What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Andy Dalton, CAR (1 Viewer)

Dalton is horrible how can Green only have 9 receiving yards?
Maybe Green is not as good as he is being propped up to be. Kind of like another guy who used to play in Ohio.
I was being sarcastic. I think Dalton is just fine.
I know but I'm making others think a little.
who are you talking about? I am quite confused.
We know you thought Josh Freeman would make the Bengals better.

and you think that dalton missing multiple tds a game is not worthy of criticism. we all have our flaws. the difference is that I am willing to reassess my viewpoint based on new evidence. you prefer to rely on goal post shifting, non sequitors and insults.

freeman is washed up and wont make the bengals better. that has nothing to do with the fact that dalton still leaves tds on the field and is a middling qb.

regardless, I am confused about who this cryptic post was referring to

Mario Kart, on 27 Oct 2013 - 4:34 PM, said:

Maybe Green is not as good as he is being propped up to be. Kind of like another guy who used to play in Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a Lion homer, I have gotten to see Andy dalton up close and personal... This guy plain stinks and is holding AJGreen back BIGTIME. He had 2 50 + yard tds underthrown badly and even on the 80 + yard td he had to stop for it and had it not been for Ajgreens physical freakness it may not have even been caught. This is really terrible to have a qb like that with a pee arm. Am I being to irrational or has this been a problem for Ajgreen's career?
Yes, you were being irrational.

2 bombs to AJ for 50+ yards each yesterday
And both were plays AJ made for him on under thrown balls. They both should have been TDs. Then there were the 3 others he blatantly missed in the game that AJ and Sanu weren't able to adjust and still get. Reading the stat line doesn't really help with this topic.

And both were plays AJ made for him on under thrown balls. They both should have been TDs. Then there were the 3 others he blatantly missed in the game that AJ and Sanu weren't able to adjust and still get. Reading the stat line doesn't really help with this topic.
What percentage of balls thrown 50+ yards in the air do most QBs complete? What percentage are you looking for from Dalton?

yes sir underthrown again.... He is capt underthrow... yea it looks nice he had 2 50 yard catches that really could have been 60 plus yard tds.... big diff... I love this thread because it is one u can bump every week :)

What percentage of balls thrown 50+ yards in the air do most QBs complete? What percentage are you looking for from Dalton?
well his % ratio should be a lot higher throwing to the likes of AJG

The guy throws 5 TDs and people are worrying about him underthrowing the ball.
The thread is about precisely that, Dalton throwing the deep ball. What did you expect?
I also don't get the problem.

This thread is about Dalton's (in-)ability to throw a deep pass. It's not about him being a god or bad NFL/fantasy football QB.

You can obviously be a good (potentially great) QB with some seriously underthrown passes. That simply doesn't seem to be his forte.

Did you watch the game? The first bomb to AJ was right in stride, and in traffic. It was never going to be a touchdown. The final bomb to AJ would have been a touchdown yes, but for Dalton that's about as far as he can throw it.

AJ also dropped a perfectly thrown deep ball on the left sideline. The pass to Sanu was right in his hands, Sanu dropped it.

The "3 others he blatantly missed" is factually wrong.

Apparently whenever Dalton throws an incomplete bomb, someone is going to bump this thread.

Did you watch the game? The first bomb to AJ was right in stride, and in traffic. It was never going to be a touchdown. The final bomb to AJ would have been a touchdown yes, but for Dalton that's about as far as he can throw it.

AJ also dropped a perfectly thrown deep ball on the left sideline. The pass to Sanu was right in his hands, Sanu dropped it.

Yes I watched the game and he missed on all those throws. AJ didn't drop a single one, what are you talking about. Dalton under threw AJ, who had 5 yds on Cromartie, but the ball was so under thrown Cromartie was able to recover and get a hand on it.

Yes I watched the game and he missed on all those throws. AJ didn't drop a single one, what are you talking about. Dalton under threw AJ, who had 5 yds on Cromartie, but the ball was so under thrown Cromartie was able to recover and get a hand on it.
With :53 seconds in the first half, he hit Green in stride with Cromartie on his hip, right before a safety came over. Ball was perfectly placed.

With 11:46 in the 3rd quarter, Dalton threw a 30 yard bomb right in AJ's hands, and AJ just dropped it.

The first play you mentioned, where Cromartie got an outstretched hand on it was perhaps underthrown. It would have hit Green in stride. However, it could have been thrown a little further, making it a more difficult catch.

Deep balls aren't a high percentage throw.

THe Bengals are winning and that is all that matters. As long as they do, the Bengals and especially the cheap owner is more than happy to not have a glamor QB (who also would command big money).

And if the Bengals slip? History of the Bengals has shown they will let it run into the ground far too long before pulling the plug.

In my estimation, barring injury, Dalton has at least 2 1/2 seasons of grace period.

THe Bengals are winning and that is all that matters. As long as they do, the Bengals and especially the cheap owner is more than happy to not have a glamor QB (who also would command big money).

And if the Bengals slip? History of the Bengals has shown they will let it run into the ground far too long before pulling the plug.

In my estimation, barring injury, Dalton has at least 2 1/2 seasons of grace period.
Dalton is going to get huge money soon.

With :53 seconds in the first half, he hit Green in stride with Cromartie on his hip, right before a safety came over. Ball was perfectly placed.

With 11:46 in the 3rd quarter, Dalton threw a 30 yard bomb right in AJ's hands, and AJ just dropped it.

The first play you mentioned, where Cromartie got an outstretched hand on it was perhaps underthrown. It would have hit Green in stride. However, it could have been thrown a little further, making it a more difficult catch.

Deep balls aren't a high percentage throw.
Perhaps under thrown? The opening pass to AJ was severely under thrown. The pass you are talking about that he hit AJ in perfect stride was no way perfect stride. AJ slowed up, used his body to box out Cromartie and made an awesome adjustment to the ball. Its probably the best attribute AJ has, the ability to track the ball insanely well and use his body to position himself vs the DB and make the catch. Still, I give credit to Dalton on that play because he is willing to let AJ go get it. To act as though it was perfectly thrown is simply false. Nobody is saying Dalton has to hit all of is deep throws or that he hits none of them. He misses more than most QBs though. This has been a consistent issue of his for 3 years now. He's still a very good QB despite it.

As long as he is leading them to the playoffs he will be safe. There is no reason to think otherwise. The team is good enough that they are probably going to make the playoffs with ease.

and you think that dalton missing multiple tds a game is not worthy of criticism. we all have our flaws. the difference is that I am willing to reassess my viewpoint based on new evidence. you prefer to rely on goal post shifting, non sequitors and insults.

freeman is washed up and wont make the bengals better. that has nothing to do with the fact that dalton still leaves tds on the field and is a middling qb.

All quarterbacks leave touchdowns on the field, whether it is from poor throws, just not seeing the receiver, or pressure in the pocket. You are just mad because you own and love some AJ Green and he isn't putting up the same numbers as you put up while playing Madden.

See the highlighted part? Exactly, everyone and every quarterback, Dalton has problems with the deep ball, but he is doing just fine without it right now and I am 99% sure he is working on it. He isn't wasting the prime of the Bengals, he is a big part of why they are and will be successful.

All quarterbacks leave touchdowns on the field, whether it is from poor throws, just not seeing the receiver, or pressure in the pocket. You are just mad because you own and love some AJ Green and he isn't putting up the same numbers as you put up while playing Madden.

See the highlighted part? Exactly, everyone and every quarterback, Dalton has problems with the deep ball, but he is doing just fine without it right now and I am 99% sure he is working on it. He isn't wasting the prime of the Bengals, he is a big part of why they are and will be successful.
I agree. Dalton has gotten better and better at reading his progressions and at hitting those intermediate throws. He is in fact a large portion of why they are winning. That should no way be taken away from him.

The guy throws 5 TDs and people are worrying about him underthrowing the ball.
The thread is about precisely that, Dalton throwing the deep ball. What did you expect?
I also don't get the problem.

This thread is about Dalton's (in-)ability to throw a deep pass. It's not about him being a god or bad NFL/fantasy football QB.

You can obviously be a good (potentially great) QB with some seriously underthrown passes. That simply doesn't seem to be his forte.
:The title is about his deep ball, but some where down the road it went to that Dalton is an awful quarterback, he is wasting the prime of the Bengals, he is ruining AJ Green's career, and that the Bengals should have signed Josh Freeman.

I am being serious because I watched some not all of the Bengals game. Is he under pressure or on the run on some of these deep passes?

I am being serious because I watched some not all of the Bengals game. Is he under pressure or on the run on some of these deep passes?
No, not usually. On some of them he is rolled out of the pocket with nobody within several yds of him. I feel like he is over thinking or forcing some of his deep balls, personally. That he knows it's been an issue, and the coaches have talked to him and worked with him on it, so he gets too cute with it and tries to make a perfect throw. Don't think so much and just wing it!

Questions on his deep ball ability aside, has any QB had a better last 3 weeks in FF than Dalton? And now he gets Hawkins back in the slot.

I was likely going to start him over Ryan tonight until I made a trade but I'm still curious as to what others see his value at for the rest of the season. Obviously, he cant keep up his pace of the last 3 weeks but his play has him looking like an upper echelon QB2 with upside.

Anyone dealt him, targeting him, etc?

I had only Eli and Flacco in a 12 team dynasty with 18 rostered devy players. I'm leading the league in points and needed a consistent QB down the stretch, so I traded Stefon Diggs for him today, straight up.

He's surrounded by great talent that should get better as Bernard and Eifert improve, and he has more than enough talent to stay consistent or possibly even improve as they gear the passing game to his strengths. He doesn't have to throw the ball deep a lot to be effective, or even very good from a fantasy football perspective. His "weak arm" reputation will make him a lot cheaper than he should be.

I view him as a lower QB1 or a really strong option in a QBBC. And he's a guy that a "real" NFL team can definitely win with.

I've been riding Dalton in 2 leagues the past couple of weeks. No, I have zero interest in moving him. I think he sustains this for the most part. Cinci is loaded.

I've been riding Dalton in 2 leagues the past couple of weeks. No, I have zero interest in moving him. I think he sustains this for the most part. Cinci is loaded.
I haven't watched enough Bengal games, what do you think Dalton's value in dynasty is?

I haven't watched enough Bengal games, what do you think Dalton's value in dynasty is?
I think his value is very strong, low end QB1. He's a very good short to intermediate passer who also gets the luxury of big plays thanks to Green. I think Cinci is a near perfect situation for his skill set and the team around him appears loaded for a while. Good oline, elite WR, 2 or perhaps 3 solid WRs behind Green and 2 very good TEs. He will never be elite unless he corrects his deep passes, but I can't see him being outside of the top 15.

Lets not forget that one of his interceptions shouldn't have happened, that was a weak holding call on Gresham that took back a touchdown pass.

Lets not forget that one of his interceptions shouldn't have happened, that was a weak holding call on Gresham that took back a touchdown pass.
Yeah, but it doesn't work that way. That's like saying his big play shouldn't have happened because of some similar reason. The pressing issue is and always has been arm strength to make all the throws. Dalton just doesn't have it. He's normally better than this but he simply isn't going to develop it 3 years in IMO. He is who he is.

He's rivers but not as good
He's like a young Carson Palmer, only a little worse.
All the same. Fine if everything is good. Good protection, good talent he can make a play but if he has to move 2 feet everything breaks down. Can't handle pressure or adversity.
You can say the same thing about Brady and Manning.
They have pocket presence though. He doesn't. They make players better he doesn't. They need to surround him to make him presentable.

I just don't like him, don't think he's a good qb. Could be wrong, been wrong plenty of times but just don't like him and think he's a mark Sanchez of sorts.

All the same. Fine if everything is good. Good protection, good talent he can make a play but if he has to move 2 feet everything breaks down. Can't handle pressure or adversity.
They have pocket presence though. He doesn't. They make players better he doesn't. They need to surround him to make him presentable.

I just don't like him, don't think he's a good qb. Could be wrong, been wrong plenty of times but just don't like him and think he's a mark Sanchez of sorts.
I understand if people don't think he is a great qb but Mark Sanchez? Come on

Just as I say that he throws a pick, not his fault completely but damn lol

They have pocket presence though. He doesn't. They make players better he doesn't. They need to surround him to make him presentable.I just don't like him, don't think he's a good qb. Could be wrong, been wrong plenty of times but just don't like him and think he's a mark Sanchez of sorts.
People thought Sanchez was good when he had a great great run game, great line, made the playoffs. He wan good when everything is in his favor similar to dalton. Hes not a comeback qb, he's not a playmaking qb, he's a game manager. On a good team surrounded by good/great Talent, good line, great defense and he's good. He's not a difference maker. He's just not.

manning makes his decisions so quick that he does not have to deal with pressure. surely you already knew that tho.

manning makes his decisions so quick that he does not have to deal with pressure. surely you already knew that tho.
I guess you missed some of his playoff games or even his last 2 games.

i mean, dalton is obv a lot better than sanchez. and he has his moments. but i dont trust him. he holds onto the ball way too long. he misses way too many deep tds to green. doesnt have the arm to throw an out.

he is surrounded by a ton of talent and he is pretty good at utilizing it when things are going well.

I guess you missed some of his playoff games or even his last 2 games.
He's won a Super Bowl. Has dalton won a playoff game? He may get lucky and pull this game out but this team is a playoff team in spite of him.

Users who are viewing this thread