What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

Gotta admit, I never liked him before but it’s great to see him succeed after being run out of Cleveland, taken off waivers from the panthers, beating McDaniels in his first day as a ram, and practically left for dead. It’s all enough to make people cheer for him.
No offense to Hamlin, Baker was the comeback player of the year.

Moxie. Swagger. Guts. Dude’s entire career was on the line and he delivered.

Feel like the Bucs found their franchise QB off the scrap heap.

Pay him. He earned it.
He's a stop gap, but yes, he'll be better than anything on the FA market or you'll get from a non-top 3 rookie QB.
I don’t know? Stop gap for who/what? What more do you want from a franchise QB?

He threw for over 4,000 yards and 28 TDs on a new team in another new offense. 686 yards and 6 TDs in our two playoff games.

A few mistakes and one score away from being in the NFCCG.

He has been amazing.

Add some pass rush. Run it a little better.

The Bucs can win with Baker Mayfield.

"Pay zat man hiss moneeey"-- Teddy KGB

article I read yesterday pushed his salary into the 35-40M range. I guess if Daniel Jones got it he should too but I think teams would be wise to pass on that unless it’s for 2 years only.

article I read yesterday pushed his salary into the 35-40M range. I guess if Daniel Jones got it he should too but I think teams would be wise to pass on that unless it’s for 2 years only.
I’m a fan and Baker backer, but that’s steep and I’d be concerned about being able to sign Mike too if we’re pushing that AAV.

I can’t really hear it for myself but people are saying he told Steve Young here he’s coming back to Tampa.
I can't say 100% but he's been on 4-5 teams in about 2-3 years, he wants to be settled and build something, you cannot be mad at him for wanting to stay in Tampa
Plus Tampa Bay is one of the biggest growing cities in the country right now, I live in paradise in South Florida and yet I'm up there visiting and scoping RE all the time.
It's a great ****ing city and area when you add in St Pete and Clearwater plus Sarasota to the South and horse country along the Suncoast going North 80 miles to Ocala
I've heard/read you think of moving, I understand Cappy but we need more folks like you, Right here Right now, you and your wonderful family are exactly what thrives there
Tampa Bay is the best of both words and you know it.

Yes I dropped two Van Halen references on you :lol:
Don't leave. I'm going thru similar, son getting married March 29th in St Pete and I want to be there for my future grand kids, that's why a 2nd home in Tampa Bay
And I've heard you mention you can't leave due to family that is so involved, I'm getting ready to do likewise to my son.
-I have another post I want to talk about but it's FFA so I'll post over there, but it hit home for me what you shared about your father and you choosing not to follow his path :thumbup:
You went up a couple more notches in my book

I’m a fan and Baker backer, but that’s steep and I’d be concerned about being able to sign Mike too if we’re pushing that AAV.
And I would argue Winfield should a bigger priority than either. You'd like to keep Lavonte David as well. I know releasing Russell Gage should free up a good chunk, but signing those 4, likely shuts them out of FA otherwise. That's the scenario I'm envisioning for TB, just re-sign their own guys, and hope young develop and the rookie class hits.

I'd personally let Mayfield walk if he wanted anywhere near 40 million. 25 feels fair to me. I know what Daniel Jones got, but how's that looking today?

Truthfully, between the 4 guys I listed Mayfield is the one I'd most be willing to play hardball with, though I doubt hardball exists with David as he's seemed willing to take a hometown discount.

It is steep, but what options do they have? This is a playoff-caliber quarterback (with two teams so far) under 30, and guys like that aren't easy to find. They won't be drafting one, there won't be a cheaper one in free agency and I'm not sure Kyle Trask would even make an active roster in 2024 if they cut him. It's Baker or rebuild imo. I get the value of the other guys they need to address, but there's nothing more important than quarterback. And Baker already wants to be there.

4-5 years at $30+ million per year sounds reasonable to me. That's a good deal for playoff potential.

Last edited:
And I would argue Winfield should a bigger priority than either. You'd like to keep Lavonte David as well. I know releasing Russell Gage should free up a good chunk, but signing those 4, likely shuts them out of FA otherwise. That's the scenario I'm envisioning for TB, just re-sign their own guys, and hope young develop and the rookie class hits.

I'd personally let Mayfield walk if he wanted anywhere near 40 million. 25 feels fair to me. I know what Daniel Jones got, but how's that looking today?

Truthfully, between the 4 guys I listed Mayfield is the one I'd most be willing to play hardball with, though I doubt hardball exists with David as he's seemed willing to take a hometown discount.
So what would the QB strategy be? Roll with the guy who couldn't beat Blaine Gabbert for backup duties behind Brady? Draft a guy and hope they're a steal? Sign Zach Wilson?

You could sign every priority free agent and have a good draft, and you're still winning 5-6 games without a good QB. I just don't see a scenario where the team is competitive without something good at that position. I have no idea what the Giants were thinking with Jones, but Mayfield produced with the worst rushing attack in the league. Apples and oranges imo.

I've mentioned this in other threads. Finding 32 humans that can play the NFL QB position is really hard. Like him or hate him, Baker is one of the 32 better humans at doing that. Id like to go on record that when all is said and done Mr Baker will land 40ish millions a year.

Winfield will probably get the tag.

You can always play around with the cap hits and void years. Assuming they all want to be in Tampa they can all be afforded. They’re 10th in the NFL in cap space right now before any restructures or cuts. Even re-signing their own guys they should be able to dip into mid-tier free agency some also. Mayfield/Evans/AWJr. Are all top tier high end free agents at their positions though. $$$.

If Mayfield wants $40M though, then his “get my guys back” is just talk. Evans makes him better. He makes everyone better. Don’t know if they can do $70M between two guys.

This is a deep draft at QB. There’s a Nix, Penix, McCarthy or Rattler likely certain to be available at #26. A rookie, but with ample experience.

And they do still have Trask under contract for another year.

I hope and think Mayfield signs, but not for a deal that cripples the team’s future cap.

So what would the QB strategy be? Roll with the guy who couldn't beat Blaine Gabbert for backup duties behind Brady? Draft a guy and hope they're a steal? Sign Zach Wilson?

You could sign every priority free agent and have a good draft, and you're still winning 5-6 games without a good QB. I just don't see a scenario where the team is competitive without something good at that position. I have no idea what the Giants were thinking with Jones, but Mayfield produced with the worst rushing attack in the league. Apples and oranges imo.
This is what they said when they signed Mayfield last year though too. He ended up making like $6.5M. I was happy with his play at that number.

I’m not sure I’ll feel the same way if he’s making $40M and they lose Mike Evans because of it.

I think Baker gets that though. At least I hope so. Tom Brady got it. He played for $25M when other guys were pushing $40M AAV.

This is what they said when they signed Mayfield last year though too. He ended up making like $6.5M. I was happy with his play at that number.

I’m not sure I’ll feel the same way if he’s making $40M and they lose Mike Evans because of it.

I think Baker gets that though. At least I hope so. Tom Brady got it. He played for $25M when other guys were pushing $40M AAV.
Mike Evans is the best wide receiver in the team's history, by far. But a receiver is not more important than a quarterback.

Last year was a prove it year, and Baker proved it. $30 million a year buys you a quarterback who gets his team in contention for a playoff spot. Not a guaranteed spot, not deep in the playoffs, not a Super Bowl berth or a championship. Just contention. That's where the league is at. Basically, the money RBs used to make got added to the QB position.

If they think they can go cheap at quarterback, might as well let Evans go to a team that will get him the ball. Otherwise, he's Garrett Wilson with Zach behind center.

I think he signs in Tampa and yes for around the quoted price. Unless they think Trask is ready and is a lot better than we know. The Liam Cohen hiring points to a direction of signing Baker but Trask was in that same offense. My concern was and is if this was more about the OC than Baker. I do like Baker though. I suppose part of the answer is what other teams are in the Baker Mayfield market and what they think about Baker. He seems to be on the verge of settling into the Tampa area from the interviews yesterday. Baker and his wife are about a month away from the birth of their first child and he is 28 years old. He seems to be settling down and about to hit his prime if everything goes well as a player and in his personal life. I would not overthink this. Get it done and move on to the next decision. He might be willing to give some kind of discount. Perhaps a shorter contract and more money upfront? Giving some kind of out for the Bucs should things not work out. I don't know but I think he wants to stay in Tampa but keeping his mind and door open is smart for the moment.

Mike Evans is the best wide receiver in the team's history, by far. But a receiver is not more important than a quarterback.

Last year was a prove it year, and Baker proved it. $30 million a year buys you a quarterback who gets his team in contention for a playoff spot. Not a guaranteed spot, not deep in the playoffs, not a Super Bowl berth or a championship. Just contention. That's where the league is at. Basically, the money RBs used to make got added to the QB position.

If they think they can go cheap at quarterback, might as well let Evans go to a team that will get him the ball. Otherwise, he's Garrett Wilson with Zach behind center.
We're throwing around $30M and then $40M. I feel a lot better with the former. $40M AAV is top tier upper echelon franchise QB money. Baker had a great year, but he needs to prove he can do it in more than one season. He had a couple good years in Cleveland too before regressing in the subsequent year. That $25M to $30M range and a 3-4 year deal is the sweet spot for both sides. Prove you really are a franchise QB and then you can get the top 10 QB contract.

We're throwing around $30M and then $40M. I feel a lot better with the former. $40M AAV is top tier upper echelon franchise QB money. Baker had a great year, but he needs to prove he can do it in more than one season. He had a couple good years in Cleveland too before regressing in the subsequent year. That $25M to $30M range and a 3-4 year deal is the sweet spot for both sides. Prove you really are a franchise QB and then you can get the top 10 QB contract.

Top guys get over 50 now. Baker will probably be close to Daniel Jones deal at 40.

Rolling with Trask, some late round rookie, or signing Zach Wilson are hardly the only alternatives. They could trade up for a QB, and I'd argue that at least 1 of Nix, Penix, and McCarthy will be there, and potentially all 3. There are plenty of FAs available, or guys likely to be traded or cut who are all better than Zach Wilson. My concern is that Baker Mayfield had the best possible season he can have and giving him 40 million is actually a worse option than just winging it. Mayfield was nowhere near as good as his numbers this season, he was extremely lucky. He had 14 dropped INTs, tied for the NFL lead with Desmond Ridder. That sort of thing tends to swing back in the other direction.

Is Mayfield a good QB? Was Canales doing an amazing job, ala Shanahan with Jimmy G? My personal opinion is Mayfield was a great addition last season, but at 5+ times the price, is likely a bad decision to re-sign. I don't wanna make the argument on Mayfield v Daniel Jones, but it does seem wrong to say Mayfield had it harder because Jones had a better running game, when Jones #1 WR was Darius Slayton, not Mike Evans or Chris Godwin.

Personally, I'd let Baker hit FA. Let the market decide what he's worth. You can always pivot to Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew, Mac Jones, Jimmy Garoppolo, try to trade for Fields, or draft a rookie. I don't think the difference in those guys is all that strong, not 20+ million strong.

Rolling with Trask, some late round rookie, or signing Zach Wilson are hardly the only alternatives. They could trade up for a QB, and I'd argue that at least 1 of Nix, Penix, and McCarthy will be there, and potentially all 3. There are plenty of FAs available, or guys likely to be traded or cut who are all better than Zach Wilson. My concern is that Baker Mayfield had the best possible season he can have and giving him 40 million is actually a worse option than just winging it. Mayfield was nowhere near as good as his numbers this season, he was extremely lucky. He had 14 dropped INTs, tied for the NFL lead with Desmond Ridder. That sort of thing tends to swing back in the other direction.

Is Mayfield a good QB? Was Canales doing an amazing job, ala Shanahan with Jimmy G? My personal opinion is Mayfield was a great addition last season, but at 5+ times the price, is likely a bad decision to re-sign. I don't wanna make the argument on Mayfield v Daniel Jones, but it does seem wrong to say Mayfield had it harder because Jones had a better running game, when Jones #1 WR was Darius Slayton, not Mike Evans or Chris Godwin.

Personally, I'd let Baker hit FA. Let the market decide what he's worth. You can always pivot to Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew, Mac Jones, Jimmy Garoppolo, try to trade for Fields, or draft a rookie. I don't think the difference in those guys is all that strong, not 20+ million strong.
Good points. I just totally disagree. The QB free agents you mentioned sound like serious downgrades to me. In fact, they all sound like decent backups to Mayfield. But we'll see.

Good points. I just totally disagree. The QB free agents you mentioned sound like serious downgrades to me. In fact, they all sound like decent backups to Mayfield. But we'll see.
Its debatable for sure. Personally, I'd have Mayfield 3rd among the names I listed, not counting the rookie class.

@travdogg

Who are the two you’d take over Mayfield?

Russell Wilson is 35. Kirk Cousins is 36. I’d rather have Baker’s next 5 years than theirs. Tannehill, JG, Minshew? Come on.

Fields? Someone is going to pay a steep price to find out it wasn’t the Bears’ fault. We can agree to disagree on Fields.

Mayfield was a borderline top 10 QB this year. I wouldn’t want to pay any of those guys over him. Even at $10M less.

If we want to let Mayfield go because the contract demands are too high I can live with that, but then it’s Trask/rookie versus signing any of those other guys.

Its debatable for sure. Personally, I'd have Mayfield 3rd among the names I listed, not counting the rookie class.
I’ve looked at that list for 10 minutes trying to think of the two you’d have over Mayfield. Is this one of those trick questions?

Well.... If that is the case Baker would be better off going year to year. That might be good for both sides. Baker is 28 years old and has a chance to sign a bigger contract. A 2-year deal at 30 million seems fair 15 million a year is about right. it depends on the market. Who else wants to sign Baker? It also depends on what Tampa wants. Do they want a longer commitment? Do they want him to sign a prove-it deal? A prove-it deal is not 3-4 years. No risk it no biscuit.

Baker signed a 1-year deal for 4 million plus a 300,000 signing bonus last year. 30 million over 4 years would be 7.5 million a year. And of course, the same amount over 3 years is 10 million a year. For a QB that put up over 4,000 yards and 28 touchdowns and won a playoff game, I don't see him signing that.

Well.... If that is the case Baker would be better off going year to year. That might be good for both sides. Baker is 28 years old and has a chance to sign a bigger contract. A 2-year deal at 30 million seems fair 15 million a year is about right. it depends on the market. Who else wants to sign Baker? It also depends on what Tampa wants. Do they want a longer commitment? Do they want him to sign a prove-it deal? A prove-it deal is not 3-4 years. No risk it no biscuit.

Baker signed a 1-year deal for 4 million plus a 300,000 signing bonus last year. 30 million over 4 years would be 7.5 million a year. And of course, the same amount over 3 years is 10 million a year. For a QB that put up over 4,000 yards and 28 touchdowns and won a playoff game, I don't see him signing that.
You can always backload it. Guarantee $X amount. First two years are lower cap hits. Next 3 are higher with bigger AAV, but the $$ isn’t guaranteed.

If he’s playing consistently well the first two years then the $40M AAV years are on the back end are his. Restructures/extensions in play as well.

I think this is ultimately how they’ll end up structuring the deal.

@travdogg

Russell Wilson is 35. Kirk Cousins is 36. I’d rather have Baker’s next 5 years than theirs. Tannehill, JG, Minshew? Come on.

Fields? Someone is going to pay a steep price to find out it wasn’t the Bears’ fault. We can agree to disagree on Fields.

Mayfield was a borderline top 10 QB this year. I wouldn’t want to pay any of those guys over him. Even at $10M less.

If we want to let Mayfield go because the contract demands are too high I can live with that, but then it’s Trask/rookie versus signing any of those other guys.
I’ve looked at that list for 10 minutes trying to think of the two you’d have over Mayfield. Is this one of those trick questions?
Not a trick question at all. Its Justin Fields and Russell Wilson. I don't think Mayfield is/was a borderline top-10 QB, I think he's about QB20, and is being vastly overrated. Dave Canales deserved a HC job, for the year he got out of him, and even then it was just fine, not great.

Mayfield was 19th in completion percentage, 16th in YPA, 19th in QBR, and 19th in PFF grade. Wilson had a higher completion percentage and passer rating (in addition to obvious rushing superiority) despite a FAR inferior supporting cast. Fields averaged just as many yards per game.

I think Mayfield played solid in the playoffs, and I think that is perhaps making him look better than he was. In the 2 weeks before, he had 2 win and you're in games, and was awful. Leading his team to 23 points in 2 games, against bad teams, and the 14 against NO was arguably garbage time. I weigh that equal to his playoff games. He had an awesome game against the Packers, and another good one against the Jags, but played poorly in both Carolina wins, and against Atlanta.

