some point, one has to wonder if it's the system / program more than just the QB. Not saying Stroud can't be a good pro QB, only that OSU has put up some crazy numbers over the years (so it's a lot harder to tell what his future lies).
It's obviously a great system with talent that outclasses probably 95% of it's opponents - but Stroud does seem to have plenty of talent in his own right. His accuracy appears to be much better than Fields' and Jones' (even if their completion %s were close). Stroud is such a natural looking passer, while none of those guys looked that part. But your point is valid in that having receivers that are considerably more talented than the secondary they're facing makes his job much easier - he'll surely not have that kind of advantage in the pros - whether that's ok or not is yet to be seen.

Last edited:
But your point is valid in that having receivers that are 60% more talented than the secondary their facing makes his job much easier - he'll surely not have that kind of advantage in the pros - whether that's ok or not is yet to be seen.
Also worth noting that having those great receivers virtually eliminated the need for him to run/improvise with his legs.

Then in the Peach Bowl he ran for a respectable amount of yardage & everyone kinda went, “oh snap, he has that in his tool kit?!” which people spent years questioning.

And while yes, it’s a sample size of 1 game, it’s more just showing the skill set that people had previously questioned. And he showed it against what was basically an NFL offense, for all intents and purposes.

So having elite WR in college might have actually hidden some of his skill set is the point I’m trying to make here.

C.J. STROUD QB, COLLEGE PLAYER

Panthers will send 11 representatives to Ohio State's Pro Day.

This is notable considering the Panthers now hold the top overall selection in the Draft after dealing away D.J. Moore and four picks to the Bears. Clearly the team has been doing their homework on C.J. Stroud and they will now ensure they have ample eyes on one of the top rookie quarterbacks in this year's draft. Major betting markets currently place Stroud as the favorite to be selected first overall on April 27th.
Mar 21, 2023, 8:40 PM ET

C.J. STROUD QB, COLLEGE PLAYER

Panthers will send 11 representatives to Ohio State's Pro Day.

This is notable considering the Panthers now hold the top overall selection in the Draft after dealing away D.J. Moore and four picks to the Bears. Clearly the team has been doing their homework on C.J. Stroud and they will now ensure they have ample eyes on one of the top rookie quarterbacks in this year's draft. Major betting markets currently place Stroud as the favorite to be selected first overall on April 27th.
Mar 21, 2023, 8:40 PM ET
11 people? What, are they going to throw him a party?

Not sure why anyone(32 NFL Teams) would take anybody at QB ahead of Stroud this year
You cannot convince me anyone is further along in their development right now than he is.
He might not ever be a Top 5 QB in the NFL but I doubt he is bottom of the barrel.
Most of the other names are scary including an undersized QB listed at less than 200 lbs, a guy that didn't win any big games at Kentucky and a project from Florida.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread