What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Bryce Young, CAR (3 Viewers)

Looks about 5’9” and despite adding weight for combine plays at around 170-175.

Tiny tiny guy.

Better odds of playing an Oompa Loompa in the movies than being a successful NFL QB.

Bust of the century.
Well that’s a bit much.

Did you actually ever see him play in college? There’s quite a body of work that suggests he might be a very good pro QB.

I’m just sayin.

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report

Bryce Young has been sensational in draft meetings, according to league sources who’ve met with him. Young’s football acumen is off the charts, as one executive explained to me. As is his ability to understand advanced coverages, even ones that he’s yet to see. @theScore

Eric Edholm @Eric_Edholm
Bryce Young handling the size questions — all of them — perfectly

Teams will have their opinions on that, but maturity-wise, he’s a future PR director’s dream

Tiny tiny guy.

Better odds of playing an Oompa Loompa in the movies than being a successful NFL QB.

Bust of the century.
Well that’s a bit much.

Did you actually ever see him play in college? There’s quite a body of work that suggests he might be a very good pro QB.

I’m just sayin.

He’s very talented.

Just smaller than any other successful NFL QB in history so will be interesting to see.

Maybe this time it’s different and he’ll start the trend of tiny QBs dominating the NFL.

Maybe this time it’s different and he’ll start the trend of tiny QBs dominating the NFL.
I don’t know about the slippery slope, but it’s certainly possible for this one small-ish quarterback to dominate.
I don’t really expect him to DOMINATE!!!
but I do think he can be a very good QB. It’s not Like he was beating up the unphysical PAC 10 or small schools in college.

I don’t know about the slippery slope, but it’s certainly possible for this one small-ish quarterback to dominate.
but I do think he can be a very good QB. It’s not Like he was beating up the unphysical PAC 10 or small schools in college.
Agree. It’s possible he can be an outlier and become the Muggsy Bogues of the NFL.

But being good isn’t what you want out of your top 5 NFL draft pick. You want great.

Agree. It’s possible he can be an outlier and become the Muggsy Bogues of the NFL.

But being good isn’t what you want out of your top 5 NFL draft pick. You want great.
I’d love it if the top ten teams all agreed a and passed on him. (Almost zero chance he makes it past Seattle)

Exactly.

A write-up on how historically different it would be for a QB this size to hit in the NFL. There aren't a bunch of comps, certainly none at that height AND weight.

I don't think there's any way to say it definitely makes a difference or it definitely WON'T, because this is true uncharted territory.

Where I come out is that I definitely think he could hit, but ideally, in the draft, you could get a discount on drafting him at that size, like Russell Wilson (3rd round).

I know that by doing my own rankings I'll have some outlier opinions from time to time, but this Bryce Young discourse is fascinating to me. I think he's BY FAR the best player (not just QB, player) in this draft class. If he were a few inches taller, he might be the best QB prospect in 10+ years, he might be anyway.

I'm not that worried about his height. It'd be a drawback if he wasn't excellent in every other way, but I'm seeing a guy who has a big arm, great accuracy, great pocket presence, outstanding creativity and off platform ability (where he really separates from Stroud and co.) and very good mobility. I think people are worried about height way too much and missing that he's literally good to elite at every single thing a QB has to do.

Pocket Mahomes isn't the worst comparison. I also think he can gain 15-20 pounds without major issue, which would put him at pretty much Russell Wilson size.

I'll go this far, factoring in contracts and that he'll be on a rookie deal for several years. I think Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow are probably the only NFL QBs I'd rather have going forward.

I love Justin Fields, loved him at OSU, and as a Bears fan, when he was drafted, his was the first jersey I'd bought in at least 15 years. I'd be 100% ok if the Bears drafted Young and traded Fields.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bryce Young's size "doesn't matter enough, from the people I've spoken with, to knock him out of the No. 1 spot."​

The size debates on Young have been part of the backdrop of draft conversation for some time, though this coming out before Young officially weighs in at the combine is an interesting matter of timing. Most outside evaluators have Young ranked in the top 10 of the draft class -- he's third for Mel Kiper, third for Daniel Jeremiah, and third for Dane Brugler. The quarterback premium takes care of the rest. It does appear that this sets the scene for the first draft debate to be "Who will trade up for Young?"
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 3, 2023, 3:20 PM ET

I know that by doing my own rankings I'll have some outlier opinions from time to time, but this Bryce Young discourse is fascinating to me. I think he's BY FAR the best player (not just QB, player) in this draft class. If he were a few inches taller, he might be the best QB prospect in 10+ years, he might be anyway.

I'm not that worried about his height. It'd be a drawback if he wasn't excellent in every other way, but I'm seeing a guy who has a big arm, great accuracy, great pocket presence, outstanding creativity and off platform ability (where he really separates from Stroud and co.) and very good mobility. I think people are worried about height way too much and missing that he's literally good to elite at every single thing a QB has to do.

Pocket Mahomes isn't the worst comparison. I also think he can gain 15-20 pounds without major issue, which would put him at pretty much Russell Wilson size.

I'll go this far, factoring in contracts and that he'll be on a rookie deal for several years. I think Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow are probably the only NFL QBs I'd rather have going forward.

I love Justin Fields, loved him at OSU, and as a Bears fan, when he was drafted, his was the first jersey I'd bought in at least 15 years. I'd be 100% ok if the Bears drafted Young and traded Fields.
Good stuff.
But I think I’d still have him slightly below Trevor. Ultimately I just really hope he goes to a franchise willing to protect him and has a good Line.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bryce Young's size "doesn't matter enough, from the people I've spoken with, to knock him out of the No. 1 spot."​

The size debates on Young have been part of the backdrop of draft conversation for some time, though this coming out before Young officially weighs in at the combine is an interesting matter of timing. Most outside evaluators have Young ranked in the top 10 of the draft class -- he's third for Mel Kiper, third for Daniel Jeremiah, and third for Dane Brugler. The quarterback premium takes care of the rest. It does appear that this sets the scene for the first draft debate to be "Who will trade up for Young?"
I wish my wife agreed with this.

I wish my wife agreed with this.
🤔 she’s your wife. Clearly you’re still in her No. 1 spot.

I agree completely with your takes on this one. Some of the discourse seems crazy to me… If the height was that big of a problem, it would have been that big of a problem already instead of him being incredibly successful over the last few years.

I agree completely with your takes on this one. Some of the discourse seems crazy to me… If the height was that big of a problem, it would have been that big of a problem already instead of him being incredibly successful over the last few years.
And doing it against the highest level of competition in both high school(Mater Dei) and college(The SEC), with the latter being easily one of Alabama's least-talented teams in the last several years this past season.

, with the latter being easily one of Alabama's least-talented teams in the last several years this past season
Ok, we aren't doing this are we?
Bama’s receivers last year were…less than stellar. Brooks was their leading receiver and ranked 14th in the SEC with 623 yards. Burton was also a huge disappointment. These guys were a far cry from guys like Jameson Williams or Devonta Smith of previous years. I didn’t realize this was a hot take.

The O-line was also decent, but lacked consistency. Bryce made a lot of magic happen last year getting outside the pocket, extending the play, and eventually finding someone downfield.

Bama’s receivers last year were…less than stellar. Brooks was their leading receiver and ranked 14th in the SEC with 623 yards. Burton was also a huge disappointment. These guys were a far cry from guys like Jameson Williams or Devonta Smith of previous years. I didn’t realize this was a hot take.
You are right of course. Relative to other Bama teams, Bryce had to "overcome"

Relative to everyone else in the country except like two teams, he didn't overcome anything. Sill driving a Ferrari, with 4 and 5 star athletes scattered on the roster.

His Bama teams weren't as good as oher teams, but were they bad enough to give him credit like he was was dealt a bad hand? No.

Relative to everyone else in the country except like two teams, he didn't overcome anything. Sill driving a Ferrari, with 4 and 5 star athletes scattered on the roster.

His Bama teams weren't as good as oher teams, but were they bad enough to give him credit like he was was dealt a bad hand? No.
Sure. But he’s also racing against lambos in college’s toughest conference. Their offense outside of Bryce was probably average for the conference.

Being 100% real here.

Bryce should become involved in the Little People of America foundation.

They need a spokesman to advance their cause. While he may not qualify based on height he can relate in many ways due to being judged on his height.

He could give tickets out to little people and it would look good for the NFL to have them represented.

Sure. But he’s also racing against lambos in college’s toughest conference. Their offense outside of Bryce was probably average for the conference.
As much as I like Young, the bolded isn't true. There are 14 teams in the SEC. Not counting QBs, Alabama is still top-3 in offensive talent. Young certainly had a lot more to work with than fellow SEC QB Will Levis.

And doing it against the highest level of competition in both high school(Mater Dei) and college(The SEC), with the latter being easily one of Alabama's least-talented teams in the last several years this past season.
Exactly.

Being 100% real here.

They need a spokesman to advance their cause. While he may not qualify based on height he can relate in many ways due to being judged on his height.

He could give tickets out to little people and it would look good for the NFL to have them represented.

:fishing:

Being 100% real here.

He forgot to add that standing next to them will make him look taller.

As much as I like Young, the bolded isn't true. There are 14 teams in the SEC. Not counting QBs, Alabama is still top-3 in offensive talent. Young certainly had a lot more to work with than fellow SEC QB Will Levis.
With Gibbs and the line, you’re right. The receivers we could argue otherwise. It doesn’t “prove it” but none of the Alabama receivers even made the SEC honorable mention team.

But yes, if the point is simply that Bryce was in a good spot to succeed, that’s absolutely true.

Last edited:
Being 100% real here.

He forgot to add that standing next to them will make him look taller.
A missed opportunity, really.

Tiny tiny guy.

Bust of the century.
Well that’s a bit much.

I’m just sayin.

He’s very talented.

Just smaller than any other successful NFL QB in history so will be interesting to see.

Before Brees it was unheard of for a 6'0" quarterback to make it in the NFL. First ballot hall of famer.

Russell Wilson was seen as tiny at 5'11". Superbowl champion.

Kyler Murray at 5'10" pushed that envelope further. Offensive rookie of the year.

The trend has started, it's just a question of what is causing it. Were all of those players really outliers? Or do the new NFL rules for quarterbacks make it easier for smaller guys to succeed?

I think things have changed enough that you have to throw out some of the old mindset towards height but his weight could genuinely be the showstopper. All those guys were over 200 coming out.

Kyler Murray at 5'10" pushed that envelope further. Offensive rookie of the year.

The trend has started, it's just a question of what is causing it. Were all of those players really outliers? Or do the new NFL rules for quarterbacks make it easier for smaller guys to succeed?
Yeah, if a guy that size makes it, now is the time.

I also think that him being close to Kyler, people are like, OK, that's good, he's Kyler size.

Seems to me Kyler didn't finish a season, and plays bad late in season, I am not sure being same size as Kyler (which he ISN'T, but whatever) gets him out of the woods.

I also think that him being close to Kyler, people are like, OK, that's good, he's Kyler size.

Seems to me Kyler didn't finish a season, and plays bad late in season, I am not sure being same size as Kyler (which he ISN'T, but whatever) gets him out of the woods.
Not finishing seasons and playing bad late in the season sounds like you’re describing Lamar, and he has the “required” NFL size.

All I’ve seen out of this kid up until this point is that he’s a baller. I’ll die on that hill until proven otherwise, and it sounds like most NFL teams share that same sentiment.

The main difference between Kyler and Bryce is the difference between adequate starters and franchise guys.
Bryce might get hurt, but you’ll never have to make him work hard or study the playbook.

Bryce might get hurt,
That's all I was really saying. I think his size issues are real, and weighing the same as Kyler doesn't eliminate them.

Also, a guy can also get hurt all the time, but maybe a season or two of Bryce's healthy years they win a title. Then it's worth it, no matter how long he plays.

I did t realize how much people dislike Kyler
He's been good but disappointing in both fantasy and NFL and now they're shopping Hopkins. If you have him in dynasty you're not going to trade him cheap but you're not comfortable with him as your only starter either. And nobody's over paying to get him so you're kind of stuck with him.

That said, a new regime could help. I don't know that I'd expect a career year this year but if you're rebuilding he could be a good buy low. Maybe they draft a wr this year and actually protect him.

Users who are viewing this thread