What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning’s image built on lies (1 Viewer)

And I am sorry but calling this sexual assault seems to be an inflammatory stretch. Bullying seems to be a more honest interpretation. That doesn't make it better, it's really just as bad but it is also more honest and far less sensationalist.
Thank you. And the story is being sensationalized by Manning's haters. The woman wasn't tied down. If he really did drop his shorts and do this, it would have gone about half a second before she ducked or turned away. The 'rubbed his butthole across my face' stuff is pure nonsense.
I still think he's a bullying jerk who should have been suspended at the time, and the way the university is reported to have responded is shameful and should have carried punishment as well but the notion of this rising to criminal behavior on Manning's part deserving of charges that carry jail time seems disproportionate.

Sadly the new reality is that people like to keep their pitchforks permanently sharpened.
agree here. Anyone calling for Jail time is being silly. It's likely brought up now because it was more common back then, but if something like this happened in current times it would be a much bigger deal. That doesn't change that what he did was wrong and should be talked about though.... nothing wrong with starting this thread and who started it is irrelevant.

But its not a book or a movie, it's nfl royalty being exposed for the scumbag human beings they really are.
Do you think people are permanently locked into being the person they were at 19? Any room for growth or change in your world?

Still boils down do a bunch of Pat fans who had their feelings hurt the last year. What he's being accused of is typical young adult college crap. He didn't rub his butt in her face but he probably did moon her. Nothing to get all bent out of shape over, but Pats fans will do this because 2015 didn't go like they wanted it to so they go after their long time nemesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I am sorry but calling this sexual assault seems to be an inflammatory stretch. Bullying seems to be a more honest interpretation. That doesn't make it better, it's really just as bad but it is also more honest and far less sensationalist.
Thank you. And the story is being sensationalized by Manning's haters. The woman wasn't tied down. If he really did drop his shorts and do this, it would have gone about half a second before she ducked or turned away. The 'rubbed his butthole across my face' stuff is pure nonsense.
I still think he's a bullying jerk who should have been suspended at the time, and the way the university is reported to have responded is shameful and should have carried punishment as well but the notion of this rising to criminal behavior on Manning's part deserving of charges that carry jail time seems disproportionate.Sadly the new reality is that people like to keep their pitchforks permanently sharpened.
Agreed

But its not a book or a movie, it's nfl royalty being exposed for the scumbag human beings they really are.
Do you think people are permanently locked into being the person they were at 19? Any room for growth or change in your world?
Based on the aggressive way he attacked the HGH accuser, fact he kept going on the offensive regarding this girl as late as 2003 and I'm not seeing anything to justify that's he has changed.

Hey guys, protip to keep you out of jail since you guys aren't Peyton Manning. There are very few circumstances when you can sit on a womans face and it not be sexual assault. They all involve sexual acts - a shocker I know, being sexual assault under every other circumstance.
Where were Patriots fans when Aaron Hernandez killed a man? Probably hoping he got off so he could catch passes from Brady. After all, the guy he killed was probably a thug who deserved it right? SMH @ the selective witch hunting in here. Im out.
I don't know why 'patriots fans' needs to keep being mentioned over and over, its a sore act. Dispute the issue. "Ya, but Patriots fans" isn't a well thought out response to the topic. If you have nothing to add about the Manning accusations then maybe just move on?
While I generally agree with most of your opinions, the Patriot connection to all this negative Manning nonsense recentky, can't be denied. Just look at the threads. They have an agenda.

Hey guys, protip to keep you out of jail since you guys aren't Peyton Manning. There are very few circumstances when you can sit on a womans face and it not be sexual assault. They all involve sexual acts - a shocker I know, being sexual assault under every other circumstance.
Where were Patriots fans when Aaron Hernandez killed a man? Probably hoping he got off so he could catch passes from Brady. After all, the guy he killed was probably a thug who deserved it right? SMH @ the selective witch hunting in here. Im out.
I don't know why 'patriots fans' needs to keep being mentioned over and over, its a sore act. Dispute the issue. "Ya, but Patriots fans" isn't a well thought out response to the topic. If you have nothing to add about the Manning accusations then maybe just move on?
While I generally agree with most of your opinions, the Patriot connection to all this negative Manning nonsense recentky, can't be denied. Just look at the threads. They have an agenda.
Agenda or not, the thread has merit to at least be started and discussed.

I have no horse in the race, I just think the Anti-Patriots agenda has vastly outweighed the Pro-Patriots agenda in here and pretty much everywhere. It's unfortunate that someone else didn't start this thread first so we could avoid any talk of the Pats in here.

Still boils down do a bunch of Pat fans who had their feelings hurt the last year. What he's being accused of is typical young adult college crap. He didn't rub his butt in her face but he probably did moon her. Nothing to get all bent out of shape over, but Pats fans will do this because 2015 didn't go like they wanted it to so they go after their long time nemesis.
How would you know? He settled with her for $300K, you think he paid that because he mooned her?

Doesn't boil down to that at all. If you're attacking the motives of Patriot fans, I would say based on the team you cheer for and your many posts over the last few years that you are pretty much as impartial as they come on this matter.

I'm 27, been working and going to school for basically my entire adult life. I've never sat on a man or womans face ever, nor would I because its very clearly sexual assault.

####### please... So far you have said its not serious. That the writer has an agenda. Pats fans have an agenda. #### off with that garbage. You have an agenda sir.

Agenda or not, the thread has merit to at least be started and discussed. I have no horse in the race, I just think the Anti-Patriots agenda has vastly outweighed the Pro-Patriots agenda in here and pretty much everywhere. It's unfortunate that someone else didn't start this thread first so we could avoid any talk of the Pats in here.
if not for a Patriots fan, the thread likely would have never even existed.

I'm 27, been working and going to school for basically my entire adult life. I've never sat on a man or womans face ever, nor would I because its very clearly sexual assault.
So you are saying you have no first hand knowledge of college lockerroom behavior in the early 90's?

I still think he's a bullying jerk who should have been suspended at the time, and the way the university is reported to have responded is shameful and should have carried punishment as well but the notion of this rising to criminal behavior on Manning's part deserving of charges that carry jail time seems disproportionate.

Sadly the new reality is that people like to keep their pitchforks permanently sharpened.
agree here. Anyone calling for Jail time is being silly. It's likely brought up now because it was more common back then, but if something like this happened in current times it would be a much bigger deal. That doesn't change that what he did was wrong and should be talked about though.... nothing wrong with starting this thread and who started it is irrelevant.
I have no problem with starting the thread or acknowledging that Manning likely did something very wrong. I am a little surprised that the 19 year old Manning is being painted as the principal villain when it really looks like Mike Rollo was the enabler and ringleader of the accepted misogyny within the program. If this happened today Rollo would have lost his job as the first consequence. Manning certainly would have been suspended and perhaps kicked out of the program.

A suspension for Manning and Rollo losing his job seem like reasonable, proportionate responses for an infraction like this. Unlike the suggested maiming and criminal prosecution suggested by others.

I wonder what the NFL landscape would look like today if the Colts passed on Manning in favor of Leaf because of these allegations.

Agenda or not, the thread has merit to at least be started and discussed. I have no horse in the race, I just think the Anti-Patriots agenda has vastly outweighed the Pro-Patriots agenda in here and pretty much everywhere. It's unfortunate that someone else didn't start this thread first so we could avoid any talk of the Pats in here.
if not for a Patriots fan, the thread likely would have never even existed.
Agree to disagree on that. People start the most ridiculous threads in here every hour how would this not have came up? If you google "Peyton Manning" it's the first thing that comes up on your search and is everywhere right now on the internet. Surely you don't think THAT'S because of Patriot fans too.

This is clearly bigger than just Pats fans having some sort of perverse revenge. It should have been a bigger story over a decade ago, but it was buried. Now it's going to be that much bigger because Archie actively sought to cover it up (while trying to make it a racial thing, it appears) and also because now we have the Magic of Social Media. The Manning's should've faced the music back in the day.

How did you arrive at the bolded portion?

Wish we could drop the "Pats Fans" narrative in here. It's a topic worth some discussion regardless of the OP.

That being said I wish the ones calling for criminal charges (and maiming) would tone it down a bit.

Imagine being this woman, trying to do your job, and the "leader" of the team not only does this to you (after an incident two years earlier that the Manning family successfully was able to cover up, by the way, which I hadn't heard before yesterday's article) but continues to taunt you in your workplace by reenacting the harassment with teammates in your presence. Imagine making up to go to work every day wondering what additional embarrassment and humiliation is waiting for you by the person who robbed you of your dignity.

Those of you who simply laugh this off are part of the problem. Period. I hope none of you ever have daughters.
If it was my daughter I would have told her to go to the police.

It's the top story on ESPN.com right now yet the only reason it's a thread in the shark pool is because of bitter Pats fans? Even the Peyton loving ESPN is all over it.

Usually what happens, and what happened with this thread, is I'll be reading along and someone will say something about "only butthurt Pats fans" and I'll say "I don't think you have to be a butthurt Pats fan to think...."

And then we're off to the races.

So you are saying you have no first hand knowledge of college lockerroom behavior in the early 90's?
I was in elementary school in the early 90s so no I don't. But thats not what he said, he very clearly said its "typical young adult college crap" and other times in this thread he and others have said that this is common place behavior even now. As I said above, even if it is commonplace behavior, it is still sexual assault.

I still think he's a bullying jerk who should have been suspended at the time, and the way the university is reported to have responded is shameful and should have carried punishment as well but the notion of this rising to criminal behavior on Manning's part deserving of charges that carry jail time seems disproportionate.Sadly the new reality is that people like to keep their pitchforks permanently sharpened.
Agreed
I feel dirty...but I kind of like it.

I wouldn't want my children to be judged and locked into who they were at 19, of course not.

But, u r pretending that it was an isolated incident.

What about afterward? How old was Peyton in 2000, how old was Archie when they smeared the woman in their book about how wonderful their family was. The truth may have continued to have been buried had they not printed more lies.

It's as much about powerful people lying and destroying the less powerful as it is about a despicable locker room sexual assault. Don't take my word for it, here is what the judge had to say about the then 24, 25? year old peyton and his fraud salt of the earth daddy.

"Specifically, there is evidence of record, substantial enough to suggest that the defendants knew that the passages in question were false, or acted in reckless disregard of their falsity. There is evidence of record to suggest that there were obvious reasons to doubt the veracity of Peyton Manning's account of the incident in question. The court further finds that there is sufficient evidence to permit the conclusion that the defendants entertained serious doubts as to the truth of the passages in this case."

In other words, Judge Kornstein said that there is evidence to support the conclusion that Peyton Manning lied in his book about the incidents and knew that he was lying about the incidents.

It should have been a bigger story over a decade ago, but it was buried.
Maybe I'm old and mis-remembering, but this was a big deal when it happened. Maybe that was because I grew up in TN; was this not front page news back in the mid-90s? :shrug:

Maybe I'm old and mis-remembering, but this was a big deal when it happened. Maybe that was because I grew up in TN; was this not front page news back in the mid-90s? :shrug:
I don't really recall it but like others have mentioned, the age of the internet and social media has completely changed the flow of information.

I honestly don't remember it at all but I spent most of my early to mid 90's drunk and high and with no internet so not impossible for a story to have escaped me.

I wouldn't want my children to be judged and locked into who they were at 19, of course not.

What about afterward? How old was Peyton in 2000, how old was Archie when they smeared the woman in their book about how wonderful their family was. The truth may have continued to have been buried had they not printed more lies.

It's as much about powerful people lying and destroying the less powerful as it is about a despicable locker room sexual assault. Don't take my word for it, hear is what the judge had to say about the then 24, 25? year old peyton and his frad salt of the earth daddy.

"Specifically, there is evidence of record, substantial enough to suggest that the defendants knew that the passages in question were false, or acted in reckless disregard of their falsity. There is evidence of record to suggest that there were obvious reasons to doubt the veracity of Peyton Manning's account of the incident in question. The court further finds that there is sufficient evidence to permit the conclusion that the defendants entertained serious doubts as to the truth of the passages in this case."

In other words, Judge Kornstein said that there is evidence to support the conclusion that Peyton Manning lied in his book about the incidents and knew that he was lying about the incidents.
The same logic applies. I doubt he is the same person at 40 that he was at 19, 24 or 34.

The defamation case is interesting to talk about but it was settled 13 years ago. I am honestly not sure why this is a story now other than the fact that people love sensationalism and tearing down icons.

How would you know? He settled with her for $300K, you think he paid that because he mooned her?
I'm pretty sure if he sexually assaulted her physically (not visually), then someone else would speak up to the authorities (must admit I don't don't the details of the case so forgive me if they have already spoken up to the police). As mentioned above "The defamation case is interesting to talk about but it was settled 13 years ago. I am honestly not sure why this is a story now other than the fact that people love sensationalism and tearing down icons."

Probably, if something good could come of the whole deal (which it totally won't) would be if these institutions would remake their cultures so that, as moleculo says, what is currently common junk like this isn't appropriate anymore.

Probably, if something good could come of the whole deal (which it totally won't) would be if these institutions would remake their cultures so that, as moleculo says, what is currently common junk like this isn't appropriate anymore.
pun intended?

The contents of the 74 page document were buried. There's plenty in that court filing that is new and newsworthy. And then there's the stuff Peyton's legal team had redacted that we still don't have knowledge of, and likely never will. Do you think that would reflect well on the Manning's?

It's as much about powerful people lying and destroying the less powerful as it is about a despicable locker room sexual assault. Don't take my word for it, hear is what the judge had to say about the then 24, 25? year old peyton and his frad salt of the earth daddy.

The same logic applies. I doubt he is the same person at 40 that he was at 19, 24 or 34.

The defamation case is interesting to talk about but it was settled 13 years ago. I am honestly not sure why this is a story now other than the fact that people love sensationalism and tearing down icons.
I think I can tell you why it is a story now.

It is because many people feel there are double standards with how some people are treated by the media and how others are treated.

It is because sexual assaults are taken much more seriously now (ask any woman u know if she considers what he did a sexual assault, of course it was).

It is because people don't like hypocrites and frauds.

