What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB C.J. Stroud, HOU (3 Viewers)

Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Justin Herbert , Najee Harris and Travis Etienne all came back for extra years and none suffered for it.
Stroud has NIL opportunities to help offset the lack of wealth (which in the long run will be completely irrelevant for him) in the short term.
He has zero gold pants.
He has zero B1G Championship appearances, let alone rings.
He has zero playoff wins as a starter.
He's been to NYC in December twice and still has a shelf instead of a mantle.

Tons of reasons for him to come back. As a raging OSU fan I pray he does. I don't expect him to, but it won't be nearly as shocking as it would have 5 years ago, especially because of the NIL money.

Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Justin Herbert , Najee Harris and Travis Etienne all came back for extra years and none suffered for it.
Stroud has NIL opportunities to help offset the lack of wealth (which in the long run will be completely irrelevant for him) in the short term.
He has zero gold pants.

Tons of reasons for him to come back. As a raging OSU fan I pray he does. I don't expect him to, but it won't be nearly as shocking as it would have 5 years ago, especially because of the NIL money.
Herbert suffered a little financially. He goes higher than #6 in the 2019 draft for sure. Probably no lower than #5 to TB instead of Devin White, where he gets to throw to Evans/Godwin, assuming nobody trades up with NYJ or Oak.

If Stroud does stay, I think the Bears #1 pick becomes a ton more valuable, as there isn't that fallback option for teams that miss out on Young, unless teams fall in love in Levis.

Stroud if he stays is likely the #3 QB in the 2024 draft.

He has zero gold pants.

Herbert suffered a little financially. He goes higher than #6 in the 2019 draft for sure. Probably no lower than #5 to TB instead of Devin White, where he gets to throw to Evans/Godwin, assuming nobody trades up with NYJ or Oak.

If Stroud does stay, I think the Bears #1 pick becomes a ton more valuable, as there isn't that fallback option for teams that miss out on Young, unless teams fall in love in Levis.

Stroud if he stays is likely the #3 QB in the 2024 draft.

Agreed about the Bears pick...it already is valuable but if Stroud stays there will be no discount regardless of where the other team's #1 is because plan B (unless you are all in on Levis) is gone...this would also cause reverberations in the veteran FA/trade market.

Yes -- very happy he's leaving...it's hard to beat someone (badly) twice in a row. Three times is even harder against a quality opponent. Of course, this November's game is back in Ann Arbor.
Yes, would much rather take their chances vs his replacement. Also a slight boon to Lions fans hoping his presence near the top of the draft pushes down a top defensive player to their first round picks.

PFF:

QB C.J. Stroud declares for the 2023 NFL Draft, ending speculation about return to Ohio State

Excerpt:

WHERE STROUD STACKS UP IN THE 2023 QUARTERBACK CLASS​

As of now, PFF lead draft analyst Mike Renner has Stroud as the No. 5 prospect and the third-best quarterback in the 2023 NFL Draft, behind Alabama’s Bryce Young and Kentucky’s Will Levis.

When evaluating quarterbacks for the next level, it’s important to note whether they’re a “shooter” or a “scorer.” It’s an analogy coined by FOX Sports and NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks, and helpful when evaluating Stroud.

For nearly his entire career, Stroud has been an excellent shooter. He’s knockdown when everything around him is perfect. His 35 passing touchdowns when kept clean led the nation this season.

When asked to create on his own, though, he can get into trouble. Heading into the semifinal against Georgia, Stroud was one of the Power Five’s 15 worst quarterbacks under pressure this year in both grade (34.0) and turnover-worthy play rate (7.8%).

Against the Bulldogs, though, he was a bona fide bucket-getter. His 77.6 passing grade and two big-time throws under duress were both career highs.

That performance showed that Stroud was at least capable of when creating on his own. Still, a team without a great supporting cast like the Houston Texans might be hesitant to take him since he’ll have to consistently be a “scorer” there.

PFF:

QB C.J. Stroud declares for the 2023 NFL Draft, ending speculation about return to Ohio State

Excerpt:

WHERE STROUD STACKS UP IN THE 2023 QUARTERBACK CLASS​

As of now, PFF lead draft analyst Mike Renner has Stroud as the No. 5 prospect and the third-best quarterback in the 2023 NFL Draft, behind Alabama’s Bryce Young and Kentucky’s Will Levis.

When evaluating quarterbacks for the next level, it’s important to note whether they’re a “shooter” or a “scorer.” It’s an analogy coined by FOX Sports and NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks, and helpful when evaluating Stroud.

For nearly his entire career, Stroud has been an excellent shooter. He’s knockdown when everything around him is perfect. His 35 passing touchdowns when kept clean led the nation this season.

When asked to create on his own, though, he can get into trouble. Heading into the semifinal against Georgia, Stroud was one of the Power Five’s 15 worst quarterbacks under pressure this year in both grade (34.0) and turnover-worthy play rate (7.8%).

Against the Bulldogs, though, he was a bona fide bucket-getter. His 77.6 passing grade and two big-time throws under duress were both career highs.

That performance showed that Stroud was at least capable of when creating on his own. Still, a team without a great supporting cast like the Houston Texans might be hesitant to take him since he’ll have to consistently be a “scorer” there.
Ranking Stoud behind Levis is ridiculous and I've been a UK fan for 55+ years. He kind of loses credibility IMO.

Ranking Stoud behind Levis is ridiculous and I've been a UK fan for 55+ years. He kind of loses credibility IMO.
Agreed. Stroud is so much more polished, reads defenses significantly better, and is a better decision maker under pressure.

Levis pales in all of those categories, and I’m not sure he has a better arm. Stroud makes all the throws, with touch and accuracy. Levis plays with moxie & makes some killer throws, no doubt - but he’s also throws mind-numbing picks and lacks the touch I’ve seen from Stroud.

I see stroud as clearly ahead of Levis, and it’s not particularly close.

Not that the Colts will get him, or even want him, but his presence gives them a better opportunity in obtaining a QB at 4, or trading up to get one without having to sell the farm to do so.
It’s interesting - almost every mock I’ve seen has the colts either dealing to 1.01 (which I doubt) or sitting back at 4 and getting Stroud anyway, while AZ & CHI take defense, & HOU takes Young.

Q for you as a Colts fan - assuming no one trades up to 1 (making Young/Stroud the 1-2 picks) who do you see INDY picking if not a QB?

Q2: if they don’t pick a QB, who is their likely 2023 starter?

I feel like they’d be a good landing spot for Stroud, so I’m interested to hear your reasoning.

Not that the Colts will get him, or even want him, but his presence gives them a better opportunity in obtaining a QB at 4, or trading up to get one without having to sell the farm to do so.
It’s interesting - almost every mock I’ve seen has the colts either dealing to 1.01 (which I doubt) or sitting back at 4 and getting Stroud anyway, while AZ & CHI take defense, & HOU takes Young.

Q for you as a Colts fan - assuming no one trades up to 1 (making Young/Stroud the 1-2 picks) who do you see INDY picking if not a QB?

I feel like they’d be a good landing spot for Stroud, so I’m interested to hear your reasoning.
I want Stroud or Young to be the pick for the Colts, but there is always the possibility it doesn't happen. If the Colts don't get the QB they covet I can see them trading back and getting more picks. I hope Levis isn't the guy they take at 4, or wherever they pick. If they miss out on a QB with the first pick I can see them waiting for the Raiders to release Carr and getting him for nothing and draft their QB of the future later. They could also get someone like Hooker in the 2nd round, not as a 2023 starter however.

I want Stroud or Young to be the pick for the Colts, but there is always the possibility it doesn't happen. If the Colts don't get the QB they covet I can see them trading back and getting more picks. I hope Levis isn't the guy they take at 4, or wherever they pick. If they miss out on a QB with the first pick I can see them waiting for the Raiders to release Carr and getting him for nothing and draft their QB of the future later. They could also get someone like Hooker in the 2nd round, not as a 2023 starter however.
I feel like the Colts will unload the chamber to move up. If they cannot move up to 1.01 for Young, I don't think they can sit back and wait to see of Stroud falls to them at 1.04. Picking up another team's castoff, such as Carr, cannot be an option again this season, even if it does make sense on paper. The Colts have had too many failed attempts at that.

I feel like the Colts will unload the chamber to move up. If they cannot move up to 1.01 for Young, I don't think they can sit back and wait to see of Stroud falls to them at 1.04. Picking up another team's castoff, such as Carr, cannot be an option again this season, even if it does make sense on paper. The Colts have had too many failed attempts at that.
While I agree with you about too many failed atempts at veteran QBs, I do not feel they will back up the Brinks truck to move from 4 to 1. They may like Levis the most for all I know and would take him at 1.4. I hope not, but that may be their thinking, to sit tight at 4 and get one of the 3 QBs. Or they may go a different direction at 4 if "their guy" is gone.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh

CJ Stroud is reportedly the “apple” of the Carolina Panthers’ eye at the moment.
The Panthers currently hold the ninth overall pick in the NFL Draft.
The Ohio State QB is currently the favorite to be the second QB taken off the board View attachment 3419

I would be surprised if Carolina does not get very aggressive...there Owner is extremely impatient right now, and I cannot picture Frank Reich putting himself in another situation with retread QBs...if he fails there, he probably won't get a third chance.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh

CJ Stroud is reportedly the “apple” of the Carolina Panthers’ eye at the moment.
The Ohio State QB is currently the favorite to be the second QB taken off the board View attachment 3419

I would be surprised if Carolina does not get very aggressive...there Owner is extremely impatient right now, and I cannot picture Frank Reich putting himself in another situation with retread QBs...if he fails there, he probably won't get a third chance.
While he may not want another retread QB, he may not last long enough for a rookie QB to bear fruit.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh

While he may not want another retread QB, he may not last long enough for a rookie QB to bear fruit.

He is gonna have to figure something out...if not he will be done as an HC,

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Several NFL scouts reportedly believe the gap between CJ Stroud and Bryce Young “isn’t as big” as some may believe.

The Ohio State QB led all of college football in passer rating last season 👀
I agree - and when you factor in his closer to prototypical size, it narrows it even further.

And he answered a lot of critics regarding mobility and willingness to break the pocket and run in the Peach Bowl.

C.J. Stroud Reminds Former NFL Scout of Warren Moon
Stroud navigates the pocket like a ten-year vet, and he reads defenses like one as well.

This bolds well for the next level.
he demonstrates smooth ball handling. It’s like he has eyes in the back of his head, how he feels and evades pass rushers.

While he can move around and pick up a few yards here and there on his feet, make no mistake, the pocket is where Stroud does his best work.
... he processes what he is seeing pre-snap and post-snap incredibly fast.
... Stroud puts the ball right in receiver’s hands more times than not, and when he misses, it’s not by much.

He puts receivers in a great position to run right through the grab, and pick up that much coveted yardage after the catch.
... NFL arm strength

C.J. Stroud Reminds Former NFL Scout of Warren Moon
Stroud navigates the pocket like a ten-year vet, and he reads defenses like one as well.

This bolds well for the next level.
he demonstrates smooth ball handling. It’s like he has eyes in the back of his head, how he feels and evades pass rushers.

While he can move around and pick up a few yards here and there on his feet, make no mistake, the pocket is where Stroud does his best work.
... he processes what he is seeing pre-snap and post-snap incredibly fast.
... Stroud puts the ball right in receiver’s hands more times than not, and when he misses, it’s not by much.

He puts receivers in a great position to run right through the grab, and pick up that much coveted yardage after the catch.
... NFL arm strength

That is a comp that gets your attention and makes you think.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
CJ Stroud’s accuracy is something ELSE 😳

The Ohio State QB is currently in California prepping for the NFL Combine.

Matt Bowen @MattBowen41
#OhioState QB CJ Stroud.

Watched the tape vs. the Georgia defense…

Saw more mobility with Stroud (inside/outside the pocket). Had to move, re-set his throwing window vs. interior pressure. Made second-reaction plays, too.

If he some ended up in Detroit ( which he won’t ), I’d probably be taking him at 1.01 over Bijan in SuperFlex

He's the only guy that I would be OK with the Colts moving up to #1. The rest of them, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread