What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brian Hoyer, LV (1 Viewer)

Your last sentence just buttressed my case.Last year, Hoyer was clearly the better QB, yet Weeden got the nod, they had more invested in Weeds and needed to see if it would blossom.

You can hate the process , but it is , what it is.
People forget too soon and way too easily when looking back with 20-20 hindsight.

In last year's preseason Browns QB Brandon Weeden lead the NFL in quarterback passer rating.

He was tearing it up and was looking like a great fit for Norv Turner's verticle-stretch passing attack.

Saying that Brian Hoyer was clearly the best QB is complete and utter :bs: Hoyer was not playing better last year in training camp and preseason when the desision on who the starter was going to be was made. Heck even Jason Cambell was playing better than Hoyer in the preseason. Hoyer was not seen as a starting caliber QB by anyone other than Mike Lombardi who said that when he signed him. Lombardi was the only one on the team who was on-record as saying the pick of Brandon Weeden was a desperate move and he never really backed him.

Although no one wants to admit it, Brandon Weeden was looking good in last year's preseason and he looked like he would be a good fit in Norv Turner's verticle-stretch passing attack system.

Hoyer didn't outperform anyone but Brandon Weeden was leading the NFL in QB passer rating in the preseason and had people thinking he would be a good fit in Norv Turner's offense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1740312-its-time-to-buy-into-brandon-weeden-after-another-dominant-preseason-showing

It's Time to Buy into Brandon Weeden After Another Dominant Preseason Showing By Andrea Hangst , AFC North Lead Writer Aug 16, 2013Though the numerous injuries—to running back Dion Lewis, tight end Gary Barnidge and offensive lineman Jason Pinkston—might overshadow the day, the biggest story out of the Cleveland Browns' 24-6 Week 2 preseason defeat of the Detroit Lions is how well quarterback Brandon Weeden played.

In fact, there may be no better player in the NFL during these tune-up contests that precede the regular season.

In Thursday's win, Weeden completed eight of his 12 passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns. His passer rating was a nearly perfect 137.8, up from a not-at-all-bad 127.7 in Week 1's defeat of the St. Louis Rams.

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot Follow

How do you follow a 127.7 rating? With a 137.8 rating. That's #Browns Weeden tonight: 8/12, 117 yards, 2 TDs.

6:34 PM - 15 Aug 2013

In two games and six series, Weeden has completed 18 of his 25 pass attempts for 229 yards and three touchdowns, as ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi points out. Further, he's thrown zero interceptions and is reacting to pressure better than before, making accurate throws before being hit or smartly tossing the ball away instead of forcing bad passes as he did last year.

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi Follow#Browns Weeden thru 2 g/6 series: 18 of 25, 229 y, 3 TD.

6:47 PM - 15 Aug 2013
As further icing on this sweet preseason cake, the Browns' first team has put up 27 points to just three for the opposition, signaling both the offense and defense seem to be performing at a higher level than a mere year ago.

Daryl Ruiter @RuiterWrongFAN Follow

#Browns 1st team's thus far in preseason lead opposition 27-3

6:44 PM - 15 Aug 2013
Though it's just preseason—and thus, the easiest level of competition the Browns will see this year, regardless of opponent—it's hard to not get excited. This is the best the Browns have looked with Weeden under center.

Forget the so-called battle that we're supposed to believe is still playing out between Weeden and Jason Campbell—this is Weeden's job, and he's earned it in these past two games.

Prior to this summer, Weeden's critics didn't have to look far to bemoan another year of him as Cleveland's starter. It wasn't just the Browns' 5-11 2012 record, Weeden's 57.4 completion percentage or that he threw just 14 touchdowns to 17 interceptions—it was Weeden's passes being batted; it was his tendency to stare down his receivers and pat the ball before throws that also drew ire and stoked the belief that the soon-to-be 30-year-old passer wasn't the long-term solution at the position.

But, so far this preseason, Weeden has proved that appearances can be deceiving, especially when talking about a quarterback's very first season in the NFL.

Bracie Smathers said:
Your last sentence just buttressed my case.Last year, Hoyer was clearly the better QB, yet Weeden got the nod, they had more invested in Weeds and needed to see if it would blossom.

People forget too soon and way too easily when looking back with 20-20 hindsight.

In last year's preseason Browns QB Brandon Weeden lead the NFL in quarterback passer rating.

He was tearing it up and was looking like a great fit for Norv Turner's verticle-stretch passing attack.

