What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brian Hoyer, LV (1 Viewer)

I know nothing about hoyer? What's his deal? Is he a gamer? Anything to worry about if you are starting minny d? I'd feel much better if it were jason Campbell. He's a turnover machine .
Campbell sucks, but he's not a turnover machine.

In his game vs SF with the Cardinals last year, Michael Floyd had a coming out party and put up 8 rec's with 166 yds and a TD.

I don't think this is a death knell for the main receiving options of Gordon and Cameron.
Floyd had most of that on the final drive in garbage time. That could bode well for Gordon but not so much for the Browns.

I know nothing about hoyer? What's his deal? Is he a gamer? Anything to worry about if you are starting minny d? I'd feel much better if it were jason Campbell. He's a turnover machine .
Campbell sucks, but he's not a turnover machine.
Anyone who saw the Bears-SF game last season knows why Campbell isn't playing (and has to wonder how he is on an NFL roster).

This guy was not the best QB in AZ last year. Think about that.
He got cut Dec 9th and got the start THAT WEEK due to inury.

I have no idea what to expect of him but at least he knows the offensive system and had training camp and played a full preseason game and quite frankly he looked good in the final X-Game when it wasn't known he would get that much time.

Also to another post that said this was a Lombardi favorite.

Um, Lombardi's top free agency signings have all looked good, LB Paul Kruger already has a sack and is one of the reasons our defense is ranked #1 in the NFL against the run. Many were knocking Kruger's abilit to hold up against the run but he's looked solid VS the run. DE Desmond Bryant has looked beastly and is ranked as one of the top DEs in the league for getting pressure on the QB per PFF. LB Quentin Groves injured his ankle early in the Baltimore game on special teams but he has looked good on Special teams and he already has a sack.

Add I love the trade for WR Davone Bess who has surpassed WR Greg Little because he earned it.

Oh yeah, and the top pick, LB Barkevious Mingo got eased back into action Sunday only playing 26 snaps but on his very first NFL snap, WHAM! Blasts by the left tackle and got to Flacco so fast he didn't have a chance to dump it off, sack on his first snap. Bats down a pass with his long mitts not long after that. Instant impact.

So judging on what the players Lombardi has had a had in acquiring so far, he's done a very good job.

I don't know what to expect of Brian Hoyer but if ANY NFL third string QB was getting his first start I wouldn't expect much so if he doesn't set the world afire I'm not blaiming Lombardi.

Some pretty positive stuff here from Bloom and Waldman in 2011, plus some comments from Hoyer's time at Mich St.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=603232&hl=hoyer

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4673467/football-journey-brian-hoyer

One the top backup QBs with long-term starter upside in dynasty along with Josh Johnson and Matt Flynn. Nothing but raves coming out about him, you knew there was something there when the Pats made him the backup to Brady as a rookie the year after Brady's ACL. Athletic, competitive, good arm. WRs really let him down in senior year at Sparty.
Excerpts from my take before he was drafted: Brian Hoyer, Michigan State: I think Hoyer has a greater chance to be a success than Brady-in-a-Box candidates Tom Brandstater and Hunter Cantwell. The reasons are pretty clear when you examine Hoyer’s game. He’s a strong-armed passer with no major issues with his delivery and is capable of pinpoint accuracy in the intermediate and deep range. He just has to shore up minor footwork issues with his set up to address the problem. Hoyer moves and throws well moving to his left as a right-handed passer, and I think this a very good sign that he’ll be able to refine his other issues. What I like about Hoyer the most is whenever I watched him experience a bad play, he would frequently follow up with a strong play. He didn’t play with a great receiving corps and I watched two games where he had a total of 13 drops – 10 of them in one game alone. He demonstrated patience and I liked that he didn’t mind throwing the ball out of bounds when he couldn’t spot anyone open. He’s a reasonably mature player who plays within himself and was able to guide the Spartans to a winning season in a tough Big Ten conference. He also impressed with his performance in the East-West Shrine Game practices. I actually considered listing Hoyer as underrated, but I think he’ll be brought a long slower with lower expectations so that makes him a project in my eyes
Last year Hoyer came in cold with the Cards, hardly had any time to learn anything. He went 11/19/105/0/1 (took over from Lindley in-game, Fitz went 8/111/0) vs CHI, & 19/34/225/1/1 @ SF (nearly all of that went to Floyd, Fitz went 2/13/0).

Personally if you look at what's been done with Richardson, the acquisition of Campbell makes more sense if you look at him as a backup to Hoyer, the idea being they were never really sold on Weeden. The Browns management has been planning a makeover for some time I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
:2cents: I always liked Hoyer a lot (I am not alone among NE fans) and he reminded me a little bit of Brady. I followed him closely when he was here and IMO he looked pretty good when we got to see him. I have no idea what has happened since he left, but it would not surprise me at all if he played well enough to keep the job.

FWIW, I am playing the Minny D in a couple of leagues this week and I hope the Cle O goes down in a ball of flames, but I don't think it will and would have preferred Weeden to be playing.

Bess will start over Little as well
This is kind of a coup d'état in Cleveland, the "big" three of Weeden, Richardson, Little all no longer starting.
Look for Cleveland trying to trade Gordon. He was also mentioned as a player the current management thinks the team should not have drafted.
Well, the Browns traded Trent Richardson to a RB-hungry team. I would freak out if they put him in a WR-hungry team like New England. Brady to Gordon would be winning the jackpot for Gordon owners.

Unless the Browns really, really dislike Gordon, there is no way he's going to be traded.

The two situations are very different...

1. Gordon will fetch no where near a 1st round pick;

2. Gordon is on a CHEAP salary for several more seasons;

3. Gordon will be a 3rd year WR with NFL WR1 skills next season, which will be a great piece for an incoming rookie QB. It's much harder to replace a vet WR1 with a rookie than it is an RB.

It's probably a very bad sign for Gordon if he is indeed traded given the above. As a Gordon owner in multiple leagues, I'm not counting on it, but I'm also not nearly as down about this situation as others. Weeden is terrible. If Hoyer is even half decent, he's an upgrade. I think Hoyer is going to be half decent.

I think this thread is interesting. My thoughts:

- I'm not as down on Weeden as most people are

- I'm no where near as high on Hoyer as other people are (for some reason people think if NE had him he must be great--they got lucky with Brady people, that's it). I think the guy isn't starter caliber.

- I thought the Browns had a chance to compete with Weeden, Richardson, and Gordon (and the O-line, defense, etc.). I don't get the reset and I think they just pushed back their playoff chances back at least an additional year.

Is anyone picking him up in 2QB or deep dynasty leagues? Just wondering...
deep dynasty, i picked him up, just to give it a couple weeks to see if he catches on. but our rosters are deep enough, we have at least 5 spots that you can rotate on whatever lottery ticket you feel like at the time.

Not going to be tough to motivate a team when everyone believes the organization has given up on the season. I think they come out and play well. Not like Weeden was setting the world on fire and now they add their stud WR back into the mix. They win outright tomorrow.

I'm starting Josh Gordon in both my leagues (ppr) in a flex2 spot. Would have preferred a healthy Weeden and TRich still on the team, but with E. Lacy hurt and R Mathews not getting many carries I'll take the upside of Gordon who is the only weapon on the team really and the Browns will get some yards.

biju said:

- I'm no where near as high on Hoyer as other people are (for some reason people think if NE had him he must be great--they got lucky with Brady people, that's it). I think the guy isn't starter caliber.

- I thought the Browns had a chance to compete with Weeden, Richardson, and Gordon (and the O-line, defense, etc.). I don't get the reset and I think they just pushed back their playoff chances back at least an additional year.
Well, in a little over a quarter, he already has twice as many TD's than Weeden. So, there's that.

Rotoworld:

A source tells NFL Network that Brian Hoyer can steal the starting job from Brandon Weeden (thumb) with a "stellar performance" in Sunday's game against the Vikings.
NFL quarterbacks rarely lose their job due to injury, but the Browns are a unique case. The new regime did not select Weeden 22nd overall in 2012 and new GM Mike Lombardi has a thing for Hoyer. Now it's on Hoyer to prove Lombardi right by going into Minnesota and getting a win. It will be the former undrafted free agent's second career start.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

biju said:

Well, in a little over a quarter, he already has twice as many TD's than Weeden. So, there's that.
Yep, absolutely eating my words now. But then again, it's the Vikings...

I always have a concern about defenses trying to game plan against a QB they have little film on. A lot of times these out - of - nowhere guys surprise for a couple of games before opponents figure out what looks they have trouble with.

I don't know how much tape on Hoyer is out there, if he played much in the preseason, etc. But I'd be more confident with the Minnesota D against the better known Campbell.
:goodposting:

The "Billy Volek Rule" strikes again. Watch out for these guys sometimes.

2 INTs were bad. 3rd his arm was hit by DLineman.

overall thought he looked good.

2 beautiful fade routes in the endzone to Cameron for TDs.

With first team reps next week, let's just wait and see on his progress. Could be a diamond in the rough, you never know.

With first team reps next week, let's just wait and see on his progress. Could be a diamond in the rough, you never know.
or once other teams get tape on him they will adjust. can't really wait and see, if you do you will be too late.

Unless the Browns really, really dislike Gordon, there is no way he's going to be traded.

The two situations are very different...

1. Gordon will fetch no where near a 1st round pick;

2. Gordon is on a CHEAP salary for several more seasons;

3. Gordon will be a 3rd year WR with NFL WR1 skills next season, which will be a great piece for an incoming rookie QB. It's much harder to replace a vet WR1 with a rookie than it is an RB.

It's probably a very bad sign for Gordon if he is indeed traded given the above. As a Gordon owner in multiple leagues, I'm not counting on it, but I'm also not nearly as down about this situation as others. Weeden is terrible. If Hoyer is even half decent, he's an upgrade. I think Hoyer is going to be half decent.
Lets reload. Gordon may fetch a premier pick afterall. Though you gotta think the Browns might second guess the idea now after the way he looked today.

well i am shocked

still not convinced this was not in large part the vikings sucking, but the browns surprised me

well i am shocked

still not convinced this was not in large part the vikings sucking, but the browns surprised me
The Vikings are a bad football team and the Browns needed trickery to pull out a W. The Browns aren't good either. More pieces already in place to build for the future, but still not expecting > 4 wins though.

well i am shocked

The Vikings are a bad football team and the Browns needed trickery to pull out a W. The Browns aren't good either. More pieces already in place to build for the future, but still not expecting > 4 wins though.
but what about hoyer throwing 50+ times/game and statting up the rest of the way?

well i am shocked

but what about hoyer throwing 50+ times/game and statting up the rest of the way?
i guess it depends

if he keeps getting 3tds and 3ints maybe

if it goes to 1 td and 3 ints, maybe not

but hell what do i know, what else is the team going to do, and at least for now Hoyer is undefeated as a Browns starting QB and the Browns have the same record as the 49ers

2 INTs were bad. 3rd his arm was hit by DLineman.

overall thought he looked good.

2 beautiful fade routes in the endzone to Cameron for TDs.
Sounds alot like Carson Palmer. Palmer makes about 3-4 horrendous throws a game, two of which usually get picked off. Then he will makes about 10 wonderful throw. These guys have value in some leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread