What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pizza Bagels, Genius! (1 Viewer)

I'm not saying they would or would not pick a WR, I think it would take extreme value to do it in early rounds, but one way or another I just don't think Justin Hunter impacts any decision making. I would think Hunter is borderline to make the team.
If Bryant is reinstated and Coates is healed, I can't imagine there'd be any room for a rookie receiver unless they plan to cut or deactivate either Heyward-Bey, Coates, or Rogers.  That's not even counting Hunter.  I feel like unless they want to try to upgrade the slot position that any receiver they'd have drafted would have been a size/speed guy to replace what Bryant brings to the offense in case he's unavailable again.  Hunter fits that bill without the draft pick.  He has his flaws, sure, but he's young, long, and fast.  They probably felt he can replicate much of what they'd be using a draft pick to obtain, but he comes at less of a cost and has NFL experience.  Just one guy's opinion.

I dunno.  I think I'm the only Steeler fan that feels confident with the current WR corps going into this coming season.

Martavis insurance.  Tough to see Hunter, Coates, Bryant, and Heyward-Bey all on the game day roster this year.  One of those guys is probably going to be cut/deactivated as they tend to carry 5 and Brown (obviously) and Rogers are probably dressing every Sunday.
And also maybe trying to light a fire under Coates

If Bryant is reinstated and Coates is healed, I can't imagine there'd be any room for a rookie receiver unless they plan to cut or deactivate either Heyward-Bey, Coates, or Rogers.  That's not even counting Hunter.  I feel like unless they want to try to upgrade the slot position that any receiver they'd have drafted would have been a size/speed guy to replace what Bryant brings to the offense in case he's unavailable again.  Hunter fits that bill without the draft pick.  He has his flaws, sure, but he's young, long, and fast.  They probably felt he can replicate much of what they'd be using a draft pick to obtain, but he comes at less of a cost and has NFL experience.  Just one guy's opinion.
Agreed.  They have question marks at WR but tons of depth and this solidifies it.   They have too many other needs elsewhere to grab a WR in the draft unless an incredible talent drops to them. 

Copeman said:
I dunno.  I think I'm the only Steeler fan that feels confident with the current WR corps going into this coming season.
You're not.  I'll go one step further and say I'm fine with the TE corps as well.  I wouldn't spend a (decent) draft pick on either spot unless there was undeniable value (read : a future star dropping lower than he should.)  Pass rush (someone who can help immediately), CB/S (someone who can help this season in a spot role), ILB (someone who can rotate in this year and/or help next year), DL depth, OL depth, backup RB, developmental QB (maybe - only if there's value and projection) in that order is my draft wish list.

JoeSteeler said:
And also maybe trying to light a fire under Coates
There's something odd going on with Coates.  All the reports were that his hand was absolutely mangled, but yet the organization seems like they're pissed at/disappointed in him for some reason.  There has to be more to this than meets the eye.  He HAD to have been dogging his rehab or something if the injury was as bad as it's been made out to be.

Also, shocking absolutely no-one, Hightower has re-signed with New England.  I'm sure the Steelers visit was a "move" by his agent(s.)  Not sure who they are, but if we know it, the Steelers do too.  I can't imagine they're going to be as receptive to future visits from clients of whoever the agent is.

Also, shocking absolutely no-one, Hightower has re-signed with New England.  I'm sure the Steelers visit was a "move" by his agent(s.)  Not sure who they are, but if we know it, the Steelers do too.  I can't imagine they're going to be as receptive to future visits from clients of whoever the agent is.
Pretty sure that most agents will do whatever they can to get more money for their client.  See, player who used Steelers' fax machine to accept contract from GB...

And yeah, Justin Hunter is insurance. He may or may not make the team, but provides another vet to compete. If a good WR falls to us in the draft I doubt they pass on them.  That said, if Bryant is reinstated there's not a large need at the position.  But there could definitely be an upgrade.

The best WRs on our team are Brown and Bryant (obviously), anyone else is replaceable.

Pretty sure that most agents will do whatever they can to get more money for their client.  See, player who used Steelers' fax machine to accept contract from GB...
Sure they will.  But if the Steelers sensed (and based on the "ultimatum," they likely did) that this was nothing more than a dog and pony show to drive up the Pats' offer and that the player likely never intended to sign, they may be more reluctant to host FAs in the future from that agency.  I know I would be.