Saying that Brian Hoyer was clearly the best QB is complete and utter :bs: Hoyer was not playing better last year in training camp and preseason when the desision on who the starter was going to be was made. Heck even Jason Cambell was playing better than Hoyer in the preseason. Hoyer was not seen as a starting caliber QB by anyone other than Mike Lombardi who said that when he signed him. Lombardi was the only one on the team who was on-record as saying the pick of Brandon Weeden was a desperate move and he never really backed him.

Although no one wants to admit it, Brandon Weeden was looking good in last year's preseason and he looked like he would be a good fit in Norv Turner's verticle-stretch passing attack system.

Hoyer didn't outperform anyone but Brandon Weeden was leading the NFL in QB passer rating in the preseason and had people thinking he would be a good fit in Norv Turner's offense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1740312-its-time-to-buy-into-brandon-weeden-after-another-dominant-preseason-showing

It's Time to Buy into Brandon Weeden After Another Dominant Preseason Showing By Andrea Hangst , AFC North Lead WriterAug 16, 2013Though the numerous injuries—to running back Dion Lewis, tight end Gary Barnidge and offensive lineman Jason Pinkston—might overshadow the day, the biggest story out of the Cleveland Browns' 24-6 Week 2 preseason defeat of the Detroit Lions is how well quarterback Brandon Weeden played.

In fact, there may be no better player in the NFL during these tune-up contests that precede the regular season.

In Thursday's win, Weeden completed eight of his 12 passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns. His passer rating was a nearly perfect 137.8, up from a not-at-all-bad 127.7 in Week 1's defeat of the St. Louis Rams.

How do you follow a 127.7 rating? With a 137.8 rating. That's #Browns Weeden tonight: 8/12, 117 yards, 2 TDs.

In two games and six series, Weeden has completed 18 of his 25 pass attempts for 229 yards and three touchdowns, as ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi points out. Further, he's thrown zero interceptions and is reacting to pressure better than before, making accurate throws before being hit or smartly tossing the ball away instead of forcing bad passes as he did last year.

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi Follow#Browns Weeden thru 2 g/6 series: 18 of 25, 229 y, 3 TD.

As further icing on this sweet preseason cake, the Browns' first team has put up 27 points to just three for the opposition, signaling both the offense and defense seem to be performing at a higher level than a mere year ago.

Though it's just preseason—and thus, the easiest level of competition the Browns will see this year, regardless of opponent—it's hard to not get excited. This is the best the Browns have looked with Weeden under center.

Forget the so-called battle that we're supposed to believe is still playing out between Weeden and Jason Campbell—this is Weeden's job, and he's earned it in these past two games.

Prior to this summer, Weeden's critics didn't have to look far to bemoan another year of him as Cleveland's starter. It wasn't just the Browns' 5-11 2012 record, Weeden's 57.4 completion percentage or that he threw just 14 touchdowns to 17 interceptions—it was Weeden's passes being batted; it was his tendency to stare down his receivers and pat the ball before throws that also drew ire and stoked the belief that the soon-to-be 30-year-old passer wasn't the long-term solution at the position.

But, so far this preseason, Weeden has proved that appearances can be deceiving, especially when talking about a quarterback's very first season in the NFL.
How could i be so stupid as to forget who led the preseason in passer rating last year.

Bracie Smathers said:

It's Time to Buy into Brandon Weeden After Another Dominant Preseason Showing By Andrea Hangst , AFC North Lead WriterAug 16, 2013Though the numerous injuries—to running back Dion Lewis, tight end Gary Barnidge and offensive lineman Jason Pinkston—might overshadow the day, the biggest story out of the Cleveland Browns' 24-6 Week 2 preseason defeat of the Detroit Lions is how well quarterback Brandon Weeden played.

Oof, Weeden's preseason last year was a mirage. He was a stare down machine awaiting implosion when defenses started doing real defenses. Widely talked about around here that the locker room was on board with Hoyer, but the coaching staff was not. Most media types didn't take the talk seriously because it didn't show in practice reps or in preseason games, but the players were proven right once Hoyer finally got his shot.

:hifive:

Yeah not sure how Thomas would know what playing with Brady is like (maybe the Pro Bowl?) but it's still an interesting compliment given the QB battle.
I have to agree w ya there! :hifive:

I watch PMan and then I may watch some Rodgers. Before too long Im watching a Clev game and the QB's look exactly the same :doh:

All they do is toss the ball, Am I right :thanks:

Im totally just playing! But lets not hammer a guy for giving his perception

Most of the time, players wont share very much it seems..

P.S. Please don't try to fish for comparisons between the Mich QB's

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns' "best-case scenario" at quarterback is Brian Hoyer winning the starting job and Johnny Manziel featuring in a change-of-pace package.
The Browns are thinking small after Hoyer showed reasonably well in three starts last season, and Manziel irritated with his offseason antics. It's a decidedly Jets-esque plan, one that would be certain to cause consternation amongst teammates and fans. If the Browns indeed go with Hoyer — who is 28 and has made four career starts — for Week 1, they'd be best off leaving Manziel on the bench to learn rather than coming in to interrupt game flow with gimmick plays.

Related: Johnny Manziel

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

I think this team could surprise. Hoyer can be more than capable and they have the makings of a nasty defense. Barring injury, I'd be surprised to see JFF start a game until they are mathematically eliminated.

Hoyer looked good in his first preseason game. He missed out on a TD to Gordon that hit him in the hands on a perfectly thrown jump ball in the end zone. Time to see how Johnny Football looks in comparison.

Hoyer looked good in his first preseason game. He missed out on a TD to Gordon that hit him in the hands on a perfectly thrown jump ball in the end zone. Time to see how Johnny Football looks in comparison.
His best throw was a beautiful throw on the move maybe 30 yards down the field. He dropped it on the sideline to Austin perfectly in stride without any room to spare. It Austin right in the hands, it was a great touch throw. Austin looked bad though as not only did he drop it, he wasn't even able to get his footwork right and instead of dragging his second foot, he stepped out of bounds.

doubt cleveland would trade him but long shot he ends up in houston. they don't have a qb and O'brien coached hoyer in NE, i believe.

doubt cleveland would trade him but long shot he ends up in houston. they don't have a qb and O'brien coached hoyer in NE, i believe.
I would imagine that you are implying Browns should trade Hoyer? Because it would be "doing the right thing" for the local hometown Hero. Basically the perception would be giving Hoyer the opportunity to start. However Hou already has Fitzpatrick whose previously started for yrs in a Bills uniform. btw,I would rather see Hou go in the direction of someone like C Harnish if Fitz were injuried..

Lets avoid putting the cart before the horse though.. Its possible some guy believes the actual Johnny football is a WR in TB. :moneybag:

In other words lets see Hoyer get beat out, before guessing where he may "land"

Im anxious to find out why Rex is in town (thought Thigpen was serviceable) http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/08/12/rex-grossman-kyle-shanahan-johnny-manziel-cleveland/13944303/

I would imagine that you are implying Browns should trade Hoyer? Because it would be "doing the right thing" for the local hometown Hero. Basically the perception would be giving Hoyer the opportunity to start. However Hou already has Fitzpatrick whose previously started for yrs in a Bills uniform. btw,I would rather see Hou go in the direction of someone like C Harnish if Fitz were injuried..

Lets avoid putting the cart before the horse though.. Its possible some guy believes the actual Johnny football is a WR in TB. :moneybag:

Im anxious to find out why Rex is in town (thought Thigpen was serviceable) http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/08/12/rex-grossman-kyle-shanahan-johnny-manziel-cleveland/13944303/
Not what was i implying. just that johny m starting this year is inevitable. If they're convinced he's the future, and they can get a decent pick for hoyer, maybe do it. Again said it was doubtful, was just putting the thought out there.

Not what was i implying. just that johny m starting this year is inevitable. If they're convinced he's the future, and they can get a decent pick for hoyer, maybe do it. Again said it was doubtful, was just putting the thought out there.
yeah Ive seen a few fails at rookie QB's as of late myself, but that doesn't mean sitting them will change anything. I guess your okay w Rex as the stand-in QB if johnny is OOC?

But yeah I cant see Hou calling for Hoyer myself But again Its just from what Ive seen in the past..

I really appreciate your time to post, and hope you don't mind a different "view" either

Rex is only there because he is knowledgeable of the Shanahan offense. He'll be an extra coach on the field to help both Hoyer and Manziel get up to speed. He's not there to unseat anyone or fight for a back up spot. It's been rumored that Kyle wanted to sign Rex prior to OTAs, but Rex was still trying to find a place to play as a backup. Once TC started and there were no calls, Rex falls back on the Browns offer. Rex is going to be a player/coach to help out the QBs while Kyle and other offensive assistants work with the rest of the team. Good pickup. In no way do I see this as a sign that Hoyer is on the way out, or that Rex was signed to be the #2 QB behind Manziel.

I don't think he's gotten used to his knee post surgery yet. His feet look sloppy, that's new. Other issues too but that's sticking out.

He won with little help to throw to. Kudos to him. Matter of time til Manziel plays, but last week was something he can hang his hat on.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Christopher Price - WEEI.com, Patriots Beat Writer
Brady & Hoyer only 2 QBs with at least 70 pass attempts this season who haven't thrown a pick.
Larry I hope you realize if you was a TV announcer "making a PR statement" saying such things that this would be a real jinx.. Im talking like odds of the very next play, we see a Pick6!

Brian Hoyer is the only player in the NFL that I can say that I'm proud to be a fan of.

Nothing fancy, no splash, no bling, and not a great fantasy player. Toiled for years in obscurity. Worked his butt off, got his shot and got hurt playing for his home town team. They draft a splashy guy in the first round but he wins the starting job and isn't posting big numbers, he just gets the job done. I just like him as a man and as a player who goes about his business with class and humility.

In an interview he did with a Baltimore sports talk show the other day the host stopped the interview and told Brian he had to stop the interview because he just got a tweet from a rabid Raven fan and he had to read it to Hoyer.

The tweet said.

"Get this guy off the air now, I can't stand it. He's soo nice if I hear another word out of him I won't be able to root against him." :lol:

The host cracked up laughing but said, he was also having a hard time rooting against Hoyer.

Such a nice guy I go in complete fan mode and just root for him because I like him.

schedule doesn't look too tough until they go to Cincinnati in November.

i think he's got a very good shot of hanging on to his job this season.

a win today would certainly help his case quite a bit.

Manziel has a long way to go before he's better than Hoyer.

He hasn't shown much pre-snap ability. He probably isn't up to speed on knowing the offense. He's not getting first team reps. The 'Manziel package' isn't really part of the Shanahan offense, he's strictly doing read-option so he isn't able to work on another weakness where he hasn't shown the ability to go deep into his reads.

In his one attempt against New Orleans he actually had FB Ray Agnew open at the snap but he didn't pull the trigger and bailed out of the backside of the pocket and threw the ball after the trailing safety was able to come up and lay a lick on Ray. That was all on Johnny IMHO.

He's got soo much to work on and he's still not ready to do anything other than the 'Johnny package' which actually does help the offense. It does make the opposing defense waste time working on defending the read option which wouldn't have all that much effect but because we also have two completely different style running backs who present unique challenges that also require extra study time I think the 'Manziel package' really does have the desired effect. Also it does seem to motivate Hoyer.

Additionally the offense is putting up solid numbers which is a miracle considering we are without, WR Josh Gordon, TE Jordan Cameron, and RB Ben Tate.

I think Hoyer is still recovering from his ACL and I think he is getting better. The offensive line is getting better and WR Andrew Hawkings looks like a real find and WR Miles Austin is coming off a nice game. Don't forget, Hoyer will be starting his 6th NFL game so he was not a guy who has even reached his playing plateau and we will get Gordon back in 8 games.

This tweet from Jason LaConfora frames things pretty succinctly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This team is playing with all kinds of spirit and its defense is not a unit I'd want to be facing right now. If they manage to hang around for another few months, the opportunity to get Gordon back for the stretch run just might make things interesting. "--CBS Sports Jason LaCanfora tweet after the Browns upset the Saints

Rotoworld:

Brian Hoyer completed 19-of-25 passes for 290 yards and a touchdown in the Browns' Week 3 loss to Baltimore.

He added four yards on two scrambles. Continuing to operate as a game manager in Cleveland's run-based offense, Hoyer was incredibly sharp against the Ravens and is in no danger of losing his starting job to Johnny Manziel entering a Week 4 bye. Hoyer has as a 3:0 TD-to-INT ratio through three starts. He has taken only five sacks and is completing well over 60 percent of his passes.

Sep 21 - 5:41 PM

Too bad they wasted their first round pick. Could of used some help on defense.
kind of dumb to take a backup QB in the first. but if Hoyer's knee wasn't right to start the season, at least they could throw Manziel in there to see what he could do.

BusterTBronco said:
Hoyer is not a winner and never will be. He'll play just well enough to not lose his job. Unfortunately, that is not going to translate into wins for the Browns.
If at first you don't succeed!

Users who are viewing this thread