What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Week 3: Notes, Observations & Discussion (1 Viewer)

Cardinals at Saints...cancelled?

I don't get 'cancelled'. I mean, I get the potentially catastrophic weather conditions that would lead to concern about the game being played on Saturday. I get that.

...but in this day and age, no more preseason after this Week 3, and Week 1 games not starting until 09/09, 12-13...they can't find another venue and a date on which to play, sometime in the near future, nowhere near the Gulf area where all the weather is going down? Where's the 'postpone' and reschedule option?

These games are important, and not just to fantasy gamers. This is some real lost opportunity the Cardinals and Saints that could put them at a competitive disadvantage vs  the rest of the League. How do they decide to just cancel it???

Maybe they'll figure it out before it's too late. One can only hope.

I've been saying this since his first year as a starter, watching him feels like watching Jordan at his peek.  We're going to be telling our great grandkids about how much better Mahomes was at the position than any before or after.
It's like watching Steph Curry.

I don't get 'cancelled'. I mean, I get the potentially catastrophic weather conditions that would lead to concern about the game being played on Saturday. I get that.

...but in this day and age, no more preseason after this Week 3, and Week 1 games not starting until 09/09, 12-13...they can't find another venue and a date on which to play, sometime in the near future, nowhere near the Gulf area where all the weather is going down? Where's the 'postpone' and reschedule option?

These games are important, and not just to fantasy gamers. This is some real lost opportunity the Cardinals and Saints that could put them at a competitive disadvantage vs  the rest of the League. How do they decide to just cancel it???

I would think resources are already tasked to the max with the pandemic adversely affecting hospitals/emergency response/law enforcement, etc. Plus Louisiana and all their neighboring states are experiencing similar hardships to varying degrees.  Just not worth it for a game that doesn't count.  Yeah, their in season prep could in reality put them somewhat behind other franchises..but priorities come into play here.  The governor asked, and I'm sure the Saints conferred with the NFL and the Cardinals people on this. It was an easy call to cancel  IMO.  Our priorities have to change during these difficult times

Teams played 0 preseason games last year and the season went fine. 

oh come on... 

Mahomes will need nearly 15 more seasons at this pace to touch Brady's counting stats assuming Brady stopped now. 

Super Bowl wins 

Brady -- 6

Mahomes -- 1

Super Bowl appearances

Brady -- 10

Mahomes -- 2

Super Bowl MVPs

Brady -- 4

Mahomes -- 1

Pass touchdowns

Brady -- 80

Mahomes -- 17

Playoff wins

Brady -- 33

Mahomes -- 6
Selective memory? TB won last year in TB = 7 SB wins and 5 SB MVPs. I know NE fans are trying to forget about last year. 

Seems a bit over dramatic. I don’t think it puts either team at a competitive disadvantage- most teams aren’t playing their starters anyway.

Yeah, only 20 more years of upper echelon play from Mahomes to catch-up to Brady. Correction, Brady still tacking on years. Nothing against Mahomes, but Brady is not done.
Yeah...long way to go...this talk happened around Rodgers too after his SB run and the subsequent year of lighting it up.

@Doug B @SaintsInDome2006

Just curious if you NOLA guys think part of the reason they canceled the Cardinals preseason game was so as to not be a distraction for mandatory & voluntary evacuations?

Then too I’m wondering if there was concern over seeming insensitive to the 16th anniversary of Katrina? I know 9/11 remains a touchy subject around here and it’s difficult for me to discuss in just about any context. I imagine there’s an painful association between the Caesars Superdome and the 1,800 who perished during the storm, which maybe non-residents don’t think about right away.

Or I could be totally off base. Hey, not true by to make anyone look bad or stir up negative feelings. Just looking for the local perspective. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
@Doug B @SaintsInDome2006

Just curious if you NOLA guys think part of the reason they canceled the Cardinals preseason game was so as to not be a distraction for mandatory & voluntary evacuations?
A bunch of good reasons. Evacuations are going on, but are not as hot-&-heavy as the national media is making it look. At least not for the N.O. area behind levee protection. Probably over 90% of levee-protection locals are sheltering in place. Outside of the levees ... yeah, they're leaving in droves.