It is because people don't like to see people with power stomp all over people who are powerless.

And yes, it is partly because people love to build up and then tear people down.

Its all of those things imho.

I wouldn't want my children to be judged and locked into who they were at 19, of course not.But, u r pretending that it was an isolated incident.

375]"Specifically, there is evidence of record, substantial enough to suggest that the defendants knew that the passages in question were false, or acted in reckless disregard of their falsity. There is evidence of record to suggest that there were obvious reasons to doubt the veracity of Peyton Manning's account of the incident in question. The court further finds that there is sufficient evidence to permit the conclusion that the defendants entertained serious doubts as to the truth of the passages in this case."

375]In other words, Judge Kornstein said that there is evidence to support the conclusion that Peyton Manning lied in his book about the incidents and knew that he was lying about the incidents.
The same logic applies. I doubt he is the same person at 40 that he was at 19, 24 or 34.The defamation case is interesting to talk about but it was settled 13 years ago. I am honestly not sure why this is a story now other than the fact that people love sensationalism and tearing down icons.

It is because many people feel there are double standards with how some people are treated by the media and how others are treated.

It is because sexual assaults are taken much more seriously now (ask any woman u know if she considers what he did a sexual assault, of course it was).

It is because people don't like to see people with power stomp all over people who are powerless.

And yes, it is partly because people love to build up and then tear people down.

It's mainly because of a federal lawsuit filed by 6 women against UT last week, which exposes the culture of sexual assaults and coverup by the university: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/02/09/sweeping-sexual-assault-suit-filed-against-ut/79966450/

I do as I please around here Deamon. Your suggestions wont change that. Happy Valentines Day bud!

Is Manning being treated by some different standard? This story was covered years ago and it's front and center of every media outlet today.

Ask a woman? I was unaware that women were the final arbiters about what is and isn't sexual assault. Does that mean if it was a male athletic trainer it wouldn't have been sexual assault? Bullying seems like a more accurate description. Bullying is not any better than sexual assault BTW but I think using the latter term is very calculated to make this sound as sensational as possible.

I doubt anyone thinks Manning is any more of a hypocrite or fraud today than they did before this story broke...again. The story is acting more as tool for confirmation bias. If you liked him before the story, you pass it off as "boys will be boys" if you didn't like him then you play the "sexual predator" theme. From my perspective if you think people who live in the public eye are exactly who you see in the media I think that is a problem with your interpretation/expectation.

Did Manning stomp all over with the check he cut her for an undisclosed sum (on top of the $300k UT gave her)? If she lost her job because of something he wrote in his book she should probably file suit against her former employer for wrongful termination.

@Chaka

Yes, it certainly appears that Manning was treated differently because of who he was.

Yes, ask as many women (and men) as you can and see how many of them don't consider what he did to be sexual assault; it is rather insane to argue otherwise.

Oy, she did lose her job over something peyton and daddy wrote in their book and she did file suit; that's why she had to be paid off a second time.

Maybe this was addressed earlier in the thread. I read the first 15 or so posts early on, so please excuse the (Honda) if it's such.

Why was he naked when she was addressing his stress fracture in his foot? If he wasn't initially, how'd he get that way while his foot was being examined? Just wondering. Sounds fishy.

Regarding haters, everybody has 'em. Me, you, everybody. Same with admirers. Problem with fame is that it multiplies both camps.

I heard Peyton stole a girl's Blowpop, and then smacked her, in kindergarten.

Where's the outrage?!?!

If this incident didn't get swept under the rug I wonder if Peyton would legally have to register as a sex offender?

Some people in this thread don't seem to know the definition of sexual assault:

Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.

If you think his physical actions were just some locker room, frat boy antics of a legal adult subject to all laws (let alone what they did to her after the sexual assault ) , then I hope you don't have a daughter, sister, gf, or wife that ever has to go through this. Women are not the sole arbiter of sexual assault, the law is. This is the 21st century, people should treat others with respect and compassion especially in the workplace.

More will come out this week, and it will damage his legacy.

Maybe this was addressed earlier in the thread. I read the first 15 or so posts early on, so please excuse the (Honda) if it's such.

Why was he naked when she was addressing his stress fracture in his foot? If he wasn't initially, how'd he get that way while his foot was being examined? Just wondering. Sounds fishy.

Regarding haters, everybody has 'em. Me, you, everybody. Same with admirers. Problem with fame is that it multiplies both camps.
According to testimony by Rollo & Saxson it appears he pulled his pants\shorts down. "Peyton, you messed up. I still don't know why you dropped your drawers."

NE_REVIVAL said:
daveR said:

According to testimony by Rollo & Saxson it appears he pulled his pants\shorts down. "Peyton, you messed up. I still don't know why you dropped your drawers."
So he pulled down his pants and put his butt in her face?

Users who are viewing this thread