I thought Mayfield played at a slightly above average level last year, and his history suggests that's a high-end outcome, and that a regression is very likely. I thought all things considered Russell Wilson played just as well, in a worse situation, and Fields was only slightly worse, in a FAR worse situation. If Baker is willing to settle for like 25 million, I could see working out a short term deal (I still would ideally look to draft a QB in round 1 or 2, Bo Nix would be nice) anything more than that feels like a mistake.

I'll stress again Mayfield was the 2nd luckiest QB in the NFL behind only Desmond Ridder when it came to INTs. Counting the playoffs Mayfield threw 12 INTs, but it could/should have been at least double that. Mayfield's 2023 rings a lot of Daniel Jones in 2022 bells in that way. TB made a nice move buying low on Mayfield a year ago, I think treating him like he's a much different QB than he was a year ago, is buying high.

9th in passing yards for 2023. 7th in passing TDs for 2023. 12th in regular season passer rating (but Mason Rudolph and Jake Browning are "ahead" of him in limited playing time). In passer rating he's ahead of Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Stafford, Burrow, Hurts, Murray, and Lawrence. Obviously played well in both playoff games.

So, add it all up and yeah I think he's right at a top 10 QB. When I consider potential money to be invested and lack of any draft capital invested his value is around 10th, and definitely top 15 at minimum, to me.

The rookies are fun to think about, but it seems like there's one guy a year at most that actually becomes successful as an NFL QB. Baker Mayfield already is one. They aren't as easy to find as some people make it out to be.

@travdogg

Not a trick question at all. Its Justin Fields and Russell Wilson. I don't think Mayfield is/was a borderline top-10 QB, I think he's about QB20, and is being vastly overrated. Dave Canales deserved a HC job, for the year he got out of him, and even then it was just fine, not great.

Mayfield was 19th in completion percentage, 16th in YPA, 19th in QBR, and 19th in PFF grade. Wilson had a higher completion percentage and passer rating (in addition to obvious rushing superiority) despite a FAR inferior supporting cast. Fields averaged just as many yards per game.

I think Mayfield played solid in the playoffs, and I think that is perhaps making him look better than he was. In the 2 weeks before, he had 2 win and you're in games, and was awful. Leading his team to 23 points in 2 games, against bad teams, and the 14 against NO was arguably garbage time. I weigh that equal to his playoff games. He had an awesome game against the Packers, and another good one against the Jags, but played poorly in both Carolina wins, and against Atlanta.

I thought Mayfield played at a slightly above average level last year, and his history suggests that's a high-end outcome, and that a regression is very likely. I thought all things considered Russell Wilson played just as well, in a worse situation, and Fields was only slightly worse, in a FAR worse situation. If Baker is willing to settle for like 25 million, I could see working out a short term deal (I still would ideally look to draft a QB in round 1 or 2, Bo Nix would be nice) anything more than that feels like a mistake.

I'll stress again Mayfield was the 2nd luckiest QB in the NFL behind only Desmond Ridder when it came to INTs. Counting the playoffs Mayfield threw 12 INTs, but it could/should have been at least double that. Mayfield's 2023 rings a lot of Daniel Jones in 2022 bells in that way. TB made a nice move buying low on Mayfield a year ago, I think treating him like he's a much different QB than he was a year ago, is buying high.
It will depend on who and what the market is for Baker. Draft one and roll with Trask. Maybe, they like Trask and pair him with a rookie QB or pick up another free agent QB and do the same. Sooner or later you want to find a QB to build around. Take two then if you want to go this route. A back-end QB first or second round and maybe one in the 4th and hope you hit. Or find a free agent and draft one with Trask also on board. I think this is pretty risky and none of these options appeal to me. I would rather sign Baker and maybe draft another QB later in the fourth through seventh. Roll with Baker, Trask, and the rookie. Baker is still going to be cheaper than a lot of the QBs in the top 10.

Kyler Murray's contract looks downright reasonable now in hindsight. Or will in the future for sure.

Last edited:
9th in passing yards for 2023. 7th in passing TDs for 2023. 12th in regular season passer rating (but Mason Rudolph and Jake Browning are "ahead" of him in limited playing time). In passer rating he's ahead of Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Stafford, Burrow, Hurts, Murray, and Lawrence. Obviously played well in both playoff games.

So, add it all up and yeah I think he's right at a top 10 QB. When I consider potential money to be invested and lack of any draft capital invested his value is around 10th, and definitely top 15 at minimum, to me.

The rookies are fun to think about, but it seems like there's one guy a year at most that actually becomes successful as an NFL QB. Baker Mayfield already is one. They aren't as easy to find as some people make it out to be.
I'll go back to an argument I've used in the Fields thread, and especially in the Lamar/Allen threads. I don't understand why passing stats are considered more valuable/important than rushing stats. A yard is a yard, a TD is a TD. They count the same on the scoreboard, its silly the perception is different. So personally, I think passing yards, passing TDs and to an extent passer rating are somewhat irrelevant (or at least incomplete) stats. Total yards, total TDs are relevant, and I'm not familiar enough with how passer rating works to incorporate rushing stats into it, but I know if you added 15 TDs to Josh Allen or Jalen Hurts, their ratings would skyrocket.

Using total yards as a stats, and suddenly Mayfield is 17th per game. Using total TDs, and suddenly Mayfield is 12th in TDs per game, and that's not counting someone like Kirk Cousins who was well above the per game numbers but missed half the season.

I 100% agree with you on rookies, but if you are the team that hits on that guy, that rookie contract is such an advantage, especially when the alternative isn't a top guy. That's part of why the Daniel Jones deal didn't make a lick of sense to me. At the same time, that lower hit rate is why if I were a team like Chicago, if I'm getting three 1sts, or an equivalent package, for the #1 pick, its tough to pass it up.

Not a trick question at all. Its Justin Fields and Russell Wilson. I don't think Mayfield is/was a borderline top-10 QB, I think
Ehhhh I’ll just say I strongly disagree. I love Fields and would take him in Tampa but he has never produced at Baker’s level. I could be talked into his upside with better talent around him though for sure.

Russell? No way. Not even slightly interested at half of Baker’s price.

Not a trick question at all. Its Justin Fields and Russell Wilson. I don't think Mayfield is/was a borderline top-10 QB, I think
Ehhhh I’ll just say I strongly disagree. I love Fields and would take him in Tampa but he has never produced at Baker’s level. I could be talked into his upside with better talent around him though for sure.
That's fair, its just my opinion. Ultimately any debate is probably just for fun, as I think there is probably a 90+% chance Baker is back. Hopefully its not at a rate that costs Winfield or Evans, or even David.

I'll go back to an argument I've used in the Fields thread, and especially in the Lamar/Allen threads. I don't understand why passing stats are considered more valuable/important than rushing stats. A yard is a yard, a TD is a TD. They count the same on the scoreboard, its silly the perception is different. So personally, I think passing yards, passing TDs and to an extent passer rating are somewhat irrelevant (or at least incomplete) stats. Total yards, total TDs are relevant, and I'm not familiar enough with how passer rating works to incorporate rushing stats into it, but I know if you added 15 TDs to Josh Allen or Jalen Hurts, their ratings would skyrocket.

Using total yards as a stats, and suddenly Mayfield is 17th per game. Using total TDs, and suddenly Mayfield is 12th in TDs per game, and that's not counting someone like Kirk Cousins who was well above the per game numbers but missed half the season.

I 100% agree with you on rookies, but if you are the team that hits on that guy, that rookie contract is such an advantage, especially when the alternative isn't a top guy. That's part of why the Daniel Jones deal didn't make a lick of sense to me. At the same time, that lower hit rate is why if I were a team like Chicago, if I'm getting three 1sts, or an equivalent package, for the #1 pick, its tough to pass it up.
I don't know what to say other than "follow the money." Why do QBs and WRs make so much more than RBs? Points come out of the passing game. We all know that. Justin Fields led the Bears to the number #1 pick with one of the most prolific rushing seasons ever at QB in 2022.

It doesn't matter how well you can run if you can't win from the pocket and play on time. It is proven again and again and again in the postseason.

The fun part of the off season is seeing different perspectives on players. Also just how far certain players can jump in perception Even after their 6th season.
I just can’t put Baker as much, if at all, above average.