Other reasons: The Saints are setting up shop temporarily in Dallas, and they want to get the team + families set up in Texas ASAP. The Cardinals don't want to be stuck down here in case of something unforeseen. And yeah ... cancelling the game gives Superdome and ancillary staff time to prepare their homes, buy shelter-in-place supplies -- or prepare and execute an evacuation if they're going to do that. Residential sheltering takes time to set up as it is.

DJ Moore is unbelievably undervalued right now.  He is going in the 6th in 12 team leagues.  That is stupid.  Just stupid
Not sure where you got that from. His average ADP in PPR leagues is 49th overall / WR21. FBG had him ranked 43/19. That's pretty far from where you have him. And on a side note, I would be very leery of any WR with Darnold as a QB.

Fair enough I am just going by that site?  Is there another one that you know of that shows real drafts?
Here's another resource. LINK

I think if it gets close to the point where he might go and you want him, you'll probably have to take him because he won't make it back to you next pick. I'd be surprised if he fell to WR25. Fantasy Calculator is the outlier. Every place else has him WR 19-21.

I've been saying this since his first year as a starter, watching him feels like watching Jordan at his peek.  We're going to be telling our great grandkids about how much better Mahomes was at the position than any before or after.
Love him too, but lets have some perspective here.  All of the QB who played baseball looked like this.  Marino, Elway, Steve Young, Favre (young farve), and likely Cunningham and Vick all had some level of Mahomes.  Hell, Kyler Murray before he got hurt last year looked like another version of this.

To me, he is Dan Marino with legs.  Some of his throws only Marino could do.

Here's another resource. LINK

I think if it gets close to the point where he might go and you want him, you'll probably have to take him because he won't make it back to you next pick. I'd be surprised if he fell to WR25. Fantasy Calculator is the outlier. Every place else has him WR 19-21.
Thanks 

The calc is nice but it's also entirely based on the people that do the mocks. So half the people quit after 2-3 rounds and then players get slotted in by the CPU. Have to use it like any other tool and understand it's limitations. 
the new (or renewed if i missed it before this season) offering by FBGs to make FFPC adp's available is a great feature for subscribers (well deserved plug here) . no more wondering if adp's are skewed in mocks vs real live drafts.

Allow me to say that as a pure quarterback, if Mahomes does this for ten years, he'll be better in my book than Brady. 

Brady is such a great player, but the things Mahomes does are just on another level entirely. Flame away. 

That's not to take too much away from Brady. His nearest contemporary competition, Manning, won one because of his defense, too. 

Allow me to say that as a pure quarterback, if Mahomes does this for ten years, he'll be better in my book than Brady. 

Brady is such a great player, but the things Mahomes does are just on another level entirely. Flame away. 

That's not to take too much away from Brady. His nearest contemporary competition, Manning, won one because of his defense, too. 
It is all within the context of what the judging criteria is. Nobody can argue that Brady is not more accomplished. But better?….criteria needs to be defined of how you are comparing. Although the Buc’s roster is full of talent, where were they without Brady? To me it was incredible watching him in a goofed up off-season come in and lead that team to a Super Bowl victory. Definitely an underrated achievement that he doesn’t get enough credit for because we are just so used to him doing it. Before we wondered if it was Bill or Tom doing it in NE, although definitely a combination of the two but Tom is the g.o.a.t. for now IMO. Mahomes has a chance but he has to be lucky with health and string many successful seasons together before we have that discussion.

It is all within the context of what the judging criteria is. 

Mahomes has a chance but he has to be lucky with health and string many successful seasons together before we have that discussion.
I agree with both of these points. For me, I don't take the seven Super Bowls as anything but evidence of greatness, not as proof of greatness in them of themselves. 

If that makes sense. 

Mahomes needs to play about ten years and get to about four more SBs to be mentioned with Brady, and I see him doing that. If he wins two of those, I think he merits comparison. But it's like Tiger Woods and majors -- we have no idea when he'll fall off the cliff. Remember when Tiger was a lock to catch Nicklaus and the question was how much he'd pass Nicklaus by? Those seem like heady days. 

I agree with both of these points. For me, I don't take the seven Super Bowls as anything but evidence of greatness, not as proof of greatness in them of themselves. 

If that makes sense. 

Mahomes needs to play about ten years and get to about four more SBs to be mentioned with Brady, and I see him doing that. If he wins two of those, I think he merits comparison. But it's like Tiger Woods and majors -- we have no idea when he'll fall off the cliff. Remember when Tiger was a lock to catch Nicklaus and the question was how much he'd pass Nicklaus by? Those seem like heady days. 
May be easier said than done. Some really good teams on that side of the fence (Bills, Ravens, Browns, Titans…) Time will tell, hope he plays ten more years as it is a treat to watch what he does on the field. 

May be easier said than done. Some really good teams on that side of the fence (Bills, Ravens, Browns, Titans…) Time will tell, hope he plays ten more years as it is a treat to watch what he does on the field. 
Oh, that's why I talked about Tiger Woods. There's so much competition that what seems like a foregone conclusion is anything but. He might not ever make one again. 

I feel like we've been robbed a bit by the lack of a true dress rehearsal game this preseason. it feels so odd that we really haven't see some guys play at all and that the entire preseason has been nothing but 1s on offense vs 2s on defense. 

What I've learned from week 3, is that the Lions are going to be bad, possibly historically bad. Through 2 weeks, the same can be said about Atl. 

Jets are going to be really good offensively, they have some weapons  that will lead to many , many fantasy pts across the board. C. Davis has value, Wilson is going to possibly be what Herbert was last season. Are they saving M. Carter for the real games?  They're going to be average defensively, so this offense is going to need to score.a lot. 

Week 3 has also shown me that Kylin Hill  is going to be a threat to AJ Dillon supposed backup role. Hill has now blasted thru the Jets and Bills defenses with ease the past two weeks. pumping the brakes hard on the notion that Dillon might be a league winning handcuff. I'm not sure that they wouldn't implement a timeshare with Hill and Dillon. 

JK Dobbins  - left knee - helped the field.

Carted from the tent to the locker room.

Justice Hill would be my guess. But I think Gus could easily hit 200 carries if its a season ender for Dobbins.
what happened last year with Hill? They weren't too thrilled with his 3.9 ypc rookie year. He was barely active. I don't think it's Hill dude.

Watching every Bears preseason game, I think its pretty clear that Damian Williams was clearly a product of being on the Chiefs offense. I'd be shocked if he was any threat to Montgomery's carries, and could very much see Khalil Herbert moving ahead of him on the depth chart. If Cohen were healthy, I'd almost wonder if Williams might not make the team.

Jets are going to be really good offensively, they have some weapons  that will lead to many , many fantasy pts across the board. C. Davis has value, Wilson is going to possibly be what Herbert was last season. Are they saving M. Carter for the real games?  They're going to be average defensively, so this offense is going to need to score.a lot. 

I doubt Carter see a lot of carries until a bit later in the season.  I bet Coleman starts, but it will be RBBC for awile.

Watching every Bears preseason game, I think its pretty clear that Damian Williams was clearly a product of being on the Chiefs offense. I'd be shocked if he was any threat to Montgomery's carries, and could very much see Khalil Herbert moving ahead of him on the depth chart. If Cohen were healthy, I'd almost wonder if Williams might not make the team.

Bummer, I took him as the last pick of the draft to back up Montgomery.  Oh well.

Texans observations:

- IDP watchers - Omenihu & Martin - they look like the only two decent players out there trying. Hope that’s preseason, but LBs and DBs nowhere to be seen. Omenihu I’m particular has been playing with hair on fire. Martin could finally become what they hoped he be from the Clowney trade as he’s getting sacks

- RB is going to be by committee - Almost certain Burkhead is odd man out. Ingram looks good. Lindsay is still finding his rhythm in this offense. Third preseason game is the first one David Johnson looks like he cares. But he still looks like the DJ that was meh last year. 

- Collins looks pretty good, but WRs are definitely taking a backseat in the offense Culley wants. I know Cooks almost always hits 1,000 yards but this year it might be schematic. I’d fade Texans WRs including Cooks. TE will not do anything, so don’t get cute thinking Akins is anything. 

- Mills looks overwhelmed. He looks like a rookie, but not like he’s on any level like the other rookies. The Texans will be picking first next year unless there’s some miracle and they’ll be picking a QB. Mills isn’t it and isn’t a threat. Fade him in dynasty for sure unless Taylor gets hurt and he magically figures it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread