What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (4 Viewers)

Gator fan here. ARich is a heck of an athlete and at times against good competition has seen up to the challenge. I'm glad the Phins do not have a first rounder this year bc I think this is the type of player you are really gambling on. He's perfect for a team like the Ravens or even perhaps the Rams in that their coaches are immune to being second guessed and are prepared to build an offensive system around him. Maybe someone like Pete Carroll as well can keep his starter and draft ARich as a hybrid player and develop him. I wonder if McDaniel in Vegas has the stones to try the Tebow experiment again with a player with a cannon...
God I hope the Colts don’t draft him or Levis, but I see a lot of mocks for Levis going to Indy. I think Levis has issues with decisions, but AR is a horrible passer and has some emotional issues on the field ( see UK game). I’m not so sure AR can be fixed to play QB at the next level, but whoever takes him better have 5 years. As for Levis, all this Josh Allen talk is BS, but if the Colts have to take one of them, I hope it is Levis and not AR.
Again, there is something to be said about coaches tailoring their systems to their Qbs ala Lamar in Baltimore, especially since there are so many different types of QBs in college these days. Maybe not the colts specifically, but if you use the "tebow" offense Josh M used back in the day but with a QB who has a cannon (like Arich) you should be able to win some games for sure.

Gator fan here. ARich is a heck of an athlete and at times against good competition has seen up to the challenge. I'm glad the Phins do not have a first rounder this year bc I think this is the type of player you are really gambling on. He's perfect for a team like the Ravens or even perhaps the Rams in that their coaches are immune to being second guessed and are prepared to build an offensive system around him. Maybe someone like Pete Carroll as well can keep his starter and draft ARich as a hybrid player and develop him. I wonder if McDaniel in Vegas has the stones to try the Tebow experiment again with a player with a cannon...
God I hope the Colts don’t draft him or Levis, but I see a lot of mocks for Levis going to Indy. I think Levis has issues with decisions, but AR is a horrible passer and has some emotional issues on the field ( see UK game). I’m not so sure AR can be fixed to play QB at the next level, but whoever takes him better have 5 years. As for Levis, all this Josh Allen talk is BS, but if the Colts have to take one of them, I hope it is Levis and not AR.
Again, there is something to be said about coaches tailoring their systems to their Qbs ala Lamar in Baltimore, especially since there are so many different types of QBs in college these days. Maybe not the colts specifically, but if you use the "tebow" offense Josh M used back in the day but with a QB who has a cannon (like Arich) you should be able to win some games for sure.
with what top QBs are being paid, some smart team will go with the running QB plan to the max, and stock a stable of 3 similar QBs to deal with the inevitable injuries.
draft a new one every year, not expecting any of them will become studly traditional QBs, but good enough to execute a Greg Roman offense.

with what top QBs are being paid, some smart team will go with the running QB plan to the max, and stock a stable of 3 similar QBs to deal with the inevitable injuries.
draft a new one every year, not expecting any of them will become studly traditional QBs, but good enough to execute a Greg Roman offense.
I would think building a team around a QB’s strength is always better than making your QB fit your team.

I would think building a team around a QB’s strength is always better than making your QB fit your team.
Oh, I agree. I think the issue most likely is can you get 2or 3 qbs in the building that all have similar traits, bc one play and you have to change the whole offense.

Oh, I agree. I think the issue most likely is can you get 2or 3 qbs in the building that all have similar traits, bc one play and you have to change the whole offense.
you can if that is your plan.
the problem is too many dinosaurs are in front officers locked into searching for the next great pocket passer.

However, plenty of running QBs coming out of college to pick from.
Take Chicago for instance - they aren't sold on Fields and may draft an unknown pocket passer.
Ravens would be wise to chase Fields after ditching Lamar

the problem is too many dinosaurs are in front officers locked into searching for the next great pocket passer.

Take Chicago for instance - they aren't sold on Fields and may draft an unknown pocket passer.
Chicago not sold on Fields? After the 2nd half he had I don't see why that would be. He seems like he figured things out and was on his way to developing into a legit QB.

I really wouldn't want my team wasting a 1st round pick on Richardson. He's way too much a risk. Sure he's got tools, but I have less faith that he'll put it together than Malik Willis or Sam Howell. Heck, I still have more faith in Zack Wilson I think. I just don't see Josh Allen like future for him. He's a project either way. If he were still there in the 2nd and my team needed a QB, I suppose that'd be a fair risk. But I'd honestly rather have Levis.

What? Who are the running QBs and who are the pocket passers?

Running QBs like Fields don’t win in the postseason. Can he become Hurts? That’s the question.

The Ravens are learning the hard way that QBs who run too often aren’t always available to help the team win.

The Bills should be careful with Allen too. He’s taking way too much punishment.

Jared Tokarz @JaredNFLDraft
Todd McShay said he's talked to a team who has QB Anthony Richardson AHEAD of Will Levis on their board and one who has as low as a 2nd-3rd grade on him.

But as we know, all it takes is one team to fall in love and Anthony Richardson will be off the board earlier than expected.

Jared Tokarz @JaredNFLDraft

Now just for fun, you got to think the team who has him rated higher are teams where a mobile QB is held in higher regard. Could it be....the #Ravens ?

Blessed athlete with holy wow spatial awareness.
I don't see great quarterback in him though.
He looks like the best athletes playing QB in high school went on to play QB in college.

There's no polish, little technique and overtly obvious intellectual moments like pointing at the D and audibling.

I'm dying to see him catch passes or return a punt. He's got some Barry or Dante Hall to him in space. Some highlights I absolutely love.

He's gotta get to a QB coach and wow people at his pro day with the new proper technique he's mastered.

I don't see field general vision but I'm open to being wrong, y'all tell me. I simply see a phenomenal reactionary guy. How about just reading a D and going thru progressions without any panic or special athleticism needed?

I don't believe he's been coached where to place the ball either. Maybe he didn't need to be but he sure will in the NFL.

I don't at all think he stays a first round pick unless it's late and a team can afford to develop him.

He's far better than Malik Willis BUT Willis flopping will have GMs scared of a thing or two and I think he unfortunately lacks the qualities to assure them.

Sorry this is so negative I know he has a lot of fans. He's not Lamar like at all to me. He's just reactionary and an OMG ability in space

He looks like the best athletes playing QB in high school went on to play QB in college.

There's no polish, little technique and overtly obvious intellectual moments like pointing at the D and audibling.

I'm dying to see him catch passes or return a punt. He's got some Barry or Dante Hall to him in space. Some highlights I absolutely love.

He's gotta get to a QB coach and wow people at his pro day with the new proper technique he's mastered.

I don't see field general vision but I'm open to being wrong, y'all tell me. I simply see a phenomenal reactionary guy. How about just reading a D and going thru progressions without any panic or special athleticism needed?

I don't believe he's been coached where to place the ball either. Maybe he didn't need to be but he sure will in the NFL.

I don't at all think he stays a first round pick unless it's late and a team can afford to develop him.

He's far better than Malik Willis BUT Willis flopping will have GMs scared of a thing or two and I think he unfortunately lacks the qualities to assure them.

Sorry this is so negative I know he has a lot of fans. He's not Lamar like at all to me. He's just reactionary and an OMG ability in space
Are you thinking some version of NOS TE Tysom Hill role? More gadget player than a Pocket/Running QB?
If his physical talent can transfer, it might have some potential with the right coach / situation.

I don't think the Colts want a QB that is several years away and AR is several years away. He could be a decade away.

He’s really inaccurate but man is he talented. Reminds me of Josh Allen coming out where people said he will never be accurate enough to play but they surrounded him with great players and then his overall talent came through.

Are you thinking some version of NOS TE Tysom Hill role? More gadget player than a Pocket/Running QB?
If his physical talent can transfer, it might have some potential with the right coach / situation.
I don't know.
We had that racist garbage which....30? years later has made it a bunch of land mines for anyone to step on and discuss.
He gets me excited. Guy can stop on a dime and change direction like very few in NFL history.
For a QB, we used to always hear some retired guy (like Steve Young) wanted to tutor young QBs. As a pocket QB, he seems untrained. We need to know if that's bad listening, coaches didn't bother, truthful arrogance that his athleticism can just take over or what's the reason. Top of my head is unreasonable suggestion but skip 2023 and spend it with a veteran being trained every day. I don't know that he....said it above.
The way he plants his foot and makes a move, I think he can learn WR in seconds and be special with the ball. Does he take pride in his game where he'll put work in running routes? Does he have hands?
I want this guy to talk to Anquan Boldin and like the whole Steelers WR corp twenty years ago. Get an advisor that's been through it and that he can speak honestly with. I think chatting with a QB will just bring up pride but the former QBs will bring out honesty.
Most of all the guy has special athleticism it's simply how he can best use it and profit from it too

YouTube: The Franchise Guy - Anthony Richardson's Film Is A Magical Disaster

If it were possible to get this guy in the late 2nd/early 3rd round I say go for it. But boy, the dude is a MASSIVE risk as a 1st. It kinda reminds me how people caped for Jordan Love as the next Mahomes... only now does Jordan Love look like he can be a decent NFL QB.

Richardson looks like he's legit two years away, but he has mouthwatering athletic talent. This guy's arm makes Josh Allen look like Chad Pennington.

Last edited:
YouTube: The Franchise Guy - Anthony Richardson's Film Is A Magical Disaster

If it were possible to get this guy in the late 2nd/early 3rd I say go for it. But boy, the dude is a MASSIVE risk as a 1st. It kinda reminds me how people caped for Jordan Love as the next Mahomes... only now does Jordan Love look like he can be a decent NFL QB.

Richardson looks like he's legit two years away, but he has mouthwatering athletic talent. This guy's arm makes Josh Allen look like Chad Pennington.
Jordan Love had like 1/3rd the physical ability Richardson has though.

I think Richardson looks a lot closer to a guy like Trey Lance. In that same vein, I think some team will have him in their top-3 overall prospects and he'll go at least top-10.

I've gotten higher on Richardson of late, he's going to be very inconsistent, but if he goes to an offense that tailors to him (which any smart team should do if they draft him top-10), then I think low-end QB1 value could be on the table as a rookie, just with how valuable his rushing value could be. He can be a Fields/Lamar caliber runner right away.

They are just training together, Malik isn't his QB coach. I am just Malik can give him a good idea of how the NFL will approach him, what they will ask, etc. Though I do it from a marketing standpoint, not sure I would want my name associated with Malik.

They are just training together, Malik isn't his QB coach. I am just Malik can give him a good idea of how the NFL will approach him, what they will ask, etc. Though I do it from a marketing standpoint, not sure I would want my name associated with Malik.
Even still... Will he be judged by the company he keeps?
Why not hire a professional trainer or QB Coach? Hire somebody with a skill set to help him advance?
Maybe it was they were just part of a different program together and it got shared with limited info? Who knows...
But not a good image to send at this point.

Why not hire a professional trainer or QB Coach? Hire somebody with a skill set to help him advance?
Maybe it was they were just part of a different program together and it got shared with limited info? Who knows...
We don't really know the details. For all we know it is some QB coach and Willis is there working to get better after the rough rookie year. I don't think Richardson released a press statement saying he is with Willis or anything, it's just an observation someone made. I bet he's working out a lot of places with a lot of different people the next couple months.

Last edited:
We don't really know the details. For all we know it is some QB coach and Willis is there to working to get better after the rough rookie year. I don't think Richardson released a press statement saying he is with Willis or anything, it's just an observation someone made. I bet he's working out a lot of places with a lot of different people the next couple months.
The bolded feels like the most likely scenario.

Brandon Olsen @WNS_Brandon
For further clarification, Anthony Richardson is still with Denny Thompson.

Malik Willis just started training with Denny as well. Willis was previously with Sean McEvoy, who is also one of the better trainers IMO. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Anthony Richardson has reportedly been working out with Titans QB Malik Willis at a QB training facility in Jacksonville, FL.

Both QB’s with big time traits and great potential 👀

Ian Wharton @NFLFilmStudy
What separates him from someone like Malik Willis? There's more polish to his game within the pocket at a younger age and against higher competition.

His touch is better and he maneuvers cleaner. Willis almost plays like he's holding the turbo button down every second. Not AR.

He Is an interesting project, and a physical specimen… I’m just not sure any team is going to make him a first round NFL draft pick. And if they do, I think it’s a mistake because it’s going to take two years for him to figure things out.

He Is an interesting project, and a physical specimen… I’m just not sure any team is going to make him a first round NFL draft pick. And if they do, I think it’s a mistake because it’s going to take two years for him to figure things out.
Whether they should or not, a team absolutely will take him in the 1st. Probably in the 1st 1/2 of the 1st at that

But not a good image to send at this point
Think you are maybe taking one bit of info and running away a bit?

Whether they should or not, a team absolutely will take him in the 1st. Probably in the 1st 1/2 of the 1st at that
I am not yet convinced of that. It’s possible, but I am skeptical. I believe once he does the interviews, coaches are going to see that he is significantly behind the curve and not worth the first round draft capital.

Ian Wharton @NFLFilmStudy
What separates him from someone like Malik Willis? There's more polish to his game within the pocket at a younger age and against higher competition.

His touch is better and he maneuvers cleaner. Willis almost plays like he's holding the turbo button down every second. Not AR.

I have no idea how anyone that watched this guy play could come to that conclusion. I watched Richardson throw pass after pass after pass at 1000mph 5 yards over his receiver's head or into their face mask or into the ground when they were standing a few yards away.

"Plays like he's holding the turbo button down every second" is EXACTLY how I would describe AR.

But not a good image to send at this point
Think you are maybe taking one bit of info and running away a bit?
Jogging... maybe... But I was just curious if others had more info. But I wanted to point out the lack of (Info) him working with a "QB Coach" or other professional for his development.

Shocked this guy is entering the draft.

Has looked a woefully inadequate passer when I've seen him. Must have got word a few teams would take him early if he was available.
Just making a recent comparison, Malik Willis was a significantly better prospect than Richardson.

Richardson is a day 3 pick in my opinion. There are AT LEAST 5 better QBs in this draft.

AR is signicfican;ty better then Malik Willis. I wouldn't have ever drafted Willis. Scouts got enamored with his athleticism. Hell Tenn was scared ****less of this guy throwing a football this year and I think they are having instant draft regret on him

Malik Willis v2
Sure gives that vibe but the draft will give a us a big indication how NFL teams view him. If he's a 1st round pick then that means NFL teams aren't comping him to Willis,
Big difference between Liberty and Florida.

I think Willis is being underrated for what its worth. Everyone knew he was a project who was at least 1-2 years away. I wouldn't be throwing in the towel on him, and if the Titans are, I'd be very interested in getting him as a backup/3rd guy if I ran an NFL team.

Richardson has the highest ceiling in this class, I think. His mobility is as good as anyone, and his arm is huge. If he's got weapons that can play as a rookie, while he develops as a passer. Truthfully, I think Stroud is overrated. He's good but has a low ceiling in my opinion. Seems more like a Mac Jones/Tua level player to me, where he looks great throwing to NFL WRs with no pressure on him. Stroud was pretty bad whenever he was pressured. I still like Stroud, but I think QB is 5 deep, with various different skill sets, rather than Young/Stroud and then a bunch of meh.

Malik Willis v2
Sure gives that vibe but the draft will give a us a big indication how NFL teams view him. If he's a 1st round pick then that means NFL teams aren't comping him to Willis,
Big difference between Liberty and Florida.

I think Willis is being underrated for what its worth. Everyone knew he was a project who was at least 1-2 years away. I wouldn't be throwing in the towel on him, and if the Titans are, I'd be very interested in getting him as a backup/3rd guy if I ran an NFL team.

Richardson has the highest ceiling in this class, I think. His mobility is as good as anyone, and his arm is huge. If he's got weapons that can play as a rookie, while he develops as a passer. Truthfully, I think Stroud is overrated. He's good but has a low ceiling in my opinion. Seems more like a Mac Jones/Tua level player to me, where he looks great throwing to NFL WRs with no pressure on him. Stroud was pretty bad whenever he was pressured. I still like Stroud, but I think QB is 5 deep, with various different skill sets, rather than Young/Stroud and then a bunch of meh.
Absolutely and no doubt he goes much higher than Willis did

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Anthony Richardson started in just 13 games throughout his college career at Florida. If selected in the first round, that would be the least amount of games started by a college QB selected in the first round since 2000. The Florida QB is one of a kind 1f633.png
I really wouldn't want my team wasting a 1st round pick on Richardson. He's way too much a risk.
Anthony Richardson: Nothing More than a Glorified Option Quarterback December 29, 2022

Final Words​

He will not be able to manipulate defenses as easily at the next level. His lack of playing speed and his erratic ball placement will cause him to run out of ammunition in the NFL.

Richardson will be a bust if he’s taken in the first-round.

Daniel Kelly is a former NFL Scout with the New York Jets. He was hired on the regime which featured Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Scott Pioli, Mike Tannenbaum, and **** Haley. He currently writes for Sports Illustrated New York Jets and he is the Editor-in-Chief for First Round Mock.

Feels like a guy that everyone will go gaga about his strengths while ignoring his substantial weaknesses.

Weaknesses

• He is a bit quick to leave the pocket as his feet have a tendency to get tight when pressured. Richardson far too often does not reset his feet once he picks them up to slide because of pressure. Rather than sliding away from the pressure and then sitting in the pocket, Richardson opts to instead try and exit the pocket as quickly as possible.
  • When rolling to his right he has a tendency to drop his arm slot and throwing shoulder a bit on the move, which causes him to drag some of his throws away from the intended target. Because of this a throw that would be in stride to a receiver breaking to the sideline ends up being a bit inside which results in either an incompletion or stopping the receiver entirely resulting in no YAC.
  • In the short passing game for the most part he is accurate, although there were too many simple throws he missed that have to be completed or at least on target at the NFL level. On some instances when Richardson is throwing to his left that he almost fades his upper body to the target so his front shoulder leaks to the left which results in inaccurate passes.
  • As a deep ball passer Richardson struggles mightily. His deep balls have a tendency to float as he flicks them out of his hand and does not get the proper angle with his shoulders in order to apply the correct amount of loft on the throw. He can effortlessly throw the ball 60+ yards but in order for him to make it a weapon in his arsenal he needs to work on his mechanics when throwing them. The overall ball placement of them as well leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Richardson locks onto his first read way too often, sometimes following them across the field.
  • When there was a called deep shot, Richardson would never come off of it no matter how blanketed the deep receiver was. There were multiple instances in which he could come off of that receiver to find a checkdown who was in acres of space, but he refused to.
  • In terms of his eyes Richardson did not use them to look off a defender who was in zone to free up a receiver.

So he’s too quick to abandon the pass & take off running, locks onto his 1st receiver, throws inaccurately short and medium, struggles to throw deep, has bad footwork, can’t look off defenders, and insists on throwing into coverage deep if a deep shot is called? Did I miss anything there? 😳

Because that’s…a lot.

But sure, he’s big & can run. I guess that’s something.

Users who are viewing this thread