Last edited:
15m per year, you’re dreaming. All 32 teams are bidding that right now.
It will be at least double.
If I’m him, I’m staying in Tampa or heading to Atlanta. Denver if they can figure out how to get rid of Wilson.
The actual tag is 32 million or in that ballpark. I doubt they do that. And I can see low 20's but no more and he may even go less than that depending on how many teams want to pay him more than that and who. Not sure the market is as big as people think. Shoot if Justin Fields is available he may cost you a 2nd and 5th or something like that and he costs you 6 million this year and 23 odd million for his fifth-year option. That to me is a better deal by a long way. Daniel Jone's contract people point to as an example of where the market is including myself but is it a good thing they paid him 40 million? He kind of flopped which could lead teams to not be willing to go that high. I would think it will not go over the tag amount.

I think I would seek out other options if it got to 25 million. I would want to see another year.

I can’t really hear it for myself but people are saying he told Steve Young here he’s coming back to Tampa.
I can't say 100% but he's been on 4-5 teams in about 2-3 years, he wants to be settled and build something, you cannot be mad at him for wanting to stay in Tampa
Plus Tampa Bay is one of the biggest growing cities in the country right now, I live in paradise in South Florida and yet I'm up there visiting and scoping RE all the time.
It's a great ****ing city and area when you add in St Pete and Clearwater plus Sarasota to the South and horse country along the Suncoast going North 80 miles to Ocala
I've heard/read you think of moving, I understand Cappy but we need more folks like you, Right here Right now, you and your wonderful family are exactly what thrives there
Tampa Bay is the best of both words and you know it.

Yes I dropped two Van Halen references on you :lol:
Don't leave. I'm going thru similar, son getting married March 29th in St Pete and I want to be there for my future grand kids, that's why a 2nd home in Tampa Bay
And I've heard you mention you can't leave due to family that is so involved, I'm getting ready to do likewise to my son.
-I have another post I want to talk about but it's FFA so I'll post over there, but it hit home for me what you shared about your father and you choosing not to follow his path :thumbup:
You went up a couple more notches in my book
Hey thanks man. I do appreciate that. Good for you with the second home. You won’t regret that.

The fun part of the off season is seeing different perspectives on players. Also just how far certain players can jump in perception Even after their 6th season.
I just can’t put Baker as much, if at all, above average.
Average starting NFL QB though. So, literally, one of the 15 best at his job in the world.

I don’t hold his time in Cleveland against him. He has two good years there amidst what appears to be a poorly run organization.

What he did in Tampa is admirable, and he’s saying all the right things now. Wants to win. Willing to sacrifice to keep his guys. He’s about to go to the Bahamas with Tristan Wirfs.

Baker on Dan Patrick Show

So, people still just hate Baker because he's Baker?

nevermind what he's shown, what he's done... nevermind last season, it doesnt matter. he's baker!

got ppl on this forum talking a guy like herbert is worth the #1 pick, with zero playoff wins and god knows what else to show for it...

got ppl on this forum talking a guy like herbert is worth the #1 pick

He is. He needs normalcy around him. His talent is off the charts.

i think he's a solid talent... great arm. but has he made the playoffs? won a playoff game? always had a strong team around him (coaching wasnt great tho).

Baker dealt with much worse and still has 2 playoff wins.

anyways... that's neither here nor there. I don't think there's an NFL franchise right now that'd swap the #1 this season for Herbert. I really don't. And again, I prefer Herbert to Caleb.

I don't think there's an NFL franchise right now that'd swap the #1 this season for Herbert. I really don't.

You'd be surprised. These guys know how good Herbert can be in the NFL and they've seen the proof in the pudding. I can't imagine anybody but Williams goes over him in this draft. He's at least worth the #2, if not the first overall pick. That's my opinion, though, and we can argue that until we're blue in the face. He was the number six in that draft and has since moved up in esteem.

So, people still just hate Baker because he's Baker?

By the way, you asked so I'll answer.

Pretty much "Yes."

I think he's one of those guys that won't shake public perception of him until he wins even more games. He's a little too short in stature and he's a gunslinger prone to errors. He can look really bad when he's off. I think that's what does it. When he's off, or off-schedule, he really looks bad. He's not like, say . . . a Herbert whose physical gifts are readily apparent on almost every play. He's not 6'6" and mobile. He really is what he is, which is totally dependent on the talent around him. He elevates nobody, really.

That's the problem with Baker. I'd love to see him succeed mightily. I don't hate the guy like others do. But I'm not sure he ever will succeed given his limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread