What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff pay per view? No effing way (1 Viewer)

Honestly it's even more of a kick in the pants to people who paid for Sunday Ticket
Yes, I said something about this on the Peacock game a few weeks ago but I've had the Ticket for 24 years and one of the things I always liked about was the realization that I'd never miss a game I wanted to watch. This will now be the third game this year that does not apply. So basically the cost of the ticket keeps increasing while the value decreases.

This is why I won't pay for this game even if it's $6 and basically the price of renting a movie. Principle.

I do this a lot already so not big deal to me but I believe the game will re-air at 11:30 PM CST on NFLN. I'm just going to turn off my phone, stay off the internet and tune in at 11:30 not knowing a thing.
They are quite literally "banking" on most people viewing it that way, "It's just $6, I'll just do it and cancel". Until next season when you need to do it twice, and the following year three times, etc. And I'm quite sure Peacock is banking on the fact people are busy and forgetful, and many sign up to watch this game and forget they did. Autopay and paperless billing will net them a few more months of revenue before people finally remember to cancel. It's all predatory and disgusts me.
That, and frankly, peacock for $6/month is not a bad deal. Better than just about any other streaming service.
Sounds like blind pessimism, but looking at the trends of the other streaming services, I'm comfortable predicting that price will rise. They are one of the newer kids on the block and are building a userbase. Disney plus went from $80 a year to (I believe) $140 a year over the course of about 18 months. YouTube TV saw similar price hikes. Cord cutting initially was a cost saver, but in another year or two comparable combinations of streaming packages to get the same programming will be just as expensive, if not more so. And this definitely IS blind pessimism, but I swear the commercials are more frequent than cable ever was, and so damn repetitive I want to scream lol. It's like the same 3 every break for months. I could ramble off the full litany of side effects for Jardiance right now for you from watching the Office to fall asleep every night. Like did you know taking it could cause a potentially life threatening necrotizing fasciitis in my perineum? (that's a flesh eating infection on your taint btw) Just something lovely to visualize while eating your dinner tonight haha. But yeah for now, Peacock isn't terribly priced for the base plan, hence why it's one of the few I still have.
The only advantage i remember for direct tv was the ability to fast forward.

Honestly it's even more of a kick in the pants to people who paid for Sunday Ticket
Yes, I said something about this on the Peacock game a few weeks ago but I've had the Ticket for 24 years and one of the things I always liked about was the realization that I'd never miss a game I wanted to watch. This will now be the third game this year that does not apply. So basically the cost of the ticket keeps increasing while the value decreases.

This is why I won't pay for this game even if it's $6 and basically the price of renting a movie. Principle.

I do this a lot already so not big deal to me but I believe the game will re-air at 11:30 PM CST on NFLN. I'm just going to turn off my phone, stay off the internet and tune in at 11:30 not knowing a thing.
They are quite literally "banking" on most people viewing it that way, "It's just $6, I'll just do it and cancel". Until next season when you need to do it twice, and the following year three times, etc. And I'm quite sure Peacock is banking on the fact people are busy and forgetful, and many sign up to watch this game and forget they did. Autopay and paperless billing will net them a few more months of revenue before people finally remember to cancel. It's all predatory and disgusts me.
That, and frankly, peacock for $6/month is not a bad deal. Better than just about any other streaming service.
Sounds like blind pessimism, but looking at the trends of the other streaming services, I'm comfortable predicting that price will rise. They are one of the newer kids on the block and are building a userbase. Disney plus went from $80 a year to (I believe) $140 a year over the course of about 18 months. YouTube TV saw similar price hikes. Cord cutting initially was a cost saver, but in another year or two comparable combinations of streaming packages to get the same programming will be just as expensive, if not more so. And this definitely IS blind pessimism, but I swear the commercials are more frequent than cable ever was, and so damn repetitive I want to scream lol. It's like the same 3 every break for months. I could ramble off the full litany of side effects for Jardiance right now for you from watching the Office to fall asleep every night. Like did you know taking it could cause a potentially life threatening necrotizing fasciitis in my perineum? (that's a flesh eating infection on your taint btw) Just something lovely to visualize while eating your dinner tonight haha. But yeah for now, Peacock isn't terribly priced for the base plan, hence why it's one of the few I still have.
You can fast forward time? That's actually a nice feature. Ha ha

Now, if I could turn back time. I could find a way. I’d take back those words that have hurt you And you'd stay

I won't be watching. Like, it's one thing for Amazon to put games on streaming because they don't own any broadcast channels. It's a completely different thing for NBC to not put this on NBC to try and force people to get Peacock.