There's something odd going on with Coates.  All the reports were that his hand was absolutely mangled, but yet the organization seems like they're pissed at/disappointed in him for some reason.  There has to be more to this than meets the eye.  He HAD to have been dogging his rehab or something if the injury was as bad as it's been made out to be.
Agree. Not that you don't know already but when you take it step by step it is odd an does make me think it's something behind the scenes.

Weeks 1-4: makes a 40+ yard play in every game, kind of ideal thing you are looking for to take heat off Brown. On just 20 targets he has 282 yards, putting him on pace for over 1100 yards on just 80 targets.

Week 5:  drops at least two TD's and still goes nuts and throws  5th straight game with 40+ yards. At this point he's got 19 catches, 421 yards, 2 TD's and on on just 31 targets. That's puts him on pace for 99 targets, 61 catches, 1347 yards, 6 TD's and about 19 plays of 40+ yards.  This was of course week he jacked his hand up and did nothing else the rest of the way.

Now we know his hand was so mangled he required an off-season proedure and on top of that played through groin pain that required surgery. Also read another beat writer who said his knee was bothering him.

So we got a guy whose arrow is pointing up, who appears to have been derailed by multiple key injuries but the only vibe I'm getting from Steelers beat writers is even with Martavis possibly returning that WR is one of teams bigger needs because Coates and Martavis can't be counted on.

Revis wants to come play for the Steelers- would you guys want him at vet minimum contract?
To do what? He's terrible at this point and a major liability. if he can play Safety maybe but Cooks and Edelman will destroy him if he lines up across from them and that's who you need to beat to get to the SB. As a CB, he is useless now.

To do what? He's terrible at this point and a major liability. if he can play Safety maybe but Cooks and Edelman will destroy him if he lines up across from them and that's who you need to beat to get to the SB. As a CB, he is useless now.
This may be the case, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he has a bit of a bounce back. Obviously not to what he once was, but maybe he could be a 5th corner or deep roaming safety in sub packages. If he can do these things, he could be worth rostering. If he signs for the vet minimum with no guaranteed $, there's really no downside to bringing him in. If he sucks or adversely affects the locker room, just give him the LaGarrette Blount treatment. Especially if Cockrell goes elsewhere in RFA, it's not like he'd be gobbling up a roster spot that would otherwise go to a promising young talent. The cupboard is pretty bare in the secondary. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, he couldn't take the one-one match-ups against the Pats (and other teams) -- but there is no way he gets fooled but flipping Hogan time and time and time again in a championship game.  Revis was smart + talented.  Drop the talent level sure, but I'd pay him the vet min for his intelligence and knowledge of other teams -  just to have him be a player-coach as a safety/CB hybrid

Apparently the guy has been striving to lose weight and maybe was playing at 220 last year. If he is willing to take a lower salary (even if it's a bit above the vet minimum) and you're willing to be creative in his use I see zero harm.

Apparently the guy has been striving to lose weight and maybe was playing at 220 last year. If he is willing to take a lower salary (even if it's a bit above the vet minimum) and you're willing to be creative in his use I see zero harm.
I see no harm in kicking the tires by signing him to a one-year, non guaranteed contract at or near the league minimum 

Revis will never sign for anything close to vet minimum.  I'd be surprised if he took less than 5 mil.  At 5 mil, pass. At closer to vet min I'd take a shot because worst comes to worst, you cut him.  He could be done athletically, or he could have phoned it in because he was playing on a crap team.  Both things aren't good, but perhaps he could be useful if he's not completely over the hill.

I'd rather we use that money to lock up Bell, Tuitt, Shazier, Villanueva, maybe Cockrell, and Martavis.  If we could sign Martavis to a 4-year, $40 million extension with $5 million guaranteed I'd be extremely happy.  That would lock him up through the 2022 season and if he gets in trouble we're only on the hook for $5 million.  One Steelers offensive coach has described Martavis as "the next Randy Moss".  That's very high praise and I don't think that's over exaggerating.  He needed to put on some weight/muscle which he reportedly has, and he needs to work on his maturity which remains to be seen.

I'd stay away from Revis if I were you guys. The guy has lost his speed and is giving everyone a 10 yard cushion in order not to be beat deep. He started looking bad two years ago  and the excuse was that he couldn't press because of a wrist injury.

He dogged it last year. He gave no effort to tackle. He made even bum receivers look good. Plus he had a list of changing excuses all year long and became hyper sensitive to any critique. The fact that he is willing to move to safety tells you that he realizes he is done at CB. I wouldn't trust him in space, especially if he's not willing to tackle anymore.

Revis will never sign for anything close to vet minimum.  I'd be surprised if he took less than 5 mil.  At 5 mil, pass. At closer to vet min I'd take a shot because worst comes to worst, you cut him.  He could be done athletically, or he could have phoned it in because he was playing on a crap team.  Both things aren't good, but perhaps he could be useful if he's not completely over the hill.

I'd rather we use that money to lock up Bell, Tuitt, Shazier, Villanueva, maybe Cockrell, and Martavis.  If we could sign Martavis to a 4-year, $40 million extension with $5 million guaranteed I'd be extremely happy.  That would lock him up through the 2022 season and if he gets in trouble we're only on the hook for $5 million.  One Steelers offensive coach has described Martavis as "the next Randy Moss".  That's very high praise and I don't think that's over exaggerating.  He needed to put on some weight/muscle which he reportedly has, and he needs to work on his maturity which remains to be seen.
The Jets are paying him $6M this year

I believe Martavis has 2 years left on his deal after being suspended all of last season.  No way he gets any kind of extension this year simply because they won't break precedent, even putting aside all the other issues for the moment.

Evilgrin 72 said:
I believe Martavis has 2 years left on his deal after being suspended all of last season.  No way he gets any kind of extension this year simply because they won't break precedent, even putting aside all the other issues for the moment.
I know he does and I know they won't, it was a dream scenario that we could lock him up for more than he expects/is worth now because his value in the future will be much, much higher.  

Mike Williams ran as slow a 40 as people feared/thought he would. If he falls all the way to 30 are we interested?

Current Mock:

Steelers trade back with team looking to move into 1st to grab a QB at the end of the round (5th year option.  (Cle, SF, Chi, Jets)  Get early 2, 4, and 7.

34.  (From Trade) Takkarist McKinley, OLB - Steelers get who they wanted and a pick.  

62.  Raekwon McMillan, ILB - Steelers lock up their front 7. They replace Timmons with another strong LB from Ohio St that seems to produce them yearly (Shazier).  He's the Brawn to Shazier's speed.

94.  Joe Mixon, RB - I wish.  But really they take - Cameron Sutton, CB - Helps bolster our CB corps. Especially if they think they'll lose Cockrell in FA next year.

105. Sidney Jones, CB - Was a first round pick, then he blew up his Achilles. He might not fall this far, but he could be a steal for a team willing to wait on him.  

109. (From Trade)  Semaje Perine, RB - A very solid backup to Leveon. A bruiser.

135. Chad Hansen, WR - A solid WR to add depth/fight for a roster spot.  This pick assumes the team isn't happy with a Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Hunter, Ayers, Hamilton rotation, or any combination wherein.

173. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE - Add an ok TE who would slot in the mix with Johnson, James, and Green.  This is assuming the Steelers don't count on Green after this year.

213.  Xavier Woods, SS - We run a lot of 5 DB sets now. It would be good to have another SS roaming the back end with the ability to play on the line.

219. (From Trade)  Chad Kelly, QB - A shot in the dark, a lottery ticket, a hope that a late pick QB might eventually be serviceable.  He has tons of potential but is hurt and can be a liability off the field.

248. Joe Mathis, EDGE - Another rusher. I hope we double dip in this draft of talented players. We need at least 1 to work out and Mathis has the potential to be awesome.  He was injured this year right before what many speculated would have been his breakout.  A 7th round pick is a gamble, but I'd want to make sure that he ended up on our team and not risk him reaching UDFA status.  Let's scoop up a 2nd injured but potentially great player.

The draft would net us OLB, ILB, CB, CB, RB, WR, TE, SS, QB, EDGE in that order.  We don't have any o-line backup but with Hubbard and Hawkins we should be ok.  Safety isn't upgraded or addressed in any significant way early in the draft, but the team really likes Davis and Mitchell, so I don't see them making a move early unless they really love some player.

Mike Williams ran as slow a 40 as people feared/thought he would. If he falls all the way to 30 are we interested?
I would have phrased it as he ran a fast enough 40 time to put fears he was to slow to bed and is now locked in as a first round pick. He did what he needed to do, he did not disappoint or under exceed.

I know he does and I know they won't, it was a dream scenario that we could lock him up for more than he expects/is worth now because his value in the future will be much, much higher.  

Current Mock:

Steelers trade back with team looking to move into 1st to grab a QB at the end of the round (5th year option.  (Cle, SF, Chi, Jets)  Get early 2, 4, and 7.

34.  (From Trade) Takkarist McKinley, OLB - Steelers get who they wanted and a pick.  

62.  Raekwon McMillan, ILB - Steelers lock up their front 7. They replace Timmons with another strong LB from Ohio St that seems to produce them yearly (Shazier).  He's the Brawn to Shazier's speed.

94.  Joe Mixon, RB - I wish.  But really they take - Cameron Sutton, CB - Helps bolster our CB corps. Especially if they think they'll lose Cockrell in FA next year.

105. Sidney Jones, CB - Was a first round pick, then he blew up his Achilles. He might not fall this far, but he could be a steal for a team willing to wait on him.  

109. (From Trade)  Semaje Perine, RB - A very solid backup to Leveon. A bruiser.

135. Chad Hansen, WR - A solid WR to add depth/fight for a roster spot.  This pick assumes the team isn't happy with a Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Hunter, Ayers, Hamilton rotation, or any combination wherein.

173. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE - Add an ok TE who would slot in the mix with Johnson, James, and Green.  This is assuming the Steelers don't count on Green after this year.

213.  Xavier Woods, SS - We run a lot of 5 DB sets now. It would be good to have another SS roaming the back end with the ability to play on the line.

219. (From Trade)  Chad Kelly, QB - A shot in the dark, a lottery ticket, a hope that a late pick QB might eventually be serviceable.  He has tons of potential but is hurt and can be a liability off the field.

248. Joe Mathis, EDGE - Another rusher. I hope we double dip in this draft of talented players. We need at least 1 to work out and Mathis has the potential to be awesome.  He was injured this year right before what many speculated would have been his breakout.  A 7th round pick is a gamble, but I'd want to make sure that he ended up on our team and not risk him reaching UDFA status.  Let's scoop up a 2nd injured but potentially great player.

The draft would net us OLB, ILB, CB, CB, RB, WR, TE, SS, QB, EDGE in that order.  We don't have any o-line backup but with Hubbard and Hawkins we should be ok.  Safety isn't upgraded or addressed in any significant way early in the draft, but the team really likes Davis and Mitchell, so I don't see them making a move early unless they really love some player.
Very nice mock and write up!

steelers1080 said:
If we could sign Martavis to a 4-year, $40 million extension with $5 million guaranteed I'd be extremely happy.  That would lock him up through the 2022 season and if he gets in trouble we're only on the hook for $5 million.  One Steelers offensive coach has described Martavis as "the next Randy Moss".  That's very high praise and I don't think that's over exaggerating.  He needed to put on some weight/muscle which he reportedly has, and he needs to work on his maturity which remains to be seen.
Hasn't Martavis' career thus far shown us that he can't and shouldn't be counted on at all to stay clean and be available? I get it, the guy's potential is fantastic -- but he's failed 5 (!) drug tests since entering the NFL less than three years ago IIRC. I'd like nothing more than for him to put down the bong and develop into a Pro Bowler, but I also think that the team is way too smart to count on that happening.

Martavis insurance.  Tough to see Hunter, Coates, Bryant, and Heyward-Bey all on the game day roster this year.  One of those guys is probably going to be cut/deactivated as they tend to carry 5 and Brown (obviously) and Rogers are probably dressing every Sunday.
Pretty much this, except for the DHB part of it.  Look, we all know he's a pretty lousy WR, but he's pretty great on teams.  I don't think he's competing with anyone for his spot just because of that (as crazy as that sounds).  I think Hunter is competing with guys like Hamilton and Coates to be Bryant's caddy.

I really like Hunter at UT, but he's just never had the switch flip.  Worth a dart for the offseason though.  If he can't climb over the Cobi Hamiltons of the world then you jettison and move on.

They probably felt he can replicate much of what they'd be using a draft pick to obtain, but he comes at less of a cost and has NFL experience.
I can easily see that being how they're looking at it, but if an extreme value at WR dropped to them somewhere who they couldn't pass up they could just cut Hunter.

Pretty much this, except for the DHB part of it.  Look, we all know he's a pretty lousy WR, but he's pretty great on teams.  I don't think he's competing with anyone for his spot just because of that (as crazy as that sounds).  I think Hunter is competing with guys like Hamilton and Coates to be Bryant's caddy.

I really like Hunter at UT, but he's just never had the switch flip.  Worth a dart for the offseason though.  If he can't climb over the Cobi Hamiltons of the world then you jettison and move on.

I can easily see that being how they're looking at it, but if an extreme value at WR dropped to them somewhere who they couldn't pass up they could just cut Hunter.
I'm with you on that.  They typically only carry 5 WRs on the 53, so if you ink in Antonio, DHB, and Eli Rogers, that only leaves two spots for Coates, Bryant, and Hunter.  If Coates is healthy and Bryant is reinstated, that means Hunter would seemingly be the odd man out.  If they draft a receiver, now they have 4 guys for 2 spots.

Unless they decide to start carrying 6 WRs on the 53, I don't see them drafting an early-round receiver.  You wouldn't be able to stash him on the practice squad, so then you'd have 4 guys inked in.  If they continue to roster 5, that would require cutting or trading 2 of Coates, Bryant, and Hunter.  Just doesn't feel right to me.  I can easily see Hunter getting cut, but as of right now, I have to feel like they'd want to go into the season with Brown, Hey-Bey, Eli, Coates, and Bryant as their 5 guys with Hunter there as a fall-back plan in case one of Hunter/Coates is unavailable.  They might draft another receiver late as insurance against the scenario in which neither guy is on the field because you could theoretically then stash that late-round pick on the practice squad or cut him, but if they draft Mike Williams, where do you go from there if both Coates and Bryant are ready to go?  It puts them in a really odd spot unless the idea is they can trade surplus during TC.  Otherwise, you pretty much have to cut at least one (if they roster 6, or two if they roster 5) of Bryant, Coates, Hunter, Rogers, or Heyward-Bey, no?

That's all assuming that their opinion on Coates is that he is a "must keep."  I'm beginning to question if that, indeed, is the case.  I doubt Rogers would be considered safe if they drafted a guy on day 2 either.

Hell, they could view Heyward-Bey as fungible for all I know.  He just seems like the type they'd keep around because of the "multi-task/he's cheap" angle.

I generally agree with you though, in that I think signing Hunter was an insurance policy, not only for Bryant, but in case they aren't able to draft a WR.  Occam's Razor would have us interpret that if they were able to draft a WR, regardless of what round they did it, that Hunter is likely the guy who gets cut.

A 4-3 DL is visiting the Steelers, Alualu from Jax.  He was a top 10 pick in 2010, but never lived up to expectations.  Solid, but not good or great player.

Steelers sign Kniles Davis, RB.  Hopefully it's a contract we can easily get out of and he's a camp body.  Not a lot of confidence in him backing up Bell.

EDIT: 1-year deal

I like the Davis signing.  
I hope PIT drafts a RB on top of this. Davis is kind of a bum and there's no guarantee Bell signs long term... likely but until he's signed there's always a chance. RB class is deep so that would offer PIT insurance in case he jumps ship or even gets hurt 

Only other possibility is that they signed him to be a KR/3rd string RB and are planning on releasing Toussaint or putting him back on the PS (if that's even an option, I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of the RFA tender beyond the compensation/matching piece.)

I only know a little about Sensabaugh from my Giants-fan friends but the general consensus is he sucks.  Depth/slot corner.

Users who are viewing this thread