What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (2 Viewers)

Anthony Richardson is a very polarizing player.

Daniel Kelly has a fifth round grade on Richardson while others are saying that he’s a top 10 or top 15 pick based on Richardson’s athletic talents, his raw potential, and projections that he could develop into a Josh Allen type of player. He will need to be drafted by a solid franchise that will take the proper time to develop and refine his skills, while resisting the temptation to play him too quickly into his NFL tenure.

Michael Balko @MichaelBalkoJr
Anthony Richardson is better than you think, take a look at the film.

(A Thread)

Clip 1:

•Great poise in a collapsing pocket
•Gives his guy a shot
•Elite ball placement
•Top Notch Competition (No. 1 UGA)
•Down Field Accuracy

Clip 2:

•Willingness to take a deep shot
•Great read of the DB
•Great ball placement
•Convincing fake handoff
•Great Opponent

Clip 3:

•Excellent Pocket Awareness
•Broke multiple tackles
•Extending the play
•Avoids taking a sack
•Poised on the run
•Non Dangerous pass attempt to waste

Clip 4:

•Great Pocket Awareness
•Ability to break a tough tackle
•Knows exact spot for first down
•Ability to make plays happen with feet
•SLIDE

Clip 5:

•Heisman-Caliber Play
•Elite Pump Fake
•Drew Defender In with athleticism
•Elite Execution
•Professional Poise in the Pocket
•Eyes Always Down Field

Clip 6:

•Big Time Rivalry Game
•Poise in the Pocket
•Eyes downfield
•Huge Arm
•Takes the big hit

while resisting the temptation to play him too quickly into his NFL tenure.
I’ve read more than one scouting report describing him as a “2-year project”.

RIP any team that makes him a top 15 overall selection.
I mean yes, but also if you have a good feeling on his willingness to improve and you have a good coach that can mold a qb, there's no reason not to take a risk on a high-end potential. Maybe a top 15 pick is not the way, but there is some similarity to taking Josh Allen that high.

This league still comes down to if you don't have a qb, you better find one or else you're stuck. And with the changed rules on rookie contracts, taking qbs high is not as costly as it used to be if they fail.

I mean yes, but also if you have a good feeling on his willingness to improve and you have a good coach that can mold a qb, there's no reason not to take a risk on a high-end potential. Maybe a top 15 pick is not the way, but there is some similarity to taking Josh Allen that high.

This league still comes down to if you don't have a qb, you better find one or else you're stuck. And with the changed rules on rookie contracts, taking qbs high is not as costly as it used to be if they fail.
In general, I don’t disagree. Specifically, I believe Josh Allen was significantly ahead of Anthony Richardson when he was drafted. Accuracy is not Richardson’s only liability.

In general, I don’t disagree. Specifically, I believe Josh Allen was significantly ahead of Anthony Richardson when he was drafted. Accuracy is not Richardson’s only liability.
That's probably true. I haven't studied him in enough detail to know where he is realistically.

There's a spot in the draft where it changes from lolz, good luck to heck yeah, why NOT? I don't know where that is, but the fact is, if Raiders took him at #7, looks like an easy bust call. if they took him in the 2nd round, it's suddenly a great shot at upside.

He is very much like a 6'5, 270 pound edge that runs a 4.5, but only had one season of production. All upside, but if he pays off, you have DeMarcus Ware. Or he's Marcus Davenport.

The player, and his pros and cons, aren't going to change, but the perception will, based on his draft slot. Which honestly, isn't a good enough reason for it to change. But it does. I wish the best for him, because the more QBs that hit, the better the league.

There's a spot in the draft where it changes from lolz, good luck to heck yeah, why NOT? I don't know where that is, but the fact is, if Raiders took him at #7, looks like an easy bust call. if they took him in the 2nd round, it's suddenly a great shot at upside.
Totally agree.

IMO he’s a day 2 pick for potential project / upside.

Teams need QBs so badly, I would be surprised if he fell out of the first.

The Jets at 13 would perk my interest. A reach, sure, but when you have Zach Wilson, you can afford to have the guy sit and learn...

Oh wait.

The x-factor is his attitude…if he is a leader who is a hard worker he is worth a roll of the dice because you can not teach his physical skills…it is funny how the NFL went from it takes 3 years to develop a QB to you are expected to be ready to lead a team into the playoffs your rookie year…sure there are some who can but that just isn’t realistic for most…QB is by far the most important position in the NFL and a talent like a Richardson has a chance to be elite (and be a bust)…if he is still on the board in the late first I gotta believe a lot of teams will be looking to trade into that spot so you get 5 years to develop him…let’s face it…like many young QBs Richardson’s future will be tied into getting drafted by a quality franchise/HC…for some one that is raw like him he probably can not overcome not going to that type of situation.

After they trade Carr to the Colts for their first, it may be a solid dart throw.
....lol, what world are you living in?
The world where Jacoby Brissett, Philip Rivers, Carson Wentz & Matt Ryan seem like viable options.
wut?

After they trade Carr to the Colts for their first, it may be a solid dart throw.
....lol, what world are you living in?
The world where Jacoby Brissett, Philip Rivers, Carson Wentz & Matt Ryan seem like viable options.
wut?
Just pointing out the Colts have a recent history with trying to acquire QBs.

Pretty sure you understand that.

I doubt they go after Carr after their five year run at the position but it also wouldn't be a terrible shocker if they did.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Anthony Richardson dropping NUKES 😳

The Florida QB made this throw look effortless.
Now imagine double coverage downfield where he thew the ball, picking him off easily because he refused to check down.

Ahhhhhh, nice. :wub:
I like the caption stating his Agent paying the social media accounts for posts like this. One pretty throw when 50 throws were attempted

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Anthony Richardson dropping NUKES 😳

The Florida QB made this throw look effortless.
I hate analysis based on individual, cherry picked plays.

A couple weeks ago I watched 3-4 condensed games of every Richardson play. He makes amazing highlight reel plays for sure but he is also consistently and dreadfully inaccurate.

I won't comment too much on his ability to read defenses or working through his receiver progressions because I have no idea what he was coached.to do on those plays.

But he misses wide open receivers often and also often by incredibly large margins. Like 5-10 yards off target.

Tons of athletic ability but he will need a true QB whisperer, ala Daboll who might be the best in the business ATM, to get his accuracy anywhere near NFL caliber.

I don't even know if accuracy can be "fixed".

Feels like you can change mechanics, etc, but no one TAUGHT Marino and Rodgers to put the ball on a dime 40 yards away.

Comparisons to Jalen Hurts.....Hurts had accuracy metrics on par with Burrow. No one mentioned it, because he was athletic, so everyone launched into those cliches without actually looking at him.

Richardson is not a similar prospect, not from what I have seen.

People should remember, mock drafts now....they don't mean too much.

Feels like you can change mechanics, etc, but no one TAUGHT Marino and Rodgers to put the ball on a dime 40 yards away.

Comparisons to Jalen Hurts.....Hurts had accuracy metrics on par with Burrow. No one mentioned it, because he was athletic, so everyone launched into those cliches without actually looking at him.

People built up Willis last year, then he fell like he should have. AR will do the same if the NFL is smart, but it only takes one.

People built up Willis last year, then he fell like he should have. AR will do the same if the NFL is smart, but it only takes one.

Sometimes I think people don’t realize that people on forums or guys who do podcasts from their basement are not actually employed by NFL teams.

Josh Allen had serious questions about his accuracy coming into the NFL. He was a 56% passer in college (Richardson is 55%) and his first two seasons in the NFL. He jumped to 69% completions in his third year but has been a 63% passer the past two seasons, which is okay and nowhere near elite accuracy.

Josh Allen had serious questions about his accuracy coming into the NFL. He was a 56% passer in college (Richardson is 55%) and his first two seasons in the NFL. He jumped to 69% completions in his third year but has been a 63% passer the past two seasons, which is okay and nowhere near elite accuracy.
Actually he was 53.8% in 2022, You know, what have you done for me lately?

Richardson won’t be 22 until May…he is a 6’4” 230lb athletic freak with a cannon in a league that is valuing athleticism at the QB position more than ever…now he is very raw and has a long way to go before he can go from intriguing prospect to actual NFL starting QB…to simply write that off right now is not smart business.

Richardson won’t be 22 until May…he is a 6’4” 230lb athletic freak with a cannon in a league that is valuing athleticism at the QB position more than ever…now he is very raw and has a long way to go before he can go from intriguing prospect to actual NFL starting QB…to simply write that off right now is not smart business.
I agree. I used think Lamar Jackson couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing right in front of it. He's still not a great passer, but he did improve and is a 63% passer for his career.

I agree. I used think Lamar Jackson couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing right in front of it. He's still not a great passer, but he did improve and is a 63% passer for his career.

As stated above, IMO a lot will depend on attitude-work ethic-leadership…if he checks the boxes with those he is worth investing time in…if not than it doesn’t make sense because he has a ton of work to do to get to where he needs to be…but you just cannot teach what he does have.

I'm not writing him off at all.

At 1.06-7 I'd hard pass but at 1.25-2.07, I'd absolutely take that dart throw.

Even still... Will he be judged by the company he keeps?
Why not hire a professional trainer or QB Coach? Hire somebody with a skill set to help him advance
How do you know he’s not? People are really making big deal about a throw away statement. I’m sure over the years they’ve run into eachother before and are spending a few days working out?

McShay reports he's training with Malik Willis
Perhaps he should be training with someone that isn't as raw as he is.
He’s “training with” not “being trained by” - there could be trainers/coaches involved training both of them.
Old habits die hard when they brush up against you.
Ok - although that has nothing to do with what I said. I’m not endorsing him, just pointing out how some people are misinterpreting information. Somehow him having a work out has been spun into a negative.

He’s “training with” not “being trained by” - there could be trainers/coaches involved training both of them.
Ok - although that has nothing to do with what I said. I’m not endorsing him, just pointing out how some people are misinterpreting information. Somehow him having a work out has been spun into a negative.
I was mainly trying be humorous.

I love how the twitter link is chock full of Zach Wilson references and videos.

The parallel to how the Wilson hype started is uncanny.

That of course follows the comments last month that AR can “throw 70 yards from his knees” which likely triggered PTSD in Raider fans from the Jamarcus call-back.

Gonna be interesting to see who picks AR & where.

I think it's a positive for the coach if it works out.
Richardson could gain from the coaching.
This is a life moves at you fast and pick your friends carefully type deal though.
A year ago, he'd have been praised as Willis was supposedly the best QB in the draft (Ridder!) but this year Willis is a shmoo and it's a negative.

Richardson is supposedly going to train with several coaches including a running coach. This will fade then.

Going into a team interview saying I trained with these guys and these coaches will be quite different from I trained with Willis and this coach.

The Sirrius afternoon guys have been highly critical of him but are coming around. I'm open to it too I just don't want draft hype junk- arm length hand size 40 time etc. Give me tape or tutelage or something.

So far I don't see much but an incredible momentary awareness. Can he read a defense? Can he make ordinary throws on ordinary routes? That he's a video game player when a play breaks down is only going to be useful at certain moments. The "day to day" has to be better and it appears he knows that and is working towards that so I absolutely respect the good boy hard work mindset

Why not hire a professional trainer or QB Coach? Hire somebody with a skill set to help him advance
How do you know he’s not? People are really making big deal about a throw away statement. I’m sure over the years they’ve run into eachother before and are spending a few days working out?
I don't ... I was just making an observation on the limited data available. The picture it paints is that he is not trying to "work on his development" and the concern it could create for NFL Teams and scouts impacting his potential draft evaluation.

On the flip side, has there been reports he is working on his game skill stories other than what the media is pushing? I have not seen any but I might could have easily missed them.

I think it's a positive for the coach if it works out.
Richardson could gain from the coaching.
This is a life moves at you fast and pick your friends carefully type deal though.
A year ago, he'd have been praised as Willis was supposedly the best QB in the draft (Ridder!) but this year Willis is a shmoo and it's a negative.

Richardson is supposedly going to train with several coaches including a running coach. This will fade then.

Going into a team interview saying I trained with these guys and these coaches will be quite different from I trained with Willis and this coach.

The Sirrius afternoon guys have been highly critical of him but are coming around. I'm open to it too I just don't want draft hype junk- arm length hand size 40 time etc. Give me tape or tutelage or something.

So far I don't see much but an incredible momentary awareness. Can he read a defense? Can he make ordinary throws on ordinary routes? That he's a video game player when a play breaks down is only going to be useful at certain moments. The "day to day" has to be better and it appears he knows that and is working towards that so I absolutely respect the good boy hard work mindset
THANKS...

I don't ... I was just making an observation on the limited data available. The picture it paints is that he is not trying to "work on his development" and the concern it could create for NFL Teams and scouts impacting his potential draft evaluation.

On the flip side, has there been reports he is working on his game skill stories other than what the media is pushing? I have not seen any but I might could have easily missed them.
Why in the world would training with Malik Willis be negative company to keep?

Users who are viewing this thread