I hope this is a colossal failure. If this is a success, it's only a matter of time before we need 7 different streaming apps to watch games. I'd like to avoid that dystopia.
I was trying to put my finger on why the peacock $6 subscription irked me so much and I think you nailed it. They already have a channel!
I'm planning to spend more $ at a Buffalo wild wings or something if the fins are in that game (and maybe anyway). I already pay for yttv, Sunday ticket, prime (but I would pay for that regardless of football). I don't really want to be part of a subscription bump they get from this. But at the same time, it is $6.

I remember when streaming was getting popular and a lot of people were excited about how much cheaper it would be than cable. You could just get the things you want! Surprise! The big guys adopted it and figured out how to extract more money from this system.

I swear the commercials are more frequent than cable ever was, and so damn repetitive I want to scream lol
Not to get off subject but few times I've wanted to start a thread over this but I feel like someone should be investigating how the NFL Network's add revenue seems to be primarily funded by government paid PSA announcements and if maybe some of these entities might need their budgets re-examined.

In football season I generally keep NFL Network on while I work and in particular the adds about adopting a teen, veterans dealing with depression and absolutely positively the Dadication one are off the charts in their frequency. And oh, also the super annoying one about the guy who tells me he's just a paid actor and has 12 seconds to tell me not to get high and drive. Not knocking the causes, but I got those messages a good 1,000 plus commercials ago.

and $11 next year, $19 then and who knows what thereafter?

I already have a Peacock subscription so this doesn't effect me as much. But even if one considers it affordable, it's the principle behind it that sucks. I was already irked by all the Thursday night games being Prime exclusives (despite also having a Prime subscription), and then the Peacock exclusive for the Bills/Chargers game on top of that. We're already seeing MLB regular season games get paywalled by Apple TV+, and now this. Doing it for the playoffs is terrible. It should be easier to have access for a playoff game, not harder. It may not matter in the long run but I hope this experiment flops.

Now, if I could turn back time. I could find a way. I’d take back those words that have hurt you And you'd stay
It's kinda creepy that without even looking I knew u were quoting a Cher song. Smh

I already have a Peacock subscription so this doesn't effect me as much. But even if one considers it affordable, it's the principle behind it that sucks. I was already irked by all the Thursday night games being Prime exclusives (despite also having a Prime subscription), and then the Peacock exclusive for the Bills/Chargers game on top of that. We're already seeing MLB regular season games get paywalled by Apple TV+, and now this. Doing it for the playoffs is terrible. It should be easier to have access for a playoff game, not harder. It may not matter in the long run but I hope this experiment flops.

Yeah it becomes a convenience thing too not knowing where a given game is being shown. We have Peacock for Euro soccer, but half the time the games are on Peacock/Paramount and the other half only on the USA Network. It's really annoying having to lookup where the game is being shown.

Yeah it becomes a convenience thing too not knowing where a given game is being shown. We have Peacock for Euro soccer, but half the time the games are on Peacock/Paramount and the other half only on the USA Network. It's really annoying having to lookup where the game is being shown.
I'm with you. I have Peacock for WWE events (which is a bargain compared to the old PPV model) so it's a non-issue this time. But I would not subscribe to a service on pure principle, even for $1

I swear the commercials are more frequent than cable ever was, and so damn repetitive I want to scream lol
Not to get off subject but few times I've wanted to start a thread over this but I feel like someone should be investigating how the NFL Network's add revenue seems to be primarily funded by government paid PSA announcements and if maybe some of these entities might need their budgets re-examined.

In football season I generally keep NFL Network on while I work and in particular the adds about adopting a teen, veterans dealing with depression and absolutely positively the Dadication one are off the charts in their frequency. And oh, also the super annoying one about the guy who tells me he's just a paid actor and has 12 seconds to tell me not to get high and drive. Not knocking the causes, but I got those messages a good 1,000 plus commercials ago.
gov't spends millions on US military ads and flag waiving and fly overs at games. need recruits I guess. it's kind of why I don't do nat'l anthem stuff at games , not anti American I just don't need to have my hand on my heart when I go to a BMX race at my local track 2x/week. I once was at a beer tent at the NJ state fair in Sussex, and at noon, the nat'l anthem started playing we were all like where TF is that coming from.then we realized it was from the dirt oval track next to the beer tent, for the start of riding lawn mower races. still SMH about that one.

I currently have fre Peacock but the menu sucks imo..... 50/50 if I watch ..... pending on teams.... But I wouldn't pay for it. I don't think I have any current services right now that weren't included in something

Yeah it becomes a convenience thing too not knowing where a given game is being shown.
That’s the key. I still don’t know whether I’m able to watch most games.
I had to listen to the radio to catch the Alabama Michigan game, I suspect it will be the same for many NFL playoff games.

I did find it interesting that they are putting the primetime game on Peacock and the afternoon one on NBC. Saturday afternoon is by far the worst timeslot, and I would have figured they would put the Peacock game there as an experiment. If they end up with a headline team like Dallas, Philly, or KC, there could be a much bigger backlash
They will.

As a matter of fact, I would almost bet $100 the Chiefs will be in that spot. They are probably one and done in this playoffs, so may as well try it out on them.
How many times have you been right with this strategy?
I’ve already lost my house and I believe my LEFT nut.

The way I see it is this is no different than cable companies mysteriously increasing your cable bill $2 a month every three or four months. This has been going on for YEARS. And anyone with cable has been dealing with this literally for the last 25 years.

I quit streaming about 4 years ago. My bill now STILL with streaming is about $30-40 a month cheaper than when I had cable. Depending on what I have chosen to stream at the time. And I'll add the Peacock app for a month to get this game.

Why? Because to me people that complain about "its the principle" is failing to understand that the consumer now has control of all of this instead of a cable company that can basically do whatever THEY want. Not what YOU want.

You want this game for free but are willing to bend over and just take that cable cost raise every few months for no reason? Be my guest - because you are gonna pay for this one way or the other.

I can easily cancel another app I'm not using for a month to offset that cost. Give me that control all day every day. And guess what? I have access to WAY MORE stuff than I ever had as a cable company and I'm STILL saving money.

I think I'm already subscribed to Peacock for some show my wife wanted to watch. I'm inclined to cancel the subscription over this and watch the game elsewhere. A drop in the bucket but every little bit helps I suppose.
I love the idea of canceling Peacock if you have it already, just for the NFL doing this.

-I think I watched a little bit of almost every game throughout the season except for one and I think it was a Bills game a few weeks back on Peacock and I took a pass on that game.
I didn't want to sign up for another streaming service

The way I see it is this is no different than cable companies mysteriously increasing your cable bill $2 a month every three or four months. This has been going on for YEARS. And anyone with cable has been dealing with this literally for the last 25 years.

I quit streaming about 4 years ago. My bill now STILL with streaming is about $30-40 a month cheaper than when I had cable. Depending on what I have chosen to stream at the time. And I'll add the Peacock app for a month to get this game.

Why? Because to me people that complain about "its the principle" is failing to understand that the consumer now has control of all of this instead of a cable company that can basically do whatever THEY want. Not what YOU want.

You want this game for free but are willing to bend over and just take that cable cost raise every few months for no reason? Be my guest - because you are gonna pay for this one way or the other.

I can easily cancel another app I'm not using for a month to offset that cost. Give me that control all day every day. And guess what? I have access to WAY MORE stuff than I ever had as a cable company and I'm STILL saving money.
I'm a cable guy and I don't disagree with this my biggest problem and it's just a me thing is I can't stand flipping in and out of apps and all that stuff. I'm just a old school flipper and bouncing it out of the apps annoys the s*** out of me. Plus currently I'd have to buy hardware for the 4 TVs in my house that are all hooked up to boxes right now

We have Peacock for Euro soccer, but half the time the games are on Peacock/Paramount and the other half only on the USA Network
And the joy of going to ESPN + to watch the FA Cup.
Yeah, I got Peacock ($2/mo) to watch PL games (legally) occasionally and then yesterday I looked there and YTTV for the Spurs FA game and couldn't find it. Almost gave up but then found out it was on ESPN+. Glad I hadn't cancelled that yet.

it's just a me thing is I can't stand flipping in and out of apps and all that stuff. I'm just a old school flipper and bouncing it out of the apps annoys the s*** out of me.
This is me also. I’ve gotten used to it. Xfinity can suck it
Well I have to keep them to stick with the high speed internet since it's my only option so might as well just give them all my money lol

We have Peacock for Euro soccer, but half the time the games are on Peacock/Paramount and the other half only on the USA Network
And the joy of going to ESPN + to watch the FA Cup.
Yeah, I got Peacock ($2/mo) to watch PL games (legally) occasionally and then yesterday I looked there and YTTV for the Spurs FA game and couldn't find it. Almost gave up but then found out it was on ESPN+. Glad I hadn't cancelled that yet.
Porro with the screamer!! 👋

gov't spends millions on US military ads and flag waiving and fly overs at games. need recruits I guess. it's kind of why I don't do nat'l anthem stuff at games , not anti American I just don't need to have my hand on my heart when I go to a BMX race at my local track 2x/week. I once was at a beer tent at the NJ state fair in Sussex, and at noon, the nat'l anthem started playing we were all like where TF is that coming from.then we realized it was from the dirt oval track next to the beer tent, for the start of riding lawn mower races. still SMH about that one.

Wait, we didn’t spend $50M for a flyover at the riding mower races??

I mean, it's not "pay per view."

That being said the only reason to keep cable in the past was if you like to flip around (me) or you're a sports nut (me). If more and more of our sports content ends up on these streaming platforms cable will cease to exist.

I mean, it's not "pay per view."

That being said the only reason to keep cable in the past was if you like to flip around (me) or you're a sports nut (me). If more and more of our sports content ends up on these streaming platforms cable will cease to exist.
Maybe but I think most of the current streaming services have yet to figure out how to actually make money. Their goals have been just get subscribers and figure it out later. There are talks of several of them merging which could ultimately end up being sort of like cable again.

I bought a month of Peacock to watch Purdue games in January cuz the Big 10 is doing the same thing. My biggest complaint is how sucky the app is. I’ve gotten into the habit of watching live sports on YouTube TV a bit later than they start so I can FF through commercials. In my limited experience with Peacock, it seems like they treat it like VOD. I watched the Purdue/Maryland game later in the day and you could only FF the game, not the commercials. Even then the controls weren’t that responsive.

I stopped watching TNF for a similar reason even though I already have Prime. Although not as bad as Peacock, the Prime controls watching live sports are really janky IMO.

The over saturation of apps and fragmentation of content is a big turn off to me personally from a convenience perspective. And if I can’t control the content I’m paying for the way I want it’s really not worth my time no matter the cost. I just have better things I could be doing. The nice thing is that I can cancel.

There are talks of several of them merging which could ultimately end up being sort of like cable again.
Only way to stream Showtime (starting Monday I think) is to subscribe to "Paramount+ with Showtime" which I did sometime back at a nicely discounted rate.

There are talks of several of them merging which could ultimately end up being sort of like cable again.
Only way to stream Showtime (starting Monday I think) is to subscribe to "Paramount+ with Showtime" which I did sometime back at a nicely discounted rate.
Comcast lost $3B on Peacock last year. There are merger talks now that would tie Paramount + and (HBO) Max together. Disney already owns Hulu and is going to merge it in with Disney+ soon. That will leave those 2 services and Netflix as the 2 major players and would leave Peacock likely just sold for parts. Of course when these streamers merge, prices are going to increase significantly. It's only a matter of time before we get more bundles as well. IMO, we are just working our way back to cable.

Comcast lost $3B on Peacock last year. There are merger talks now that would tie Paramount + and (HBO) Max together. Disney already owns Hulu and is going to merge it in with Disney+ soon. That will leave those 2 services and Netflix as the 2 major players and would leave Peacock likely just sold for parts. Of course when these streamers merge, prices are going to increase significantly. It's only a matter of time before we get more bundles as well. IMO, we are just working our way back to cable.
Paramount/Showtime/Max would be pretty good, but I'd have to imagine $$ since Par/Showtime is $12/mo and Max is $16/mo (less with ads). I currently have the Hulu/Disney/Espn bundle but not for much longer. Very little I want to watch on Hulu and once I finish Loki2 I'm done with it. Only got Peacock since it was $2/mo but when that ends it's gone too. Mainly watch stuff that's free there anyway (PFT/DP show). Seems this is their answer to people jumping from one service to another when new series or new seasons of a series releases. Figure that will also stop the binge dump of all episodes at once as well. Gotta keep people locked in longer.

Paramount/Showtime/Max would a wonderful merger. Prolly be 30 bucks a month but I could see with the weight they bring it would be worth it. Right out of the gate I could watch Dexter again.

Peacock is garbage. I only got it because my wife wanted to watch Yellowstone. Once we rolled through that I dont think I've watched anything else. Wait. I watched the Milli Vamilli documentary. Ha ha

Paramount/Showtime/Max would a wonderful merger. Prolly be 30 bucks a month but I could see with the weight they bring it would be worth it. Right out of the gate I could watch Dexter again.

Peacock is garbage. I only got it because my wife wanted to watch Yellowstone. Once we rolled through that I dont think I've watched anything else. Wait. I watched the Milli Vamilli documentary. Ha ha
My only one concern with that merger is the size of the movie library that would get pulled into 1 entity. While on one hand, that's nice because in theory that means a massive library of over 100 years of movies could be available for one price. On the other hand, it also means that if a corporate board felt it was more profitable that whole library could get locked away.

I don't disagree with OP but I'm not like stand on principals type either so...buff streams

Good point. If we have full access to that one library that would be nice. In the end, this merger could have 5 tiers where u have to be gold platinum to watch Forest Gump. Then have to be diamond platinum to watch Platoon. Then be diamond platinum plus to have no commercials. Smh

I already have it because of their early round golf coverage. I can definitely see how people would be annoyed though.

I agree. It's like people think the NFL owes us "free" games.

This is the future. I can see a total pay model at some point down the road. If so, I'll be paying just like the overwhelmingly vast majority of NFL fans. Maybe a few boomers (which I am) will hold firm, but the NFL machine will roll on.

Last edited:

This is the likely future. I can see a total pay model at some point down the road. If so, I'll be paying just like the overwhelmingly vast majority of NFL fans. Maybe a few boomers will hold firm, but the NFL machine will roll on.
I personally don't think the NFL owes me free games. It should be that if I buy a car (cable), the car comes ready to drive. I shouldnt have to buy the car (cable), the tires (Amazon prime), the windshield (ESPN plus), the battery (peacock). All my opinion of course.

That said, I think this is a very short-sighted decision. If the NFL goes the way of boxing, with increasingly amounts of a la carte programming, they will chase away fans and become less relevant
Exactly. Boxing would often eclipse the big three. Does anyone watch it anymore?

I've had Peacock for years due to soccer and rugby. I'm mostly satisfied but one negative as others have mentioned is you can't watch an event delayed and skip through commercial breaks. I get it of course, but that was something we kind of got used to over the past 20 or so years of different cable/recording devices. Peacock is obviously not alone on this as I have multiple streaming services and none of them make it easy to watch a game on delay like we used to have with our cable packages.

One other thing to note is that this game will be available on regular NBC in the home markets for the two participating teams. Perhaps a small concession but if anything it shows they know this is going to piss a ton of people off so they're easing us into it. Those of us who regularly watch euro-based soccer and rugby are well-acquainted with having to subscribe to multiple different outlets to cover a sport and then try to keep everything sorted or do the game-day scramble at kickoff trying to find the game across multiple platforms.

That said, I think this is a very short-sighted decision. If the NFL goes the way of boxing, with increasingly amounts of a la carte programming, they will chase away fans and become less relevant
Exactly. Boxing would often eclipse the big three. Does anyone watch it anymore?
Nope. When Tyson lost to Buster it broke my heart. Then UFC started to rise. Last boxing pay per view I got was Tyson vs Holyfield.

One other thing to note is that this game will be available on regular NBC in the home markets for the two participating teams. Perhaps a small concession but if anything it shows they know this is going to piss a ton of people off so they're easing us into it.
I forget the exact reason (part of the antitrust exemption?) but I'm pretty sure they are required to do this. It's not a concession.

This is the likely future. I can see a total pay model at some point down the road. If so, I'll be paying just like the overwhelmingly vast majority of NFL fans. Maybe a few boomers will hold firm, but the NFL machine will roll on.
I personally don't think the NFL owes me free games. It should be that if I buy a car (cable), the car comes ready to drive. I shouldnt have to buy the car (cable), the tires (Amazon prime), the windshield (ESPN plus), the battery (peacock). All my opinion of course.

One thing to consider is what if you lived in New York and were committed to pay $850mil in tax revenue to build a new Bills stadium for their billionaire owner? In that case, I would think the minimum expectation is that the games will all be broadcast over the air throughout the area where the tax applies.

I've always had Peacock for free (I think it comes w/ my internet service now), they seem to bundle it as a free add-on to a bunch of stuff, but I do see the slippery slope danger here, and like every streaming service I'm sure they'll aggressively raise prices once they have a userbase.

That said, with ESPN potentially releasing a streaming network soon if all the games are on streaming networks while that's annoying, it could eliminate the largest streaming cost (Youtube TV as a replacement for cable). I only keep YTTV at this point for sports and it costs more alone than all the other streaming services combined.

Users who are viewing this thread