What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Bryce Young, CAR (1 Viewer)

And she said she's 5'7, so let's see, he is about an inch and half taller in this pic, so I guess Bryce is 6'1.

Mina, you a filthy liar, but love the tan lines.
“Nearly” 5’7”

He’s listed 6’, so that checks out.

OK, so hypothetical. Let’s say he’s been doing nothing but lifting weights and eating waffle house since the season ended. Shows up at the combine 6’, 205

How do we feel about him now?

Drew Brees 6’, 207 LBs

Not working out at combine. He'll weigh as much as possible at the combine, everyone will say, heeeyyy, 193 lbs, not bad! Then he'll never step on a scale again, and probabLy be about 185 at his pro day

Not working out at combine. He'll weigh as much as possible at the combine, everyone will say, heeeyyy, 193 lbs, not bad! Then he'll never step on a scale again, and probabLy be about 185 at his pro day
Is that the word? I heard a few days ago he was expected to show up at 200 pounds for the combine and when I heard that I thought to myself I bet he won't work out.

Interesting article about S2 cognition test that is given now at the combine. It was mentioned on the Brock Purdy thread. Purdy score was in elite status. It's like a 40 yard dash mental test. Wondering what the scores will be on this new group.

How concerned should the Colts be about No. 1 quarterback prospect Bryce Young's size?

Excerpt:

How big is Alabama quarterback Bryce Young?​

Young is listed a 6-foot, 194 pounds.

That is historically small for a first-round quarterback. The last time a quarterback was taken in the first round who was the same size or smaller was 1960 – Richie Lewis, at 6-foot, 190 pounds, went No. 4 to Washington. Lewis played two seasons in the NFL and threw 99 passes.

Since 2000, nine quarterbacks have appeared in an NFL game listed at 6-1, 200 pounds or smaller: Jeff Garcia, Tim Rattay, Thaddeus Lewis, Doug Flutie, Tyler Huntley, Kellen Moore, John Wolford, Ty Detmer and Koy Detmer. They have started a total of 177 games (106 by Garcia) and appeared in five Pro Bowls (4 for Garcia, 1 for Flutie).

There is, effectively, almost no useful historical data on a quarterback Young's size.

The golden age of short quarterbacks​

There were two quarterbacks 6-1 or shorter taken in the first round between 1968 and 1998 ‒ Clint Longley and Jim McMahon. (Bob Griese was taken in 1967 and had a hall of fame career.) Cade McNown (1999), Michael Vick (2001) and Rex Grossman (2003) were selected, then it was 11 years until Johnny Manziel went in 2014.

Teams then used the No. 1 pick on short quarterbacks in 2018 (Baker Mayfield) and 2019 (Kyler Murray), and the No. 5 pick in 2020 (Tua Tagovailoa). The mixed results of those three are unlikely to cause an NFL team to push Young higher on its board.

Playing the Bryce Young Weight Game While We Wait for Answers on Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr

Excerpt:

As we mentioned in the morning column, a lot is going to be made of the first number in Bryce Young’s weight this week at the scouting combine—whether it’s a 2 or a 1. And after we find out, the rest of what Young will do will happen behind closed doors. He made the decision a while back not to work out here. But he will do the medical stuff and interviews with teams.

Does it matter that he’s skipping the workout? Yes and no.

Yes, in that it’ll make people wonder if the weight is artificial, with chances seemingly good that he’ll turn around and workout, but not weigh in, at his pro day. No, in that, well, his game is a little like those of his Alabama predecessors, Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones, in that his talents aren’t best displayed in that sort of setting.

“You already know the answer to [how he’ll handle the next few weeks],” an AFC exec said. “He’s gonna eat sushi and potato chips and sodium the night before and puff up and he’s gonna get that magical two-zero-zero, and then he’s not doing squat. But I wouldn’t, either, if I was him. The combine’s not for him, because he’s got a middle-of-the-pack arm. His game is not built for the combine. It’s built for playing ball.”

Indeed, it is.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports an AFC executive said Alabama QB Bryce Young's size is "a major deal" for teams ahead of the 2023 draft.​

ESPN's Todd McShay told Breer that while he "loves" Young as an advanced, NFL-ready prospect -- going so far as to describe Young as a "smaller version of Patrick Mahomes" -- he would be "scared to death" to take him near the top of the draft because he's around 5'10" and less than 200 pounds. Betting on Young to be a long-term franchise quarterback, McShay said, is betting on an outlier prospect whose size will leave some teams looking elsewhere for a rookie QB. Young is not expected to work out at this week's NFL Combine.
SOURCE: SI.com
Feb 28, 2023, 9:11 AM ET

Seems like every negative report we see has McShay’s name somewhere in the article.

Not saying he’s right or wrong, it’s just a trend I’m noticing.

Yes, he will weigh in, but not work out.
Then, at his pro day, he will work out, but not weigh in.
I don't think it fools anyone, but maybe the team that drafts him can be like, yeah, our QB weighs 200 pounds.

If the Colts do trade and take Young, it's a pretty stark contrast between him and the size/build of Luck.

Bryce Young will not throw at the Combine; he will save that for his Pro Day workout. The focus at the Combine for Young will be his size. If he measures in at 5'10" and 200 pounds, it will be considered a success for Young. Size is the biggest knock on Young, so prepare for some damage control from his PR team. However, I believe once he throws, NFL teams will largely dismiss size concerns. Young is, quite simply, the most talented passer in this QB class, and he will likely retain his hold on the top pick in the NFL Draft.

It's funny to think that him packing on 15 pounds just to get weighed at the Combine is going to fool anyone - or as if 200 pounds is "enough" even if it was real weight. He would be the outlier of the outliers if he was a successful NFL QB.
Young would be in rare company, but he is taller than Kyler Murray (or Doug Flutie), and I suspect he is essentially the same height as Drew Brees and Russell Wilson. A team may need to move the pocket for Young, but I believe he can be successful.

Yes, he will weigh in, but not work out.
Then, at his pro day, he will work out, but not weigh in.
I don't think it fools anyone, but maybe the team that drafts him can be like, yeah, our QB weighs 200 pounds.
At least they’ll know he *can* add weight. It matters.

Sure, he has the “physical skills” to be elite college QB and many are gambling he can translate that into NFL quality QB but the stature he has might/will seriously limit his ability to sustain a career. He is NOT MY QB1
Nobody is fooled by his weigh in/ no workout then show skills at pro-day.
It is reality. He is playing it up to max advantage and it is clear sign of limitations

Last edited:
Any NFL team that drafts Bryce Young needs to feel like they are getting a quarterback who will essentially become a better version of peak Jeff Garcia.
Which, to be fair, could win a team a Super Bowl. Peak Jeff Garcia was a monster. If he’s better than that? Yes please.

Looks about 5’9” and despite adding weight for combine plays at around 170-175.

Tiny tiny guy.

Better odds of playing an Oompa Loompa in the movies than being a successful NFL QB.

Bust of the century.

Users who are viewing this thread